2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: SUNY - Upstate Medical University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excited to apply to Upstate! Anyone going to that Friends of Upstate thing next week?

EDIT: Just spoke to the admissions office, they canceled it LOL

Last edited:
Just FYI, they require the CASPER now, according to the people I spoke on the phone with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, they require the CASPER now, according to the people I spoke on the phone with.
omg you're a life saver, they must have recently added it because I didn't see it when I signed up for my test 3 weeks ago.

how hard is it to get to upstate? do they have minimum gpa required ?

how hard is it to get to upstate? do they have minimum gpa required ?
I mean it's a good med school so it won't necessarily be easy to get into. I know plenty of NYS residents who've been rejected. I spoke with someone in the Admissions office recently and they told me that they look for like a ~3.6+ GPA and a 510+ MCAT when doing their initial screen. If you're lacking in one of those categories, they'll look at your activities to decide if they'll bring you in for an interview. Once you get an interview, obviously it's up to you to leave a good impression.

It was really nice knowing that an actual human being does the screening instead of a computer so I'm hoping for some good luck for all of us

Sorry. What does that mean?
CASPer is an online ethical scenario type exam required by 15ish medical schools. You have to sign up, make an account, schedule a test date, and pick which schools you want to send your score to (although you are never allowed to see what you get). As of this year, SUNY Upstate now requires CASPer.

CASPer is an online ethical scenario type exam required by 15ish medical schools. You have to sign up, make an account, schedule a test date, and pick which schools you want to send your score to (although you are never allowed to see what you get). As of this year, SUNY Upstate now requires CASPer.
Ok, thanks for that!

Hello, applicants!

I am a current MS2. Feel free to ask any questions.

when do you take it ? after you get accepted or while applying

Members don't see this ad :)
will they take low gpa like ~3.0 and good mcat, ny resident ?
I'm just a lowly MS2. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know specifics. As far as the "numbers" of your application, 3.0 GPA is on the lower side. A "good mcat" may counteract it, but it really depends on the specific score.

That being said, I do believe that there is a chance depending on your entire application. What I can tell you is that Upstate, along with many other medical schools, is placing more and more emphasis on clinical experience. Numbers are no longer a guaranteed in.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

also can u share the interview questions?
I'm sorry but I can't. The questions are confidential.

Plus, I think that would defeat the purpose of the MMI. (MMIs are actually kind of fun and not as stressful as other medical school interviews)

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I'm just a lowly MS2. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know specifics. As far as the "numbers" of your application, 3.0 GPA is on the lower side. A "good mcat" may counteract it, but it really depends on the specific score.

That being said, I do believe that there is a chance depending on your entire application. What I can tell you is that Upstate, along with many other medical schools, is placing more and more emphasis on clinical experience. Numbers are no longer a guaranteed in.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

thank you !

Secondary Received! Will update with questions when I get to them!

Has anyone in your family graduated from the College of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University? (1500 characters, name, program, year)

Please indicate the last MCAT exam you have taken and/or are you planning to take any upcoming MCAT exams and if so, when? Please remember that the deadline for completing your application is December 1. (Please note, answers have a 1500 character limit.)

Have you completed your baccalaureate degree? If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year: (Please note, answers have a 1500 character limit.)

If you haven't completed your baccalaureate degree yet, will you be doing so this academic year?

Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point? (Please note, answers have a 1500 character limit.)

Last edited:
It's funny, I know that I saw on the CASPER website that you have the option to send the score to SUNY "Syracuse", but nowhere in the application does it say anything about CASPER nor on SUNY Upstate's website. Am I missing something?

For the medical speciality interest question on the secondary, what are people doing?

I don't really have a speciality in mind that I am super interested in and was thinking about just writing a short piece about entering medical school with an open mind and keeping all of my options open until I see more? I could come up with one or two specialities based on my experiences, but I really don't feel confident talking about one or two specific specialities when in reality I have no clue lol.

For the medical speciality interest question on the secondary, what are people doing?

I don't really have a speciality in mind that I am super interested in and was thinking about just writing a short piece about entering medical school with an open mind and keeping all of my options open until I see more? I could come up with one or two specialities based on my experiences, but I really don't feel confident talking about one or two specific specialities when in reality I have no clue lol.
I have a specialty in mind with experiences but it seemed to be a more straightforward question so I answered it within 3-5 sentences or so. Ugh I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I didn’t have a specialty in mind, I def would advise against lying lol it’ll be easy to tell in interviews if they ask you about it so ... I would just tell the truth, I really don’t think they would just give you the axe bc you’re unsure of what specialty without even being in medical school.

