You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Hofstra University
Started by Lawpy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
doesn't apply to me but I know people said they had trouble with it at first last year tooanybody else having trouble with accepting their terms and conditions on the Hofstra website? it wont let me do it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you interviewed in December and this this thread is blowing up with acceptances for September dudes. My heart can't handle this stress
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! Interviewed end of September! Sooooo incredibly excited for this school! 

road-to-MD-123
Full Member
congrats everyone!! lizzyms?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
people were first accepted dec 20/21 and rejections/waitlists weren't sent out until jan 12 and laterCongratulations to those accepted! For the rest of still waiting - last year's sdn makes it seem like they sent acceptances one day followed by waitlists/rejections/deferrals a couple of days later.
congrats everyone!! lizzyms?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
LM 77
Congrats! Did you get the A in the morning, or sometime later?Joining the A-train. Super excited!! Hofstra seems awesome 🙂
whoisagoodboy
Full Member
Accepted in the morning! Interviewed 11/1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you were accepted please join the accepted student FB group!
Log into Facebook | Facebook
Log into Facebook | Facebook
Did anyone get accepted from the 10/25 group?
or sept 20, i'm v sad i didn't hear today 🙁Did anyone get accepted from the 10/25 group?
Same i feel you, my heart sank nglor sept 20, i'm v sad i didn't hear today 🙁
Same. Early October interview here. Silence today 🙁Same i feel you, my heart sank ngl
Hoping to hear soon 🙁 I loved this school!
Doctordoctor4321
New Member
Any news today?
Doesn’t seem like it. Definitely thought there’d be more acceptances todayAny news today?
Accepted a few days ago! Interviewed late october. When I was there they said they'd accept some people in mid december and then do the rest of decisions in late january.
For those accepted, idk if I am reading the letter wrong, but do we have to make a deposit by the 24th or our app is withdrawn?
For those accepted, idk if I am reading the letter wrong, but do we have to make a deposit by the 24th or our app is withdrawn?
admissions told my group we would definitely have our decisions before the holidays in December. no mention of January decisions and I also interviewed in late October ...Accepted a few days ago! Interviewed late october. When I was there they said they'd accept some people in mid december and then do the rest of decisions in late january.
For those accepted, idk if I am reading the letter wrong, but do we have to make a deposit by the 24th or our app is withdrawn?
I was september and they told us acceptances in december (not sure if that means all acceptances) and waitlists/rejections in january (which is also what happened last year based off the SDN thread)admissions told my group we would definitely have our decisions before the holidays in December. no mention of January decisions and I also interviewed in late October ...
I just find it so odd that they told different groups different things...100% they did not even mention January on my interview dayI was september and they told us acceptances in december (not sure if that means all acceptances) and waitlists/rejections in january (which is also what happened last year based off the SDN thread)
I just find it so odd that they told different groups different things...100% they did not even mention January on my interview day
My mistake I just checked and I actually interviewed November 1st. So maybe they had that figured out by then? No clue honestly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
notgonnabeawalrus
Full Member
I feel like I am watching someone else kiss my prom date. I was so excited about this place. Since there was only one day of acceptances this year and two days last year, you guys think there is any hope? : (
whaling.around
Full Member
oof i also interviewed 11/1 and radio silence... i knew it after my MMIs ouch
Anyone who interviewed in Dec heard back?
Just want to encourage others who are in pre-II limbo--got an II earlier this month! Lots of dates open.
That is great to hear, however those interested in the MDPhD program that are still in pre-II phase, they stopped interviewing for their spots. Heard it myself from Program Director.
Nope. Interviewed the first week of December.Anyone who interviewed in Dec heard back?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Just got my first acceptance today :') It's such a big relief and I'm super f*cking excited because I loved this place. Interviewed mid November
Congrats!! *its happening again* cue throw-up bc haven’t heard back yetJust got my first acceptance today :') It's such a big relief and I'm super f*cking excited because I loved this place. Interviewed mid November
Lol rip. Same thoCongrats!! *its happening again* cue throw-up bc haven’t heard back yet
No they don'tInterviewing here in a few weeks, does Hofstra do student hosts?
