2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
probably gonna look bad for me to submit here right after hearing about full tuition... but i didn't seriously consider new york schools due to crazy high costs so this solves that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
probably gonna look bad for me to submit here right after hearing about full tuition... but i didn't seriously consider new york schools due to crazy high costs so this solves that.
Same! Just added them to my primary app :laugh:

They announced it at this year’s white coat ceremony (which just happened).
woah imagine you show up at your white coat ceremony and it's like "wowow so exciting gonna be a doctor one day but also ugh not looking forward to being one million dollars in debt four years from now" and then NYU's just like lol FREE MED SCHOOL

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
woah imagine you show up at your white coat ceremony and it's like "wowow so exciting gonna be a doctor one day but also ugh not looking forward to being one million dollars in debt four years from now" and then NYU's just like lol FREE MED SCHOOL

I can't imagine what they're feeling right now! But I want to feel it too! Looking forward to that II

Just submitted my app here and officially joined the bandwagon. How long did it take people to get a secondary from here?

Just submitted my app here and officially joined the bandwagon. How long did it take people to get a secondary from here?

I hope it's soon because I just finished writing mine up, that's how excited this news made me.

II just now! LizzyM is 114 and WARS is 132. lol nah but seriously do stats even matter any more with free tuition? I think every premed until the end of time will throw out an application to NYU. It's basically like playing the lottery.

Lol, as much as I would like to apply here again for dat dank free tuition, they threw my application in the shredder as soon as they got mine last cycle. This was one of the first schools to reject me last year haha. Good luck to everyone else applying!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure NYU has known they were going to make this announcement for a while now. My question is, do you all believe that the IIs they've already sent were with this in mind? I'm feeling total imposter syndrome having gotten an II, knowing my stats aren't really up to par with NYU and seeing you all talk about how it's going to get more competitive. I'm so excited about this school but at the same time my stress levels are now on overdrive.

Feeling the exact same way. NYU had already been my first choice since the beginning of the cycle, and I got an II in the first 2 days they released them, but the chances of actually getting accepted now feel astronomical... I do wonder if they'll simply extend fewer interviews this year, or if the increased selectivity will manifest in a reduced interview-->acceptance ratio. Either way, I hope we all get in lol.

Feeling the exact same way. NYU had already been my first choice since the beginning of the cycle, and I got an II in the first 2 days they released them, but the chances of actually getting accepted now feel astronomical... I do wonder if they'll simply extend fewer interviews this year, or if the increased selectivity will manifest in a reduced interview-->acceptance ratio. Either way, I hope we all get in lol.

Yield will probably improve so what we will see is probably fewer acceptances go out from the waitlist to fill the class. Post interview acceptance rate will probably stay the same. Unlikely to see a significant change in level of competition until next cycle...even then the number of people actually competitive for NYU will always be a lot smaller than the total number that apply. Even if twice the number of apps are sent in, the actually competitive pool might only marginally increase. The top 5% of applicants were already applying to NYU regardless...now they are just less likely to go elsewhere if accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
Yield will probably improve so what we will see is probably fewer acceptances go out from the waitlist to fill the class. Post interview acceptance rate will probably stay the same. Unlikely to see a significant change in level of competition until next cycle...even then the number of people actually competitive for NYU will always be a lot smaller than the total number that apply. Even if twice the number of apps are sent in, the actually competitive pool might only marginally increase. The top 5% of applicants were already applying to NYU regardless...now they are just less likely to go elsewhere if accepted
Thanks for the insight!

Still feeling super nervous, but I'm determined to kill this interview! Does anyone have any tips/advice for MMI success?

Don't the post-interview acceptance rates from previous years (i.e. the 29% quoted earlier in the thread by @dodolol21) include those accepted off the waitlist? Or does that rate only reflect the percentage of interviewees who were accepted right off the bat?

Don't the post-interview acceptance rates from previous years (i.e. the 29% quoted earlier in the thread by @dodolol21) include those accepted off the waitlist? Or does that rate only reflect the percentage of interviewees who were accepted right off the bat?

Idk how US news compiles that info so /shrug

Next year's acceptance data on MSAR is going to be lit.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes but now they can afford to give out significantly fewer acceptances since they know a vast, vast majority will be taking them up on that full ride and so the % accepted from that super competitive group will go down (effectively making the school hella competitive)

Does anyone know the character count for the first two essays because it doesn't say in the first post. It only says 2500 characters for the last three essays.

I thought the class size was moving to 40 students eventually. Can anyone confirm/deny?

My app has been verified/complete for many weeks but I'm scared of adding more schools.... the message that you get saying you have to resubmit your application makes me nervous haha could anyone let me know what happens when you add more schools?