I have a specialty in mind with experiences but it seemed to be a more straightforward question so I answered it within 3-5 sentences or so. Ugh I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I didn’t have a specialty in mind, I def would advise against lying lol it’ll be easy to tell in interviews if they ask you about it so ... I would just tell the truth, I really don’t think they would just give you the axe bc you’re unsure of what specialty without even being in medical school.

I certainly hope I don't get the axe! Lol, if anything medical schools should want an applicant to not be completely sure. Otherwise, whats the point of medical school?

I certainly hope I don't get the axe! Lol, if anything medical schools should want an applicant to not be completely sure. Otherwise, whats the point of medical school?
Exactly lmao which is why I think schools that ask these specialty questions are ridiculous because how can we answer the question with absolute certainty when in reality it likely will change once we’re actually exposed to a wide array of specialties?

do they send secondaries to everyone, how long does it take ( after u submit ur primary to get it )? If you dont mind how many qs are there and can u share them?

do they send secondaries to everyone, how long does it take ( after u submit ur primary to get it )? If you dont mind how many qs are there and can u share them?

I am not sure about a screen but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a super lenient one. I was verified and transmitted the first day and I got it just today.

The questions were posted earlier:

Has anyone in your family graduated from the College of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University? (1500 characters, name, program, year)

Please indicate the last MCAT exam you have taken and/or are you planning to take any upcoming MCAT exams and if so, when? Please remember that the deadline for completing your application is December 1. (Please note, answers have a 1500 character limit.)

Have you completed your baccalaureate degree? If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year: (Please note, answers have a 1500 character limit.)

If you haven't completed your baccalaureate degree yet, will you be doing so this academic year?

Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point? (Please note, answers have a 1500 character limit.)

I am currently an out of state student applying. Is there many out of state students in your class?

Yes, there is quite a few. If I'm not mistaken, either our class or the one behind us (COM 2022) added 10 more positions for OOS students.

To be honest, I don't think it really matters. No school, including Upstate, expects 100% of students to work in rural family med. If you are interested in working in a rural setting, I do believe you should write it though. It is a way for the Rural Medical Scholars Program to find potential students.
There's no need to lie, but also be conscious of what you write. For example, don't write ortho/neurosurg/plastics/____ just because of the salary, lifestyle, etc.
If it makes you feel any better, I wrote something like family med and neurology. I changed my mind before school even started and began doing research in a completely different field. haha. It is by no means binding.

... I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I didn’t have a specialty in mind, I def would advise against lying lol it’ll be easy to tell in interviews if they ask you about it so ...

You are completely right in the sense that you shouldn't lie. Just a clarification though, the MMIs are blind (the interviewers do not know your application).

How much are you guys writing for the specialty question?

I am not sure about a screen but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a super lenient one. I was verified and transmitted the first day and I got it just today.

The questions were posted earlier:

thanks so much

Anyone know how long it takes for CASPER scores to arrive? Submitted two days ago and it's still missing, yet says delivered on the CASPER website.

Anyone know how long it takes for CASPER scores to arrive? Submitted two days ago and it's still missing, yet says delivered on the CASPER website.
Same! Just got an email from Upstate that says it is missing. I guess there is a lag time between being sent and Upstate processing the scores? Not sure how long to wait before contacting them..

The CASPer website says that it takes ~3 weeks for the scores to be processed and sent.

The CASPer website says that it takes ~3 weeks for the scores to be processed and sent.
I think they meant to say they took it on June 20 and their results were sent to Upstate on July 11 yet Upstate still is marking their CASPER as not received. Because that's what happened to me lol

I talked to someone at UVM about that, she said sometimes it takes 48+ hours

Congrats! Did it take a while for your casper to be noticed by upstate? for some reason they aren't recognizing my casper even though I sent it 2 weeks ago...
Honestly not sure, I just checked my portal for the first time since applying and saw that I had an interview invite

II as well! Same thing, just checked the portal and it was there along with instructions for scheduling the interview. No email though which is weird??

Reactions: 1 users
II as well! Same thing, just checked the portal and it was there along with instructions for scheduling the interview. No email though which is weird??
Is the banner link we used to apply for the secondary where you check?

Is the banner link we used to apply for the secondary where you check?
Yeah you log into where you were given access to your secondary and underneath "Fall 2019" it currently says on mine:
Congratulations on being selected for an Interview!

Also II. Got an email with the invite. Lizzy 75.9. I am OOS