2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol fellow rural LGBTQ+ person checking in. I talked about that for my diversity statement and how it has helped me form my mission of decreasing LGBTQ+ healthcare disparities and help rural areas get more LGBTQ+ health resources. I talked about facing homophobia and having to be at ease with people who hated my existence without knowing me. And how the rural upbringing helped me learn to make the best of my situation even if you aren't given the most idea cards to play with. But I also dont have a strong desire to practice rural medicine (that may chance but I kinda wanna go into medical education to increase LGBTQ+ topics in the curriculum) so I dont think you need to say you want to go back to a rural area. Just show how the intersection of these 2 groups has given you a perspective that you wouldn't have if you only belonged to one of these groups. Hopefully we all get in!
I also talked about wanting to support LGBTQ+ health topics in medical school curricula! I actually was invited to attend a lecture at the medical school about LGBTQ+ health policy and was told by a medical student that he was happy to see how many non-LGBTQ+ folks turned up to the optional talk (it wasn't required, just for anyone interested), so I'm excited by the possibility of applying to such an LGBTQ+-friendly school and student body. I really like your idea about the intersection of those two backgrounds.

Members don't see this ad.

My link to the secondary doesn't work, should l email or call them? Or would someone be able to post a link that I can follow to this forum. Wasn't sure if the link is different for each applicant

Did you try copying and pasting it into your browser? Also try using a different browser. Whenever I had ones that didn't work one of those two things usually fixed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any MSTP applicants here? XD I'm not sure if it would look bad if I leave that optional essay blank, I'm struggling to write something original that I haven't already written in the MD PhD essays.

Reactions: 1 user
Any MSTP applicants here? XD I'm not sure if it would look bad if I leave that optional essay blank, I'm struggling to write something original that I haven't already written in the MD PhD essays.

I’m an MSTP app. I think you can treat optional as optional if you want.

I left it blank.

Has anyone's CASPer score actually been marked as received? Mine was supposedly delivered quite some time ago, but UMich still has it as not received.
+1... Not sure if we should contact the admissions office or just wait it out...?

+1... Not sure if we should contact the admissions office or just wait it out...?
I emailed them last week and they said each school had to download CASPer scores so that’s why it takes so long. She told me to call today if it still isn’t there so maybe I will later.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah ok that makes me feel better c: dang idk anyone who applied MSTP at my school so it's great to see people online lol.

Anyone else going the "Other" route on the first secondary question? I don't really like the Biological Sciences/Biomedical Sciences label (its not like I am going MD/PhD or anything). Thinking of doing a "Academic Medicine" or a "Biomedical Research" label. Thoughts?

Academic Medicine would allow me to talk about research and teaching, two things I have done extensively and want to continue to do.

Is it ok to leave the optional essay blank? I've done wet lab research, but it was for organic chemistry. I've never done wet lab biological or biochemical research. That and my essay 1 and diversity essay will already both be similar and discuss the same area of research in different ways.

I emailed them last week and they said each school had to download CASPer scores so that’s why it takes so long. She told me to call today if it still isn’t there so maybe I will later.

Any update?

Called them, they said they're having communication issues between their system and CASPer's. She said it should be fixed within the next day or two and that there was nothing we needed to do or worry about on our end.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have two (maybe silly) questions.

1) For the question: Is your generation the first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree? My parents came here from other countries. Neither have bachelor's degree but one is a physician (they go straight from high school to med school in their country). So technically the answer is YES, but I hesitate to put that. Do I put Yes or No?

2) For the question: Did you complete a Post Bac Program (not including Master's Degree programs)?

I did an informal, do it yourself post bac at a community college. I just took a few prereqs I was missing. Is that a Yes or No?

Thank you!

1) For the question: Is your generation the first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree? My parents came here from other countries. Neither have bachelor's degree but one is a physician (they go straight from high school to med school in their country). So technically the answer is YES, but I hesitate to put that. Do I put Yes or No?

2) For the question: Did you complete a Post Bac Program (not including Master's Degree programs)?

I did an informal, do it yourself post bac at a community college. I just took a few prereqs I was missing. Is that a Yes or No?

Thank you!
You already know the answer to the first question. Not sure sure about the second, probably say yes

Thank you!

If your physician parent has an M.B.B.S that got converted to an M.D. here, then thats still technically a bachelors. So I would put no. For the second one I would probably say yes

Called them, they said they're having communication issues between their system and CASPer's. She said it should be fixed within the next day or two and that there was nothing we needed to do or worry about on our end.

still no update on my side as of yet, hopefully soon

Has anyone noticed the discrepancy between MCAT scores reported on MSAR (518) vs their website (90th percentile, which I believe is around 514)? I can’t post the link but you can find it on the 2017 Entering Class Profile.

