2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is super frowned upon, but during one of the tours one of the student ambassadors said they worked as like a front desk person at one of the study buildings? is this a thing, and how do I look into it?

They mentioned that it wasn't a huge time commitment, and they were still able to study during their shift.
Just something I'm considering.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is a rumor or not so I thought I'd ask lol is it true that if you show up on the first day of class & someone doesn't show up, you get their seat?

Edit: I know this is highly unlikely but a girl can dream ha

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is super frowned upon, but during one of the tours one of the student ambassadors said they worked as like a front desk person at one of the study buildings? is this a thing, and how do I look into it?

They mentioned that it wasn't a huge time commitment, and they were still able to study during their shift.
Just something I'm considering.
Student assistant. They will send out emails when they look for new ones.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if this is a rumor or not so I thought I'd ask lol is it true that if you show up on the first day of class & someone doesn't show up, you get their seat?

Edit: I know this is highly unlikely but a girl can dream ha
Seriously unlikely. While people can lose their seat for not showing up to orientation, I doubt they will accept someone that showed up uninvited.

Seriously unlikely. While people can lose their seat for not showing up to orientation, I doubt they will accept someone that showed up uninvited.

The old George Costanza method

Got into my IS program so will be turning down my acceptance to here. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if the Ikea that is by Kansas City (Technically it's in Merriam, Kansas) is in a good area? I don't like exploring places by myself if I don't know the area...

Does anyone know if the Ikea that is by Kansas City (Technically it's in Merriam, Kansas) is in a good area? I don't like exploring places by myself if I don't know the area...

I feel like it’s in a pretty nice area, personally. I’m a 20-something small sized lady and I would feel comfortable going there alone

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

As someone who lives in a top 5 metro area for violent crimes, this question made me chuckle. I would consider any tiny town in Kansas safe. :p

Are they any Joplin students looking for a roommate?
if you're still looking for a roommate, I am currently looking around for housing options. I come in for orientation on July 13 and want to hopefully have something locked in during that week

For what it’s worth: I’m from KC and most of the surrounding towns/cities are very, very safe, “good” areas. You will be totally fine at IKEA - I have run errands all over town by myself since I could drive and I am a small-ish girl who would be a pretty easy target. The area right by KCU is not the best, but you will be fine as long as you’re smart and alert. Going outside of the city is probably your best bet if you’re nervous at all - it’s maybe a 15/20 min drive max. Some close cities that are absolutely safe on your own: Merriam, Shawnee, Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Mission, Brookside, Country Club Plaza area (considered KCMO, but is in the super rich part of town). Let me know if you have any other questions about the area!

For what it’s worth: I’m from KC and most of the surrounding towns/cities are very, very safe, “good” areas. You will be totally fine at IKEA - I have run errands all over town by myself since I could drive and I am a small-ish girl who would be a pretty easy target. The area right by KCU is not the best, but you will be fine as long as you’re smart and alert. Going outside of the city is probably your best bet if you’re nervous at all - it’s maybe a 15/20 min drive max. Some close cities that are absolutely safe on your own: Merriam, Shawnee, Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Mission, Brookside, Country Club Plaza area (considered KCMO, but is in the super rich part of town). Let me know if you have any other questions about the area!
This was really sweet of you :) thanks for the info!

not sure if this is the proper place but anyone here do their masters program and get in after? i just got accepted to the 2 year and am debating on coming here instead because it seems like a great program and a lot of graduates get into med schools after. i'm comparing this to midwestern's 2 year masters in biomedical sciences

I just finished the one year program at KCU and got into COM ‘23. This program was the best decision I have ever made.

Reactions: 3 users
if you're still looking for a roommate, I am currently looking around for housing options. I come in for orientation on July 13 and want to hopefully have something locked in during that week
Thanks! I’ve already locked down a apartment. Good luck!

There is an active crime scene due to some shooting this evening just a few blocks away from campus, right off of independence ave.

Do we have classes on Labor Day? I can’t tell from the schedule that was posted on the FB group

We do have class on Labor Day. The days off are in black or yellow.

Can someone post the schedule here if possible? Can’t seem to find it on the Facebook...

Also, for current KC students, are there lockers on campus anywhere that we can keep stuff secured?

Can someone post the schedule here if possible? Can’t seem to find it on the Facebook...

Also, for current KC students, are there lockers on campus anywhere that we can keep stuff secured?
3EF26A86-FEF4-4EA5-9F53-153829BCAEB3.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
awesome--thanks you two. my brother had to wait until my first semester MS1 to get married...

Are we supposed to wear suit jackets over our professional clothes on the first day of orientation since we're getting our white coats and taking ID pictures that day right? I saw some pictures from upperclassmen and they're just wearing white coats not suit jackets

Are we supposed to wear suit jackets over our professional clothes on the first day of orientation since we're getting our white coats and taking ID pictures that day right? I saw some pictures from upperclassmen and they're just wearing white coats not suit jackets
No, skip the suit jacket.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anybody else starting to get super pumped about starting while simultaneously being very anxious about it? Or is it just me? Lol

Reactions: 7 users
Unh! Already had that dream where I showed up late wearing the wrong clothes!!!
At the end of second year it will be sitting for boards before any studying. Still have that one.

Hey guys, I just got a call for the Joplin campus. I'm in a pickle though. I literally just moved all our stuff down to Arkansas to attend ARCOM. I think I know what I want to do but I wanted to see if anyone else has been in this situation. Class starts Monday, correct?

Hey guys, I just got a call for the Joplin campus. I'm in a pickle though. I literally just moved all our stuff down to Arkansas to attend ARCOM. I think I know what I want to do but I wanted to see if anyone else has been in this situation. Class starts Monday, correct?

Congrats! I'm in the KC group but going by the website orientation for all students start on Monday and classes on July 29. If you decide to go to KCU, I would let them know about your situation and see if you can make the drive from Fort Smith to Joplin (only 2 hours) ASAP. They seem quite strict about being on time for orientation on Monday.

Reactions: 3 users
Orientation starts Monday. Class starts the 29th. Planning to come to Joplin?

So you have a very difficult decision ahead of you, but at the same time this is good because more choices are always better than less! Just my 2 cents you didn't ask for... I was accepted to ARCOM as well, but when I got the acceptance from KCU-Joplin I didn't hesitate. I knew KCU was the place to go. It sounds like you do too. No matter what you decide though you are in good shape! So congrats and good luck!