2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, 2nd year Joplin native here. Let me know if you have any questions! I'll be in and out answering questions as I can, or throwing them to other current students. Best of luck in your applications!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email saying they received my app and are processing to determine secondary eligibility. Anybody know if they screen for more than stats?

Hey all, 2nd year Joplin native here. Let me know if you have any questions! I'll be in and out answering questions as I can, or throwing them to other current students. Best of luck in your applications!

Hey! So I actually have an II to the Joplin campus coming up. I just wanted to know what was your take on the pros and cons to both campuses.

Hey guys. First year at Joplin here. Although not native to the area, I can answer whatever I can. I will be in and out due to studying but I can try to answer some other questions that anyone might have.

Hey! So I actually have an II to the Joplin campus coming up. I just wanted to know what was your take on the pros and cons to both campuses.

I think that (secretly) Joplin is the better campus.

Area Comparison: Joplin's campus is in a much safer area. We don't have a "stab-and-grab" right across the street. Joplin as a whole is a pretty safe city. The trade-off is we don't have quite as much to offer for leisure time as KC does. Will you die of boredom? No, but you just won't have nearly as much to choose from. Traffic is amazing in Joplin, in that it rarely exists if you stay off of Rangeline and 32nd street. KC? Well, best leave a few minutes earlier than you think you need to (unless you are at CT).

Campus Comparison:
-Joplin is a brand new facility that is entirely housed in one building. That means that we have less study space overall, but it doesn't really become a problem except when there is a test in the next day or two. A lot of us just study at home or at local coffee shops. Our anatomy lab also has more sinks than KC's (to wash that sweet funk off, but it doesn't come off). Also, KCU is reviewing the possibility of adding a Dental School here in Joplin. Joplin also recently added hours at a community clinic that serves the uninsured of the area. We get one night a year where we get to play doctor in a real clinical setting under the guidance of our PCM faculty. I haven't done it yet, but I hear it is fantastic.
-KC is older, but not out of date by any means. They have an entire building dedicated to study rooms, but I hear it still gets busy up there around test times. Their library is much bigger than the one in Joplin. KC also has a coffee shop, so that's pretty neat. KC also has the COB and PsyD program students on campus. It's always great to have non-medical student people to talk to. KC currently has Score1 where they visit area elementary schools and do free physicals for the students there. Joplin might be getting this sometime soon?

Rotations Comparison:
-This is where I think Joplin really shines. Freeman Health System and Mercy both donated a lot of money (Mercy in the form of the school building). They both really wanted the school to be here and have given KCU-Joplin a lot of rotation slots in the area. I spoke with a ATSU student recently who said that they lost spots at Freeman because of us, so it sounds like we are going to be the major school at the hospital. KC students can pick up leftover spots here in Joplin, but we get priority for the local slots. Freeman has multiple ACGME residencies (ENT, Internal Med, ER, Psych). If you are interested in one of those fields, Joplin would be a great place.
-KC has access to a lot of big hospitals with more residency programs to get involved with. If you are interested in a hard to get into specialty, KC might be a better choice. However, there are a lot of MD schools in the KC area competing with you for their attention. It will still be difficult to get involved.

There's a lot more that could be said (and KC students, if I didn't do your campus justice please jump in and correct me), but this should get you started.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewing here on Wednesday. Excited and nervous!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck, there's more than a few of us Joplin students around on the forums
Thank you!! I got an email in December saying that they weren't looking to review anymore applications, so very pleasantly surprised today! (Maybe) see you soon!!!!

Wondering if any accepted ones from GA/Atlanta ..

Interview tomorrow in Joplin. 3.6cgpa/3.7sgpa 502 MCAT. I anyone wants to hang out or share a car, hit me up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

I tried the Red Onion Cafe downtown. It was excellent, highly recommend.
20190201_173300.jpeg
20190201_180413.jpeg

I interviewed on February 21st. I am now obsessively checking my email for any kind of correspondence, lol. Best of luck to everyone!

I interviewed on February 21st. I am now obsessively checking my email for any kind of correspondence, lol. Best of luck to everyone!
At least give it a few weeks before going crazy

I interviewed on Feb 1. Still haven't heard anything. Doesn't stop me from checking my email all the time.

Just accepted to Joplin campus. Couldn't be more excited!

As a reminder, if you haven't done so, make sure to go get your titers checked now. I was immunized against everything as a child, but now I have zero antibodies against Hep B, Measles, Rubella, and Meningitis. It takes minimum 4-6 months for the Hep b vaccination course alone, so if you don't start now you might not be able to matriculate.

As a reminder, if you haven't done so, make sure to go get your titers checked now. I was immunized against everything as a child, but now I have zero antibodies against Hep B, Measles, Rubella, and Meningitis. It takes minimum 4-6 months for the Hep b vaccination course alone, so if you don't start now you might not be able to matriculate.
As long as you start it you are fine. I didnt finish mine till December

For those of you who are accepted, congratulations! You will be told you are required to purchase a med kit. Save some money and use Amazon/Ebay. Here is an Amazon List with some the necessities and extra recommended items for your viewing pleasure.

Edit: If one of you would post it on your Facebook Student's page for your classmates, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I'm not a part of that group :p

I was impressed by accepted students day. I really like the campus building and everyone from faculty to students was warm and friendly.

Just withdrew my Acceptance here. Hope it quickly goes to one of yall on the waitlist!

For the Joplin ymca membership we get, if we have a family, can we add them at a discounted rate?

Yes, I asked about this. Sorry I don't recall how much it is. But yes get a discount for the family.

For the Joplin ymca membership we get, if we have a family, can we add them at a discounted rate?
Yes, not sure on how much the family discount is but it was only $15/month for my partner to join.

So I finally caved and made a Facebook. How do we find the class group for 2023?

Littmann Classic III is on sale at amazon right now if you still need a stethoscope. $65 is a pretty good deal, IMO. It is about the same as a II SE, but not as good as a Cardiology III/IV (but about 1/3 the price). I'll add it to the KCU Unofficial med list, too.

Littmann Classic III is on sale at amazon right now if you still need a stethoscope. $65 is a pretty good deal, IMO. It is about the same as a II SE, but not as good as a Cardiology III/IV (but about 1/3 the price). I'll add it to the KCU Unofficial med list, too.
I will add that I realllly like my Cardio IV

I saw KCU has a specialty honors track. Is this available to us or only the KC kids?

Joplin too. It means you rotate 3rd year in KC though

Got off the waitlist here! Trying to decide between UIWSOM in San Antonio, which is newer and has a PBL curriculum. (I'm from Texas and would like to do residency in Texas.)

Got off the waitlist here! Trying to decide between UIWSOM in San Antonio, which is newer and has a PBL curriculum. (I'm from Texas and would like to do residency in Texas.)

For me, the main selling points of Joplin are 1) KCU name (I know DO prestige isn't a thing but they have name value in the midwest at least), 2) proven curriculum with good board scores, and 3) 2 big clinical rotation sites (Freeman and Mercy), with Freeman even having residencies. Obviously San Antonio blows Joplin out of the water as a city, but I figure I won't have much free time during school anyway.