2018-2019 University of Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed today. Brian said they are anticipating finishing decisions on the post-Thanksgiving interview block next Tuesday, and MAY extend their next couple meetings to try to not get so far behind from the holidays eating the following 2 meetings.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed today. Brian said they are anticipating finishing decisions on the post-Thanksgiving interview block next Tuesday, and MAY extend their next couple meetings to try to not get so far behind from the holidays eating the following 2 meetings.

Did he say when he thought decisions were going to go out? I know they seem to try and wait to send the entire months interview decisions out at once.

Did he say when he thought decisions were going to go out? I know they seem to try and wait to send the entire months interview decisions out at once.
They do wait until the whole interview block is decided on, and then notify the whole block at once; he didn't specifically indicate what the lag time from "block done" to "email sent" was, but I got the sense that it's pretty quick, like on the order of a couple days at most.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so the assumption is the block for Nov. 14-16 might here next week? since its been a month? the wait is not fun.

so the assumption is the block for Nov. 14-16 might here next week? since its been a month? the wait is not fun.
I would think so, based on my interpretation, but what do I know? I'm just some guy on the internet.

Just received word from KU that they will be making a final decision about my app in March. I'm OOS with strong ties, interviewed on 11/15, and my LizzyM is 67, just fyi. Let the waiting (officially) begin! Best of luck to everyone else :) Also, fair warning to those waiting for an email: the "we're waiting until March" email starts with "We are pleased..." but it's totally a tease, so just be aware that you might feel like you were accepted for the 5 seconds before you finish the sentence. Merp.

Last edited:
Just received word from KU that they will be making a final decision about my app in March. I'm OOS with strong ties, interviewed on 11/15, and my LizzyM is 67, just fyi. Let the waiting (officially) begin! Best of luck to everyone else :) Also, fair warning to those waiting for an email: the "we're waiting until March" email starts with "We are pleased..." but it's totally a tease, so just be aware that you might feel like you were accepted for the 5 seconds before you finish the sentence. Merp.
Got the same email today. IS, interview 11/15, LizzyM of 68. Gotta love the wait!

Welcome to the anxious-til-march group, friends. lol <3

For those who are OOS but with strong ties... what do you/ what does KU consider to be strong ties?

For those who are OOS but with strong ties... what do you/ what does KU consider to be strong ties?

I would consider graduating from a Kansas high school and/or college, or living in Kansas for multiple years to be strong-ish ties. Having any nuclear family in Kansas would help as well. I think they’re looking for a reason for why you would want to practice in Kansas. For me, I lived in Kansas for 22 of my 23 years of life and only moved away last year, and I still have nuclear family in Kansas, so I would consider my tie about as strong as it gets.

I would consider graduating from a Kansas high school and/or college, or living in Kansas for multiple years to be strong-ish ties. Having any nuclear family in Kansas would help as well. I think they’re looking for a reason for why you would want to practice in Kansas. For me, I lived in Kansas for 22 of my 23 years of life and only moved away last year, and I still have nuclear family in Kansas, so I would consider my tie about as strong as it gets.

Thank you!

Kind of suprised, but I just got interview invite for January 17th. I'm OOS from Missouri.

Reactions: 2 users
II today, OOS with weak ties to Kansas, LM 73. Scheduled to interview 1/17!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II!

Very excited, this is only my second MD II. I have literally 0 ties to Kansas and my stats truly aren't anything amazing (LM 70).

Hey guys! I need some interview advice for KU. Any current students or already interviewed students willing to chime in? Format, relaxed/not, kinds of questions asked, kinds of questions you all asked etc. More info is always welcome! Thanks!

Hey guys! I need some interview advice for KU. Any current students or already interviewed students willing to chime in? Format, relaxed/not, kinds of questions asked, kinds of questions you all asked etc. More info is always welcome! Thanks!
Standard stuff before/after depending on your group - a tour with a med student, lunch with med students, financial aid presentation, cirriculum overview, and Q&A/welcome with Dean McCurdy/Mr. Steele.

I interviewed back in oct - 1st interview is open file with the adcom who will present you. 2nd is 2 people not on adcom but that will write up an evaluation of you after the interview and give to the adcom presenting. I felt it was very relaxed and they genuinely just wanted to have a conversation with you. Each was 30 minutes long. They save a few mins for the end so you can ask questions if you have any.

I got asked things about my background, my reasoning for wanting to enter medicine, what I did for fun, what is the strongest/weakest part of my app, real standard questions. I did not get anything ethical really. Why I thought I would be a good fit for their class and some questions about being a nontrad and how I will relate to the youngins (haha). They know you're nervous but in my experience they're super nice and I felt like they really wanted me to show who I was so they could present me as best as possible.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other specific questions I might be able to answer!

