2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still sending out acceptances...?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my financial aid package! My estimated student contribution was 0 and family contribution was 0 as well. I received 78k in grants (covers full tuition + received LEADER), 12k in Stanford loans (0% and 4%, interest deferred until after residency). The Cost of Attendance is slightly inflated, and with MedScholars/TAships, I think I'll at max take out 5K in Stanford subsidized loans. This is amazing <3333

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Just saw an article posted about Stanford's 2019 match list, figured I'd share it! 85 matched ("complete match"), with a large percentage going into competitive subspecialties. 9 (?!?) into derm, 4 neurosurgery, 4 ENT, etc....
Link: Eighty-five medical students meet their matches

Reactions: 1 users
Just saw an article posted about Stanford's 2019 match list, figured I'd share it! 85 matched ("complete match"), with a large percentage going into competitive subspecialties. 9 (?!?) into derm, 4 neurosurgery, 4 ENT, etc....
Link: Eighty-five medical students meet their matches

The full list is also in the match list thread on MD. Spoilers: it continues to be rly good XD

Did we ever reach a conclusion on whether their WL post-interview is pretty much a rejection or not? Also, do they accept letters of any kind from folks on the WL? Thanks in advance for answering!

Reactions: 2 users
Did we ever reach a conclusion on whether their WL post-interview is pretty much a rejection or not? Also, do they accept letters of any kind from folks on the WL? Thanks in advance for answering!
I am just guessing but I think that their waitlist is pretty much a rejection since they seem to waitlist everyone (no one has reported a rejection post-II here) and Stanford has had limited WL movement historically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who’s going to second look receive confirmation? Or any follow up about a student host?

Last edited:

I know they accept letters and updates within 2w of your interview date. They weren’t clear about after, so I emailed to ask whether they accept updates/letters. It has been more than a week and not a peep.

I took one for the team guys. I have a feeling they know the WL is a soft R and don’t wanna break the news... we just got thank u, next’ed

busts out heavy autotune

I am just guessing but I think that their waitlist is pretty much a rejection since they seem to waitlist everyone (no one has reported a rejection post-II here) and Stanford has had limited WL movement historically.
Not disagreeing with you, but response bias is still a thing. That being said, if anyone got one or interviewed a while ago and hasn’t heard anything, please share!! Rise above! lol (not gonna happen but worth a shot)

Okay! I just started to worry that I missed a step or my registration didn't go through :) Glad to know it's not just me!

cool, i was wondering the same but i have not either. but does anyone know if they have a rough schedule of events for the two days published anywhere? I remember seeing it when I filled out the second look sign-up form but i cannot access that form anymore. They also had mentioned a "second look mobile app." I am assuming that has not been released yet either.

cool, i was wondering the same but i have not either. but does anyone know if they have a rough schedule of events for the two days published anywhere? I remember seeing it when I filled out the second look sign-up form but i cannot access that form anymore. They also had mentioned a "second look mobile app." I am assuming that has not been released yet either.
Yeah I remember the app as well! I have not heard any follow up on that....hopefully we will all know a bit more soon.

Might have been mentioned, but is Stanford receptive to LOCI if you’re waitlisted?

I know they accept letters and updates within 2w of your interview date. They weren’t clear about after, so I emailed to ask whether they accept updates/letters. It has been more than a week and not a peep.

I took one for the team guys. I have a feeling they know the WL is a soft R and don’t wanna break the news... we just got thank u, next’ed

busts out heavy autotune
Waitlist is not a soft R. There are people who will get off the waitlist (including a few people I know who have already gotten accepted off the waitlist this year).

Last edited:
Waitlist is not a soft R. There are people who will get off the waitlist (including a few people I know who have already gotten accepted off the waitlist this year).
How have people already gotten off the waitlist? I thought the email they sent said the earliest we hear back is May?

How have people already gotten off the waitlist? I thought the email they sent said the earliest we hear back is May?
No clue. I am only reporting what I know, not how or why it happened.

Hey, thanks for sharing. Do you happen to know if they sent updates/LOIs after being waitlisted?

Hey, thanks for sharing. Do you happen to know if they sent updates/LOIs after being waitlisted?

I emailed to ask if they were receptive to those and got a generic response that they would contact me if a waitlist offer became available, so it seems not. But I'd be interested to hear other data points.

I emailed to ask if they were receptive to those and got a generic response that they would contact me if a waitlist offer became available, so it seems not. But I'd be interested to hear other data points.
Same. You can only send an update through the app portal within 2 weeks after your interview.

Does anyone know how financial aid would be impacted if you got off the waitlist?

Does anyone know how financial aid would be impacted if you got off the waitlist?

Aid is primarily need based so Stanford will probably give you a grant for COA-EFC. COA is calculated at about 93k/yr. I think the max grant is 80% tuition IIRC from the finaid talk.

Last edited:
Aid is primarily need based so Stanford will probably give you a grant for COA-EFC. COA is calculated at about 93k/yr. I think the max grant is 80% tuition IIRC from the finaid talk.
Okay! So most students who are low income tend to get good financial aid packages?

If it means anything, I met a couple of people at second look who seemed to be leaning towards other schools, with one confirmed having chosen another school already

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I was just hoping that there would be a WL movement because of the traffic rules, but that might be wishful thinking
Actually, IIRC someone on this thread posted about people being pulled off the WL earlier. Maybe you’re right. I guess we will see in the next couple of days, fingers crossed!

Withdrew yesterday! Hope one of you gets the spot!

Reactions: 3 users
For those anxious individuals on the waitlist: There is a survey in the accepted students group where so far 53 people have said they are coming in the fall. If you consider people who aren't in the facebook group and people who didn't vote for whatever reason, that means probably 20-30 students will be coming from the waitlist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For those anxious individuals on the waitlist: There is a survey in the accepted students group where so far 53 people have said they are coming in the fall. If you consider people who aren't in the facebook group and people who didn't vote for whatever reason, that means probably 20-30 students will be coming from the waitlist.
you're an angel!

I think this is overly optimistic. There are 9 Knight Hennessy Scholars in the class. They're not typically joiners of groups like FB, plus they are already committed. Additionally, there will be at least 12 MD/PhDs in the class. Again not usually participants in these fora. From Second Look, I knew that several were waiting on FA offers, many of which came very late in April. While there will be waitlist movement, I doubt it will be as high as 20. In the single digits, if it were my guess.

Actually it looks like all KH students are in the group and 5 voted on the poll. You could be right about MSTP though. I don't know, just trying to give some people some data to work with!

Actually it looks like all KH students are in the group and 5 voted on the poll. You could be right about MSTP though. I don't know, just trying to give some people some data to work with!
We appreciate you sharing that information! By any chance, did the poll stats change since you last posted?