2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the max number of letter i can send as an MD applicatn?

Members don't see this ad.

The first date I saw was in October. Idk why September was completely skipped lol.
Aha I noticed that. Ended up doing an early Oct date since I'm thinking I'll hear back within 4-5 weeks from that date.

The first date I saw was in October. Idk why September was completely skipped lol.
I think all of the September dates are full so maybe that's why the October dates were the only visible ones? My Interview is in early September and there were plenty of dates available two weeks ago

Members don't see this ad :)
Aha I noticed that. Ended up doing an early Oct date since I'm thinking I'll hear back within 4-5 weeks from that date.

4-5 weeks is pretty accurate but it can be extended to upwards of 6-8 during peak interview season.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
First II this cycle! Finished the secondary 8/1, Received complete email 8/4, II 8/6. In state, Not a minority, LizzyM 70

how long did it normally take for those who got a complete email for your letter of recommendation to be uploaded on ur status?

To those who got IIs: did you receive them before getting the completed email? My app shows everything as loaded in but no complete email
I got the complete e-mail on July 31st then five days later, the II came. Really fast turnaround haha.

Did anyone not here back super quickly? I got the complete email on the 4th and am starting to worry

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll PM you @molly41

Edit: It says I cannot PM you lol and for keeping anonymity, I would prefer not to answer here but PM me

Last edited:
Lol these "Missing Items" emails keep stressing me the **** out (Yes, I know they are automated). I'm like "BLAME MY UG SCHOL and not me FOR NOT HAVING MY COMMITTEE LETTER SUBMITTED ALREADY."

Question, on the interview page it says
"Rather, you can use the wait list feature on the previous page to put yourself in line for an earlier date should a slot open up."
Does anyone know how to do that? I see no feature.

Did anyone else not receive a complete email? My letters of rec and Casper scores were in before I submitted my secondary application (on 7/30), and I can see that the payment has been processed on my credit card bill (but still no complete email!) Thoughts?

Does anyone know what "International Access:" field means on the secondary? it's in the "Current mailing address" section

II! Received an email. IS, LM 72-74. So excited!

Would it be better to submit my secondary ASAP or give it more time since my CASPER is pending?

Complete as of a couple of days ago, worried this is a little late? I'm IS and really hoping to II here was placed on pre-II hold last year.

Would it be better to submit my secondary ASAP or give it more time since my CASPER is pending?

Don't think it matters when you submit the secondary...I would just try to have it in before the day your CASper is sent. You'll only be considered complete when everything is sent to the school.

Also II today! Rural medical scholars program. LM ~68-69. Complete 8/18 (quite the turnaround)

Those with II, did you receive a complete email?
I did. I actually had to email the admissions office and ask about my casper score still not being attached to my app. Sent it in the beginning of july or something and still wasnt there in August. An adcom emailed me back directly telling me it was now attached and that my file was complete, then i got an automated complete email, and then II ~5 or so days later.

I know this has been asked before, but I want to make sure: I see that each of my four application components are in on the portal, yet I have not received a complete email. Does anyone know if I should wait for one or if everything marked as "received" means I am complete?

EDIT: Just received one!

Last edited:
Anyone know if August 28th CASPER will make a DOS for this school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone privy to the post-II acceptance rate here? Is Upstate a school that has a 50/50 ratio like most schools? The data seems to be missing from the USNWR table.

Anyone privy to the post-II acceptance rate here? Is Upstate a school that has a 50/50 ratio like most schools? The data seems to be missing from the USNWR table.

I don't think the 50/50 post-interview is true, my friend. On Upstate's website it does say they usually interview 750 out of ~4500 apps.

I don't think the 50/50 post-interview is true, my friend. On Upstate's website it does say they usually interview 750 out of ~4500 apps.
You're talking about II's in general. I'm talking about post-II acceptances.

I'm not sure but based on MSAR (looking only at IS since thats where most of the matriculants come from) they interview 600 and 130 matriculate, so I'm assuming they have to accept at least 260, given most schools accept double or more! So my guess would be anywhere between 45% and 60%

interviewed 778 matriculated 168, median MCAT of accepted 513, median MCAT of matriculated 510. I would guess at least 300 get accepted.

Woke up this morning to a nice little surprise in my inbox, II. My first one!!

Honestly very surprised and a bit skeptical considering I was only complete 5 days ago or so. LM ~72, OOS, ORM

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted by primary on the 24th, but have not yet received a secondary. Did it take very long for most of you to receive a secondary after initial submission of primaries?

interviewed 778 matriculated 168, median MCAT of accepted 513, median MCAT of matriculated 510. I would guess at least 300 get accepted.

Sorry if I wasn't clear -- this is what I meant. If their class matriculation is 168, I would doubt more than 350-375 were accepted of the 750 II. That's where I was coming from saying 50/50 is likely a tad too generous.

Woke up this morning to a nice little surprise in my inbox, II. My first one!!

Honestly very surprised and a bit skeptical considering I was only complete 5 days ago or so. LM ~72, OOS, ORM

I was complete 8/4 and got my II 8/6, I know the feeling! Congrats though!

I just checked the portal and it says I have been selected for an interview! However, I did not receive an email. Do these come later (I hope)?

Sorry if I wasn't clear -- this is what I meant. If their class matriculation is 168, I would doubt more than 350-375 were accepted of the 750 II. That's where I was coming from saying 50/50 is likely a tad too generous.

I think that to really guess the number of acceptances, one has to break it down by IS and OOS because Upstate is a state school and has an in-state preference/bias.

Based on MSAR, 609 interviews for IS applicants and 136 IS matriculated. For OOS, 111 interviewed and 25 matriculated. The yield rate is probably significantly higher for IS applicants compared to OOS applicants (higher stats for OOS, less of a connection to the state, etc), so my guess:

~300 acceptances for IS applicants to get 136 to matriculate. ~49% post-interview acceptance rate for IS, ~45% yield rate

~65 acceptances for OOS applicants to get 25 to matriculate. ~59% post-interview acceptance rate for OOS, ~38% yield rate

Now, if only USNews had reported numbers for us to confirm all of this with. As an OOS applicant (and future interviewee), I am hoping that Upstate follows the trend of many other state schools that accept OOS applicants (harsh interview rate, favorable post-interview acceptance rate). Not to mention, Upstate's FAQ mentions "keep in mind that medical schools can only accept about half of the people they interview," so I am guessing that the overall acceptance rate for IS and OOS is just over 50% (according to my numbers, calculated to 50.7%).

(I am just bored at work lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just checked the portal and it says I have been selected for an interview! However, I did not receive an email. Do these come later (I hope)?
I never received an email regarding my interview but when I called and told them that I saw my II on the portal they said that as long as I can schedule it on there that I should do so.

I never received an email regarding my interview but when I called and told them that I saw my II on the portal they said that as long as I can schedule it on there that I should do so.
Thank you! I am able to schedule it, so it looks like I am all set.

II today at 12!!! LEGOOO

Reactions: 2 users
For those that did their CASPer and got the complete email how long did it take?

Also did anybody else who wrote the CASPer on August 8th still not have their application portal updated with CASPer being received?