2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The heck? She told me two weeks ago that they would consider campus appeals as seats opened.

Before I was switched to the Chicago campus for UMED yesterday, Leila told me that as new seats open up, the priority is to fill those spots with people off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Before I was switched to the Chicago campus for UMED yesterday, Leila told me that as new seats open up, the priority is to fill those spots with people off the waitlist.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH, that is so frustrating. Were you accepted off the waitlist for UMED? Did you have to specially ask them to consider your application for UMED? I applied, but hadn't yet been accepted to UICOM when I did and by the time I was accepted they were saying UMED was full.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH, that is so frustrating. Were you accepted off the waitlist for UMED? Did you have to specially ask them to consider your application for UMED? I applied, but hadn't yet been accepted to UICOM when I did and by the time I was accepted they were saying UMED was full.
I was accepted by UICOM May 6. I immediately emailed the UMED director about interviewing for a spot. At first I was told the program was full, then I was invited to interview cause I guess a spot opened up. Four of us interviewed for the opening and I was accepted to the program last week. My campus placement officially changed yesterday!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to UMED two weeks ago and I just got an email from Leila saying that the Chicago campus is full, but that she’d keep me updated on my assignment... I’m not sure what to think in this case since the UMED program is in Chicago so all seminars, community partnerships, etc are there. It doesn’t seem like I could fully participate in the program if I’m not there. Has this happened to anybody else in a longitudinal program lol?

I guess I just assumed that a number of spots in Chicago were reserved for UMED, so I’m actually shocked to hear this from Leila.

• Wow
I was accepted to UMED two weeks ago and I just got an email from Leila saying that the Chicago campus is full, but that she’d keep me updated on my assignment... I’m not sure what to think in this case since the UMED program is in Chicago so all seminars, community partnerships, etc are there. It doesn’t seem like I could fully participate in the program if I’m not there. Has this happened to anybody else in a longitudinal program lol?

I guess I just assumed that a number of spots in Chicago were reserved for UMED, so I’m actually shocked to hear this from Leila.
wow, what an incompetent admissions committee! I don’t know what else to say but maybe email Dr. Michel?

wow, what an incompetent admissions committee! I don’t know what else to say but maybe email Dr. Michel?

Like, this literally means that someone dropped a spot in UMED/Chicago, admissions filled the open Chicago spot with a new acceptance, and then were like, "Oppsies, we forgot that UMED was gonna fill that spot again"? Right?

Like, this literally means that someone dropped a spot in UMED/Chicago, admissions filled the open Chicago spot with a new acceptance, and then were like, "Oppsies, we forgot that UMED was gonna fill that spot again"? Right?
I’m trying to remain calm, but I’m livid.

Hey everyone! I wanted to see if there is a Facebook page for accepted students! Would really love to meet the rest of the class! Congrats to everyone that has been accepted and to those waiting goodluck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I wanted to see if there is a Facebook page for accepted students! Would really love to meet the rest of the class! Congrats to everyone that has been accepted and to those waiting goodluck!!

Yes there is!

Search “University of Illinois College of Medicine - Class of 2023”

Has anyone who was accepted on or after May 6th received any information regarding financial aid? I called last week and they said that they were still working on getting that information to the people in that particular batch of acceptances, but I still haven’t heard anything.

Has anyone who was accepted on or after May 6th received any information regarding financial aid? I called last week and they said that they were still working on getting that information to the people in that particular batch of acceptances, but I still haven’t heard anything.

I received it a couple weeks ago

Members don't see this ad :)
I was notified via email about scholarship in April, but my student portal financial aid status does not have the scholarship amount included. Anyone else who's in a situation like mine?

Does anyone know how to log in to the student portal? I don't think I have received any email (was accepted ~4 weeks ago).

Does anyone know how to log in to the student portal? I don't think I have received any email (was accepted ~4 weeks ago).

You unfortunately will need an email with instructions on how to activate a student account.

Does anyone know when we will receive the block 0 material??

Did anyone who had to submit additional documentation for financial aid, like the data retrieval review, submit the required documents and not heard anything back yet? I was accepted a long time ago and submitted the additional requirements for financial aid, but it says received, not reviewed. I don't want to email them again and pester them, but I'm also really anxious to get started figuring out this loan stuff.

Did anyone who had to submit additional documentation for financial aid, like the data retrieval review, submit the required documents and not heard anything back yet? I was accepted a long time ago and submitted the additional requirements for financial aid, but it says received, not reviewed. I don't want to email them again and pester them, but I'm also really anxious to get started figuring out this loan stuff.

Hey, I got plenty of help from the thread so its about time I participate.

I would give them a call rather than an email so you know your concerns were heard, who heard them, and when you can expect to hear back/should call back. Just start your call with your name and that you are part of the incoming class. Since being accepted I have called the admissions and financial aid offices more than a few times to confirm prematriculation materials were received and to set up my GI Bill; they are much more helpful once you have been accepted. It's enough calls that it should probably be bugging them but they seem to be thrilled that it's being taken care of early rather than in a massive rush by half the incoming class a week before orientation.

