2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone finding the system increasingly glitchy? I swear my responses are <750 characters and they're getting bumped out.

Anyone finding the system increasingly glitchy? I swear my responses are <750 characters and they're getting bumped out.

I just went ahead and copied half of each essay and typed in the rest and it turned out fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Came here to say this same thing. Tried copying and pasting bits at a time and not having success with that either.

+1, have tried re-typing in the box and hitting the character limit earlier than it should be.
Our programmers created a new site for this application year. Right now they are actively researching and repairing this problem. There seems to be a difficulty with the pasted text if it is coming from Word or another similar program as sometimes it will have hidden characters depending on the formatting. We have posted a system announcement that you should see upon your next login indicating that tech is aware of the problem. We will provide another system announcement that you will see in a future login when the item has been repaired.

Our programmers created a new site for this application year. Right now they are actively researching and repairing this problem. There seems to be a difficulty with the pasted text if it is coming from Word or another similar program as sometimes it will have hidden characters depending on the formatting. We have posted a system announcement that you should see upon your next login indicating that tech is aware of the problem. We will provide another system announcement that you will see in a future login when the item has been repaired.

Thank you so much!! Everything is working great now and I will be able to submit! Greatly appreciate the help and information.

Converting to plain text fixed the issue for all essays except the one asking about connections to Florida/UCF if you're not a Fl resident. Looks like they have a system update tonight at 10, maybe that will fix the glitch.

Pretty frustrated as it's now been over two weeks since I've received the secondary and I can't submit because of this..

Converting to plain text fixed the issue for all essays except the one asking about connections to Florida/UCF if you're not a Fl resident. Looks like they have a system update tonight at 10, maybe that will fix the glitch.

Pretty frustrated as it's now been over two weeks since I've received the secondary and I can't submit because of this..
I typed all of my responses in Google Docs. All character counts worked perfectly for me on the secondary. The only essay I used word for was the last essay that requires specific margins, font, etc. So, maybe try google docs? It might help.

I typed all of my responses in Google Docs. All character counts worked perfectly for me on the secondary. The only essay I used word for was the last essay that requires specific margins, font, etc. So, maybe try google docs? It might help.
I use google docs for everything haha, that's not working for me either. idk. I guess I'll send them an email

Does anyone else's status in their portal still say N/A? It's starting to worry me, but I don't want to annoy the admissions office by emailing about it if they're just not caught up yet. For reference, I submitted all of my materials the first week of July. Thanks!

@REL How much of a problem would it be if I were to leave the "connection to Florida" essay blank, I dont have any direct connection to the school or any family living in Florida. Im just hoping thats not a death sentence

Members don't see this ad :)
@REL How much of a problem would it be if I were to leave the "connection to Florida" essay blank, I dont have any direct connection to the school or any family living in Florida. Im just hoping thats not a death sentence
I put N/A so I hope it's not a death sentence.

The only connection I have to Florida is my family owns property there but none of them live there. That and vacations spent there. I don't think adcoms really cared about either of those.

Does anyone else's status in their portal still say N/A? It's starting to worry me, but I don't want to annoy the admissions office by emailing about it if they're just not caught up yet. For reference, I submitted all of my materials the first week of July. Thanks!
Mine does, also submitted then. I wouldn't start worrying. It's still mid-July, lol.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the character count requirements are including, or not including spaces? In some of my other applications they make this distinction.

Thanks!

In theory the programmers say that there is no real limit in the text boxes. I am meeting with the programmers tomorrow to express the difficulties many are having. It is early in the process so no need to get frustrated. I will also see about the Florida resident text box. They rewrote the entire system over the summer and they are good at keeping things running. Hang in there.

All that being said, there are several who have been able to complete so some programs are working and some are not. All who are having problems should email [email protected] and identify your operating system and word processing system and it may help.

Reactions: 1 users
In theory the programmers say that there is no real limit in the text boxes. I am meeting with the programmers tomorrow to express the difficulties many are having. It is early in the process so no need to get frustrated. I will also see about the Florida resident text box. They rewrote the entire system over the summer and they are good at keeping things running. Hang in there.

All that being said, there are several who have been able to complete so some programs are working and some are not. All who are having problems should email [email protected] and identify your operating system and word processing system and it may help.

IS ANY OF THIS STILL A PROBLEM FOR ANYONE?

I AM LED TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS FIXED.

IF THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE PLEASE CONTACT US AT [email protected] AND PROVIDE DETAILS OF BROWSER AND WORD PROCESSING SYSTEM BEING USED.

IS ANY OF THIS STILL A PROBLEM FOR ANYONE?

I AM LED TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS FIXED.

IF THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE PLEASE CONTACT US AT [email protected] AND PROVIDE DETAILS OF BROWSER AND WORD PROCESSING SYSTEM BEING USED.

Thank you! is the 15 day review period between members of the AdCOM an over or underestimate in terms of approval time?

Thank you! is the 15 day review period between members of the AdCOM an over or underestimate in terms of approval time?
The review period is 10-15 business days, and because we were slow on getting applicants completed, the review teams got them later. I would say that we are about ?10? business days from beginning to get the returns. I would guesstimate that offers for interviews would probably begin to go out somewhere during the middle 10 days of August. I hope that this answers the question.

Our initial interview date is Friday, September 7, and we prefer to offer those dates about 3 weeks in advance if possible.

Unfortunately its been 2 weeks and a few days that I still haven't submitted my secondary. Should I try to submit it soon or have my chances gone down? OOS, ORM, 3.94c/3.92s, 514

edit: I think I could put together a decent one. This secondary is kind of long though, so I wasn't able to get it finished sooner.

When listing online coursework, should we list courses like this:

TST, UF, CHM1025, Intro to Chemistry, 2.0; ALL, UCF, BIOL101, General Biology 1, 3.0; Etc.

