2018-2019 Meharry Medical College

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wait so you guys went out and bought a mic? or just used the mic from your earphones and held it up to your mouth?
The one on your headphones should work fine if you speak directly into it.

Did anyone else have issues doing the video interview? The video kept cutting out and ending right whenever I was almost done.
I wanna know if anyone actually didn't have issues with the video portion. Yikes, did they do this last year. And if so, were last year's applicants coming across the same issue? If so (pt. 2) why wasn't it fixed?
 
I just submitted ! Was cringing so much at the video and didn’t even notice I rolled my eyes a couple tiles - I do this, apparently when thinking - when trying to remember what I wrote. Had to re-record it so many times. Anywho, good luck everyone !
 
The one on your headphones should work fine if you speak directly into it.


I wanna know if anyone actually didn't have issues with the video portion. Yikes, did they do this last year. And if so, were last year's applicants coming across the same issue? If so (pt. 2) why wasn't it fixed?

According to my M2 friend they did not do the video last year. It’s totally new
 
My video interview experience was bad...so I called them and they told me I could email it to them. I'm going to just call next week to make sure they received it and stuff.
 
My video interview experience was bad...so I called them and they told me I could email it to them. I'm going to just call next week to make sure they received it and stuff.
I wish I had called but after re-recording like 12 times I just wanted to submit haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not going into much details, but if you get any other MD acceptances TAKE THEM! TRUST ME!
Meharry is dishing out the Caribbean school treatment right now.
They changed the curriculum this year and you won't find a single M1 student who is happy about this stuff right now.

I would like to know more.. can I PM you?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
It was apparently a last minute decision to change the curriculum. I interviewed last year in February and it was NEVER brought up until like 2 weeks before I got there.
There is literally just so much. It is better if you ask a specific question. That way I can address it. If I listed each thing it would be a long rant.
And I'm giving you the real story not the frosted cake everything is great in med school story. If any of you have friends who are M1, I guarantee they will confirm what I say.

For example,
Anatomy, has been basically scrapped. Been here 11 weeks and we've had ONE anatomy lesson. And during the lesson, the Professor told another 2nd year or someone else to label the structures before class
and they were labeled incorrectly. Now we have a summative exam coming up in 2 weeks on material that they presented to us incorrectly. However, you can bet your ass we are expected to know the material that they spent 2 hours teaching us incorrectly with no follow up or corrective lesson. OH and you don't dissect anymore. You will just go down to the cadaver lab and have a lecturer point to a structure and tell you what it is. That is your anatomy lab. There used to be a thing where the Bigs would pass their dissection tools down to the lower classmen, but not anymore. You don't need dissection kits anymore.

My SO graduated from Meharry med this year and many students in his year complained about similar things. Class became mandatory during their second year too. I'm surprised to hear about the anatomy lab being scrapped though. Do you know what they're doing about clinical rotations since general is being shut down?
 
I assure you they have not mentioned a single thing to us about Nashville General being shut down to us. And if it was, they wouldn't tell us. The same way they didn't tell us about this curriculum.


If that hospital did close down, than our tuition better PLUMMET. Considering how close the school and that hospital are, I can only imagine how much of our 86k tuition gets funneled into that place. And if we would be losing a huge selling point by not having a hospital connected to the medical school.
WOW thank you for telling us about this. ugh this sounds so bad
 
From a Nashville area applicant, the hospital isn't closing. A transition to an outpatient clinic instead of inpatient hospital was discussed under the leadership of the previous mayor, recently ousted for having an affair on the tax payers' dime. The public was outraged with her ideas and they died with her departure. General offers a vital service to the poor community in Nashville and surrounding area. The current administrations in Nashville is aggressively looking to fix the issues at the top for the hospital, but closure is NOT part of the conversation at this time. I appreciate the candid warnings and frustrations but people freaking out about something that's not going to happen won't help with application anxiety. I, for one, am still confidently applying to this school, with consideration given to the words of the current student giving their honest opinions here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
 
should i bother with a secondary? Not a URM, but lots of clinical and volunteer hours with URM and a STRONG dedication to volunteerism in underserved areas. currently in mississippi, 501 MCT but 3.95 GPA, endless list of ECs and shadowing. over 1000s clinical total. wondering if submitting a secondary application is worth it bc my MCAT is low and i am not URM. Thoughts?
 
U emailed the video or a typed response?
I emailed the video but still made sure it was less than 2 min like it's supposed to be and all that. But I emailed them to make sure they got it ok and still haven't heard back, so I'm just staying positive and hoping they got it.
 
should i bother with a secondary? Not a URM, but lots of clinical and volunteer hours with URM and a STRONG dedication to volunteerism in underserved areas. currently in mississippi, 501 MCT but 3.95 GPA, endless list of ECs and shadowing. over 1000s clinical total. wondering if submitting a secondary application is worth it bc my MCAT is low and i am not URM. Thoughts?

at least 20-40 people in our class aren't URM. It's worth it a shot.
 
should i bother with a secondary? Not a URM, but lots of clinical and volunteer hours with URM and a STRONG dedication to volunteerism in underserved areas. currently in mississippi, 501 MCT but 3.95 GPA, endless list of ECs and shadowing. over 1000s clinical total. wondering if submitting a secondary application is worth it bc my MCAT is low and i am not URM. Thoughts?

