2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who interviewed here, what were the questions like? How long was the interview day, anything in particular you guys would recommend to help prepare?
When did you get notified for the interview? What did you do as far loi or calling the counselors ?

Members don't see this ad.

It's past May 15. Any sign of movement on the good ole waitlist?

Just got accepted off the waitlist ! I got a call on Tuesday that I was “next-up” on the waitlist, and today I received the acceptance! All glory to God ☝

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the waitlist ! I got a call on Tuesday that I was “next-up” on the waitlist, and today I received the acceptance! All glory to God ☝
That’s great this is my #1 waitlisted tho, stats 3.71 cgpa 510 mcat

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get a phone call saying they were high on the wait list or up next? I didn't, just curious if more people did.

Did anyone else get a phone call saying they were high on the wait list or up next? I didn't, just curious if more people did.

Not yet. I’m on the alternate candidate list and haven’t had any confirmation responses regarding my two LOIs I’ve sent either.

Congrats!!!
Quick couple of questions, did they email you or call you to accept you, and which campus were you accepted to?

Congrats!!!
Quick couple of questions, did they email you or call you to accept you, and which campus were you accepted to?

Thank you!!

Well actually, they ended up calling me first because apparently the e-mail was not going through to the e-mail on file. So they called me and asked me for an alternate e-mail. Normally, however, I think you will receive just an e-mail.

I was accepted to the Clearwater campus. It stated In my letter that currently the Davie campus is full, but you have the opportunity to be on the waitlist (a separate waitlist with only accepted applicants) for the Davie campus without giving up your spot at Clearwater. However, the waitlist is created based on who paid the deposit first. I believe there are close to 80-90 people on that particular waitlist.

Last edited:
Thank you!!

Well actually, they ended up calling me first because apparently the e-mail was not going through to the e-mail on file. So they called me and asked me for an alternate e-mail. Normally, however, I think you will receive just an e-mail.

I was accepted to the Clearwater campus. It stated In my letter that currently the Davie campus is full, but you have the opportunity to be on the waitlist (a separate waitlist with only accepted applicants) for the Davie campus without giving up your spot at Clearwater. However, the waitlist is created based on who paid the deposit first. I believe there are close to 80-90 people on that particular waitlist.
Appreciate the info!
I’m on the alternate waitlist and was hoping to get accepted off of it for the Davie campus but I guess that isn’t possible now.
Best of luck in school!

Where did you guys email the letter or intent or intrest to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have and MCAT score of 500, but I have a 3.95 gpa and super competitive EC's. I LOVE this school but does anyone think It's worth applying the upcoming cycle with such a low MCAT score?

I only have and MCAT score of 500, but I have a 3.95 gpa and super competitive EC's. I LOVE this school but does anyone think It's worth applying the upcoming cycle with such a low MCAT score?
Possibly. I think your best bet is to call them and see that they say. They are very straight forward about their stances and what they look for in a candidate.

This was how it was during my interview day though. They didn’t really get into stats cutoffs, just asked about a weakness section on my mcat.

Possibly. I think your best bet is to call them and see that they say. They are very straight forward about their stances and what they look for in a candidate.

This was how it was during my interview day though. They didn’t really get into stats cutoffs, just asked about a weakness section on my mcat.

what did you say?

Did you hear back yet?

I just heard back. Does anyone from that interview day remember what the name of the good alternate list was?
I'm pretty sure it was referred to the "accepted alternate" list. I also just got an email saying I was placed on an "unranked" alternate list. I'm not sure if an "accepted alternate" list is official or not; they may just send this email out to all alternates on either list. Has anyone gotten an email explicitly saying they're on the accepted alternate list or their position? I remember them saying each alternate received a rank of 1 through 5.

