2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I am looking for a hotel recommendation for my interview at Joplin campus. Anyone has a good hotel name near campus?
Best recommendation is any in the “hotel district”. I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn but any around there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, not really. I haven't looked too much into it since I'm just an M1, but we've been told multiple times that they are working on having all the rotation sites centralized to the KC area by the time we get to M3. An M2 might have more insight since they're getting close to ranking their sites.

Yeah I haven't heard anything about this lol. Better connected members of my class might have some idea. I imagine they've avoided making such statements to us since it would probably generate complaints (as with pretty much every statement made by admin).

Reactions: 1 user
I’m thinking of applying to KCUCOM this week.
GPA: 3.61
SGPA:3.41
MCAT: 502
Have 50+ shadowing hours with DO (have a letter of recommendation
Have 1000+ clinical hours working with a pain management physician MD (also received letter of recommendation)
Multiple volunteering opportunities
Inducted in two national biology honor societies
Other extra curricular activities including being an RA, lab TA etc.
Does that make me competitive or nah?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Recently had my interview here, and I ended up staying at a very affordable and comfortable airbnb about a 10 minute walk from the school's campus - if anyone is looking for a cheaper option for lodging, pm me and I'd be happy to send you their airbnb link. Really nice hosts, good amenities, and adorable pets as a plus if you like animals!

I'm looking at KCU match lists, and I don't see any ophthalmology matches since 2012. I know it's inherently hard for DO's to match ophtho, but does a trend like this mean anything for an ophthalmology hopeful thinking about attending KCU? (sorry for the vague question)

I'm looking at KCU match lists, and I don't see any ophthalmology matches since 2012. I know it's inherently hard for DO's to match ophtho, but does a trend like this mean anything for an ophthalmology hopeful thinking about attending KCU? (sorry for the vague question)
Things that are hard to match are typically on the student. Connections, board scores, research, not being a DO(sorry just had to say it)

If you know you want to do optho, ortho, or derm, take the time off to try and get an MD acceptance. That's the best advice anyone can give you-- yes, it's possible to match, but you'll have to be an absolute rock star (which everyone thinks they will be until they get here-- sorry if that comes off harsh).

If you know you want to do optho, ortho, or derm, take the time off to try and get an MD acceptance. That's the best advice anyone can give you-- yes, it's possible to match, but you'll have to be an absolute rock star (which everyone thinks they will be until they get here-- sorry if that comes off harsh).

This. But ophtho, ortho, and derm are still super difficult even if you go MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone whose been accepted figure out how to get onto the portal with student id# they gave? I cant seem to figure it out

Anyone whose been accepted figure out how to get onto the portal with student id# they gave? I cant seem to figure it out
It’s closed until the new year. I sent an email and asked the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...s/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Osteo.pdf

I mean, it’s pretty dang hard no matter what DO school you go to.

Yep, and it's hard if you go MD too. Everyone thinks they want to do these specialities till they take boards-- it's kind of like how everyone was pre-med until they took orgo, failed, and changed their minds. But, if you're gunning for one of these specialties, you should be giving yourself the best shot by going to an MD school.

I’m thinking of applying to KCUCOM this week.
GPA: 3.61
SGPA:3.41
MCAT: 502
Have 50+ shadowing hours with DO (have a letter of recommendation
Have 1000+ clinical hours working with a pain management physician MD (also received letter of recommendation)
Multiple volunteering opportunities
Inducted in two national biology honor societies
Other extra curricular activities including being an RA, lab TA etc.
Does that make me competitive or nah?

Yes.

Can any current students put me in touch with someone in the EM group at Joplin?

Yep, and it's hard if you go MD too. Everyone thinks they want to do these specialities till they take boards-- it's kind of like how everyone was pre-med until they took orgo, failed, and changed their minds. But, if you're gunning for one of these specialties, you should be giving yourself the best shot by going to an MD school.
Looks like im only gonna be family med guys.

By the time you finish, family med doctors will do half of their consults from their home, wearing a white coat and sweats, talking into an iPad. Don’t feel so bad.

By the time you finish, family med doctors will do half of their consults from their home, wearing a white coat and sweats, talking into an iPad. Don’t feel so bad.
That is honestly fine with me. I am just happy I get to be a physician.

We for sure have until Dec 14th to pay the deposit right? No hidden clauses or anything lol

We for sure have until Dec 14th to pay the deposit right? No hidden clauses or anything lol

Yes, that’s what the email states. It’s bolded so you do not miss it. Put an earlier date on your calendar to check and double check.

Nope, you have a ton of specialities open to you. Anyone considering going to med school, specifically a DO school, should spend some quality time with the NRMP match data to understand this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone willing to lookover my KCU essays? Hoping to submit them this weekend.

So I am a Canadian that is going to attend KCUMB this year, however I am getting a little paranoid. I understand that i will have to apply for H-1B visa which will last me 6 years and then a green card if i want to stay in the states. However, from what I am reading, I could go through this process, end up with lots of debt and not get a permanent job because I am Canadian if I don't have an employer to sponsor me? Does anyone have experiences with this that they can share?

Anyone else really surprised that they loved the Joplin campus? :wideyed:

Reactions: 5 users
So I am a Canadian that is going to attend KCUMB this year, however I am getting a little paranoid. I understand that i will have to apply for H-1B visa which will last me 6 years and then a green card if i want to stay in the states. However, from what I am reading, I could go through this process, end up with lots of debt and not get a permanent job because I am Canadian if I don't have an employer to sponsor me? Does anyone have experiences with this that they can share?

This would be a good question for the general DO forum. You may get more answers.

PM me.

Does anyone know if they have a place to store luggage for interview day? I've tried calling and i don't know if its my phone or what but it keeps hanging up or we can't hear each other

Does anyone know if they have a place to store luggage for interview day? I've tried calling and i don't know if its my phone or what but it keeps hanging up or we can't hear each other
I dont think it would be an issue, KC or Joplin?

KC had a place for luggage

Many people had luggage with them in Joplin, not an issue.

For the secondary questions what are you doing now and what will you be doing in the next 6 months, how did you answer them? Thanks!

For the secondary questions what are you doing now and what will you be doing in the next 6 months, how did you answer them? Thanks!
Only you can speak to that. We do not know what you are doing now and what you will be doing in 6 months. Perhaps you will be scuba diving in the pacific. Perhaps you will be building houses in South America. Perhaps you will be playing video games on your couch. Perhaps attending class. Don't overthink it.

I described current classes, work, volunteering, shadowing, vacation, hobbies, etc. Short and sweet.

Last edited:
Only you can speak to that. We do not know what you are doing now and what you will be doing in 6 months. Perhaps you will be scuba diving in the pacific. Perhaps you will be building houses in South America. Perhaps you will be playing video games on your couch. Perhaps attending class. Don't overthink it.
For me I answered them what I was doing for work. I am currently working in a clinical setting and talked about that heavily and how within the next 6 months I tried to improve on bedside manner, communication skills, clinical skills etc. I also discussed any hobbies or things I did outside of work and things that I wanted to pursue before starting school if I were accepted.

It was ~5 weeks for the Oct 3 interview.

Ditto. 5/6 weeks. Some have heard back after 4 weeks and some after 5-6 weeks.

This Thursday is 4 weeks for me so im not counting on anything before then. My 6 week mark is Nov 27th...would be thrilled to know by Thanksgiving but not trying to get my hopes up either

Reactions: 2 users