2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year we only did 5-6 SP encounters.
Wow, we've already had 3 (4 if you count the first intro one)! I also heard we've gone further earlier than you guys had as far as documenting and stuff, so I guess they made changes.

Members don't see this ad.

Lectures are recorded here right?
Not all, but they'll tell you if they're not recording. There are certain professors that will decide not to release recordings if not a lot of people show up, but it's rare.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it too late to apply here? I have my primary app verified and am thinking about sending my app here, but it looks like the interview spots for KC campus (where I would be much more interested) already filled up? Not sure if that makes it a no-go.

[Edited in]: Does the lack of interview slot for KC campus mean that an applicant would only be considered for admission for Joplin campus only from this point on?

LM 68 with a decent app (DO shadowing/letter, pubs, good ECs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to apply here? I have my primary app verified and am thinking about sending my app here, but it looks like the interview spots for KC campus (where I would be much more interested) already filled up? Not sure if that makes it a no-go.

LM 68 with a decent app (DO shadowing/letter, pubs, good ECs).

Apply

Does the lack of interview slot for KC campus mean that an applicant would only be considered for admission for Joplin campus only from this point on though? Not sure how to interpret that.

Does the lack of interview slot for KC campus mean that an applicant would only be considered for admission for Joplin campus only from this point on though? Not sure how to interpret that.

It doesn’t.
And from the general sound of it, it seems like more people have been getting accepted to Joplin. Maybe this is intentional bc KC is the more desirable place

It doesn’t.
And from the general sound of it, it seems like more people have been getting accepted to Joplin. Maybe this is intentional bc KC is the more desirable place

I’m ecstatic about KCU Joplin. No complaints and I’m from Chi. Different strokes for different folks. This is a great campus and a solid program.

Apply. If you put a specific location down, that’s what you would get, if accepted. If you put either, the school would select it for you and you cannot change it later.

They release more interview slots as time goes on. And if you put no campus preference, interview location des not determine your placement

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

Interviewing in KC on Tuesday 11/6 in the afternoon session. Anyone else?
Also, any suggestions on things to go do/see the evening before? I fly into KC early afternoon Monday. Thanks in advance!

Also interviewing on 11/6 but I'm in the morning group! I'm driving down to KC from Madison on Monday--it's gonna be a lot of podcast and jamming to the 90s I tell ya.

Reactions: 2 users
Just letting you all know that if it appears Joplin has more acceptances at this point, it's either an illusion or a total fluke. Unless they're planning on totally changing things up, their campus has ~100 fewer students per class. I'm also really happy to see that more and more people seem to be advocating for Joplin, since in my application cycle (first year with Joplin) people were on here saying KCU was their number one choice, but they would turn down an acceptance if it was to the Joplin campus. We are the same school, with the same curriculum. Living in a smaller town for a couple years shouldn't be that big of a deciding factor if you love the school otherwise!

Reactions: 1 users
Just letting you all know that if it appears Joplin has more acceptances at this point, it's either an illusion or a total fluke. Unless they're planning on totally changing things up, their campus has ~100 fewer students per class. I'm also really happy to see that more and more people seem to be advocating for Joplin, since in my application cycle (first year with Joplin) people were on here saying KCU was their number one choice, but they would turn down an acceptance if it was to the Joplin campus. We are the same school, with the same curriculum. Living in a smaller town for a couple years shouldn't be that big of a deciding factor if you love the school otherwise!

Agreed. Love the school.

When I applied, I put down preference for “both campuses”. I somewhat favored the KC campus.... but after visiting KCU Joplin on Interview day, and learning about their clinical education, I was all for Joplin. I am very happy I ended up getting accepted there.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my thoughts.

This isn’t college. This isn’t professional life where you are making money and living the good life, going out.

You are working immensely hard for a few years to reap the reward later. You will bond with your classmates.

What you should care about.
Can you get a good education?
Can you excel in the environment?
Do they have resources for you to succeed?
Do you feel comfortable?
Do you like the town enough to visit it after test day?
Is it safe enough for you?
Are you comfortable with the housing situation?
Does the program care about you?
Does the program offer solid clinical rotations?

Your board scores are on you.
Your networking out of state is on you.

Rock it and do your best.

Two years will fly by. Start to make those memories.

Reactions: 9 users
1. Who cares what people think
2. I've interacted with a lot of people from KC since moving here that aren't involved in medicine and a big chunk of them know about KCU

Sorry if that came off harsh, but it's what it is-- just wait until you have to explain to someone what a DO is the first time, or get told you're "not a real doctor". Don't worry what others think, just do you

My brother found out I might be going DO and he had no idea what it was and after he looked it up he told my mom he hopes I can get a job after....even family is ignorant. Lmao

My brother found out I might be going DO and he had no idea what it was and after he looked it up he told my mom he hopes I can get a job after....even family is ignorant. Lmao
Send him the link to the labor statistics for MD and DO, that should help.

Accepted two days ago at Kansas City! Interviewed 9/25.

Reactions: 10 users
Those who have gotten accepted to the Joplin campus need to connect to the facebook group. Theres only like 8 homies in there so far :(

So, I assume you got a second email containing information about the facebook page and other important information regarding next steps?

Joplin Campus students: Some general questions about housing around Joplin.

Does the school send out any information on resources for housing?

Would you recommend/not recommend certain apartment complexes or areas around campus? Did you have a great or terrible experience with a unit?

Is there good housing within walking distance of campus?