Just got my first acceptance today :') It's such a big relief and I'm super f*cking excited because I loved this place. Interviewed mid November
Accepted today!! Interviewed mid-November. Super excited about this place
What days did you interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
whaling.around
Full Member
anyone know if we should give up hope of hearing back post II in 2018?
honestly, i think so. it seemed they sent out acceptances for two weeks and probably will reconvene next year with waitlists and rejections, judging by last year's thread. but don't quote me, i'm not an adcom obviously!
So what do you guys think will be the current trend with hofstra for years to come? I was reading some previous threads about it and sometimes it is compared to Einstein and other upper-mid-tiers of the like, but the school has floated ~70 for two years now. I get that the school is new and has the Northwell system, but does anybody else think it should have climbed higher by now? How do you guys think hofstra compares to stonybrook and downstate/how it will compare in a couple years? Thanks 🙂
I talked to the Program director about this. You see, none of Hofstra graduates have had the opportunity to do any work. Their first entry class was in 2010 meaning their medical graduates have just finished residency, thus they have just begun their career.
Furthermore, it has been 2 years since the first MDPhD graduating class, meaning they are still in their residency. As for being compared with Einstein, that much is true. I talked too 2 attendings and the PD for MDPhD, all of which said that their current state is that of Einstein and they have huge potential too grow. None of their students scored below STEP average so far which imo is a huge plus.
Final note the MDPhD program director was the MDPhD director at Einstein for 18 years, so I would trust her word.
Furthermore, it has been 2 years since the first MDPhD graduating class, meaning they are still in their residency. As for being compared with Einstein, that much is true. I talked too 2 attendings and the PD for MDPhD, all of which said that their current state is that of Einstein and they have huge potential too grow. None of their students scored below STEP average so far which imo is a huge plus.
Final note the MDPhD program director was the MDPhD director at Einstein for 18 years, so I would trust her word.
So what do you guys think will be the current trend with hofstra for years to come? I was reading some previous threads about it and sometimes it is compared to Einstein and other upper-mid-tiers of the like, but the school has floated ~70 for two years now. I get that the school is new and has the Northwell system, but does anybody else think it should have climbed higher by now? How do you guys think hofstra compares to stonybrook and downstate/how it will compare in a couple years? Thanks 🙂
I want to preface this post by saying that I'm a current MS2 here at Zucker, so this may be a bit biased.
First of all, the US News ranking is not the most accurate way to gauge the caliber of a medical school as a large percentage of the ranking metric is dependent on research funding. As such, research giants like Harvard and Hopkins consistently remain at the top while Zucker, which gets much less NIH funding, ranks lower. If one were to remove the research metric, I'd venture to say that Hofstra/Zucker is a top 20-30 school, comparable to schools like Rochester, Einstein, Case Western, BU, etc. The unique curriculum, early clinical exposure, small class size, brand new facilities, and affiliation to Northwell make Hofstra/Zucker an incredible school to study medicine. While Stony Brook and Downstate may be more established, I believe Hofstra is trending upwards and will continue to do so, even if the US News ranking doesn't reflect it. In addition to the impressive match lists for the past 4 years, the current MS3 class scored in the top 15th percentile for step 1.
I hope this post was helpful. If you have other questions, feel free to DM me! Best of luck in your decision!
A brilliant point I forgot to mention. In 10 years with its graduate not being able to perform, Hofstra had managed to accrue 26 Million dollars in Funding. This is half of Stony brooks and many other well known institutions. Northwell connecion is great but what really shine imo is the Cold Spring Harbor connection. Ya boi James Watson was the director of that research giant at one point in time!
I'm really hyped for this school and really hope I get in
I'm really hyped for this school and really hope I get in
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K