2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you everyone for your input and amazing advice, it was very helpful! Just some follow-up questions:

1. In terms of finances, Cornell is costing me about 1/2 to 2/3 of what Michigan costs me (including the living costs associated with NYC). Cornell has given me significant financial aid, and I have talked to Michigan two times about at least matching some part of the financial aid (Michigan only gave me a little bit of scholarship). But, Michigan has not been receptive to matching, and Ms. Teener says there are no funds. Cornell has maintained silence on the debt free question when asked the office, because I don't think they will say anything about it until it actually happens (if it happens). And, my impression was that debt-free does seem to extend to current med students as well (a current M1 I talked to was very excited and hopeful of debt-free happening). And, I guess it's not stress about finances, but more of I am just not sure if additional loans are justified when Cornell seems to be just as good of an institution as Michigan (it's guaranteed to be 60K cheaper and maybe even more if debt free happens).

2. I have not yet watched the global health disparities panel from Michigan, but I hope to soon! I am beginning to believe that the global health opportunities at both institutions are relatively equal and both great. However, if I do seek a career in heme/ onc, would choosing Michigan be letting go of a great opportunity to research at Memorial Sloan? Does anyone know anything about the cancer center at Michigan?

Like I said, I am still leaning towards Michigan, but I just want to make sure the extra money I would be paying is worth it!

1. Like others have said, the best you can do is continue to ask as it approaches April 30.

2. The Rogel Cancer Center is a top 20 institution in cancer care/research. Memorial Sloan is consistently top 5. If you were pursuing an MD-PhD I would say this matters more but I'm not sure that it does as much for an MD candidate. More important than the reputation may be how receptive each cancer center is to MD students, or how interesting you find their research. Ask yourself: Are you excited more by the labs at one cancer center versus another? Are there PIs whom you see as potential mentors? Reach out to them. I can't speak to Cornell faculty, but Michigan faculty love to talk with prospective students who are on the fence. Maybe email Dr. Eric Fearon? He is the Director of Rogel Cancer Center and I found him very down to earth. Ms. Teener could definitely direct you to the right people too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

What's the email address for withdrawing? TIA

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to those on the WL!

Committed. See you bois at the tailgates.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when financial aid packaged come out? I got my estimate but was wondering when we would get our official packages.

For any that's received an II/Waitlist/Acceptance ...
Any advice on these secondaries?? I'm applying this cycle and really don't know how to answer these.

1) I have only psych research and retrospective clinical research, so it sounds like I have to leave the optional question blank right?? or could I express some interest in doing more bench research based on my clinical research? For my gap year, I'm doing clinical research but part of my job is to assist with translational research of genome sequening and tissue harvesting... maybe I could be like in the future I'd like to do something similar to this?
2) For the first prompt... seriously don't know what to say. I guess underserved would be my best bet, but do I talk about my past experiences? do I have to have some sort of medicine-changing idea? or do I just research their page and kind of do like a why us?

Thank you so much!

This might be the wrong thread to ask on, but does UMich consider you for med school only if you don’t make the cut for MSTP? Like if you don’t get in MSTP, will they still consider you for their MD program?

The fact UoM asks about biomedical lab research makes me wonder if I should not apply (worried about costs). All my work is epidemiology/social determinants of health research. 0 wet lab experience and was a non-science major (non trad post bac). Are they big with biomedical research?
I did not answer the question and my research background is in social psych, got an interview and acceptance (though not attending). Also, Michigan definitely has a thing for non-trad applicants. Michigan's curriculum has different pathways you can take during third year that aren't related to biomedical research so you have a shot if other parts of your app interest adcoms.

This might be the wrong thread to ask on, but does UMich consider you for med school only if you don’t make the cut for MSTP? Like if you don’t get in MSTP, will they still consider you for their MD program?

Yes, if you are rejected from MSTP you can send an email and ask to be transferred into the MD-only applicant pool. However, I’ve heard that it’s rare to get an interview invite in this way because you’re being added so late in the cycle. The MD admissions team is completely separate from the MSTP one, so the MD admissions office treats your application as a brand new one that just got submitted late in the season.

How do I withdraw from the waitlist? Should I email Ms Teener? Someone mentioned going to the portal but I believe they were talking about withdrawing an acceptance. Thanks in advance!