Standard stuff before/after depending on your group - a tour with a med student, lunch with med students, financial aid presentation, cirriculum overview, and Q&A/welcome with Dean McCurdy/Mr. Steele.

I interviewed back in oct - 1st interview is open file with the adcom who will present you. 2nd is 2 people not on adcom but that will write up an evaluation of you after the interview and give to the adcom presenting. I felt it was very relaxed and they genuinely just wanted to have a conversation with you. Each was 30 minutes long. They save a few mins for the end so you can ask questions if you have any.

I got asked things about my background, my reasoning for wanting to enter medicine, what I did for fun, what is the strongest/weakest part of my app, real standard questions. I did not get anything ethical really. Why I thought I would be a good fit for their class and some questions about being a nontrad and how I will relate to the youngins (haha). They know you're nervous but in my experience they're super nice and I felt like they really wanted me to show who I was so they could present me as best as possible.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other specific questions I might be able to answer!

You the real MVP! Thanks a lot!

I interviewed at the KC campus, and actually had a much different experience than @Kipani, who interviewed in Wichita, I believe. My interviews were very straight-faced, no-nonsense. My interviewers asked very few questions about my background/about me, and asked mostly ethical questions and some questions about healthcare in general. It wasn't a warm, fuzzy experience, and I didn't feel like it left much room for my personality to shine through. Not to say that one style of interview is better than the other, but I didn't leave feeling entirely encouraged or excited. Just a heads up so you're not blindsided if you have a similar interview experience. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck! You'll do great :)

That's a good point, Southpaw. I hadn't considered they would be very different depending on the campuses. I guess it may also depend on your particular background too - the first dude focused on me being older than the average marticulant so maybe my background would be brought up more than someone who hasn't been out of school as long (lets just say some of my bachelors is 10+ years old, masters is 6+ years old.)

I interviewed in KC and my experience was much like @southpaw3 lots of ethics questions, and questions about healthcare. Quite a few questions aimed towards why I would be a good fit for Kansas. For the ethics questions, one of the interviewers came at the questions from multiple different directions I feel like trying to see if I would waver on what I initially said. Stuck with my initial answers and I think that is definitely what they wanted to see. While I agree it was hard to have my personality stand out, I think it was partially due to the amount of time/my own nervousness. My interviews were very laid back, very much a conversation.

I interviewed in KC and my experience was much like @southpaw3 lots of ethics questions, and questions about healthcare. Quite a few questions aimed towards why I would be a good fit for Kansas. For the ethics questions, one of the interviewers came at the questions from multiple different directions I feel like trying to see if I would waver on what I initially said. Stuck with my initial answers and I think that is definitely what they wanted to see. While I agree it was hard to have my personality stand out, I think it was partially due to the amount of time/my own nervousness. My interviews were very laid back, very much a conversation.
That's a good point, Southpaw. I hadn't considered they would be very different depending on the campuses. I guess it may also depend on your particular background too - the first dude focused on me being older than the average marticulant so maybe my background would be brought up more than someone who hasn't been out of school as long (lets just say some of my bachelors is 10+ years old, masters is 6+ years old.)

Great suggestions and points you all! I figure that half an hour won't be enough time to make it memorable. That's my prime struggle. When do you find out after the interview? If I have an update should I update prior to the interview on during the interview?

Great suggestions and points you all! I figure that half an hour won't be enough time to make it memorable. That's my prime struggle. When do you find out after the interview? If I have an update should I update prior to the interview on during the interview?

On the day of the interviews (12-5), our first "activity" was a 30-minute or so group talk with Brian, the admissions director, who gave us an overview on the process and an expected timeline, based on where the selection committee was in the interview blocks and their rate of progress. Our group was going to be delayed by both Christmas and New Years (as they meet Tuesdays), but I expect this is probably part of the discussion for everyone. I sent a grade update after my interview at his suggestion [classes were still underway]; I would think if you have the info ahead of time that would be preferable to springing it when you get into the room.

I interviewed at Salina, and my experience was very similar to Kipani's - I am a significantly non-trad student with a ton of paid experience, so my adcom interview largely revolved around my story and how I expect my age and experience to influence my academic and professional future, with a smattering of ethics questions sprinkled through. The closed-file was incredibly laid-back, and very conversational; again, lots of discussion of my particular perspective given my background, smattering of ethics, the "what do you do in your free time" question, and wound up with "what's your favorite movie and why?" I actually ended up getting almost none of the "usual" questions (why medicine, why a doctor, etc.); I suspect this is just because I am an outlier with enough other interesting things to discuss, and because my experience/history obviates the motivation and exposure questions, so don't skip prepping those on my questionable advice.

