musicmed

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Regarding the iPad: is it permissible/frowned upon/will I get a stern talking too, if I trade it in for another model? Ive been using the 11 inch for work the past 6 months and now the 9.7s feel mini, id prefer to keep using an 11 or even the 12.9 inch screen.
So technically the iPad is not yours to trade in until after two years BUT I know you can talk with the tech people and ask permission to trade the iPad in for the larger and more expensive Pro. But I know students who sold their school iPad and bought the Pro. But my class didn’t get an Apple Pencil compatible iPad. Your class will. Also, the school pays for AppleCare for two years but I don’t know what happens if you trade it in.

Nov 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
not sure if this is the proper place but anyone here do their masters program and get in after? i just got accepted to the 2 year and am debating on coming here instead because it seems like a great program and a lot of graduates get into med schools after. i'm comparing this to midwestern's 2 year masters in biomedical sciences

Jul 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
not sure if this is the proper place but anyone here do their masters program and get in after? i just got accepted to the 2 year and am debating on coming here instead because it seems like a great program and a lot of graduates get into med schools after. i'm comparing this to midwestern's 2 year masters in biomedical sciences
I just finished my masters program at KCU and I’m in the incoming class. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference as to what program you choose, but for me personally, I came from a university with a poor science program. After 1 year of being in Kansas City, I’m light years ahead of the student I was just a year ago. I don’t know anything about Midwesterns program, but I will tell you being here was the single greatest decision I’ve ever made.

Jyggaswoop

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely go to kcu. 2 years is a lot of tuition

Magus5454

MS2 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
We have lots of COB people in my class ('22)

Nov 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys!It seems like a great program. Midwestern is close to home so I’d save money but kcu seems to have a good reputation and stats so it’s hard to give up this. Idk hard deduction but I’m glad it’s worked out for you jlj

Reactions: jlj9745
Jun 12, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I know this is super frowned upon, but during one of the tours one of the student ambassadors said they worked as like a front desk person at one of the study buildings? is this a thing, and how do I look into it?

They mentioned that it wasn't a huge time commitment, and they were still able to study during their shift.
Just something I'm considering.

Dec 20, 2018
I don't know if this is a rumor or not so I thought I'd ask lol is it true that if you show up on the first day of class & someone doesn't show up, you get their seat?

Edit: I know this is highly unlikely but a girl can dream ha

Magus5454

MS2 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I know this is super frowned upon, but during one of the tours one of the student ambassadors said they worked as like a front desk person at one of the study buildings? is this a thing, and how do I look into it?

They mentioned that it wasn't a huge time commitment, and they were still able to study during their shift.
Just something I'm considering.
Student assistant. They will send out emails when they look for new ones.

Magus5454

MS2 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if this is a rumor or not so I thought I'd ask lol is it true that if you show up on the first day of class & someone doesn't show up, you get their seat?

Edit: I know this is highly unlikely but a girl can dream ha
Seriously unlikely. While people can lose their seat for not showing up to orientation, I doubt they will accept someone that showed up uninvited.

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Got into my IS program so will be turning down my acceptance to here. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Apr 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if the Ikea that is by Kansas City (Technically it's in Merriam, Kansas) is in a good area? I don't like exploring places by myself if I don't know the area...

DrMrsP

KCU C/O 2023
Jan 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know if the Ikea that is by Kansas City (Technically it's in Merriam, Kansas) is in a good area? I don't like exploring places by myself if I don't know the area...
I feel like it’s in a pretty nice area, personally. I’m a 20-something small sized lady and I would feel comfortable going there alone

Reactions: musicmed
Nov 12, 2017
Status
As someone who lives in a top 5 metro area for violent crimes, this question made me chuckle. I would consider any tiny town in Kansas safe. :p

Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Are they any Joplin students looking for a roommate?
if you're still looking for a roommate, I am currently looking around for housing options. I come in for orientation on July 13 and want to hopefully have something locked in during that week

Nov 21, 2018
For what it’s worth: I’m from KC and most of the surrounding towns/cities are very, very safe, “good” areas. You will be totally fine at IKEA - I have run errands all over town by myself since I could drive and I am a small-ish girl who would be a pretty easy target. The area right by KCU is not the best, but you will be fine as long as you’re smart and alert. Going outside of the city is probably your best bet if you’re nervous at all - it’s maybe a 15/20 min drive max. Some close cities that are absolutely safe on your own: Merriam, Shawnee, Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Mission, Brookside, Country Club Plaza area (considered KCMO, but is in the super rich part of town). Let me know if you have any other questions about the area!

Apr 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
For what it’s worth: I’m from KC and most of the surrounding towns/cities are very, very safe, “good” areas. You will be totally fine at IKEA - I have run errands all over town by myself since I could drive and I am a small-ish girl who would be a pretty easy target. The area right by KCU is not the best, but you will be fine as long as you’re smart and alert. Going outside of the city is probably your best bet if you’re nervous at all - it’s maybe a 15/20 min drive max. Some close cities that are absolutely safe on your own: Merriam, Shawnee, Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Mission, Brookside, Country Club Plaza area (considered KCMO, but is in the super rich part of town). Let me know if you have any other questions about the area!
This was really sweet of you :) thanks for the info!

MicrobeMommy

2+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2016
Status
I just finished the one year program at KCU and got into COM ‘23. This program was the best decision I have ever made.

Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
if you're still looking for a roommate, I am currently looking around for housing options. I come in for orientation on July 13 and want to hopefully have something locked in during that week
Thanks! I’ve already locked down a apartment. Good luck!

Nov 2, 2018
There is an active crime scene due to some shooting this evening just a few blocks away from campus, right off of independence ave.

Aug 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Do we have classes on Labor Day? I can’t tell from the schedule that was posted on the FB group

BobbyKoch

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Can someone post the schedule here if possible? Can’t seem to find it on the Facebook...

Also, for current KC students, are there lockers on campus anywhere that we can keep stuff secured?

bioarchaeologist

2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
The Flatlands
Status
Medical Student

BobbyKoch

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
awesome--thanks you two. my brother had to wait until my first semester MS1 to get married...

bioarchaeologist

2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
The Flatlands
Status
Medical Student
Are we supposed to wear suit jackets over our professional clothes on the first day of orientation since we're getting our white coats and taking ID pictures that day right? I saw some pictures from upperclassmen and they're just wearing white coats not suit jackets

Oct 11, 2018
Reactions: Schwifty