2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Are you AM or PM that day?
I’ll be there at 10am. There was only the 8am or 10am options. I’m coming from the west coast so 8am CST is a little too early for me. You?

Members don't see this ad.

II yesterday. Spots filled fast, geez. Scheduled for Joplin on 10/29.

I hope that where you interview is not a deciding factor on where you're accepted. Joplin's not bad, but KC would be obviously much nicer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
good luck to all of us interviewing today!

II yesterday. Spots filled fast, geez. Scheduled for Joplin on 10/29.

I hope that where you interview is not a deciding factor on where you're accepted. Joplin's not bad, but KC would be obviously much nicer.
Its not

Reactions: 1 users
good luck to all of us interviewing today!

Saw you guys hanging out at the coffee shop area today and you guys looked nice! Have fun and good luck! Don't stress out too much and enjoy your time before school starts. KCU was my top DO choice and I'm so glad I am here. They really care about you.

II yesterday! Went home to consult with my SO about interview dates and they filled up for KC by the time I logged back in! I'll continue checking the portal for KC slots (cheaper flights).

I’ll be there at 10am. There was only the 8am or 10am options. I’m coming from the west coast so 8am CST is a little too early for me. You?
I'm at 8 am. I'm flying in the day before and it made flying out a little easier. But I'm sure I'll still see you there that day!

is a water bottle provided on interview day (KC campus) or should we bring our own? thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
damn, maybe I'll cancel that then. where is everyone else staying?
Yeah, I would definitely cancel. The area around the school is pretty sketch. Not worth saving a couple bucks.

Yeah, I would definitely cancel. The area around the school is pretty sketch. Not worth saving a couple bucks.

cancelled that shady motel. thanks for looking out for me guys :bow:

stayed at Hotel Indigo and it was such a great hotel that was like 7 min from campus. Paid about $120.

The faculty/staff interviewing us were soo nice and supportive. 8 three minute interviews that were very conversational. Good luck to us waiting to hear back now and to those interviewing! This school has become my top choice after today.

*edit*: I meant to say three, 8 minute interviews hehe :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
for people who are students/have visited the KCU campus - do you have suggestions for someone who wants to get to know/tour the area the evening after the interview or the day after? thanks!

just wanted to see what the student life would be like

stayed at Hotel Indigo and it was such a great hotel that was like 7 min from campus. Paid about $120.

The faculty/staff interviewing us were soo nice and supportive. 8 three minute interviews that were very conversational. Good luck to us waiting to hear back now and to those interviewing! This school has become my top choice after today.

Wait, 8, three minute interviews or 3, eight minute interviews? People have mentioned the latter. Thanks. Good luck.

for people who are students/have visited the KCU campus - do you have suggestions for someone who wants to get to know/tour the area the evening after the interview or the day after? thanks!

just wanted to see what the student life would be like

look up "Kansas City Fun Bus Tour"! I did it the day before my interview and it was a 90 minute tour bus that took us all over the city! It was really fun and only cost $20. I also had a chance to bring it up during the interview haha ;)

Wait, 8, three minute interviews or 3, eight minute interviews? People have mentioned the latter. Thanks. Good luck.

hey there! Thanks for catching my typo! You do three interviews. Each is just you and a single faculty/staff. Each lasts 8 minutes and a timer goes off after the 8 minutes are over. You then rotate to the next person interviewing you.

Also, CLOSED FILE!

Last edited:
Ambassadors mentioned that they have bigger interview groups this year, with less interview days. One of them also said they moved most, if not all, interviews to the fall. All I’m saying is that we’ll probably hear sooner than later.

Admissions also mentioned a 65-70% acceptance rate post interview. This was exciting pre-interview, now I’m scared I’ll be part of the 30% lol

65-70% acceptance rate post interview sounds amazing!

Reactions: 2 users
Still anxiously waiting to hear back after my interview ahhhhh

Reactions: 2 users

+2
That's the best way to sum it up. I don't think I messed up (in my unprofessional/non-admissions committee opinion)... but I don't think I did any favors for myself. Fingers crossed... I really liked the school.

Current Joplin OS1 student procrastinating my studies for muscoskeletal final tomorrow.. so decided to visit this stress inducing, garbage website.

If it helps relieve anyone's anxiety, I was accepted with a 3.15 GPA (upward trend tho) and a 515 MCAT. Very minimal volunteer, clinical or research experience.