My app has been verified/complete for many weeks but I'm scared of adding more schools.... the message that you get saying you have to resubmit your application makes me nervous haha could anyone let me know what happens when you add more schools?

You literally just reaccept the agreements and pay the new additional fees and that's it lol.

I thought the class size was moving to 40 students eventually. Can anyone confirm/deny?
That wouldn't make a lot of sense to me considering they've been working hard to raise a $600 million endowment when they would only need half that for a 40 student class. I suppose if they did continue cutting class size they could add living expenses to their full tuition scholarship or just spend the money on something else

Can deny. Just asked the admissions office to confirm: the class size will be staying constant around 102 students.

Reactions: 6 users
That wouldn't make a lot of sense to me considering they've been working hard to raise a $600 million endowment when they would only need half that for a 40 student class. I suppose if they did continue cutting class size they could add living expenses to their full tuition scholarship or just spend the money on something else
Don't forget that it's for all their students. I think the current class has around 100 in it so that would be still be around 220 people to pay full tuition for a 4 year set. I feel like that money is expected to last for a long time

Don't forget that it's for all their students. I think the current class has around 100 in it so that would be still be around 220 people to pay full tuition for a 4 year set. I feel like that money is expected to last for a long time
Just the average interest per year from 600 million would be enough to cover the tuition of 100 students tbh, but idk maybe they have their own reasons

Just the average interest per year from 600 million would be enough to cover the tuition of 100 students tbh, but idk maybe they have their own reasons
Lol you're probably right. I wonder if this endowment is for other things too besides scholarships?

Lol you're probably right. I wonder if this endowment is for other things too besides scholarships?
NYU account on this thread just posted that class size will remain at around 102 students, but not sure why we're worrying lol chances are we won't even be in their class with how competitive it'll be

Reactions: 3 users
NYU account on this thread just posted that class size will remain at around 102 students, but not sure why we're worrying lol chances are we won't even be in their class with how competitive it'll be
An NYU accept is like one of those golden tickets to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory

Reactions: 5 users
do schools give fee waivers to be added to our primary app? I was thinking of sending an email to NYU and 2 other schools

do schools give fee waivers to be added to our primary app? I was thinking of sending an email to NYU and 2 other schools
i think you're limited to the 16 free ones through aamc since the primary has nothing to do with the school

Over the next decade? Not just this year

I mean, I can't say the school will never shrink its class size ever. But my understanding from the admissions office is that there are no current plans to decrease the class size.

I'm sure NYU has known they were going to make this announcement for a while now. My question is, do you all believe that the IIs they've already sent were with this in mind? I'm feeling total imposter syndrome having gotten an II, knowing my stats aren't really up to par with NYU and seeing you all talk about how it's going to get more competitive. I'm so excited about this school but at the same time my stress levels are now on overdrive.
What do you consider not up to par? Mind sharing your metrics?

Has anybody with LM <70 gotten an II? And seems like some schools consider LGBT+ as a URM and NYU has a looooot of LGBT stuff on their diversity page. With my low stats I dont expect anything but they seem to align well with my goals and mission.

Has anybody with LM <70 gotten an II? And seems like some schools consider LGBT+ as a URM and NYU has a looooot of LGBT stuff on their diversity page. With my low stats I dont expect anything but they seem to align well with my goals and mission.
I was lucky enough to get an II. Beyond being URM, my ECs, values, personal background, and essays might have made up for my lower stats. My guess is that you just gotta hope the shoe fits

II today! LizzyM 75, Complete 8/8. I cannot even believe this!! Still screaming

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone,

I have a LizzyM score of 77.30 and a pretty good deal of diversity/ECs.

But I just submitted my primary today. Think my odds of an II will be there given the fact that they just received a ****ton of applicants?

Hey everyone,

I have a LizzyM score of 77.30 and a pretty good deal of diversity/ECs.

But I just submitted my primary today. Think my odds of an II will be there given the fact that they just received a ****ton of applicants?
Odds of an II were never good for any applicant. NYU is just extremely competitive which is just a truth we all have to face :D . But you are definitely up there in the running!

Odds of an II were never good for any applicant. NYU is just extremely competitive which is just a truth we all have to face :D . But you are definitely up there in the running!

You're definitely not wrong. I'm pissed at myself for not applying before this announcement lol. Best of luck to you, man.

Reactions: 2 users
For the personal accomplishment essay: It mentions non-academic. I'm a fire fighter and I have to do weekly drills and whatnot. I also had to do a 3 month long class. Does this class count as academic? It wasn't through a college or anything.