2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the personal accomplishment essay: It mentions non-academic. I'm a fire fighter and I have to do weekly drills and whatnot. I also had to do a 3 month long class. Does this class count as academic? It wasn't through a college or anything.
That sounds like a great topic just focus on the non-school type parts of academy and work

Members don't see this ad.

I found this gem today while I was creeping on last years forum. I hope the MMI is as fun as they say because I am really nervous with lower stats!

Edit: she was talking about what Dean Rivera said at her interview I believe

Attachments

• 9D6A0B65-5994-41E5-83A1-D7D95DCDB51E.png
    9D6A0B65-5994-41E5-83A1-D7D95DCDB51E.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 369
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow this is crazy, this was the last school that I applied to just randomly after hearing about the full tuition thing and I just got an interview invite today :eek::eek::eek:

Was honestly not expecting much but I'm glad people convinced me it was worth a shot.

Reactions: 10 users
lol just read the email, and this is the first interview I've seen where they start at 10:30 am. Bless you NYU, all the other schools have been like 8 or 8:30 am.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow this is crazy, this was the last school that I applied to just randomly after hearing about the full tuition thing and I just got an interview invite today :eek::eek::eek:

Was honestly not expecting much but I'm glad people convinced me it was worth a shot.
Complete date? Stats? And what time did you get the email?

Complete date? Stats? And what time did you get the email?

Got the email 12:20ish, completed like second week of August I think but will have to check when I get on my laptop later. I'll pm you stats

Reactions: 1 user
Got the email 12:20ish, completed like second week of August I think but will have to check when I get on my laptop later. I'll pm you stats
considering my complete date of 7/14 with no II ill probably just call my TOD now lmao

Does anyone feel like NYU is giving way more II than expected? I feel like they know they'll be able to hand-pick their class and want to be able to see every possible option.

Does anyone feel like NYU is giving way more II than expected? I feel like they know they'll be able to hand-pick their class and want to be able to see every possible option.

During the Twitter chat last week, the dean said that they were planning to extend 900 invites for the MD program and they had sent a little more than half of all invites so far. But yeah, I'm seeing lots of invites on the tracker. It might be that the interview period ends earlier for NYU compared to most other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the Twitter chat last week, the dean said that they were planning to extend 900 invites for the MD program and they had sent a little more than half of all invites so far. But yeah, I'm seeing lots of invites on the tracker. It might be that the interview period ends earlier for NYU compared to most other schools.
Can’t wait to see what the post II acceptance rate is this year..

How many ppl do you accept for a class of 100 if you’re giving out full rides to all? 130?

So 13.5%

Can’t wait to see what the post II acceptance rate is this year..

How many ppl do you accept for a class of 100 if you’re giving out full rides to all? 130?

So 13.5%

It was 3x the class size in past years, so maybe 2x from now on? Some people with NYU acceptances will still get full rides from other schools, plus we have those rich kids who will choose Harvard over NYU and pay for the brand. So I'm not sure if they can go much below 2x. Hopefully not? :/

II today. Complete 8/14. So excited! NYU has been my dream school forever! and by that I mean since they announced free tuition

Reactions: 6 users
Does NYU screen primary apps before sending out invites for secondary?

II today. Complete 8/14. So excited! NYU has been my dream school forever! and by that I mean since they announced free tuition
Congrats! What was your research background like if you don’t mind me asking?

Congrats! What was your research background like if you don’t mind me asking?
Lol nada. Not sure why I even applied, but I guess its working out so far. My "stand-out" thing is athletics so I guess that made up for no research

Since hearing that they said goodbye to tuition, I was wondering if it is too late to apply now (I think we can add more schools to the primary?). Any thoughts? Should I give it a shot or don't even bother at this point?

Since hearing that they said goodbye to tuition, I was wondering if it is too late to apply now (I think we can add more schools to the primary?). Any thoughts? Should I give it a shot or don't even bother at this point?

If you are competitive for NYU then all you can do is give it a shot if you feel it’s worth the secondary fee. They have given a lot of IIs already so you will be at a relative disadvantage from a purely numerical perspective. But if you’re a good fit for them, then you will still get invited. I’d say have a 3.8/516 at the least. Not subscribed to MSAR currently but I’m thinking that’s the 10th percentile here

My logic is as follows. They will probably give acceptances to around 1% of of the people that apply. If you're truly competitive those odds will be quite a bit higher. Even with 1% odds of an acceptance from a purely financial perspective you're paying ~$140 (don't remember the exact secondary fee) for a 1% chance at a $200,000 pot. Vegas odds says a $140 buy in for a mean profit of $2,000 is pretty good ;)

Tldr: go for it!