I'm pretty sure it was referred to the "accepted alternate" list. I also just got an email saying I was placed on an "unranked" alternate list. I'm not sure if an "accepted alternate" list is official or not; they may just send this email out to all alternates on either list. Has anyone gotten an email explicitly saying they're on the accepted alternate list or their position? I remember them saying each alternate received a rank of 1 through 5.
I was just an “alternate” it’s doesn’t say “unranked” but it says “position are not ranked” so I’m assuming this is what you’re referring too.

I’m going to assume I’m on the bad alternate list since it doesn’t say “alternate accept”. I’m sitting on three WL right now but know when it’s time to look ahead.

Off to another application cycle for me.

Thank you for the information but I’m not sure how up to date this information is. Last week they specifically explained there were two alternative lists. This doesn’t specify there are two.

Maybe this is a new policy and they haven’t added it online yet.
Oh wow
Maybe
I didn’t hear that

Thank you for the information but I’m not sure how up to date this information is. Last week they specifically explained there were two alternative lists. This doesn’t specify there are two.

Either they're referring to the list for Clearwater and the list for Davie (each campus has its own waitlist), or the list of top 10 candidates that they pull from the bigger alternate list.

I'm sure interviews are really done by now, so hopefully we'll see more waitlist movement in June-July.

Either they're referring to the list for Clearwater and the list for Davie (each campus has its own waitlist), or the list of top 10 candidates that they pull from the bigger alternate list.
Sounds like your referring to the transfer waitlist post-acceptance. That is a different subject.

When did you get notified for the interview? What did you do as far loi or calling the counselors ?
My interview date was the last interview date for this school year. I did not contact the admissions counselors or send a loi. They mentioned during my interview that they are expecting a lot of waitlist movement in the following few months. Don't give up yet guys!

Reactions: 1 users

When I interviewed, I remember them saying the dean handpicks people off of the waitlist, which is why it is unranked. They said you could possibly get a call up to the day before classes start. Fingers crossed for you and everyone else on the WL!

My interview date was the last interview date for this school year. I did not contact the admissions counselors or send a loi. They mentioned during my interview that they are expecting a lot of waitlist movement in the following few months. Don't give up yet guys!
Hello fellow last day interviewer!

I was confused about the two waitlist things. So is there two waitlists and if there is are we notified of which one we are on or is it kept a secret?

I do remember her saying she did have the final word on who gets in.

Ps, everyone in that interview day group was great. It was refreshing from some of my other interviews so thanks to everyone for being amazing!

What about the people who got their alternate list letter in the mail? It doesn't specify if they were ranked or unranked..

I was confused about the two waitlist things. So is there two waitlists and if there is are we notified of which one we are on or is it kept a secret?

Ps, everyone in that interview day group was great. It was refreshing from some of my other interviews so thanks to everyone for being amazing!
I am not sure if there is a waitlist and another accepted alternate list, it was all pretty confusing. Is being placed on the alternate list the same as being waitlisted?

I am not sure if there is a waitlist and another accepted alternate list, it was all pretty confusing. Is being placed on the alternate list the same as being waitlisted?
I think some schools just prefer to use alternate vs waitlist. I think they are synonymous.

Hi all, I interviewed on one of those last days too and was placed as an alternate by email with that whole “unranked” bit included. I did email them and apparently this is the accept-alternate list (that people get accepted from) and not the true waitlist.

Hi all, I interviewed on one of those last days too and was placed as an alternate by email with that whole “unranked” bit included. I did email them and apparently this is the accept-alternate list (that people get accepted from) and not the true waitlist.
Wow awesome—- let the acceptance begin! Please

Hey Lumbermed,

If you look a couple pages back, you'll notice there was a similar conversation about this. However, I want to second what @Dr.Borsht said. About two weeks before I was accepted off the alternate list, I called the admissions counselors asking them if they could review my application with me. I asked them specifically why I was waitlisted.

When reviewing my application, Mr. Sliba stated that both my academics and interview were great, which prompted me to ask, "Why was I waitlisted then?" He then corrected me and said that I was not waitlisted, but instead that I was placed on the alternate list which is a different list altogether. As @Dr.Borsht said (and as Mr. Sliba informed me), the alternate list is considered the "we accepted you, but we currently don't have enough space" list.

