2018-2019 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have insight on the different on-campus housing options? In particular Avenues/Parnassus vs. Mission Bay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have insight on the different on-campus housing options? In particular Avenues/Parnassus vs. Mission Bay?

Mission Bay has a housing structure that is newly built with a bunch of apartments. It looks similar to dorms from the outside but are actually individual apartment units with a kitchen, living room, etc. It is on Mission bay campus. Avenues/Parnassus housing is essentially apartments/houses around Parnassus campus that UCSF bought and now use as student housing.

Since most of our classes are at Parnassus, if you live at Mission Bay, you will likely have about a 40 minute shuttle ride in the morning. Parnassus housing is a less than 10 minute walk to Parnassus campus.

Also depends on what kind of vibe you like to live around. Parnassus feels more suburban and have a lot of families live in that area. The Mission Bay area has more of the new tech money vibe since there are a lot of new apartment buildings around that area as well. Parnassus is close to Irving street, which has a lot of food options and is several streets from golden gate park. Mission Bay is slightly closer to downtown, and also Chase Center will be opening up in the next year, so the Mission Bay area is going to get more lively, especially on game days.

Reactions: 1 user
Mission Bay has a housing structure that is newly built with a bunch of apartments. It looks similar to dorms from the outside but are actually individual apartment units with a kitchen, living room, etc. It is on Mission bay campus. Avenues/Parnassus housing is essentially apartments/houses around Parnassus campus that UCSF bought and now use as student housing.

Since most of our classes are at Parnassus, if you live at Mission Bay, you will likely have about a 40 minute shuttle ride in the morning. Parnassus housing is a less than 10 minute walk to Parnassus campus.

Also depends on what kind of vibe you like to live around. Parnassus feels more suburban and have a lot of families live in that area. The Mission Bay area has more of the new tech money vibe since there are a lot of new apartment buildings around that area as well. Parnassus is close to Irving street, which has a lot of food options and is several streets from golden gate park. Mission Bay is slightly closer to downtown, and also Chase Center will be opening up in the next year, so the Mission Bay area is going to get more lively, especially on game days.

Generally you get more bang for your buck at Mission Bay, which is a trade-off given the inconvenience of shuttling. That being said, living at MB may be more convenient in 3rd/4th years, depending on where you do your rotations.

Aldea housing also generally requires shuttles, as it’s up on Mt. Sutro, but is closer distance-wise.

Reactions: 1 user
I mentioned this in a private message - but for students newly accepted, I'd be aware that July/August/possibly September move-ins have probably been assigned already, given that it's already June. When I was assigned a July move-in, I got my spot in April. If you are willing to move in a little later, spots will open up, but I'd think the odds are that you won't be able to get a room prior to orientation.