Reactions: 3 users
My logic is as follows. They will probably give acceptances to around 1% of of the people that apply. If you're truly competitive those odds will be quite a bit higher. Even with 1% odds of an acceptance from a purely financial perspective you're paying ~$140 (don't remember the exact secondary fee) for a 1% chance at a $200,000 pot. Vegas odds says a $140 buy in for a mean profit of $2,000 is pretty good ;)

Tldr: go for it!
Beautifully done

That's the dilemma for me. I have 3.86/504 (their website shows that their mcat range is 504-527). The highlight of my application is research- I co-authored a published paper, and another one is on the way. So, hopefully they will like who I am better than my mcat score :shy:

That's the dilemma for me. I have 3.86/504 (their website shows that their mcat range is 504-527). The highlight of my application is research- I co-authored a published paper, and another one is on the way. So, hopefully they will like who I am better than my mcat score :shy:
Well that's where the "truly competitive" part comes in. Unfortunately if you're not URM a 504 is likely lethal at NYU. I think most people within 10th percentile should shoot their shot just bc of how strong the scholarship is, but below that and suddenly that 1% chance drops to virtually zero. Unfortunately there are just too many applicants with high mcat and similar research experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
Well that's where the "truly competitive" part comes in. Unfortunately if you're not URM a 504 is likely lethal at NYU. I think most people within 10th percentile should shoot their shot just bc of how strong the scholarship is, but below that and suddenly that 1% chance drops to virtually zero. Unfortunately there are just too many applicants with high mcat and similar research experiences.

Agree. A pub is a Big accomplishment. At a research oriented school like NYU it’s the kind of thing that makes a 10th percentile score competitive in addition to other factors. But a 504 is likely too low to make applying worth it

Agree. A pub is a Big accomplishment. At a research oriented school like NYU it’s the kind of thing that makes a 10th percentile score competitive in addition to other factors. But a 504 is likely too low to make applying worth it

Thank you! I appreciate your comments!!

Still waiting to hear from the student ambassadors about student hosting but just in case it ends up not working out does anyone have any suggestions for decent housing under $100. I'm starting to realize just how expensive NYC is :( but that free tuition would still make up for it

Still waiting to hear from the student ambassadors about student hosting but just in case it ends up not working out does anyone have any suggestions for decent housing under $100. I'm starting to realize just how expensive NYC is :( but that free tuition would still make up for it
Tbh I don’t think you can find anything in the city, especially downtown near NYU, for under $100! Unless you share a room with someone or super luck out on Airbnb.

EDIT: jk actually you should look into hostels if you’re really strapped for cash! Idk if there are any near NYU but it’s so easy to get around Manhattan with subways or taxis so even if you find something on the west side or uptown it wouldn’t be too hard to get to NYU

Another edit: I’ve never stayed in hostels in the US tho, only abroad, so idk how gross they might be but I used Hostelworld a lot when I was abroad so try looking there!

Congrats!!what is your LizzyM score if you don't mind me asking?

Tbh I don’t think you can find anything in the city, especially downtown near NYU, for under $100! Unless you share a room with someone or super luck out on Airbnb.

EDIT: jk actually you should look into hostels if you’re really strapped for cash! Idk if there are any near NYU but it’s so easy to get around Manhattan with subways or taxis so even if you find something on the west side or uptown it wouldn’t be too hard to get to NYU

Another edit: I’ve never stayed in hostels in the US tho, only abroad, so idk how gross they might be but I used Hostelworld a lot when I was abroad so try looking there!

The hostels I found nearby had some pretty bad reviews lol, I'm hopping student hosting is available but if not I found a decent Airbnb for ~100. Better than spending 200 at a hotel. It's crazy since much nicer airbnbs at other locations only cost me around 30. Luckily there's only a tiny cancellation fee so if student hosting pulls through I can just cancel.

Just checking, but everyone has a red (!) next to "Tertiary App Submitted" (unless of course you've submitted the tertiary app), right? I submitted my app and everything was complete mid August, but I just now started to freak myself out and think that maybe there is something I'm supposed to do for the red (!) to go away before my app is really complete?

Just checking, but everyone has a red (!) next to "Tertiary App Submitted" (unless of course you've submitted the tertiary app), right? I submitted my app and everything was complete mid August, but I just now started to freak myself out and think that maybe there is something I'm supposed to do for the red (!) to go away before my app is really complete?
The red exclamation mark stays, no need to worry about it! Just make sure there's a check for the part that says "application file complete"

II just now -- shocked at the quick turn around!!

II now too! Submitted after free tuition announced 8/23 LM 80+

Anyone else still waiting for an II with an earlier completion date?

Liyzzym 75 Complete 8/3 no invite. :/

Reactions: 2 users
II Yesterday! Very quick turnaround, only submitted a couple weeks ago and very excited for this opportunity.