Good luck yall.

Reactions: 8 users
Current Joplin OS1 student procrastinating my studies for muscoskeletal final tomorrow.. so decided to visit this stress inducing, garbage website.

If it helps relieve anyone's anxiety, I was accepted with a 3.15 GPA (upward trend tho) and a 515 MCAT. Very minimal volunteer, clinical or research experience.

Good luck yall.
+1 on the procrastinating MSK studying. Good to know I’m not alone :) now go get one of Dr. Kinde’s cookies, they’re pretty good :)

+1 on the procrastinating MSK studying. Good to know I’m not alone :) now go get one of Dr. Kinde’s cookies, they’re pretty good :)
Better hurry they are almost all gone

Good luck yall.

How are exams set up for classes? Are you tested every week like CCOM? Thanks.

Good luck yall.

515, that’s a pretty solid number haha. I mean, that’s way above the average for MD as well. I don’t know if that is supposed to ease our nerves or worry us more. Good luck on the exam.

Last edited:
How are exams set up for classes? Are you tested every week like CCOM? Thanks.
Nah it varies by class. For example, our first class was only 3 weeks so the first exam was a week in and our final covered the remaining 2 weeks. Now that we are in musculoskeletal, it’s a 6 week course and our exams were scheduled for the 3 and 6 week mark. Also the exams are not cumulative!

Reactions: 4 users
515, that’s a pretty solid number haha. I mean, that’s way above the average for MD as well. I don’t know if that is supposed to ease our nerves or worry us more. Good luck on the exam.
The average for our class was a 505. There's a few of us high MCAT low GPA people.

For those that interviewed, what was it like, more conversational or Q &A? It was faculty correct, not current students and do you happen to know if it was open or closed file?
Everything was closed file. Personally, mine were more Q & A, but I think that really depends on the interviewer you have and how you connect with them. It is faculty, but they can be any KCU staff and don't have to be directly tied to the medical school program. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Hey guys how long do they take to send out secondaries?

KCU pre-screens applications before sending out secondary app invites, so it takes a little longer. My AACOMAS was verified on 6/22/18 and I received a KCU secondary invitation on 8/13/18. Hope that helps.

A few questions for current/former students. I am hoping to have a better idea before the interview.

1. How easy is it for students to participate in current research or begin their own through a mentor?
2. What opportunities are there for students to volunteer in community health clinics?
3. Can students start new organizations? Looking at different schools, you see different organizations/activities and I was curious what it would take to start a new organization on campus.
4. If an academic need arises, does the program have resources available for students?
5. Do students travel between campuses in their first two years?
6. For students in clerkship years, how do students select locations for core rotations? I see a list of participating programs on the site and I am curious what these sites offer. Do students usually receive their top choices?

Sorry, if any of these are repeats from previous OP's.

Thanks all.

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been answered. How long after being complete are people getting II’s.

Thanks

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been answered. How long after being complete are people getting II’s.

Thanks

I got mine two weeks after but that was earlier in the cycle. The school may have a stack to go through now. Patience and deep breaths.

I heard from Adcoms that many schools don’t do them in any specific order.

Interviewed here last month at the KC campus. Kansas City seemed cool and you can't argue with the school's match history in the past couple years. Really impressed--it will certainly be a difficult choice to make if I am accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed here last month at the KC campus. Kansas City seemed cool and you can't argue with the school's match history in the past couple years. Really impressed--it will certainly be a difficult choice to make if I am accepted.

All DO schools have extremely similar match lists. Even the newest DO schools are matching people into the same places as the older ones. It's time to stop talking about DO match lists.

All DO schools have extremely similar match lists. Even the newest DO schools are matching people into the same places as the older ones. It's time to stop talking about DO match lists.
I respectfully disagree with you. Although no DO match list is similar to MD match lists, all DO schools are not necessarily alike. Neither are their match lists. Extremely similar is a bit too much in my humble opinion. Similar? Yes, absolutely. Moreover, I really don't think all DO schools match people into the same places. Just compare the KCU match list to WVSOM match list. There are significantly more matches at hospitals associated with larger state universities. I found this to be true especially with the anesthesiology and internal medicine sections. Now what is better and impressive is really subjective. If I am mistaken, feel free to correct me. I am open to a friendly discussion. :)

Reactions: 11 users