2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
EFI=eligilbe fore interview. The alternative is "not competitive for interview". Once you complete your secondary, you will get an email that explains what it is. Here's what it says basically:

"EFI," Eligible for Interview Selection Status means your file will be reviewed on a weekly basis as interview groups are constructed throughout the September-March interview season. We will continuously review the EFI pool of applicants and construct interview groups of 12-17 applicants. Once constructed, the Admissions Office will contact each member via telephone/email to negotiate a date for their interview visit. Normally, those we invite to interview will have at least 3 weeks advance notice. Once we have come to an agreement on the date of the interview visit, we will send you an interview confirmation EMAIL that will provide an agenda, directions, and overnight hotel or student home-stay information. It should be noted that the EFI pool will become large and not all will receive an interview invitation.

Reactions: 1 users
@Snickerdoodle1996 what is EFI? lol sorry if thats a dumb question
Pretty much means you meet their MINIMUM requirements, nothing special. I believe that if you have above a 3.0 GPA, 500 MCAT, and proper LORs then you'll get EFI. Just their way of filtering out those that aren't competitive enough academically or didn't follow the LOR rules. *re-applicant here*

I sent all 5 of my letters through AMCAS at the same time, but the portal is showing that I am still missing a letter. Does this mean I just need to wait longer for the last one to get uploaded or indicating that they aren't considering my last letter a character letter?

It means that we either did not properly categorize your letters or maybe one of your authors did not sign their letter. In either case contact the admissions office to determine the answer.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted mine on the 10th and it still says it's being reviewed...I'm IS and meet their requirements, has anyone else been under review for a really long time??

I submitted mine on the 10th and it still says it's being reviewed...I'm IS and meet their requirements, has anyone else been under review for a really long time??
One of the ADCOMs earlier in the thread said the committee just met this week for the first time. They said they'll start sending out IIs middle of august

How are you all addressing the questions about what breakthroughs in medicine you would like to see?

How are you all addressing the questions about what breakthroughs in medicine you would like to see?
I tied it to personal things I witnessed in medicine. I'm sure you've seen things in medicine that you wished could be treated or cured

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my primary application into the school on July 23rd and meet all the minimum requirements, how long should it take to receive a secondary?

I tied it to personal things I witnessed in medicine. I'm sure you've seen things in medicine that you wished could be treated or cured
Yes I absolutely have a couple ideas of things I have had personally happen in my family. I was just conflicted because they don't necessarily align with the field I want to work in, so I wasn't sure if they would frown upon that

Yes I absolutely have a couple ideas of things I have had personally happen in my family. I was just conflicted because they don't necessarily align with the field I want to work in, so I wasn't sure if they would frown upon that
Like 65% of students change their field they're interested in after going to medical school. Med schools don't really care what field your interested in when applying. You can only truly decide after rotations. I say as long as your answer is personal and you have a good justification/explanation on why you want to see a breakthrough, i'm sure you'll be fine :)

Last edited:

Mine was completely opposite (I talked about geriatrics when I want to do peds), but I work in the ED where we see a lot of elderly so I was completely honest with my response + experiences!

Status changed to "AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION" today

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received!

If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time. Otherwise write N/A. (2000 char)

@gyngyn @Lucca

Where did you get "2000 char" from? It says "500 char" on mine. I must be looking at it wrong

It says 'Responses should be limited to a maximum of 500 characters for each response."

Where did you get "2000 char" from? It says "500 char" on mine. I must be looking at it wrong

It says 'Responses should be limited to a maximum of 500 characters for each response."
I have already submitted so I can't double check where I got it wrong. I can only see the completed secondary in pdf form. Character requirements may have changed. I submitted this secondary almost immediately when I received it so it has been a while since I last saw what it looked like.

I have already submitted so I can't double check where I got it wrong. I can only see the completed secondary in pdf form. Character requirements may have changed. I submitted this secondary almost immediately when I received it so it has been a while since I last saw what it looked like.
Thank you.

Can anyone else confirm that this prompt should be 500 char instead of 2000 char? I pre-wrote it for 2000 char but it looks like its 500

Thank you.

Can anyone else confirm that this prompt should be 500 char instead of 2000 char? I pre-wrote it for 2000 char but it looks like its 500
I'm pretty sure it was 2000 characters. My response was definitely over 500 when I submitted, but that was a while ago.

I'm pretty sure it was 2000 characters. My response was definitely over 500 when I submitted, but that was a while ago.
Weird. Why am I seeing that it is 500 char instead of 2000....

I edited that first secondary post for future applicants so that won't happen to anyone else. Sorry it got changed on you bud.

I edited that first secondary post for future applicants so that won't happen to anyone else. Sorry it got changed on you bud.
No worries! I appreciate you posting it :)

EFI, but no clue when that happened. I checked it for the first time since I submitted (which was early July)

Where do you find your status? When I login, all I see is my completed application.

Where do you find your status? When I login, all I see is my completed application.

I just think yours probably isn't updated/ hasn't been reviewed yet. It's very obviously in bold letters. When did you submit?

I just think yours probably isn't updated/ hasn't been reviewed yet. It's very obviously in bold letters. When did you submit?

I submitted at least two weeks ago. Maybe a little more. But my last lor wasn’t submitted until July 23.

So it's 5 letter OR 3 letters if you're a traditional applicant with a committee letter...right? This thread is freaking me out lol.

Directly from the website:
Other Requirements

Letters of Recommendation are required for most M.D. Programs. The UCF MD program requires the following letters to complete a file:
  • Traditional Applicant – an applicant who will be entering the M.D. program directly from a bachelor’s degree program with less than a one year break:
    • three individual faculty letters – two letters from basic science faculty, and one from a non-science faculty member, or one Pre-Med/Pre-Professional Composite Committee Letter
    • two character letters – these letters should be from those who can tell us about “who” you are. Authors may be those who have been your supervisor, friend, neighbor, someone you have volunteered with or shadowed, someone from an organization or club that you belong to, clergy, etc. One of these two letters may be from an academic peer.
  • Non-Traditional Applicant – an applicant where at least one year has passed since obtaining the initial bachelor’s degree. This applicant may have completed additional academics possibly leading to another degree, or may have been away from academics for several years:
    • supervisor letters for the three faculty letters
    • two characters letters that would be the same needed for Traditional Applicants.

Did everyone who had their status changed to EFI also say "aorta" or did people get different words? I'm wondering if it means anything.

Changed to "AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION" this morning!

when do you estimate the first round of II will go out?
I anticipate that we will begin to offer interviews starting about the middle of next week.

We generally want to give 3 weeks notice on an invitation and our initial interview day will be the first Friday in September.

Reactions: 3 users
Would it be best for me to leave the ties to Florida question blank as an OOS applicant from CA? I dont really want to make a stretch connection if there isnt one.

EFI today. Not sure when exactly it changed. Fingers crossed!

Just a quick question. Has anyone been able to get an interview with 4 letters of rec? Im a traditional applicant and have the 2 science letters and 2 character letters but is 5 a hard requirement?