2018-2019 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i still havent gotten the required docs email but it seems to have been already sent out yesterday?? all i got was a second look feedback email :|

I got the Next Steps email yesterday but didn't see it until today because it was sent to spam somehow. Maybe the same happened to yours!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! Trying to decide between UC and a school in DC. UC is definitely my favorite school but DC has its draws. Can anyone speak to what its like to live in Cincy and what student life outside of class looks like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew! Good luck to those on the waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who already purchased the CastleBranch account, when is the earliest deadline/what is it for?
The earlier deadline was on 4/26 so def get the account set up ASAP. By the way, does anyone know when we need to get the drug test...is it fine as long as it's before school start?

Last edited:
When is this drug screen due for castle branch stuff?

The earlier deadline was on 4/26 so def get the account set up ASAP. By the way, does anyone know when we need to get the drug test...is it fine as long as it's before school start?
Thanks! Do you know what was the deadline for? I was waiting for April 30th to purchase it.

Last edited:
?? they have a deadline for before PTE/CTE ?? i am not made of money pls cincy have mercy. also anyone know when the CTE deadline is for cincy?

Just withdrew my app. UC is an amazing place and this was a hard one. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 users
When is cinci’s deadline for “commit to enroll”

I feel like UCCOM could do a better job communicating due dates. I'm confused as to the due dates of the drug test and
Thanks! Do you know what was the deadline for? I was waiting for April 30th to purchase it.
Just a bunch of "click if you read this" kind of stuff not sure how important it is to get them done by deadline though.. I feel like UCCOM could do a better job communicating deadlines and requirements; I am still confused about when the drug test and some of the vaccinations are due since CB is wordy and may have some non-updated dates.

I feel like UCCOM could do a better job communicating due dates. I'm confused as to the due dates of the drug test and

Just a bunch of "click if you read this" kind of stuff not sure how important it is to get them done by deadline though.. I feel like UCCOM could do a better job communicating deadlines and requirements; I am still confused about when the drug test and some of the vaccinations are due since CB is wordy and may have some non-updated dates.
I just finally paid for the thing and it looks like it is due 06/07/19 going by:

>10. Pre-matriculation Drug Test Acknowledgement

I agree with you, though, the messages about deadlines are so ominous. Communication could certainly be improved.

As people get in off the waitlist if you have questions about the school or need help with the decision feel free to reach out! Current M2 here, compared several schools before deciding on UC

Members don't see this ad :)
Did most of you on the waitlist send a letter of intent or update?

do you think admin will be forgiving if we cannot get these immunizations until past the deadline due to logistics with work etc.?

do you think admin will be forgiving if we cannot get these immunizations until past the deadline due to logistics with work etc.?
From my experience, early communication is key. I'd go ahead and email admissions as soon as you know of any complications

Can someone please explain/list the deadlines for the castlebranch stuff? I cannot see the deadlines without paying the $190, which I cannot pay at the moment. Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know if waitlist movement has started? Around this time last year it looked like things began to move, but with the AAMC changes, maybe it won't happen until June?

Does anyone have any experience with getting a deferral here?

Does anyone know if scholarships (merit, diversity, or otherwise) are still being offered post-confirmation day? Wondering if any $$ became available once final confirmations were made.

Can someone please explain/list the deadlines for the castlebranch stuff? I cannot see the deadlines without paying the $190, which I cannot pay at the moment. Thank you in advance!

The deadlines are spread out over May and June, but they are not like “binding” and they will not fault you for getting things in a tich late :) just do what you can and make sure everything is in before starting classes and you’re Gucci :)

Does anyone know if scholarships (merit, diversity, or otherwise) are still being offered post-confirmation day? Wondering if any $$ became available once final confirmations were made.

Yes, there are scholarships that are offered for merit before matriculation and need based are handed out during the first couple weeks of the school year. They are pretty rare, but they do happen. Best of luck!!

anybody hear about any waitlist movement?

Sorry, I haven’t heard of anything. I do know that they had like massive amounts of applications this year, and they actually cancelled interview dates at the end of the season because they had already filled the class and the waitlist. That being said, if you made the waitlist, you’re already half way there. From talking with admissions, there’s usually 1-50 people taken off the list, depending on the year. Hope this helps!

Hey Accepted student, anyone out there holding acceptances at other Ohio schools, just wondering how much the pool of ohio students fairs at other institutions.

