2018-2019 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students know when we need to submit college transcripts to UC? And do immunization requirements need to be done before the start of class?

I had a TB test and I think one more immunization to be done when I showed up for orientation. I just hauled ass to student health that afternoon and it was fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Btw received email with "estimated" financial aid for anyone wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
My parent makes half the poverty line and we had no need based... really confused on their criteria

My parent makes half the poverty line and we had no need based... really confused on their criteria

My parent does okay but an "Estimated Parent Contribution" that is 50% of her post-tax income is a little absurd, especially with another kid in college. The relatively low tuition at Cincy compared to private schools is essentially negated by the poor financial aid. Unfortunately, the maximum need-based scholarship is only $6k/year according to the financial aid website :(

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I was really surprised to see $0 in need based loans or scholarships. But I went on the website under "type of aid" and it says students who receive need based aid are notified in the summer.

So I think everyone has $0 in need based aid for now but that may change. Kind of stupid in my opinion to delay giving out this information but maybe the are waiting to see who will commit to other schools before divvying up their funds.

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine | Medical Student Financial Services - Types of Aid - ..WB1PRD02W-med.uc.edu

Yeah I was really surprised to see $0 in need based loans or scholarships. But I went on the website under "type of aid" and it says students who receive need based aid are notified in the summer.

So I think everyone has $0 in need based aid for now but that may change. Kind of stupid in my opinion to delay giving out this information but maybe the are waiting to see who will commit to other schools before divvying up their funds.

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine | Medical Student Financial Services - Types of Aid - ..WB1PRD02W-med.uc.edu

I have no clue how it works and how much an "estimated" letter can change (maybe current students know more about this) but I did receive a tiny amount of need based on mine.

Hey all! I had a favor to ask-- could a current student could comment on the day-to-day schedule for the M1/M2 years? Are classes or required activities generally scheduled at a specific time (e.g. mornings, afternoons)? How much "free" time do students have for study/shadowing/activities, and how is it distributed throughout the day and week? If I'm missing where this is laid out on the website, I apologize for the oversight. Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone who is an Ohio resident / HS graduate but went out of state for undergrad get charged out of state tuition in the estimated award letter? I assume this is because I went to college out of state and need to reapply this summer as a Forever Buckeye to reestablish Ohio residency but I assumed they would've taken this into account for the estimated aid.

Did anyone who is an Ohio resident / HS graduate but went out of state for undergrad get charged out of state tuition in the estimated award letter? I assume this is because I went to college out of state and need to reapply this summer as a Forever Buckeye to reestablish Ohio residency but I assumed they would've taken this into account for the estimated aid.
I am not an Ohio resident and was given an in-state tuition estimate so idk what's up with that

Hey all! I had a favor to ask-- could a current student could comment on the day-to-day schedule for the M1/M2 years? Are classes or required activities generally scheduled at a specific time (e.g. mornings, afternoons)? How much "free" time do students have for study/shadowing/activities, and how is it distributed throughout the day and week? If I'm missing where this is laid out on the website, I apologize for the oversight. Thanks so much!

Hello! It sometimes varies based on the week, but here's an example week that's pretty representative of your first year.

Monday: Class 8-12 (optional, all recorded and posted online with slides and audio) [*every Monday first semester and every other Monday from then on is an exam with the rest of the day off)
Tuesday: Class 8-12 (same as above); Clinical Skills (standardized patient with small groups) 2-3
Wednesday: Mandatory patient presentation 8-10; class 10-12 (optional); Learning Community 3-5
Thursday: Gross Anatomy lab 8-11; class 11-12 (optional); Longitudinal Primary Care Clerkship 1-5 every other week
Friday: Class 8-12 (optional, all recorded and posted online with slides and audio)

The rest of the time you have off to study, shadow, volunteer, have meetings, go to tutoring, etc! Does that help? The schedule varies based on block, but generally class is 8-12 with afternoon activities 1-3 times per week in the afternoon.

My estimated letter indicated that I received $6k in need-based aid from the school. They're definitely a bit stingy with aid imo, but I think they'll tell you now if you're going to receive any need-based money from them or not.

ugh yes that happened to me
this is what i found on website

Ohio high school graduates who have left Ohio but who return to enroll in an Ohio public institution of higher education can receive in-state tuition under the Forever Buckeye program. Further information is available on UC's Registrar website by clicking on "Residency & Reciprocity". Ohio residents who leave Ohio to attend undergraduate college in another state should submit the Ohio Residency Application even if they return to Ohio immediately after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm an Ohio resident/HS grad who went to college OOS and am also currently working OOS. I got IS tuition on my estimated aid, but I also put my Ohio address as my permanent address on my AMCAS and secondary apps. Not sure that's how they determine IS or OOS residency status.

Withdrew acceptance, hope it'll help one of y'all!

Reactions: 5 users
Just as a message of hope to everyone who is waiting--I got in off the waitlist on the Wednesday after Memorial Day, so there's still a lot of hope! A lot of my classmates were admitted off the waitlist, too. Be strong!

Just as a message of hope to everyone who is waiting--I got in off the waitlist on the Wednesday after Memorial Day, so there's still a lot of hope! A lot of my classmates were admitted off the waitlist, too. Be strong!
Thanks! That's reassuring. Which tier of waitlist do you know that people have been admitted from? Any tier 3's?
Also, nice profile pic. Just had some this morning lol.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck everyone on the WL!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! That's reassuring. Which tier of waitlist do you know that people have been admitted from? Any tier 3's?
Also, nice profile pic. Just had some this morning lol.

I really don't remember about tiers, but I'm sure I was tier 2 or 3, because it was a total shock when I got in.

Does anyone know when the deadline to select "Commit to Enroll" on AMCAS is for Cincinnati? Looked all around but couldn't find anything.

Withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Current M2, AMA! I'll be as honest as possible. Feel free to inbox me too

Does UCCOM grant merit scholarships? If so, when do those typically go out?

Does UCCOM grant merit scholarships? If so, when do those typically go out?

Yes. Got one scholarship in December and additional one in January. And, I was told more money becomes available as April 30 approaches.

What do you think about the ability to balance research and studying throughout M1?
I would not recommend it. Your first semester of M1 has weekly exams, and second semester is busy with anatomy, required extra classes, etc. The second semester Neuro block is very intense.
Solidify a project for summer of m1-m2

Any current students able to chime in on where students live? Are most students in the avondale/corryville Area? Or do students live places like downtown, otr, Oakley as well?

Also, how cohesive does the class feel? Is everyone close and friends or is it more spread out kind of thing where people just go to class together? Class is on the larger side do worried about it being the latter.

I would not recommend it. Your first semester of M1 has weekly exams, and second semester is busy with anatomy, required extra classes, etc. The second semester Neuro block is very intense.
Solidify a project for summer of m1-m2
How do students who want to match to competitive research heavy specialties handle it then? Specifically urology, ortho, rad onc

How do students who want to match to competitive research heavy specialties handle it then? Specifically urology, ortho, rad onc
Most people bust research out the summer between M1-M2. You can get involved in something early on if you want but realistically you won’t have much time to devote to a project during M1 year.

Any current students able to chime in on where students live? Are most students in the avondale/corryville Area? Or do students live places like downtown, otr, Oakley as well?

Also, how cohesive does the class feel? Is everyone close and friends or is it more spread out kind of thing where people just go to class together? Class is on the larger side do worried about it being the latter.
People live all over, all of those places included. I’d say the greatest density is in Clifton/Corryville though. Not a ton of people live downtown or in OTR because they’re pretty expensive, but there are some people there.

I’d say the class is pretty cohesive. They do a good job early in M1 of putting you in different smaller groups for different things so you meet a lot of people even if you aren’t a social butterfly. You also have your learning community who you spend a lot of time with. People obviously tend to make their smaller friend groups which happens in any situation but the whole class gets along pretty well, we have social events and stuff together.
I guess I’d say you get out of it what you put into it. If you don’t ever try to talk to or interact with anyone you will feel more isolated but that’s kind of just human social interaction 101 haha.

Start a project in the summer, continue working on it and maybe one more in M2. The first semester of M2 is relatively light.
Many do research in M3 as well.

Yes, many live in the areas you mentioned. A few in Oakley.
170 is actually on the smaller side. It's pretty cohesive, IMO. People tend to be friendly. I know everyone in my class, that is how cohesive it is.
But no we actually don't all go to class together-half or more . of us don't really attend class unless mandatory

Yes, many live in the areas you mentioned. A few in Oakley.
170 is actually on the smaller side. It's pretty cohesive, IMO. People tend to be friendly. I know everyone in my class, that is how cohesive it is.
But no we actually don't all go to class together-half or more . of us don't really attend class unless mandatory
Yeah wasn't thinking about lectures specifically haha, more so just like people only hangout at school related stuff. Yeah 170 isn't bad, thought it was more like 200, oops. Thanks! Where would you say the majority of students live? And is this area, whatever it is, fairly walkable? Looking to live somewhere where restaraunts, bars, some stuff to do is within walking distance. Thanks!

People live all over, all of those places included. I’d say the greatest density is in Clifton/Corryville though. Not a ton of people live downtown or in OTR because they’re pretty expensive, but there are some people there.

I’d say the class is pretty cohesive. They do a good job early in M1 of putting you in different smaller groups for different things so you meet a lot of people even if you aren’t a social butterfly. You also have your learning community who you spend a lot of time with. People obviously tend to make their smaller friend groups which happens in any situation but the whole class gets along pretty well, we have social events and stuff together.
I guess I’d say you get out of it what you put into it. If you don’t ever try to talk to or interact with anyone you will feel more isolated but that’s kind of just human social interaction 101 haha.

Sounds good. Thanks! Just wanted to make sure people weren't super anti social or something lol. And would you say Clifton/Corryville is walkable? Where would you prefer to live. Thanks.

How do you withdraw from here? I didn't see anything on the portal.

Yeah wasn't thinking about lectures specifically haha, more so just like people only hangout at school related stuff. Yeah 170 isn't bad, thought it was more like 200, oops. Thanks! Where would you say the majority of students live? And is this area, whatever it is, fairly walkable? Looking to live somewhere where restaraunts, bars, some stuff to do is within walking distance. Thanks!

Sounds good. Thanks! Just wanted to make sure people weren't super anti social or something lol. And would you say Clifton/Corryville is walkable? Where would you prefer to live. Thanks.
Correyville-and yes it is definitely walkable!
Also to give you an idea of social life here, I hang out with people from school more now than in undergrad.

I have lived in both Clifton and Corryville. Corryville is right next to school and has a Kroger, but it's more of an undergrad area and has less "charm." I really like the old houses, though. For local hangouts you have a strip called Short Vine with Taste of Belgium and (frankly) various undergrad dives. Which may be your thing! :) There is a public library there that is beautiful for a change of pace, but a little loud for serious study. For reference, I am at 2704 Eden and really just roll out of bed to get to UC hospital and school.

Clifton is 1.3 miles from school, with pleasant walking streets between, and has Clifton Market (for now, let's hope it stays open). It is more of your classic grad student/professor/yuppie neighborhood and has a commercial strip with a cafe (Sitwell's), a bar (Arlin's), Skyline, Graeter's, CVS, a movie theater (Esquire), etc., as well as Clifton Market. There is also a fairly quiet and newly renovated public library. I would totally have stayed there, but I was paying $675 for a nice one-bedroom that I was never in because I was always studying, etc. My Corryville studio is $475, made more sense.

And I am a lot older (at 41) than most of the class, so I naturally socialize with them a little less, but everyone is very friendly and certainly would welcome me if I one day decided that I wanted to go out drinking. My impression is that everyone hangs out with each other. (On a more personal note, if I had been single during M1, I would have gone to more getting-acquainted functions and thus made more social inroads early on, so keep this in mind if you have an SO who is less social.) Make yourself available on Friday afternoon/evening, because that's when everyone makes plans, as the last required activity of the week is wrapping up. My impression at my interview was that it's a friendly place, and that has 100% been borne out in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who already purchased the CastleBranch account, when is the earliest deadline/what is it for?

i still havent gotten the required docs email but it seems to have been already sent out yesterday?? all i got was a second look feedback email :|