2018-2019 University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was complete back in early August, but still no II. This was my dream school, but my mcat was low. Not completely surprised but still very disappointed lol

Members don't see this ad.

Was complete back in early August, but still no II. This was my dream school, but my mcat was low. Not completely surprised but still very disappointed lol
I have a 510-512 with a high gpa but I am out of state and complete at the same time. In a similar boat as you :/

Current student here. Congrats to all who have been accepted so far and best of luck to everyone still waiting. If there are any questions about the school, feel free to send a message
Do you know if this school accepts "in the area" emails? I am from FL but go to school out of state.[/QUOTE]

I am not familiar with the policy for "in the area"...maybe it's worth a shot to email admissions about it? They are nice people :)

Do you know if this school accepts "in the area" emails? I am from FL but go to school out of state.
We've heard the good. Lol. What's the biggest flaw?[/QUOTE]

I'd have to say the horribly humid weather ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know that this is pretty impossible to know for sure, but how is waitlist movement here generally? I want to know if I’m wasting a letter of intent by sending one here

I just received an II! by call then email IS completed app 7/14/18

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! I got an interview here for 1/11 and am looking for a hotel here! Is there a hotel here than anyone recommends? I know in the e-mail it has a long list already but wanted to check if anyone had a recommendation. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I got an interview here for 1/11 and am looking for a hotel here! Is there a hotel here than anyone recommends? I know in the e-mail it has a long list already but wanted to check if anyone had a recommendation. Thank you!
Student host >>>>>>>>

Reactions: 1 user

my parents used to stay at paramount plaza which I think now is Wyndham garden. I liked it, it used to be on the cheaper side (idk now) and I think they might have shuttles, but give them a call, otherwise it's a mile from campus so you can def get an uber if not.

Got an email (the one with the picture) post interview stating they hope to see me again soon. Does this mean anything or am I reading too much into this?
Reading into it lol, I think everyone gets the same email

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email (the one with the picture) post interview stating they hope to see me again soon. Does this mean anything or am I reading too much into this?
agree with diene_daily. Everyone gets the email with the pic after their interview.

So I know that this is pretty impossible to know for sure, but how is waitlist movement here generally? I want to know if I’m wasting a letter of intent by sending one here

It's hard to say/predict, you could go back to previous years' threads and check there. 2 cycles ago the waitlist barely moved, if at all but generally I think one should expect at least some movement although how much is anyone's guess at this stage. If UF truly is your #1 choice and you wouldn't go elsewhere I don't see why not express your intentions

Members don't see this ad :)
II! Complete 7/29
:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
I thought I had zero chance when I sent this app in

Reactions: 1 users
On a Sunday? That's some dedication right there
YEAH BRO! I'm out drinking with my friends when I got the email and I'm like uhh no this is probably some fraud or something lol. But the contact even mentioned in the email that she wanted to send out the information as soon as possible.

YEAH BRO! I'm out drinking with my friends when I got the email and I'm like uhh no this is probably some fraud or something lol. But the contact even mentioned in the email that she wanted to send out the information as soon as possible.
Congrats. Rest up and get ready

II this morning. I'm in state but I've kinda already run out of money flying to interviews from Hawaii. I'm in Hawaii because I'm a military dependent.

Put plane tix on a credit card? What do you think?

II this morning. I'm in state but I've kinda already run out of money flying to interviews from Hawaii. I'm in Hawaii because I'm a military dependent.

Put plane tix on a credit card? What do you think?

Coming from someone who wasn't very interested in UF prior to getting an interview, UF absolutely blew me away. If you want to stay in Florida, I'm not sure you can do better. It's the highest ranked school in Florida (if that means something to you) and the in state tuition is pretty cheap (although if you're planning on doing the military scholarship this probably doesn't matter). I think if you are already accepted somewhere else, only go if you would strongly consider Florida over your current acceptance. If you're not accepted somewhere, then run that CC bill up. It's gonna be much cheaper in the long run to buy that plane ticket now than lose out on a year of income as an attending because you didn't get accepted.

Coming from someone who wasn't very interested in UF prior to getting an interview, UF absolutely blew me away. If you want to stay in Florida, I'm not sure you can do better. It's the highest ranked school in Florida (if that means something to you) and the in state tuition is pretty cheap (although if you're planning on doing the military scholarship this probably doesn't matter). I think if you are already accepted somewhere else, only go if you would strongly consider Florida over your current acceptance. If you're not accepted somewhere, then run that CC bill up. It's gonna be much cheaper in the long run to buy that plane ticket now than lose out on a year of income as an attending because you didn't get accepted.
What did you like best about Florida?

I’ve been accepted at other schools but UF is gonna be my only in state school if I get in. People are telling me that it doesn’t matter where I go, so go with the cheapest option. Man, I wish I got this interview as one of my earlier ones.

I'd like to second what my buddy said here. UF easily becomes people's top choices even when it wasn't on their radar.