"We hope this email finds you well and we are grateful for your continued interest in Cincinnati Medicine!
We wanted to reach-out to you to give you an update on your candidacy and let you know about a few major reasons that this application cycle has been a bit different than those of prior years. Specifically, due to the changes made to the AAMC traffic protocols and the Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) tool, medical schools across the country are being challenged in regard to monitoring applicant decisions. We find ourselves blindly navigating a process that we had previously been intimately involved in. Moreover, we have found that many applicants are confused without explicit guidance from the medical schools. Together, this has resulted in a much slower process of attrition and a significantly delay in offers from our Alternate List.
Typically, by this time in the summer we would have made a few offers from our Alternate List. However, that is not the case for this year. Due to the challenges with the new traffic protocols and the CYMS tool, there is a serious lag in processes and our timeline has been pushed back.
We want you to know that we still hope to have the opportunity to make offers from our alternate list, but due to the reasons mentioned above, we don’t expect to do this for a few more weeks.
We sincerely appreciate your patience as a part of this process and we empathize with you as you navigate this newly complicated process. We value your time and understand that tolerating the unknown is difficult. Please know that we are eager to finalize our class and we will be in touch (first via phone and then via email) should we find ourselves in a place to make an offer of acceptance to you in the near future."

Seven weeks after May 1, they email us this. Not only that, we have to wait a few more weeks. I'm sorry but if I'm expected to get my financial aid, lease, etc all in order supposedly about a month before classes start then I will rip my hair out. The new cycle started three whole weeks ago. What about all of the people who already spend thousands on the next cycle only to be told this? I am so disheartened and frustrated. I hope Cinci learns from this one, and I am still very hopeful to hear from them.

EDIT: How does OSU, a school 100 miles up the road in the same state not have the same issues?

"We hope this email finds you well and we are grateful for your continued interest in Cincinnati Medicine!
We wanted to reach-out to you to give you an update on your candidacy and let you know about a few major reasons that this application cycle has been a bit different than those of prior years. Specifically, due to the changes made to the AAMC traffic protocols and the Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) tool, medical schools across the country are being challenged in regard to monitoring applicant decisions. We find ourselves blindly navigating a process that we had previously been intimately involved in. Moreover, we have found that many applicants are confused without explicit guidance from the medical schools. Together, this has resulted in a much slower process of attrition and a significantly delay in offers from our Alternate List.
Typically, by this time in the summer we would have made a few offers from our Alternate List. However, that is not the case for this year. Due to the challenges with the new traffic protocols and the CYMS tool, there is a serious lag in processes and our timeline has been pushed back.
We want you to know that we still hope to have the opportunity to make offers from our alternate list, but due to the reasons mentioned above, we don’t expect to do this for a few more weeks.
We sincerely appreciate your patience as a part of this process and we empathize with you as you navigate this newly complicated process. We value your time and understand that tolerating the unknown is difficult. Please know that we are eager to finalize our class and we will be in touch (first via phone and then via email) should we find ourselves in a place to make an offer of acceptance to you in the near future."

Seven weeks after May 1, they email us this. Not only that, we have to wait a few more weeks. I'm sorry but if I'm expected to get my financial aid, lease, etc all in order supposedly about a month before classes start then I will rip my hair out. The new cycle started three whole weeks ago. What about all of the people who already spend thousands on the next cycle only to be told this? I am so disheartened and frustrated. I hope Cinci learns from this one, and I am still very hopeful to hear from them.

EDIT: How does OSU, a school 100 miles up the road in the same state not have the same issues?
I sympathize but am not sure I would blame UC. AAMC seems to have flubbed in their roll out of the new rules, plan/commit options.

I sympathize but am not sure I would blame UC. AAMC seems to have flubbed in their roll out of the new rules, plan/commit options.
I'm not necessarily blaming them I guess, and I don't know how difficult it is behind the scenes. I do however know plenty of other schools have not had as many issues as UC. Ultimately though you're right, AAMC really missed the ball with it.

I'm not necessarily blaming them I guess, and I don't know how difficult it is behind the scenes. I do however know plenty of other schools have not had as many issues as UC. Ultimately though you're right, AAMC really missed the ball with it.

Yeah, I feel like some schools have set their CTE deadlines much earlier than they have had their classes set in years past. Anyone know when UC’s is/was?

Admissions said July 15. Is that not for CTE?

Where did you see that? This is the only thing I can find.

>NOTE: The University of Cincinnati DOES NOT require any specific action related to the AAMC Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) Tool. Instead, we ask that you comply with the AAMC Traffic Rules. That means that you should proactively withdraw from all Acceptances except one by 5/1/19 (by emailing the schools themselves to withdraw) and maintain only one offer at a time thereafter.

>NOTE: The University of Cincinnati DOES NOT require any specific action related to the AAMC Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) Tool. Instead, we ask that you comply with the AAMC Traffic Rules. That means that you should proactively withdraw from all Acceptances except one by 5/1/19 (by emailing the schools themselves to withdraw) and maintain only one offer at a time thereafter.
I think its just you confirm with them, my b.

So it looks like UC is essentially sitting out the CTE/PTE options given by the AAMC this year. I can’t blame them given how uncoordinated and murky it all appears to be, at least from an applicant’s perspective. Not fun to be in a guinea pig year..wonder what next cycle will be like