Has anyone noticed the discrepancy between MCAT scores reported on MSAR (518) vs their website (90th percentile, which I believe is around 514)? I can’t post the link but you can find it on the 2017 Entering Class Profile.
Accepted vs Matriculated essentially

You already know the answer to the first question. Not sure sure about the second, probably say yes

Just to update. I called them about my second question and they said no. They are specifically asking about a formal post-bacc program. So anyone else who did an informal one, say no.

Noticed that as well. Part of me wonders if instead of saying 96th percentile they just generalized it to 90th. Although according to MSAR while accepted = median of 518, matriculated = median of 515 (92nd percentile). So yeah they might just be talking about the matriculated class.

Noticed that as well. Part of me wonders if instead of saying 96th percentile they just generalized it to 90th. Although according to MSAR while accepted = median of 518, matriculated = median of 515 (92nd percentile). So yeah they might just be talking about the matriculated class.
Definitely seems possible they generalized but also median and average aren’t always the same so could be due to that

Mine is complete now, received casper.

+2, also complete. I took CASPer on 6/21 so it just got marked as scored yesterday. Seems like UM may have been just waiting for that before downloading everyone's

for those of you answering the optional question - how much in-depth did you go regarding your actual research (considering that we already described it on the AMCAS primary)? did you mostly focus on how your research affected your view/perspective of the field and shaped your goals for continuing research?

did you mostly focus on how your research affected your view/perspective of the field and shaped your goals for continuing research?

I did exactly this. Didn't really talk much about what I studied except 1-2 brief sentences.

19 IIs sent out today, anyone here? If so, mind sharing stats and complete dates?

Reactions: 1 users
I got an II today! Submitted June 29th. OOS.
LM: 83

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Been dreaming about coming here since high school and just got an II today! I'm IS too, so this was a huge surprise!!

Reactions: 3 users
Been dreaming about coming here since high school and just got an II today! I'm IS too, so this was a huge surprise!!

Oh wow! CONGRATS! I thought IS IIs wouldnt start until much later in the cycle, mind sharing stats?

19 IIs sent out today, anyone here? If so, mind sharing stats and complete dates?

I got an II today! First one of the cycle, pumped af. GPA 3.96, MCAT 524, large public school kid. Submitted my app 7/2 but was complete with everyone that got CASPER scores in once they sorted that stuff out (I think end of last week)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Also II! OOS but ties here. I submitted 7/1 and was complete this week with everyone else

Reactions: 2 users
Also II! OOS but ties here. I submitted 7/1 and was complete this week with everyone else

Congrats to everyone who got an II today :)
Lets hope next Monday brings good news for more of us!

Reactions: 3 users
The stats of the people that got IIs are insane

Reactions: 9 users
wow nice! This is exciting. I'm still waiting on my casper score to get in which should be by the end of next week, so hopefully 2 mondays from now I'll have some good news :)

Hi all,
I recently received the secondary for this school and had questions about the optional essay. My research background is Social Psychology so I don't know if and how to discuss this in the essay since it asks about lab-based biomedical research.

Hi all,
I recently received the secondary for this school and had questions about the optional essay. My research background is Social Psychology so I don't know if and how to discuss this in the essay since it asks about lab-based biomedical research.

you probably shouldn't discuss it then, especially if it doesn't have anything to do with you wanting to be ia physician scientist in the future. I left mine blank because of that line despite having plenty of biomedical research since I'm not really interested in staying involved in it in the future.

you probably shouldn't discuss it then, especially if it doesn't have anything to do with you wanting to be ia physician scientist in the future. I left mine blank because of that line despite having plenty of biomedical research since I'm not really interested in staying involved in it in the future.

The thing is I do want to do research in the future but something that is more interdisciplinary not just biomedical. I talked about that in my first essay but didn't mention my research experience, just coursework and extracurricular activities. I'm guessing I can tie my research into the 2nd essay somehow?

The thing is I do want to do research in the future but something that is more interdisciplinary not just biomedical. I talked about that in my first essay but didn't mention my research experience, just coursework and extracurricular activities. I'm guessing I can tie my research into the 2nd essay somehow?

Well the optional essay doesn't ask about any research it specifically says physician scientist with focuses more on biomedical wet lab research stuff so idk. Reading earlier in this thread most people agree it'll just look ignorant to ignore that part and talk about any research. Choose research for your first one and write about it in there is what I would recommend. Personally I just left it off completely since they can see it in my primary already.

Well the optional essay doesn't ask about any research it specifically says physician scientist with focuses more on biomedical wet lab research stuff so idk. Reading earlier in this thread most people agree it'll just look ignorant to ignore that part and talk about any research. Choose research for your first one and write about it in there is what I would recommend. Personally I just left it off completely since they can see it in my primary already.
Sounds good. I'll just leave it blank.

Only 4 IIs today..my odds aint that good lol