I apologize if it's already up there and I didn't see it but do they accept pre-II updates (and if so how)? I know they're pretty much done interviewing but I'm from a neighboring state so I could definitely go without advanced notice

Does anyone know if KU accepts updates? I heard a wait until March after my interview. I just graduated in December with Honors and I am starting a job full-time.

Not sure if it has changed, but in previous year threads they added the update to your file but indicated it would not be reviewed again? I guess couldnt hurt to ask?

Rejected today, 12-5 interview.

Does anyone know if KU accepts updates? I heard a wait until March after my interview. I just graduated in December with Honors and I am starting a job full-time.
I interviewed for my second time at KU (because I was not accepted early decision) just yesterday and Brian said that if the committee has not yet reviewed you that you are able to send updates through the med admissions email. If they have already reviewed you, you're out of luck because they have already given you a score!

Hey guys, silly logistical question here! For those who interviewed at the KC campus, during the campus tour/the whole day, how much time was spent outside? I'm OOS and have 0 experience with snow, and was trying to decide what footwear to pack/wear on the day of if there is snow (Tuesday weather keeps switching snow and no snow)? Thanks a bunch!

Hey guys, silly logistical question here! For those who interviewed at the KC campus, during the campus tour/the whole day, how much time was spent outside? I'm OOS and have 0 experience with snow, and was trying to decide what footwear to pack/wear on the day of if there is snow (Tuesday weather keeps switching snow and no snow)? Thanks a bunch!
You spend very little if not zero time at all. You might have to walk outside during the tour, but it's not for a very long time. If you are driving, just be careful about ice.

I didn't go outside during my tour, so for shoes I would worry more about just being comfortable walking around for an hour or so, but I would recommend bringing a coat and gloves since the walk to/from your car might be long enough to be very uncomfortable if you don't have winter-weather clothing (speaking from personal experience :confused:).

Hope everyone’s interviews that last week went well! Anyone else counting down the weeks to march? I’m hoping we only have 4 more weeks. *crosses fingers*

Hope everyone’s interviews that last week went well! Anyone else counting down the weeks to march? I’m hoping we only have 4 more weeks. *crosses fingers*

Have they ever sent out acceptances before March 15? And did they mention anything this cycle about sending them out earlier? #WishfulThinking :p

I dunno, I thought I saw a few cycles back that they came out the first week of march. Maybe I’m just hoping 4 weeks because any longer gives me unbearable anxiety. XD

hi! did anyone get an email about campus preferences? Does anyone know if there is any merit to changing campus preferences? I somewhat remember being told about it on interview day.
Thank you :)

hi! did anyone get an email about campus preferences? Does anyone know if there is any merit to changing campus preferences? I somewhat remember being told about it on interview day.
Thank you :)
I got the email as well, however idk about the merit to changing. Sorry I can't be of much help

Got one as well! The fact that it says we will let you know your campus assignment mid march totally means that those of us waiting are in right? :p

I dont think it affects anything; Sandy explained to us that basically most people wanna go to KC and that if you pick another site you pretty much get it. If the sites are unfilled (wichita, Salina, KC 2 WI 2) its kinda lottery’d off i think ? And if someone on the wait list is brought in, others who are not at their first choice get the chance to move first? I could be misremembering all of that (been since october lol).

Accepted Friday 2/15! Interviewed at KC campus 1/17. LM 73.5, OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else neurotically read over the KU email and notice this line: "In mid-March, we will begin the process of assigning campuses to those who have been offered admission"? Does this mean admission decisions will be sent out before mid-March?? :wideyed:

Did anyone else neurotically read over the KU email and notice this line: "In mid-March, we will begin the process of assigning campuses to those who have been offered admission"? Does this mean admission decisions will be sent out before mid-March?? :wideyed:

Don’t give me false hope haha

Don’t give me false hope haha

False hope is dangerous, haha. I suppose we should still plan for March 15th and be pleasantly surprised if we hear back before then, but I know one year they sent them out on like March 4th, so who knows!

False hope is dangerous, haha. I suppose we should still plan for March 15th and be pleasantly surprised if we hear back before then, but I know one year they sent them out on like March 4th, so who knows!

I'm hoping for early this year. They ninja changed their application page stuff to say they will communicate through email now, so unless that isnt correct I expect our march decisions will come electronically, not via snail mail. Should speed up the process . Maybe? *crosses fingers*

I'm hoping for early this year. They ninja changed their application page stuff to say they will communicate through email now, so unless that isnt correct I expect our march decisions will come electronically, not via snail mail. Should speed up the process . Maybe? *crosses fingers*

Ninja changed...love it :D

C/O 2023 will be true pass/fail. Just got the e-mail.

2 more days till March y'all. I have zero nails to bit. Gut wrenching nervous!