May 23, 2018
For those anxious individuals on the waitlist: There is a survey in the accepted students group where so far 53 people have said they are coming in the fall. If you consider people who aren't in the facebook group and people who didn't vote for whatever reason, that means probably 20-30 students will be coming from the waitlist.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
For those anxious individuals on the waitlist: There is a survey in the accepted students group where so far 53 people have said they are coming in the fall. If you consider people who aren't in the facebook group and people who didn't vote for whatever reason, that means probably 20-30 students will be coming from the waitlist.
you're an angel!

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I think this is overly optimistic. There are 9 Knight Hennessy Scholars in the class. They're not typically joiners of groups like FB, plus they are already committed. Additionally, there will be at least 12 MD/PhDs in the class. Again not usually participants in these fora. From Second Look, I knew that several were waiting on FA offers, many of which came very late in April. While there will be waitlist movement, I doubt it will be as high as 20. In the single digits, if it were my guess.

Reactions: NotoriousRBG
May 23, 2018
I think this is overly optimistic. There are 9 Knight Hennessy Scholars in the class. They're not typically joiners of groups like FB, plus they are already committed. Additionally, there will be at least 12 MD/PhDs in the class. Again not usually participants in these fora. From Second Look, I knew that several were waiting on FA offers, many of which came very late in April. While there will be waitlist movement, I doubt it will be as high as 20. In the single digits, if it were my guess.
Actually it looks like all KH students are in the group and 5 voted on the poll. You could be right about MSTP though. I don't know, just trying to give some people some data to work with!

Reactions: kakaaw

AbsolutelyAlpha

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually it looks like all KH students are in the group and 5 voted on the poll. You could be right about MSTP though. I don't know, just trying to give some people some data to work with!
We appreciate you sharing that information! By any chance, did the poll stats change since you last posted?

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So add another 4 KH Scholars (to get to the 9), conservatively add 8 MD/PhDs, add me (I eschew public sites generally) and add another 5 who are folks like me and you are at 76. If the class is 85, then maybe 9 WL slots.

What I noticed at Second Look is that Stanford seems quite sensitive to diversity (as they should be), and not simply with regards to race, gender, sexual orientation and socio-economic status. They appear, as well, interested in attracting people with a diversity of talents (e.g., accomplished musicians, athletes, entrepreneurs, etc.). People who could become Doctors Plus. It struck me as a kind of Noah's Arc, "two of each." With such a small class, my sense (no data) is they will pull from the WL so as to ensure the class has "two of each."

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
No. I think there will be movement but most may not come until early June. New traffic rules have not given admission officers the clarity they need to understand whether they have a full class. That certainty is likely not to come until folks exercise their Commit to Enroll.

Jun 30, 2018
No. I think there will be movement but most may not come until early June. New traffic rules have not given admission officers the clarity they need to understand whether they have a full class. That certainty is likely not to come until folks exercise their Commit to Enroll.
Is this speculation or insider info?

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It is true generally, not to specific to Stanford. There is also some likelihood, at this point, that Stanford is oversubscribed based on their Plan to Enroll census, and are waiting on Commit to Enroll to know whether (or not) to go to the WL.

To what do you ascribe the lack of WL movement at Stanford, and many other schools?

shispare

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2014
Status
Non-Student
Did anyone get any clarification about whether they still accept updates from people on the waitlist? I emailed them a while ago asking about that, but never heard back.

OP
Lucca

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I would probably refrain from reading too much into the fb group, or whatever this survey is (I'm accepted and have no idea what y'all are referring to). After May 15th, probably 99% of WL movement will be done.

May 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I would probably refrain from reading too much into the fb group, or whatever this survey is (I'm accepted and have no idea what y'all are referring to). After May 15th, probably 99% of WL movement will be done.
I hope this doesn't come off as me sounding like I'm overly optimistic or in denial about waitlist movement tapering off, but I thought @Fencer or another program admin had mentioned at some point in a thread that due to a more drawn out cycle, there was likely to be more waitlist movement in June?

Nov 16, 2018
It seem's like it's an interest survey for a few students on the waitlist.

AbsolutelyAlpha

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Can someone in the Facebook group share information about the survey? How many people are planning on attending? Does it seem like the class is full?

AbsolutelyAlpha

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hate to be the pessimistic one, but I imagine the class is full by now. Based on last year, Stanford sent out WL offers pretty early on
It’s highly likely that the class is full, but since traffic rules changed this year, there might be a small chance the class isn’t full.

Sep 24, 2018
Can someone in the Facebook group share information about the survey? How many people are planning on attending? Does it seem like the class is full?
It's not really a survey, it's just a fb poll that one of the current students put up. 65 people have said "yes I'm coming!" and 2 have said "yes but deferring." However I doubt that is an accurate reflection of the current class size because I'm sure some people haven't answered the poll.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone on the waitlist here not receive a rejection but also not receive one of those interest surveys?

Reactions: President1