2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Nova screen before secondaries/interview? What's the lowest MCAT score theyve taken this cycle?
Mine is 510 and I am wait listed, I presume for my ec’s not being 2000+ my gpa is 3.7

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is 510 and I am wait listed, I presume for my ec’s not being 2000+ my gpa is 3.7
What do you mean by EC's not being 2000+? I don't think they look for a target number like that..
How many hours in each category did you have?

What do you mean by EC's not being 2000+? I don't think they look for a target number like that..
How many hours in each category did you have?
Health care volunteer 300 hrs
Pharmacy tech ( work ) but patient focused 1000 hrs
Shadowing 100 hours, 16 surgeries
Asst Coaching high school swim 2 years - 100 hrs
Various volunteer activities per my honors college for 200 hours ( mostly Ronald McDonald House charities)

Members don't see this ad :)
Health care volunteer 300 hrs
Pharmacy tech ( work ) but patient focused 1000 hrs
Shadowing 100 hours, 16 surgeries
Asst Coaching high school swim 2 years - 100 hrs
Various volunteer activities per my honors college for 200 hours ( mostly Ronald McDonald House charities)
I think that’s a lot of volunteering hours and probably not what’s holding your app back.. you are well above the average candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that’s a lot of volunteering hours and probably not what’s holding your app back.. you are well above the average candidate.
Maybe I’m a bad interviewer, it felt good ... idk

Maybe I’m a bad interviewer, it felt good ... idk
I called the admin office ( got vm) wanted some one to assist me with my app for reapplication- hoping they call back
Possibly considering Caribbean... idk
Any thoughts?

I called the admin office ( got vm) wanted some one to assist me with my app for reapplication- hoping they call back
Any thoughts?
Do NOT do carribean, especially if you have already made it this far in the cycle and are on waitlists. Your chances for an acceptance are high for a future cycle. Don't fall for the carribean marketing schemes.

Reactions: 3 users
Any thoughts?
Why Caribbean? If you reapply now broadly, you should get in somewhere with a 510 and 3.7

2000 hours are only needed at PA schools. DO and MD just look at stats and ecs of 100+ hours. i got a 504 on the mcat with a 3.2 cgpa but I am also finishing my biotechnology thesis masters with a 3.85 and was accepted. I know they like people who are outgoing during the interview. You are looked at alllllll day and see how you interact with other students. i know the dean likes students to ask questions during the lunch, she marks who asked questions on her paper.

Great, I'm an introvert (who tried hard to act sociable) and the dean was away and couldn't show up for my interview group. Two strikes against me!

Any thoughts?
Horror stories await you in the Caribbean subforum. o_O You would face a huge uphill battle, many risks, and lower chance to match into a decent residency by going Caribbean. Better to reapply and go for US MD. You have a good shot at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Horror stories await you in the Caribbean subforum. o_O You would face a huge uphill battle, many risks, and lower chance to match into a decent residency by going Caribbean. Better to reapply and go for US MD. You have a good shot at it.
Thanks, just hoping for this to work out. I need a break from the application cycle —- wicked stressful { I do really like nova. Awesome on you post bacc, I was considering public health MPH - get to know some for the ppl at nova if this year is a no go.

2000 hours are only needed at PA schools. DO and MD just look at stats and ecs of 100+ hours. i got a 504 on the mcat with a 3.2 cgpa but I am also finishing my biotechnology thesis masters with a 3.85 and was accepted. I know they like people who are outgoing during the interview. You are looked at alllllll day and see how you interact with other students. i know the dean likes students to ask questions during the lunch, she marks who asked questions on her paper.
I’m for sure not the most outgoing person. So that’s good to know. Something I can work on

Amazing job on your biotech gpa !!!!!

Yikes —- one of them has class there and Clinicals at FiU, AUA I think , but can u imagine all that hard work and money and no match -

Yikes —- one of them has class there and Clinicals at FiU, AUA I think , but can u imagine all that hard work and money and no match -
That one you’re talking about I actually looked into, they actually do everything at the carribean but are granted a “graduate certificate” from FIU, which is meaningless. But of course, in their marketing and advertisements, they will make it sound like they’re the equivalent of an FIU med student, which could not be further from the truth.

