2018-2019 University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im trying to fill out the interview info stuff but Im getting an error when trying to access the portal. Was working yesterday though. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also for the what sets you apart from other applicants question, are they pretty much asking for a diversity essay? Or more of a why we believe we are the most qualified like you would expect at a job interview?

Congrats to everyone getting interview invites!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how U of R send out invites? Is it by secondary submission date or alphabetical or even random? I have a friend who got an interview who submitted the secondary 5 days after me, and we have basically the same stats.

Interviewed here last cycle and chiming in - you do have prompts to answer if you receive an II here.

Was it just the one interview with a faculty member? Or did you also have a med student interview?

Edit: their portal makes it sound like just one interview since they say check back 2 days before to see who your interviewer is.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how U of R send out invites? Is it by secondary submission date or alphabetical or even random? I have a friend who got an interview who submitted the secondary 5 days after me, and we have basically the same stats.

I just called and they said that the applications are sent for review randomly.

Anybody know the post-ii acceptance rate for this school?

Anybody know the post-ii acceptance rate for this school?

It's actually kinda low. I think it was like ~35-40% according to a US news Excel sheet I saw on Reddit.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an II here later, anybody experienced with the school want to share a bit about their perspective on living in Rochester? I love the school, but I'm a tad wary of the city. It's easily the coldest place I'm applying and it seems a bit isolated from everything (which is fine, if the city is cool).

It's actually kinda low. I think it was like ~35-40% according to a US news Excel sheet I saw on Reddit.
On USNews it says it was 47.7% this past year, so maybe they were a little bit nicer, ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same! Hopefully being early gives us a bit of a leg up.

From what I saw on last year's thread we can expect to hear back around Oct. 20th. So that'll be nice to not have to wait super long. Would love to get an acceptance nice and early to make other interviews less stressful. There's a few schools that I wouldn't even bother going to interviews for if I get an acceptance elsewhere just to save some money (although I guess that would risk me missing out on more scholarships from those schools).

From what I saw on last year's thread we can expect to hear back around Oct. 20th. So that'll be nice to not have to wait super long. Would love to get an acceptance nice and early to make other interviews less stressful. There's a few schools that I wouldn't even bother going to interviews for if I get an acceptance elsewhere just to save some money (although I guess that would risk me missing out on more scholarships from those schools).
Agreed, but I feel like after interviewing, 2 months will still take forever to pass by haha

Agreed, but I feel like after interviewing, 2 months will still take forever to pass by haha

true that will suck. I remember the one month for the mcat felt like forever. Well let's hope we'll be too preoccupied with other interviews to think about it haha

Does anyone have information on how students are selected for the Academic Research Track (ART) program?

I have an II here later, anybody experienced with the school want to share a bit about their perspective on living in Rochester? I love the school, but I'm a tad wary of the city. It's easily the coldest place I'm applying and it seems a bit isolated from everything (which is fine, if the city is cool).
Can u post the secondaries here? TY

There are no required secondary essays. However, if you get an II they send you a form to fill out about your experiences since it's a closed-book interview.

Once you get an interview they ask you to list your 4 most meaningful experiences in 25 words or less for each.

They then ask you for a brief paragraph on an important accomplishment and a brief paragraph on what you have to offer over other applicants.

II today! OOS URM LM: 71 Submitted: 7/12

Reactions: 2 users
Once you get an interview they ask you to list your 4 most meaningful experiences in 25 words or less for each.

They then ask you for a brief paragraph on an important accomplishment and a brief paragraph on what you have to offer over other applicants.
Doesn't this seem kind of redundant? Part of the AMCAS application is most meaningful experiences; why would I have 4 most meaningful experiences that I didn't already discuss in my primary application?

Doesn't this seem kind of redundant? Part of the AMCAS application is most meaningful experiences; why would I have 4 most meaningful experiences that I didn't already discuss in my primary application?

the interview is blind so the interviewer will only see this information. You can repeat the three you put on amcas and just add a fourth. You only get 25 words for each one though so it should be a super short description

Reactions: 3 users
My letter status reads as incomplete in the portal, even though the letters all show up as transferred. Anyone else having this issue?

My letter status reads as incomplete in the portal, even though the letters all show up as transferred. Anyone else having this issue?

Even though my letters were in long before I finished the secondary, it still took a day after I submitted my secondary to be marked as complete.

Anyone on this thread interview here yet? Interviewing next week and would love to hear about your experience and/or general impressions of the school, thanks. :)

Anyone on this thread interview here yet? Interviewing next week and would love to hear about your experience and/or general impressions of the school, thanks. :)

You get two interviewers. Could be two faculty members, one faculty and a med student, an MD and a faculty, etc. Clicked very well with one of my two interviewers and not so well with the other so they did a decent job of trying to pair people well. School itself seems really nice. Everyone is super nice and they really focus on happiness.

The tour was ok but a little boring since I had already wandered around a bunch earlier.

On that note, prepare to have to either spend a lot of time bored or just wandering around because there is a ton of down time during the interview. Group discussion was pretty casual. It seemed to me like more of a way to eliminate people who can't work well in groups rather than anything else and my group was all very good at bouncing ideas off each other and respecting one another. Try not to dominate the discussion but don't get caught up in listening where you don't add anything.

Obviously I don't know how well I did yet since I won't know if I got an acceptance until sometime in october so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Edit: oh and also forgot to mention they give you an ipad to use for the day. I didn't really use mine at all throughout and actually almost dropped it at one point which almost gave me a heart attack lol. It does have the case for the group discussion on it though which you can read through ahead of time if you're bored. The map of the school was also somewhat helpful on it although I still managed to get lost. Everyone is super nice though like I mentioned so just ask anyone for directions if needed.

My experience was exactly the same as freedoctor17’s. I’ll also add that the students I talked to were extremely helpful/jovial and really seemed to love the place. Definitely enjoyed my day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am wondering if there is any current medical student of Rochester in this thread that can help answer some questions about the shcool? Thanks!

Also anyone know when the interviewer information will be available on the portal? I am interviewing 9/19, would like to know who my interviewers are but the information is still not on my portal.

Also anyone know when the interviewer information will be available on the portal? I am interviewing 9/19, would like to know who my interviewers are but the information is still not on my portal.
At least 24 hours before. Not sure if it is sooner than that.

Mine showed up 2 days before.

Any recent IIs here? Silence since my completion email on 8/9 :(

II received yesterday! MCAT 515-519, GPA 3.85-3.95, OOS, completed on 7/14. First available date is 10/30!

Any recent IIs here? Silence since my completion email on 8/9 :(

Seems like they're moving kinda slowly this year. I interviewed in early September here during the 2016-2017 cycle, but I received the II on 7/22 after submitting at the end of June. Too bad a new MCAT got in the way submitting early this year. :(

Has anyone heard of any IIs for submissions after July?

submitted secondary on 7/21 so maybe there's still hope.

II just now, super excited! I feel like everywhere has been so quiet, I was very surprised to get this one. Best of luck to you all.

LM ~75, OOS, nontraditional.

Reactions: 4 users
II just now, super excited! I feel like everywhere has been so quiet, I was very surprised to get this one. Best of luck to you all.

LM ~75, OOS, nontraditional.

Congrats! When were you complete?