Did you have roommates and enjoy the arrangement?

Thanks all.

So, I assume you got a second email containing information about the facebook page and other important information regarding next steps?
Yes I did about 7 days after I got my acceptance.

Would you recommend/not recommend certain apartment complexes or areas around campus? Did you have a great or terrible experience with a unit?

Thanks all.
My house is literally across the street. 3b2ba with one roomate

My house is literally across the street. 3b2ba with one roomate

Thanks.

I remember students telling me about housing in the area but I didn’t get details or information about how difficult it is to get something reasonable around campus.

Yes I did about 7 days after I got my acceptance.

After your acceptance or after you paid a deposit? Accepted to KC campus but have not gotten an email about a FB page I think. Has anyone else from KC

After your acceptance or after you paid a deposit? Accepted to KC campus but have not gotten an email about a FB page I think. Has anyone else from KC
Acceptance. I have not yet paid my deposit because broke.

Thanks all.

The school on the matriculation page had a link for information, but I also, at the recommendation of the school, called a local realtor that specializes in helping the new students find housing.

Many people live in Terrace Green, Plaza, Rustic Ridge, Villas, Campbell Reserve, and Copper Point. They are all decent options. Some live alone (like myself), and some live with roommates. This is honestly personal preference. (I would warn you Villas is expensive, but with a roommate, the cost goes down. Also they are nice). None of the apartments are really within walking distance. There are many also in condos, houses or duplexes either with families or with roommates. Few are within walking distance, but honestly I would recommend a car to get around.

Even if you live in one of the houses close to campus, car is recommended because it is not walking distance to grocery, etc.

The matriculation page will eventually have a ton of useful links to help you, and the realtor I talked to helped me get into an apartment, but he also published a list to help get people into homes to buy or rent. Many with families chose to rent houses over apartments.

Hello, I'm not sure if I missed the thread that talked about interview dates, but I just got an II, and the dates are pretty limited. Does anyone know if more dates will open up?

Hello, I'm not sure if I missed the thread that talked about interview dates, but I just got an II, and the dates are pretty limited. Does anyone know if more dates will open up?

Lots of stuff on this earlier in the thread, but more dates will open up. If you're worried about interviewing at the campus you don't want to attend, don't be, as it won't affect where you are accepted.

Lots of stuff on this earlier in the thread, but more dates will open up. If you're worried about interviewing at the campus you don't want to attend, don't be, as it won't affect where you are accepted.
thank you!

Still looking to share a hotel room with someone (two nights) Dec 5 to Dec 7 for my interview that is on Dec 6! Broke grad student here! Message me if you're interested!

Still looking to share a hotel room with someone (two nights) Dec 5 to Dec 7 for my interview that is on Dec 6! Broke grad student here! Message me if you're interested!
I know someone at my interview today stayed with a student from KCU, maybe ask admissions if there are students who have offered or check Airbnb to see if someone has a listing on there.

Thought you guys might appreciate an update on KCU Joplin. It looks like Freeman Health System (one of two major hospital groups in Joplin) is now a KCU-Joplin exclusive teaching hospital. They offer 60 slots for clerkships.
Freeman has residencies in IM, ER, ENT, and Psych and is currently hiring a PD for a FM program that should be open for the class if 2021. Freeman is also investigating opening IM subspecialty fellowships.

Mercy offers 30 to KCU students and are considering expansion. Mercy is in the process of starting several residency programs. I don't have a confirmed list for them.

It is not unlikely that all Joplin students will have clerkship rotations in the immediate area with high quality teaching hospitals with residency programs in the near future.

You're welcome to believe KC is the better site ;)

Reactions: 8 users
Thought you guys might appreciate an update on KCU Joplin. It looks like Freeman Health System (one of two major hospital groups in Joplin) is now a KCU-Joplin exclusive teaching hospital. They offer 60 slots for clerkships.
Freeman has residencies in IM, ER, ENT, and Psych and is currently hiring a PD for a FM program that should be open for the class if 2021. Freeman is also investigating opening IM subspecialty fellowships.

Mercy offers 30 to KCU students and are considering expansion. Mercy is in the process of starting several residency programs. I don't have a confirmed list for them.

It is not unlikely that all Joplin students will have clerkship rotations in the immediate area with high quality teaching hospitals with residency programs in the near future.

Is switching to Joplin an option?

This is awesome. Boom!!!

Is switching to Joplin an option?

Don't worry, KC has plenty of options. It is still under the KCU umbrella and their network is broad, just look at the clerkship list and residency lists.

This is actually a plan for both campuses. By the time we rotate, they are planning on having exclusively KC-based sites (or sites within an hour). The KC sites are pretty strong too. Definitely no downside to going to Joplin, though! Awesome sites there.

This is actually a plan for both campuses. By the time we rotate, they are planning on having exclusively KC-based sites (or sites within an hour). The KC sites are pretty strong too. Definitely no downside to going to Joplin, though! Awesome sites there.
Can you comment more on the potential KC-based sites?

Can you comment more on the potential KC-based sites?
Unfortunately, not really. I haven't looked too much into it since I'm just an M1, but we've been told multiple times that they are working on having all the rotation sites centralized to the KC area by the time we get to M3. An M2 might have more insight since they're getting close to ranking their sites.

Imagine how much can change in 2-3 years.

Just got an II! Can’t wait to visit

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I am looking for a hotel recommendation for my interview at Joplin campus. Anyone has a good hotel name near campus?