Now, as you stated, I honestly think they might be synonymous as I have yet to see someone post about being put on the "waitlist". However, if someone could verify that they used the words "waitlist" vs "alternate list", then this would confirm what the admissions counselors told us. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hey Lumbermed,

If you look a couple pages back, you'll notice there was a similar conversation about this. However, I want to second what @Dr.Borsht said. About two weeks before I was accepted off the alternate list, I called the admissions counselors asking them if they could review my application with me. I asked them specifically why I was waitlisted.

When reviewing my application, Mr. Sliba stated that both my academics and interview were great, which prompted me to ask, "Why was I waitlisted then?" He then corrected me and said that I was not waitlisted, but instead that I was placed on the alternate list which is a different list altogether. As @Dr.Borsht said (and as Mr. Sliba informed me), the alternate list is considered the "we accepted you, but we currently don't have enough space" list.

Now, as you stated, I honestly think they might be synonymous as I have yet to see someone post about being put on the "waitlist". However, if someone could confirm that they used the words "waitlist" vs "alternate list", then this would confirm what the admissions counselors told us. Hope this helps!

It sounds really promising, so hopefully some good news comes soon! Is it safe to say then that being on the alternate list means we have a good chance at being pulled off the list? Did he give you an idea on how many people would be pulled off that list?

I have been wait listed since mid November last year. Has anyone came off the wait list. if so when were you wait listed.
When you recieved your "waitlist" email, did it say waitlist or alternate list? It might be a dumb question but everyone from my interview date is pretty confused regarding this

It sounds really promising, so hopefully some good news comes soon! Is it safe to say then that being on the alternate list means we have a good chance at being pulled off the list? Did he give you an idea on how many people would be pulled off that list?

Hey,

To answer your first question, (and based solely on the advice of Mr. Sliba) I would say yes you have a better shot of being accepted if you are on the alternate list. Again, until you can confirm that there is someone that has been placed on the "waitlist" rather than the "alternate list", then I would take all of this with a grain of salt.

Second question: unfortunately, he did not state nor did I ask how many would be pulled off the list. However, I think a previous post mentioned that they are expecting more movement in the coming two months. Since I've joined the upcoming class' GroupMe around 1.5 weeks ago, about 20 people have already been added to the group. However, I don't know how many of these people were already accepted and just joined the GroupMe late.

Trust me, I know how it feels to be tortured with the feeling of uncertainty. When I was ripping my hair out trying to figure out if there was indeed a difference between the two lists and if people were recently accepted, all it added was more stress to my life. I'm sure a lot of you can relate when I say I was constantly refreshing this thread at work to see the latest updates. When I stopped checking this thread, I found myself a lot more relaxed and at peace. Consequently, it was soon after I stopped checking this thread and prepared myself for the upcoming cycle, that I was accepted off the alternate list. I would definitely recommend to make sure you are actively preparing for the upcoming cycle just to get your mind off of this school. Hope and pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. I wish you all the best!

Hey Lumbermed,

Now, as you stated, I honestly think they might be synonymous as I have yet to see someone post about being put on the "waitlist". However, if someone could verify that they used the words "waitlist" vs "alternate list", then this would confirm what the admissions counselors told us. Hope this helps!

This is probably true for late interviews. They don’t want to put you in the maybe pile, but they can’t guarantee if they have space for you.

It has been eerily quiet.... gosh I hope we hear something! Is anyone considering a post bacc or Caribbean? I’ve heard good a bad .....
Nova is top choice, I love Davie area but I’m sure Clearwater will be great

Does Nova screen before secondaries/interview? What's the lowest MCAT score theyve taken this cycle?

Does Nova screen before secondaries/interview? What's the lowest MCAT score theyve taken this cycle?

They screen for GPA. Idk about MCAT. A couple of my mentors are alumni from here and I am pretty bummed that I cannot apply due to me utilizing reinvention.