2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recommend doing the essay just to show that you have an interest in a unique aspect of the school. Ultimately, you might choose not to participate, but it shows that you thought about it. But it's totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with!
Ya. My problem is that I’m interested in the public health one but then I wrote about public health for the first question and then I plan on touching on publi health again for the disparities question and I don’t know how to make them all sound different lol

Members don't see this ad.

Ya. My problem is that I’m interested in the public health one but then I wrote about public health for the first question and then I plan on touching on publi health again for the disparities question and I don’t know how to make them all sound different lol
I listed two programs that interested me and kept it generally short and sweet. I don't think you have to go into a lot of detail. Maybe just say something along the lines of "As I have mentioned, I have a strong interest in public health so ___ concentration would be perfect for me. It could help me as a physician because ___." For the most part, I haven't written a TON for any of the essays, save the one about health disparities because there's just way too much to say lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted on 7/19. Anyone know of non-trad success stories here? MCAT is near the median, but my GPA is on the far low end of their acceptance last year.

Is electronic signature acceptable for the residency form?

Decided to throw my hat in for USF. Just submitted the secondary, but I have a 511 MCAT and am a TX resident so I am really not expecting to hear back from these guys eventhough I have a great gpa.

Is anyone else having LOR problems here? All of my LORs were received by AMCAS and I assigned them to USF (it is a committee packet) but on the USF portal it says they have not received it.

M1 here. I just started, but lmk if you have any questions about MCOM!

@Dr. Scribe do you know if the new downtown campus will the be the only one for classes starting Fall 2019?

Unfortunately, I don’t know that. The administration has been very vague about when the new campus will be in use. I’ll report back when I know though

has anyone been able to submit their secondary using the amcas fee waiver? I forwarded them the approval email like they asked but I haven't heard anything back

has anyone been able to submit their secondary using the amcas fee waiver? I forwarded them the approval email like they asked but I haven't heard anything back
I did, it took me about 4 days to hear back from them, but it was approved

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else catch this tidbit right above the submit button

"I understand that University of South Florida (USF) programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in Florida. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding higher education and professional licensure, USF is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of Florida. USF cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the state of Florida. Please contact applicable licensure boards(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside of Florida."

Does this essentially mean there's a good chance that you may not get liscensure outside FL? Also not sure what they do that prevents their students from getting a liscence in any state. Kinda makes me worried as an OOS person that isn't sure of where I'll end up

"I understand that University of South Florida (USF) programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in Florida. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding higher education and professional licensure, USF is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of Florida. USF cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the state of Florida. Please contact applicable licensure boards(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside of Florida."

Does this essentially mean there's a good chance that you may not get liscensure outside FL? Also not sure what they do that prevents their students from getting a liscence in any state. Kinda makes me worried as an OOS person that isn't sure of where I'll end up
If you look at their match list, the vast majority stay in Florida (pretty typical for any state school), but a good number go to other big metro areas like NYC, Philly, Boston and Chicago. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I think this is pretty standard. It's like saying "we teach the curriculum that will get you licensed to practice in the state of florida. Though other states may have similar licensing criteria, we cant guarentee you that you'll meet the requirements for other states."

I'm sure all med schools say this somewhere. An MD at Usf is as good as an MD at any other US school

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Does anyone currently have their application under review?

Where does it say if it's being reviewed?
They send a complete e-mail. That says:

Dear Mr/Ms [Name].

We have received your verified AMCAS application and all related secondary application documents. Your completed application will be reviewed in the near future to determine your competitiveness for an interview.

Our interview season begins in August and goes through April. If you are eligible for an interview, you may be invited during any given week throughout the admission cycle. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email to confirm a date for your interview.

Reactions: 1 users
They send a complete e-mail. That says:

Dear Mr/Ms [Name].

We have received your verified AMCAS application and all related secondary application documents. Your completed application will be reviewed in the near future to determine your competitiveness for an interview.

Our interview season begins in August and goes through April. If you are eligible for an interview, you may be invited during any given week throughout the admission cycle. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email to confirm a date for your interview.
Pretty sure everyone gets this email....

For the part of the secondary where you fill out the residency form, what are we supposed to put in the box for "USF ID"? I don't see a specific assigned ID number from Morsani anywhere in their emails or in my secondary portal... do they just want the AMCAS ID number here?

For the part of the secondary where you fill out the residency form, what are we supposed to put in the box for "USF ID"? I don't see a specific assigned ID number from Morsani anywhere in their emails or in my secondary portal... do they just want the AMCAS ID number here?
I didn’t fill that part out. Since it’s attached as part of your app I figured they would figure it out

OOS but very strong Ties to Florida, including my parents have a residence. Would a 509 be a deal breaker trying to apply to this school?

OOS but very strong Ties to Florida, including my parents have a residence. Would a 509 be a deal breaker trying to apply to this school?

USF is one of the more OOS friendly Florida schools, but they clearly favor high MCAT's. If you really want to attend I'd send an app in, but just be aware of their average stats!

I'd send the app in but a 509 is around 2 points below the 10th percentile for matriculated students here--so I prepared for the worst, and hope for the best!

Were you able to communicate your ties to Florida? I am OOS as well but have very strong ties to Florida with my parents living there and my grand parents... also lived in the Cape Coral area for a summer...

Got a II! excited because this is my dream school, secondary submitted 8/1/2018

Reactions: 3 users
  1. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)
Does this mean we only answer this question if we got a grade less than a B?

II today, complete early July. Hope to see some of you there!

II! Thank God, so happy to finally say that...

IS, LM 75, Core-MD, complete 8/1. Interview dates starting end of this month through beginning of September.

Anyone having trouble accessing the portal to schedule their interview? The page won't load for me for some reason :/

Anyone having trouble accessing the portal to schedule their interview? The page won't load for me for some reason :/
I had to go back to the secondary email and access the portal that way.

II. Select program. Complete 7/18 OOS

In general, manifest academic difficulties typically show with less than a B or withdrawals. Do you have more details on your situation? I think it might be a hard sell to say that a class that you got an A- or whatever in, you experienced academic difficulties during.
I got a B in biochem, but I had to really really work for that B. I wrote about how I had to change my study strategies to make it work. Hopefully I'm not missing the mark. Thanks for the input!

II!! Select program. OOS, but I'm a PA native. Do people only get selected for interview at one program, or can we interview at both? My preference was indicated for Core.

II today for SELECT. OOS. See you soon, Allentown interviewees!

EDIT: Stats: 3.6// 518, Complete ~7/12

Last edited: