2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
525 MCAT...?
They might think you're not serious on attending PCOM since your MCAT score can get you into Top-tiered schools

I'm very serious about attending PCOM if I don't get into any MD schools. It's one of the few DO schools in a great location (for me). I've heard that DO schools do not practice "yield protection".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember if the secondary asked about any additional criminal charges besides those already reported on aacomas??

Does anyone remember if the secondary asked about any additional criminal charges besides those already reported on aacomas??
Hmm... I think it said only to select "yes" if you were *convicted* of a crime other than a parking or traffic violation. Someone else should confirm this, though.

Hmm... I think it said only to select "yes" if you were *convicted* of a crime other than a parking or traffic violation. Someone else should confirm this, though.

Yeah, I can confirm that it only asks if you were found convicted. Doesn't ask about charges or arrests.

Completed August 27th.... so it seems like there is a long wait ahead of me

Do you have any reservations applying to the same school 3 times?
I spoke with an associate director of admissions and expressed my concern for applying a third time. He shared examples of students receiving an acceptance their third time around. Persistence is key.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with an associate director of admissions and expressed my concern for applying a third time. He shared examples of students receiving an acceptance their third time around. Persistence is key.
Did you get post-interview rejections or pre-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted early August, but letters aren't marked as received/processed. Anyone else in this boat?

Congrats to everyone getting interviews. PCOM is high on my list, but other premeds have caused me to worry I won't get an II. My GPA is 3.71. My MCAT is a 508. I don't feel like these are that incredible of stats, but my friends keep telling me that I have stats just high enough, that I won't be taken seriously. Is this BS?

Congrats to everyone getting interviews. PCOM is high on my list, but other premeds have caused me to worry I won't get an II. My GPA is 3.71. My MCAT is a 508. I don't feel like these are that incredible of stats, but my friends keep telling me that I have stats just high enough, that I won't be taken seriously. Is this BS?
My take is that you can because from what I know PCOM has taken people from a wide range of scores. Apparently, it's a not a thing where schools think you're score is too high and they won't take you seriously. A lot of pre-meds and medical students have told me that's a myth but honestly who knows. Either way a 508 is a great score but from what I've seen it's just on the border of MD and DO. The average of many MD schools MCAT have hit 510 or above. I have seen so many people on SDN applying to DO or low to mid tier MDs with much higher scores. So I wouldn't worry. Hopefully others can tell us their opinions on this too. :)

My take is that you can because from what I know PCOM has taken people from a wide range of scores. Apparently, it's a not a thing where schools think you're score is too high and they won't take you seriously. A lot of pre-meds and medical students have told me that's a myth but honestly who knows. Either way a 508 is a great score but from what I've seen it's just on the border of MD and DO. The average of many MD schools MCAT have hit 510 or above. I have seen so many people on SDN applying to DO or low to mid tier MDs with much higher scores. So I wouldn't worry. Hopefully others can tell us their opinions on this too. :)
I am confused as to why someone wouldn't be taken seriously because of it? Isn't that precisely what these schools want. Sheeeesh so picky!

I am confused as to why someone wouldn't be taken seriously because of it? Isn't that precisely what these schools want. Sheeeesh so picky!
Yeah I don't completely understand it either. There's this idea going around that if you apply to a school whose average MCAT is much lower than your score, they won't take you because you can get into a better school. It's called yield protection if I am not mistaken but again many say that's not true. Only people who would actually know are adcom members of course.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you with a slightly lower GPA, I honestly wouldn’t think much about it unless your EC’s are severely lacking. Yeah our stats are basically borderline MD/DO, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we won’t be taken seriously, if anything, I think it would do the exact opposite, meaning they know we have the stats to get in, it’s just a matter of us fitting their mission through secondaries and selling ourselves in the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard DO schools yield protect much less than MD, or at least I hope. I have similar scores to the person you responded to (~ 3.65, 512) and I’d be honored to go to PCOM or another DO school. The bar for medical school gets higher every year.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve heard DO schools yield protect much less than MD, or at least I hope. I have similar scores to the person you responded to (~ 3.65, 512) and I’d be honored to go to PCOM or another DO school. The bar for medical school gets higher every year.
Oh yeah any medical school (DO or MD) is great and especially PCOM from what I have understood. Each year, it gets more and more difficult. I honestly wouldn't worry about PCOM specifically because I looked at the past thread and their interviewee scores are pretty diverse.

I attended a DO interview, and my MCAT is a touch higher than your's. Someone clearly took me seriously. Don't worry about being about being chucked out of the pile for being "over-qualified," especially if you expressed honest interest in their program in your essays!

Hah... how could anyone be over-qualified for the hardest schooling that the American education system can offer?

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the responses everyone. Ever since I’ve got my score back I’ve been told how it’s a gray area and DOs may not have think I’m serious about their school. It’s hard to express that I’ve sort of drunk the DO kool aid without sounding preachy.

But, again, thanks for the responses. Anyone else had other DO interview invites? I just got LECOM today (first one!).

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ever since I’ve got my score back I’ve been told how it’s a gray area and DOs may not have think I’m serious about their school. It’s hard to express that I’ve sort of drunk the DO kool aid without sounding preachy.

But, again, thanks for the responses. Anyone else had other DO interview invites? I just got LECOM today (first one!).
Congrats, thats so exciting! LECOM and AZCOM for me

Drunk the DO koolaid! That's pretty funny.

We totally understand. So much anxiety going on and sometimes we feel like we can never win. But I genuinely believe you won't have any issue with your score if your reasons are genuine and sometimes it's okay to be preachy. So I got LECOM, WVSOM, and Touro Nevada so far. I attended LECOM already so feel free to pm me for any info on that. I'd be happy to help.

Sooo... there has only been one II reported here, but they start interviews in under 2 weeks :eyebrow:

Sooo... there has only been one II reported here, but they start interviews in under 2 weeks :eyebrow:
Not everyone is on SDN and not everyone is reporting whether they got an interview or not.

where can i check on this stuff? i can't seem to find any links from my emails to check my status.
There should be a link that says 'PCOM Application Portal' in the acknowledgement receipt of AACOMAS application email that is sent with the supplemental/secondary app.

Still waiting for my supplemental to be marked as received and I submitted 8/16. :confused:

how do you know if supplemental is marked as received? on the portal, everything has a date by it, but i never got an email that said everything is officially in

how do you know if supplemental is marked as received? on the portal, everything has a date by it, but i never got an email that said everything is officially in
They don’t sent email updates. If there is a date then you’re good.

I submitted 8/16 too. It was marked 8/27. You should email.
Thank you for that! I just didn’t want to email and for them to say “we said up to 15 business days...” which would be sometime next week. I’ll go ahead and email them now.

I personally think if you feel a little unsure about something being received by admissions that you should just contact PCOM. Part of admissions' job is processing your files and keeping you up to date with what's going on. Don't be afraid to "bother" them is all I'm saying.

I personally think if you feel a little unsure about something being received by admissions that you should just contact PCOM. Part of admissions' job is processing your files and keeping you up to date with what's going on. Don't be afraid to "bother" them is all I'm saying.
Very true. Thank you :)

Thank you for that! I just didn’t want to email and for them to say “we said up to 15 business days...” which would be sometime next week. I’ll go ahead and email them now.
It's been received!

Do you guys think PCOM will give II preference to those with DO shadowing or clinical experience over those who don't?

Do you guys think PCOM will give II preference to those with DO shadowing or clinical experience over those who don't?
DO schools like to see DO shadowing/DO LoR. General clinical experience is a must for any medical school, though.

Probably. I have no experience shadowing a DO, but I have a cousin and brother-in-law who are DOs. So it's not like I'm totally ignorant to the practice.