Or like this:

TST, UF, CHM1025, Intro to Chemistry, 2.0
ALL, UCF, BIOL101, General Biology 1, 3.0
Etc.

Also, when separating members in the list should we use "," or ";"?

Thanks!

TST, UF, CHM1025, Intro to Chemistry, 2.0; ALL, UCF, BIOL101, General Biology 1, 3.0; Etc.

Or like this:

Etc.

Thanks!
Bruh, you're thinking about it too much lol. I did it the latter because it looks cleaner but I'm sure as long as the classes are there, it doesn't matter haha

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

what if I don't have any connection? do I leave it blank?

Unfortunately its been 2 weeks and a few days that I still haven't submitted my secondary. Should I try to submit it soon or have my chances gone down? OOS, ORM, 3.94c/3.92s, 514

edit: I think I could put together a decent one. This secondary is kind of long though, so I wasn't able to get it finished sooner.

This should not be a problem, competitive applications that are submitted in December seem to get interviews and acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users

Or like this:

Etc.

Thanks!
Example 2 is the easiest to read, so do it that way please.

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

what if I don't have any connection? do I leave it blank?
You can leave it blank, or maybe briefly describe why you applied to our program.

My LOR were sent to AMCAS two weeks ago, but I've been on information hold for almost two weeks now. Should I contact admissions?

Yeah I have all the required items sent in, and I'm also still on information hold. Does it need to just be manually updated?

My LOR were sent to AMCAS two weeks ago, but I've been on information hold for almost two weeks now. Should I contact admissions?
What do you mean by "information hold"? Mine says:
"My Current Overall Application Status:
LOR 0/0
Supplemental complete, awaiting LORs"
but my LORs were sent a week ago and have been received by almost every other school I've applied to

Edit: They do say "A completed Supplemental Application Package (SAP) will signal the Admissions Office to check AMCAS to determine if all required Letters of Recommendation have been received. This is a manual process and could take up to 5 business days." I'll give it a day or two before calling

Edit #2: 7/24/18. Received an email that my letters have been received and my application is complete.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "information hold"? Mine says:
"My Current Overall Application Status:
LOR 0/0
Supplemental complete, awaiting LORs"
but my LORs were sent a week ago and have been received by almost every other school I've applied to

Edit: They do say "A completed Supplemental Application Package (SAP) will signal the Admissions Office to check AMCAS to determine if all required Letters of Recommendation have been received. This is a manual process and could take up to 5 business days." I'll give it a day or two before calling

The office is finally back to full strength and should have all LOR's up to date in a day or two more. Reviews are just starting too so nothing is lost in the way of time. The reviews will determine who is interviewed, not first in.

Reactions: 3 users
The office is finally back to full strength and should have all LOR's up to date in a day or two more. Reviews are just starting too so nothing is lost in the way of time. The reviews will determine who is interviewed, not first in.

Will we know if our letters of rec fit the bill by receiving EFI or earlier when our application is marked complete?

Do students live in downtown Orlando much or do most of them live in Lake Nona?

Do students live in downtown Orlando much or do most of them live in Lake Nona?
It is about a 30-40 minute commute between downtown and Lake Nona, some days good, some days not so much depending upon time and direction. During M1-M2 years best to live near Nona, after that it may depend upon your rotation locations and priorities. I will tell you that the Lake Nona area will morph into something grand during the timeframe of your M1-M2 enrollment.

@REL I had a quick question on the secondary. For the academic hardship and the what will you be doing if not in an academic program question it seems to be only a 500 character limit, but someone posting the secondary said it was a 2000 character limit. Am I just not seeing something that states 2000 characters? I have written the responses for the increased character limit so that I could fully explain myself.

For peer letters, what address should I put on AMCAS if they are not comfortable putting their own address? We went to the same school, so can I put the university address?

For peer letters, what address should I put on AMCAS if they are not comfortable putting their own address? We went to the same school, so can I put the university address?
Authors must provide a means to contact them if we choose to do so and an email address or phone number will satisfy.

It is about a 30-40 minute commute between downtown and Lake Nona, some days good, some days not so much depending upon time and direction. During M1-M2 years best to live near Nona, after that it may depend upon your rotation locations and priorities. I will tell you that the Lake Nona area will morph into something grand during the timeframe of your M1-M2 enrollment.
@REL I had a quick question on the secondary. For the academic hardship and the what will you be doing if not in an academic program question it seems to be only a 500 character limit, but someone posting the secondary said it was a 2000 character limit. Am I just not seeing something that states 2000 characters? I have written the responses for the increased character limit so that I could fully explain myself.

Preferably a good strong paragraph or two should do it. I believe the comment was that the instruction is 500 characters, and the comment was that the box will actually accommodate more than the 500, maybe up to 2k. But remember that concise writing is one the main interests that we have...not looking for a novel here.

@REL Are there specific things that constitute a character letter? I submitted a committee letter and two rec letters from physicians i scribe for. My portal says "Upon review of AMCAS we appear to have 3 faculty/0 character letter. We are missing 2 character letter to complete your file." Would this be because the two letters do not constitute character letters??

@REL Are there specific things that constitute a character letter? I submitted a committee letter and two rec letters from physicians i scribe for. My portal says "Upon review of AMCAS we appear to have 3 faculty/0 character letter. We are missing 2 character letter to complete your file." Would this be because the two letters do not constitute character letters??
Call or email the admissions office. I had the same thing happen with my letters. I saw 1 faculty/2 character letters received in my portal. I was told my committee letter appeared in the system as a single professor letter. The employee I spoke with fixed this within an hour of me contacting their office.

Normally these would be ideal character letters. Email/call us and we can look at it.