2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM is my top choice! verified 5/21. Maryland resident.

undergrad: cGPA 3.19/sGPA 2.95
graduate (40 credits): cGPA 4.0/sGPA 4.0
overall: cGPA 3.39/sGPA 3.28

MCAT: 508 (126/124/129/129)

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM is my top choice! verified 5/21. Maryland resident.

undergrad: cGPA 3.19/sGPA 2.95
graduate (40 credits): cGPA 4.0/sGPA 4.0
overall: cGPA 3.39/sGPA 3.28

MCAT: 508 (126/124/129/129)

Definitely a top choice for me too! I've got similar stats
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to their open house and they seriously impressed! If you haven't seen their facilities they are very nice, especially the "practice clinic" it has a fancier name I can't remember. The students were also very nice and seemed very happy with their decision to go there which is a good sign. This is probably my top choice but it is the only school open house i've been to.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
In my top 3 as well! Good luck! Anyone have any idea when we’d start getting secondary?

Super interested in PCOM! Aacomas gpa (3.3c 3.45s 525) Checked the most recent match list and saw a Derm Match. Wow! Any current students have any insight?

Super interested in PCOM! Aacomas gpa (3.3c 3.45s 525) Checked the most recent match list and saw a Derm Match. Wow! Any current students have any insight?

525?! Damn good for you haha

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know when secondaries start coming out??

Just got an email from PCOM. They are going through system upgrade.

Just got an email from PCOM. They are going through system upgrade.
I got that too. I wonder if it will wipe out the point of applying early since it won't be till late July that it is ready

I'm assuming they won't be sending secondaries until mid-late July

Hoping they still get their upgrade done soon so I can get the secondary submitted/complete before the MD school's start sending their's. Don't want to be overwhelmed (at least right away)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping they still get their upgrade done soon so I can get the secondary submitted/complete before the MD school's start sending their's. Don't want to be overwhelmed (at least right away)
Prewrite your MD ones.
I already received 3 MD secondaries today

Even prewriting them, there will be a lot. Over 20 MD schools
Of course but best to get to work early haha.
I started prewriting mine a month ago, have 22 schools done. Takes a while but best to start early.

Top choice for me, 20 minutes away from home! Waiting anxiously for a secondary.

Jumpin in for the wait!
3.82 GPA 507 MCAT
GL all!

Last edited:
How long did it take you guys to get a secondary? I submitted my primary Monday, but nothing from PCOM yet.

How long did it take you guys to get a secondary? I submitted my primary Monday, but nothing from PCOM yet.
I've had my Primary submitted since the first day and no secondary yet.
They said they were working on somethings and secondaries would be delayed til later in July/August

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! Waiting on my MCAT score to complete my app! Received their email that they have my primary and then another email that they are working on portal updates. MCAT will be back 7/31 so fingers crossed!

My friends got emails from PCOM regarding portal updates but I haven't. Anxious!

I submitted my primary on 6/24 and still haven't heard a peep. When have others submitted primaries that received the portal update emails? Maybe I just submitted later than you guys?

Portal update emails came from both PA and GA campuses on 6/26 for anyone wondering!

"Greetings from PCOM!

Thank you for your submission of an application to our Osteopathic Medicine program for 2019 admission!

This message serves to inform you that the PCOM Office of Admissions is currently undergoing a software upgrade
that will enhance your applicant experience. As soon as our implementation has completed, we will begin processing
applications and communicating with you on next steps. We expect to complete this important upgrade by the end of July.
Interviews are expected to begin by the end of September.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to assisting you through the application process!

Sincerely,

PCOM Office of Admissions"

Didn't get this email :( uh oh

Anyone get a secondary yet? This is the only school I haven't received one from.

Not yet! It’s really taking forever lol

Not yet! It’s really taking forever lol

It really is!! Luckily I’m not behind with this school though. MCAT scores for me are released on Tuesday so lll be right on time hopefully!

You guys got the email about the system update right? It may be a while before we see the secondary, but DO cycles run until like March.

You guys got the email about the system update right? It may be a while before we see the secondary, but DO cycles run until like March.

I saw someone posted the email above, but never got that email. Hmmmm

Anyone know if PCOM's super good AOA residencies in ENT/Plastics and Ortho are going to be flooded with MDs after the merger? Or do you think they'll still preference DO applicants? I know this is probs a ridiculous thing to consider before even starting school but since we're all just waiting on their secondary anyways..

Last edited:
Anyone know if PCOM's super good AOA residencies in ENT/Plastics and Ortho are going to be flooded with MDs after the merger? Or do you think they'll still preference DO applicants? I know this is probs a ridiculous thing to consider before even starting school but since we're all just waiting on their secondary anyways..
PCOM Open house I attended had a panel that was pretty adamant about the fact that the merger will not hurt DO competitiveness. Remains to be seen I suppose.

My (very limited) understanding is that it depends on the preferences of the program directors, so it's hard to predict. However, I'd imagine they would still prefer DOs to ensure that DOs continue to have access to historically competitive specialties.

I don't think it's ridiculous to be concerned about the merger. But I also don't think that it will close the door to those hardworking DOs who want to go into more competitive specialties!

Waitlisted here this past cycle and anxious to get the secondary in and completed.

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted here this past cycle and anxious to get the secondary in and completed.

Good luck!! I’m getting anxious as to when their updates will be finished so we can all submit secondaries!!!

Remember it is going to take them time to do all the applications when they come in so do not expect your application to be done when it is received. They usually ask fifteen days but it could take much longer to get things done. Patience is the name of the game.

I believe this was last year's (correct me if i'm wrong I just did some searching on old forums)

"Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (Max 250 words)"

so few words :(

I believe this was last year's (correct me if i'm wrong I just did some searching on old forums)

"Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (Max 250 words)"

Few words can be a good thing.

Sometimes for sure, but this one seems to be asking a few questions in one!
I look at is a shorter rehash of your personal statement except it's oriented towards osteopathic medicine.

Thanks!

Still waiting to hear back from these guys. One of my top choices where are you :confused: