2018-2019 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just so everyone knows, the secondary prompts that were posted earlier are actually a little different than what I am seeing as the prompt on the portal. I see:
Please do not repeat content from your AMCAS personal statement in these essays. To the extent that there is overlap in the personal statement to what you want to write here, please choose a different approach to discussing the issue(s), such as influence on your values and beliefs, changes you made in your life, reflections that are from a different perspective. The committee utilizes this important information in the selection process.

Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Limit the essay to 1500 characters, including spaces (approximately 300 words).

And if you're a reapplicant:
Please explain how you and your application has changed since your previous submission. Limit this response to 1500 Characters.

So essentially they took out the reapplicant thing from the first essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To confirm, for:
"Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine."

They want us to write one single essay, with a limit of 1500 characters, that addresses both part A and part B?

Members don't see this ad :)
To confirm, for:
"Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine."

They want us to write one single essay, with a limit of 1500 characters, that addresses both part A and part B?
Yes. One single essay addressing both part A and B.

Hi! I am a little confused about how to send my CASPER score to Colorado. What name is the school listed as in the casper website?

How long from taking CASPer until CUSOM will mark my application as complete? As a point of reference, I'm taking the CASPer that is offered at the end of this month.

How long from taking CASPer until CUSOM will mark my application as complete? As a point of reference, I'm taking the CASPer that is offered at the end of this month.
They take 3 weeks to score casper and send them out. I'd estimate another few days after that for the school to process it

Does anyone know if this school requires us to upload a picture? I noticed that next to my name on the navigation bar it says "No Photo," but when I click it, it just asks if I wanted to reset my password or sign out.

Does anyone know if this school requires us to upload a picture? I noticed that next to my name on the navigation bar it says "No Photo," but when I click it, it just asks if I wanted to reset my password or sign out.
If anything was required, it would make you do it on the secondary. (That's my best guess)

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado resident...what's going on ...why does CU seem to be behind in getting out secondaries? Also if someone can like this post I can modify my signature..Thanks

Anyone having trouble with the site they're using for the application fee? I can't get it to load.

not much action on this thread.....anyone else patiently waiting for a secondary app?

not much action on this thread.....anyone else patiently waiting for a secondary app?
Received mine 7/5 and it submitted 7/24 (Spam folder mishap). I am out of state now, but finished undergrad at a private school in CO and spent 5 years as a CO resident prior to applying.

Check your Spam folder!!! I received my secondary weeks ago and I'm OOS. Lots of people found it mistakenly categorized as spam...

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they purposefully send it to spam to help weed people out lol

Called and they said the applications are reviewed randomly and not based on when primary submitted.... Will email in few days if not gotten and ask specifically in regards to my application.... Been checking spam carefully over last 6 weeks

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a bug that they are aware of, have not addressed, and have come to appreciate in some ways on account of it adding another layer of personal responsibility to the overall process.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a bug that they are aware of, have not addressed, and have come to appreciate in some ways on account of it adding another layer of personal responsibility to the overall process.

Fundamental attribution error, anyone?

Admissions departments at schools are not nefariously doing everything they can to sabotage your application. Their goal isn't to keep you out of medical school, it's to get you in. There's likely nothing they can do about having their emails categorized by Gmail as spam. That's why every single school tells applicants to add their admissions email address to your contacts list.

Reactions: 5 users

Admissions departments at schools are not nefariously doing everything they can to sabotage your application. Their goal isn't to keep you out of medical school, it's to get you in. There's likely nothing they can do about having their emails categorized by Gmail as spam. That's why every single school tells applicants to add their admissions email address to your contacts list.
The point was not that committees are "nefariously doing everything they can to sabotage your application," or that it was intentional on their part at all (thus the term "bug" rather than "feature"), but rather that they may have come to appreciate it as another way of applicants demonstrating personal responsibility during the process. That point is debatable without building a straw man.

How are people abbreviating University of Colorado School of Medicine in their secondaries? UCSOM? CU Medicine? Why am I having so much trouble with this? lol

How are people abbreviating University of Colorado School of Medicine in their secondaries? UCSOM? CU Medicine? Why am I having so much trouble with this? lol
I like "CU" better. I think CUSOM can be Campbell or Creighton.

That was meant as a joke, lighten up a bit, people

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone selected CUSOM as a designated school to receive CASPER score? I found the list of schools to select but could not find colorado SOM listed? Only Colorados I saw was UColorado Anesthesiologist Assistants and Colorado Mesa University PA

Has anyone selected CUSOM as a designated school to receive CASPER score? I found the list of schools to select but could not find colorado SOM listed? Only Colorados I saw was UColorado Anesthesiologist Assistants and Colorado Mesa University PA
I just checked. It's called UC Denver

I checked haha I was just verified 8/7 so I probably am going to be waiting a while. I have no ties to CO so might have wasted some money here

I wouldn't worry about not getting a secondary. I'm also OOS with 0 ties. I received their secondary after like 4-5 days. You should be receiving it next week since they don't screen for it.

Does anyone else's portal make them reset their password every. single. time.?

Huh, me too for Chrome. Weird.
When you click the link to your secondary can you click “back” instead of entering a password? For the schools that use this portal I just clicked back after the first time when I made a password and it takes me to the main login page

I checked haha I was just verified 8/7 so I probably am going to be waiting a while. I have no ties to CO so might have wasted some money here

I am also OOS with no ties (unless being from New Mexico counts lol). The secondary app is $100... debating if I would be wasting my money here??

I am also OOS with no ties (unless being from New Mexico counts lol). The secondary app is $100... debating if I would be wasting my money here??
CO is selective towards IS residents. Having said that, you have 0% chance of getting in if you don't apply.

When you click the link to your secondary can you click “back” instead of entering a password? For the schools that use this portal I just clicked back after the first time when I made a password and it takes me to the main login page
It worked! Thanks so much.

Worried I might have missed my secondary request from spam as things get deleted automatically after 30 days! Any ideas on how to check for a password, there's not a 'forgot your password" link. How long did it take everyone after submitting the primary to receive the secondary invite?

Worried I might have missed my secondary request from spam as things get deleted automatically after 30 days! Any ideas on how to check for a password, there's not a 'forgot your password" link. How long did it take everyone after submitting the primary to receive the secondary invite?

Had the same issue and I emailed them and told them to resend me the link to the secondary