I’m not an URM either but I still submitted my apps to most HBCUs. Same with you, I think I fit the mission significantly well in addition to both my upbringing and experiences. All we can do is apply and hope for the best y’know?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good day, applicants. I'm a current M1 at Meharry. First, congratulations to those that received secondaries and to those still waiting, I hope you hear good news soon.
I would like to address the rant by DeaTruth, only to help you guys make an unbiased decision if it ever comes down to it.
-@DeaTruth, you only created this account 4 days ago to trash YOUR school. That makes you a keyboard warrior.
-Yes, Meharry has a new curriculum. Other schools are adopting this new style and I think it is very brave of Meharry to do this. However, it is not in anyway the horror movie this person is making it out to be. We were told about the new curriculum and I remember several of my classmates expressing their excitement over this new curriculum.
-In the old curriculum, students were in class from 8 am to 5 pm and still have to log several hours a day in the Anatomy lab dissecting the cadavers. However, doing this in the new curriculum makes no sense because it is not Organ Systems. So no, Anatomy was not scrapped. It has been revised. This also gives more time for Independent study and we get early clinical exposure.
-Also, keep in mind that no medical school (and certainly not Meharry) will gleefully sabotage you in order to jeopardize your future because the testament of any medical school is in the kind of students they graduate into residency.
-I won't go into the rest because I think it is a personal problem for the OP but keep in mind that change is never easy. Adaptation is key. This is the only way we can grow and evolve as medical professionals. Don't be a casualty of natural selection. Again, I wish you guys good luck in your application cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another member of Meharry CO 2022!
The curriculum change is pretty drastic from the way things have been going in the past but it is definitely for the good. Most of the days, our classes are done by 12 so you have the entire rest of the day to study and review the material. Yeah its mandatory attendance and some teachers really need to move away from the old ideologies of treating med students as high schoolers, maybe the upcoming class can convince them about this. They have been receptive of our feedback regarding the curriculum so far. Personally, I don't mind attendance too much, just gives me a reason to wake up early and start being productive. The past classes emphasized the need for greater personal study time, and they also did that with this new curriculum.
To clear up confusion about Anatomy lab, we are doing prosections which is what the most top 20 schools are moving towards also. From the past classes, this apparently saves us a lot of time since a lot of people complained about wasting their time in skinning cadavers as opposed to learning the structures. Plus anatomy is not as heavily emphasized in STEP. We also haven't moved into organ systems yet thus the reason of having one anatomy lab thus far.
Honestly, I don't mind med school. Yeah a lot of things are last minute, and there definitely needs to be better communication within the faculty, but it will take a few tries to get everything right with the new curriculum--and our class just so happens to be the first one with it. I really like the multitude of classes we take revolving around a theme so you don't get pigeon holed into learning everything about one class and moving to next. We essentially take a lot of classes ranging from pharmacology, embryo, immuno, microbio, patho, biochem etc.all at once and learn little by little, so everything builds. Most of the teachers are pretty good. If you don't like a certain teacher, you can sign in and leave to study on your own. Overall people in our class are the best part. Everyone is super cool and brings their own story from all over the world--not just America.
 
Does Meharry let you now if you've been rejected pre-interview (as in, not leave you hanging)? Planning on submitting II tomorrow!
 
Completing the secondary and a little confused on how to fill out the ranking portion. Can we rank two different aspects of medicine as the same number, or do they all have to be ranked separately? For instance, can I mark "individual" and "full time teaching/research" as 1 or does one of them have to be "1" and the other "2"?

UPDATE: when I clicked next, the application answered the question for me! lol
 
Question:
Has anyone else been unable to check the status of their app?

ApplyWeb seems to be such a cheap outdated 3rd party and I've been having the same issues with other schools that use it. The only thing I am able to see is that my app was submitted.

Also, I emailed admissions last week and haven't heard back from them. I think it might be a glitch or technical issue, however, I don't want to be a bother to the people that might give me an II
 
Bored from my main thread of wayne state
Just looking for black medical kings sigh
 
Question:
Has anyone else been unable to check the status of their app?

ApplyWeb seems to be such a cheap outdated 3rd party and I've been having the same issues with other schools that use it. The only thing I am able to see is that my app was submitted.

Also, I emailed admissions last week and haven't heard back from them. I think it might be a glitch or technical issue, however, I don't want to be a bother to the people that might give me an II
I don't have an option to "view checklist" and received an email saying that once all required documents are in, then I can be reviewed...?
Other than saying "submitted" that's the only status I can see.
 
How is Nashville? I'm AA male from NYC. I'm familiar with the Northeast, but absolutely not the south lol. A little worried that I might not enjoy Tennessee.
 
How is Nashville? I'm AA male from NYC. I'm familiar with the Northeast, but absolutely not the south lol. A little worried that I might not enjoy Tennessee.

With all due respect, I think it is unwise to spend money applying to a school that you're worried about not enjoying. Keep in mind, you will be spending some significant years of your 20's there

Coming from someone who has lived ALL over the US (rural + urban), there are pros and cons to each area. It's all about what you pay attention to and the attitude you have moving there.

Edit: I too am an AA male.. if you're worried about that, you can't avoid it in the states. It takes on different forms everywhere you go. Hawaii is an exception IMO
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know for sure if Meharry pre-screens before giving out secondaries? My AMCAS app got verified 9/4 and I also received a secondary the same day...
 
Does anyone know for sure if Meharry pre-screens before giving out secondaries? My AMCAS app got verified 9/4 and I also received a secondary the same day...
Meharry's Website: Upon receipt of the application from AMCAS, it is reviewed and a link to the online supplemental application is sent to all eligible applicants.

I think if you meet the basic admission requirements they send you a secondary.
 
Hey guys! How long after submitting did y'all get a complete email?