I'd like to second what my buddy said here. UF easily becomes people's top choices even when it wasn't on their radar.
I’ll third it, they really blow you away on interview day. I actually was in your situation in regard to deciding whether or not to go to mine and I’m very glad I did.

I’ll third it, they really blow you away on interview day. I actually was in your situation in regard to deciding whether or not to go to mine and I’m very glad I did.

+4

What did you like best about Florida?

I’ve been accepted at other schools but UF is gonna be my only in state school if I get in. People are telling me that it doesn’t matter where I go, so go with the cheapest option. Man, I wish I got this interview as one of my earlier ones.
The culture. Interview day had the same vibe that the UF secondary did, and Dr Lynch goes to a lot of effort to demonstrate that the core value at UF is caring about others. Every school talks about how they care about their students, but UF really showed it. From the phone call for an interview from the director of admissions, to the selection of an interviewer that you shared something in common with, to the lunch with the entire class (and not just the student ambassadors) who all seemed very excited to be there and were extremely welcoming. I could go on and on. I even had a student contact me privately out of the blue just to answer any questions I might have after the interview. UF also has a very strong alumni base, and I suspect this culture throughout med school has a lot to do with it.

There are other reasons I like the school as well, and you can PM me if you want to talk about it more, but that was probably the biggest thing that drew me to UF and the most unique compared to the other schools I interviewed at.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Guys please stop talking up UF I’m really trying to get off the waitlist here...

Reactions: 3 users
Every school talks about how they care about their students, but UF really showed it.

100% agree with this statement^^^Interviewed with a school up up north and while they mentioned caring more for their students and that wellness was a top priority they didn't SHOW it. UF completely does this. Absolutely phenomenal experience. :)

The culture. Interview day had the same vibe that the UF secondary did, and Dr Lynch goes to a lot of effort to demonstrate that the core value at UF is caring about others. Every school talks about how they care about their students, but UF really showed it. From the phone call for an interview from the director of admissions, to the selection of an interviewer that you shared something in common with, to the lunch with the entire class (and not just the student ambassadors) who all seemed very excited to be there and were extremely welcoming. I could go on and on. I even had a student contact me privately out of the blue just to answer any questions I might have after the interview. UF also has a very strong alumni base, and I suspect this culture throughout med school has a lot to do with it.

There are other reasons I like the school as well, and you can PM me if you want to talk about it more, but that was probably the biggest thing that drew me to UF and the most unique compared to the other schools I interviewed at.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
Wow. I’ll try to find the money to interview. I’m in Hawai’i that’s why flying up is going to be very expensive. I’m still a Florida resident because I’m a military spouse.

I’ve always flown up for interviews a couple of times so I’m so broke right now.

Yup, I basically applied to UF without any serious interest.... It was my first interview, and I ended up comparing it to every other school I interviewed at and they all fell short.

Hey, do you recommend flying into Gainesville? Coming from Hawaii, I'd need to make two stops. It's miserable. But the good news is that I found some money for my flight. =)

Edit: I mean Gainesville or Jacksonville or some other airport?

Last edited:
^Not as convenient, but flying into Orlando (~2-2.5 hrs away) might be a lot cheaper. You can take a shuttle up from there. Tampa (around 2-2.5 hrs) and Jacksonville (1.5-2 hrs) are also options. All 3 are likely to be less expensive than flying directly to/from Gainesville

^Not as convenient, but flying into Orlando (~2-2.5 hrs away) might be a lot cheaper. You can take a shuttle up from there. Tampa (around 2-2.5 hrs) and Jacksonville (1.5-2 hrs) are also options. All 3 are likely to be less expensive than flying directly to/from Gainesville
Thank you. I'll look into those options now.

For those who have already heard back post interview, what time did you get your email/call? Next wave goes out today and I am NERVOUS!

In your same situation, about to collapse x_x
My call was around 2-3p if I remember right, but it totally depends on your specific interviewers. The email didn’t come until 7-8p. Good luck!!!

For those who have already heard back post interview, what time did you get your email/call? Next wave goes out today and I am NERVOUS!
My friend who has an lz score of 76 just got his acceptance!

Submitted secondary in 8/25, still no II. (in state applicant)
Thinking about sending an update on a new clinical experience, but was wondering...
1. is it too early to send an update
2. is the school receptive to updates
3. when does UF stop sending interview invites

I called them in November because I am in the same boat as you. I asked if there was anything I could do to make my application more competitive, and they said that they are receptive to both updates via the portal, as well as letters of interest. I sent in a letter of interest that also contained updates.

ACCEPTED BABY
Interview was last Friday
This was my top choice :clap:

but this is going to be a hard choice honestly

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
do you think they will continue to send interview invites out in December for January?

do you think they will continue to send interview invites out in December for January?
I don't believe so. They mentioned that the fast turnaround was due to the offices closing soon for the holidays, but maybe!