2018-2019 University of Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know what number on the alternate list they got to last year?
Since it's not posted on SDN, you might try contacting someone who was waitlisted last year and see if they know. Sorry I don't have more info!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else anxiously awaiting campus assignments??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!!! I keep checking my email again and again as if that will speed it up somehow. XD

Reactions: 2 users
For the people that were accepted how many LoRs did you send to them?

Five individual ones here.

Nice variation... I have 4 right now and debating if I should grovel for a 5th. Their website says that 5 is “highly recommended.”

Nice variation... I have 4 right now and debating if I should grovel for a 5th. Their website says that 5 is “highly recommended.”

Who wrote the 4 that you currently have? Professors, doctors, etc? I’m asking since there might be reason to get a 5th if there’s an aspect of your life that isn’t being covered with 4, such as research experience, volunteer work, leadership roles, etc. Just a thought!

Who wrote the 4 that you currently have? Professors, doctors, etc? I’m asking since there might be reason to get a 5th if there’s an aspect of your life that isn’t being covered with 4, such as research experience, volunteer work, leadership roles, etc. Just a thought!

All professors. The volunteer coordinators that “supervised” me don’t know me that well. There’s another volunteer gig I have but most of the people there don’t speak English as their native language and I don’t want a LoR with grammar/spelling mistakes. I haven’t done any research so no PI letter is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
All professors. The volunteer coordinators that “supervised” me don’t know me that well. There’s another volunteer gig I have but most of the people there don’t speak English as their native language and I don’t want a LoR with grammar/spelling mistakes. I haven’t done any research so no PI letter is possible.

Do you have a physician you shadowed that would be willing to write you a letter? I think it could help to have some variation of letters from different people. Also in general, I would rather shoot for quality letters rather than quantity. If you think you have 4 solid letters, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 5th. Just my opinion though!

Do you have a physician you shadowed that would be willing to write you a letter? I think it could help to have some variation of letters from different people. Also in general, I would rather shoot for quality letters rather than quantity. If you think you have 4 solid letters, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 5th. Just my opinion though!

I do, but SDN opinion is that physician letters don’t mean much.

I do, but SDN opinion is that physician letters don’t mean much.
Per KU's website: "We request letters from a variety of sources -- faculty, employers, supervisors, or other persons who know you well and can be regarded as objective evaluators."

I would use the physician's letter, even if just to add a little variety. Also, even though people say physician letters are just fluff, I do think schools like to see the letter just to ensure that you worked closely with a physician for a period of time. Additionally, if you've had a long-standing job, you might consider a letter from a supervisor (to replace a current professor's letter).

Just for variety's sake or to maybe give some inspiration, I used: ochem professor/colleague from my retake of the class, mentor/professor from grad school, former supervisor, organization sponsor for an honor society I was advisor for, and a colleague who worked closely with me every day. I think letters that arent necessarily the "traditional" ones are totally fine too, if you have like a club sponsor, supervisor, coworker, etc that you think could show another aspect of who you are.

The physician letter is probably fine too, if you are concerned you could ask if they think they could write a strong letter / say something like "I was hoping you could speak to x y z (things amcas/ku asks letter writers to consider)" and offer like, your personal statement/a reflection of your time with them/your CV for support. I think the importance is that they are not generic letters. If you feel it will be, 4 is fine!

Campus assignments are out! I'm going to Wichita!! Anyone else? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do they tell you their methodology for their campus assignments? Just curious. I personally live 20 minutes away from the KC campus and should I be accepted next cycle it would be kind of a bummer to be placed in Wichita.

Do they tell you their methodology for their campus assignments? Just curious. I personally live 20 minutes away from the KC campus and should I be accepted next cycle it would be kind of a bummer to be placed in Wichita.
There's a section of the secondary application where you can specify your campus preferences and your reasons for your choices. That would be where you could state that you live near KC and wish to be assigned to that campus.

Those of us on the waitlist... how are y'all doing? The next month can't pass fast enough...

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when we might hear about KMSL or if those have gone out yet? I know scholarship awards have started coming out but I wasn’t sure if we will hear back for the loan at the same time/wont hear back at all if we don’t get it/etc.

Anyone know when we might hear about KMSL or if those have gone out yet? I know scholarship awards have started coming out but I wasn’t sure if we will hear back for the loan at the same time/wont hear back at all if we don’t get it/etc.

Incase anyone is curious, I emailed about this and found out the first round of offers went out and they will likely do another round at the beginning of may based on how many people accepted the loan!

Has anyone heard back for the post bac program yet?
I got a phone call from Pamela today telling me I got one of the 12 spots. Good luck!

I asked admissions today and they said that they hope to activate the waitlist by the end of this week.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else still holding out on the waitlist? Think there’ll be much more movement?