Trying to change my PTE to CTE in the applicant portal and the option for CTE isn’t there. Is it just me?

When UIC the undergraduate college wants $12 to electronically send my transcripts to the college of medicine.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hello friends, I was just accepted!! I'm trying to figure out my second choice campus....being a city person, would I be happier in peoria or rockford? Which campus is better in your personal opinions?

They are both pretty rural/small towns
Hello friends, I was just accepted!! I'm trying to figure out my second choice campus....being a city person, would I be happier in peoria or rockford? Which campus is better in your personal opinions?

Don’t pick based on location. The towns are similar size ( ~100-150k in the city with ~ 350k metro). Keep in mind the following are based on my (potentially flawed) understanding:

Rockford is better for rural medicine and other forms of primary care training. There are no residents which I have heard can enhance student’s experiences during rotations.

Peoria has more research options, major academic hospitals, simulation center, etc.

P.S. - be sure to choose wisely because Chicago is probably full this late. Personal opinion? I chose Peoria but I think it can depend on the person. I’d just encourage you to look into both thoroughly

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops I am actually wrong.

Rockford is the third-largest city in the state

From my personal experience, I view them as fairly small (either way smaller than a big city). Umed is in Rockford so I would imagine they have rural surroundings

Whoops I am actually wrong.

Rockford is the third-largest city in the state

I mean, it's all frame of reference. Of the 12 million people who live in Illinois, 8 million of them live in Chicago/Chicago (Illinois) metropolitan area. The rest of Illinois is staunchly rural in comparison.

Can anyone who went to the second look at Chicago's campus please post or DM me the material? I'd love you forever. Sincerely, 1. e4 <3

The towns are relatively similar. Rockford is slightly bigger, slightly bigger, and parts of it are more dangerous than Peoria. Both are their own little urban centers, but are surrounded mostly be corn. Rockford is about an hour closer to the city of Chicago and its airports. Peoria is home of Bradley University, so there is some presence of higher education there, which is absent in Rockford. Rockford is not home of many (or any??) residency programs, so your rotations will be just you and the attending. Idk if that's good or bad, though. Ultimately, the two are similar in many ways. I preffed Peoria simply because they have a rock climbing gym, which is something I care about.

The towns are relatively similar. Rockford is slightly bigger, slightly bigger, and parts of it are more dangerous than Peoria. Both are their own little urban centers, but are surrounded mostly be corn. Rockford is about an hour closer to the city of Chicago and its airports. Peoria is home of Bradley University, so there is some presence of higher education there, which is absent in Rockford. Rockford is not home of many (or any??) residency programs, so your rotations will be just you and the attending. Idk if that's good or bad, though. Ultimately, the two are similar in many ways. I preffed Peoria simply because they have a rock climbing gym, which is something I care about.

ahh, do you climb at FA? i've been hoping i could form a climbing buddy/group in chicago!

Also if someone in the Facebook page could message the owners of the group to approve the pending members, that'd be great. Us recent admits have a lot to do in a very little amount of time.

Also if someone in the Facebook page could message the owners of the group to approve the pending members, that'd be great. Us recent admits have a lot to do in a very little amount of time.

Yeah I don't even know any of the important dates, like maybe I'm dumb but I can't find the official start date of orientation anywhere...just that it's sometime in august...Also have you received any financial aid info yet?

Yeah I don't even know any of the important dates, like maybe I'm dumb but I can't find the official start date of orientation anywhere...just that it's sometime in august...Also have you received any financial aid info yet?

Orientation is August 5-9 and classes start on the 13th

Orientation is August 5-9 and classes start on the 13th
Did you get this in an email? How are people finding these things out? The only correspondence I’ve received since being accepted is required immunizations and background checks.

Did you get this in an email? How are people finding these things out? The only correspondence I’ve received since being accepted is required immunizations and background checks.

My email for immunizations and background checks came on 5/17, and another email noting orientation dates (8/5-8/9) came on 5/24. (Peoria campus btw)

Happy preparing for pre-matriculation everyone!

I was wondering if there are things that I should be doing for financial aid besides FAFSA. I haven’t received any other instructions besides doing the promissory notes for the loans and accepting the award letter. Do I have to submit any documents, set up direct deposit, or any other things of that sort?

I would appreciate any guidance as I am a bit anxious in case I am not doing the required things for the school year.

Do any OOS students know how easy it is to petition to get in state tuition starting second year?

also for the castlebranch stuff do we have to do the respiratory fit training before we get to campus?

Do any OOS students know how easy it is to petition to get in state tuition starting second year?

also for the castlebranch stuff do we have to do the respiratory fit training before we get to campus?
The immunization sheet says we get fit tested at orientation!