TLDR: Carib schools have next-level marketing schemes. Once you begin an app on their website and put in your contact info, expect to be called, texted and sent emails every day that will push you to submit.

I work with about 6 doctors in the ED that graduated from Caribbean medical schools and they are fantastic doctors. With that being said each and everyone of them said NOT to apply to Caribbean schools unless you have applied to both DO and MD multiple cycles with no luck.

That one you’re talking about I actually looked into, they actually do everything at the carribean but are granted a “graduate certificate” from FIU, which is meaningless. But of course, in their marketing and advertisements, they will make it sound like they’re the equivalent of an FIU med student, which could not be further from the truth.

TLDR: Carib schools have next-level marketing schemes. Once you begin an app on their website and put in your contact info, expect to be called, texted and sent emails every day that will push you to submit.
Wow! Great info

I work with about 6 doctors in the ED that graduated from Caribbean medical schools and they are fantastic doctors. With that being said each and everyone of them said NOT to apply to Caribbean schools unless you have applied to both DO and MD multiple cycles with no luck.
So last resort type thing! Makes sense
Thanks for the info

Weird question:

So I took Biology 1 but not with a lab (long story). However, I have several biology classes with labs outside of Biology 1. You think they'd be cool with that?

Weird question:

So I took Biology 1 but not with a lab (long story). However, I have several biology classes with labs outside of Biology 1. You think they'd be cool with that?
Yes, my undergrad didn't even have a class titled Biology 1 or Biology 2 etc. I just counted anatomy/phys/genetics/etc. and it was fine

How did you contact the admission counselors on the phone to talk about your alternate list? What number did you call?

I have been on the alternate list for a while now hoping for some response and want to contact the school but don't see anything online.

How did you contact the admission counselors on the phone to talk about your alternate list? What number did you call?

I have been on the alternate list for a while now hoping for some response and want to contact the school but don't see anything online.
I only called to ask for help from an admissions counselor of course I left a message to the vm and no one has called me back - if you were asking me ;)

Going to send in reapplication in a week or two. I applied way too late last cycle (in January) though I still got a alternate list. So, hopefully that will help since I am going to be applying much earlier. I hope it won’t look too bad as a reapplicant

Hey guys! Nova is starting to pull people off their alternate list! A friend of mine got accepted today, and I received a call saying I was next on their list. Good luck you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Good luck to everyone else on WL!

However, the deposit hyperlink isn't working and when I put it into the address bar it comes up as a blank screen. Does anyone on the feed possibly have the link? Please DM me.

Edit: I tried several typing in the link within my safari browser on my MacBook without luck. I used the link on my iPhone via safari and it worked just fine. Maybe try firefox or chrome if you are having issues. It was a pain using my phone but didn't want to download a new browser at the moment.

Last edited:
Accepted! Good luck to everyone else on WL!

However, the deposit hyperlink isn't working and when I put it into the address bar it comes up as a blank screen. Does anyone on the feed possibly have the link? Please DM me.
Congrats!!!!! WTG

Hey guys! Nova is starting to pull people off their alternate list! A friend of mine got accepted today, and I received a call saying I was next on their list. Good luck you guys!
Did you get the call too ?

All accepted please join the fb group

I have heard nothing nada zip zero :(
I know its hard waiting so stay strong! I spent 3+ gap years preparing to apply just working, volunteering, etc. It was starting to wear on me after 8 years on this trip but something has to give in to your favor at one point. Just keep at it and try to stay hopeful! :)

Are these acceptances for David or Clearwater?

Oh and congratulations for all

Anyone else hear anything..... patience is a.... oh heck not existent!!!!!

Did anyone else receive a call earlier today to see if they were still interested in NSU?

Submitted my secondary in July, just offered an interview for June 27th lol

• Wow