2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can those of you that got SELECT interviews post your stats?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

II SELECT. OOS. Stats in signature. Super pumped!!!

II!!!!! select OOS complete 7/10 LM 74
I fell in love with this program and I am so excited to interview here

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we still do a scholarly concentration in the SELECT program? One of the main reasons I applied to USF is because they have a scholarly concentration that interests me, but I don't want to say that at the interview if they don't offer it in the SELECT program lol.

Can we still do a scholarly concentration in the SELECT program? One of the main reasons I applied to USF is because they have a scholarly concentration that interests me, but I don't want to say that at the interview if they don't offer it in the SELECT program lol.

Pretty sure that the scholarly concentrations aren't offered in the SELECT program (I guess the SELECT program is kind of like a concentration on steroids in a way lol). Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am OOS but only applied CORE due to this fact.

Also, does anyone know how much harder it is for OOS to get into CORE vs. SELECT? I applied only CORE but have stats around the median OOS numbers as per MSAR. Something tells me that I ****ed up by only applying CORE.

Pretty sure that the scholarly concentrations aren't offered in the SELECT program (I guess the SELECT program is kind of like a concentration on steroids in a way lol). Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am OOS but only applied CORE due to this fact.

Also, does anyone know how much harder it is for OOS to get into CORE vs. SELECT? I applied only CORE but have stats around the median OOS numbers as per MSAR. Something tells me that I ****ed up by only applying CORE.

You may pursue a concentration while in SELECT, but the extra emphasis on education outside of the normal medical curriculum tends to discourage SELECT students from pursuing it. I believe that it leads to a graduate certificate in medical leadership (or something like that). So it really just depends on what you want to do/ what you can maintain. Core is more heavily biased for in state applicants than SELECT, but I am not sure by how much.

Good luck everyone!

You didn’t. Even if you mark your preference as CORE, they still consider you for SELECT. SELECT is preferred for OOS, but it’s not clear by how much. Plenty of OOS people get CORE interviews.

SELECT is somewhat prefered for OOS for a couple reasons. 1) I don’t believe it is heavily funded with state dollars, which is why *everyone* has to pay the OOS tuition tag less any scholarships. GL getting IS students to optionally pay double what they would have paid in CORE. 2) The clinical rotations are not in FL, so I bet they don’t entirely expect people to practice in FL after med school. Thus it is better to send OOS to this program rather than IS since you want the IS to stick around with their ties and become FL physicians.

There are definitely more but that gives the gist. For a better idea of OOS chances for CORE, you can probably look at OOS interview and acceptance data from the other FL schools, which do not have a program like SELECT.

I selected Core Only though. I didn't just prefer it over SELECT, I basically ONLY applied to it I think.

I waited all day to schedule because I was working and there is nothing left in Tampa, only Allentown is available :( if you have a strong preference schedule immediately!!!

It’s just a preference. If you select CORE Only, they can consider you for SELECT. Search last year’s (or the year before’s) thread. There are at least two posters who selected CoRE and were interviewed for SELECt. I doubt it’s common but it does happen.

That somewhat makes me feel better now lol. In hindsight, I probably should have just picked the option that maximizes my chances. The SELECT option looks like a good program anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to the first batch of IIs rolling in!
I'm a fresh MS1 here, so if anyone has questions, feel free to ask :)

How's interview day? Not that I've gotten an II yet, but USF is home lolol.
For CORE interview day is fairly relaxed! They keep you busy with things like tours and curriculum reviews so you can't get /too/ anxious about the interviews. Then you have two hour long interviews to finish the day, but mine at least weren't super high stress. More like a conversation/resume overview

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students comment on their experience at the SELECT interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are most people interviewing in Allentown flying into Philly/Trenton? The flights to Allentown were hundreds of dollars more for me

Are most people interviewing in Allentown flying into Philly/Trenton? The flights to Allentown were hundreds of dollars more for me
I would suggest flying to Philly. It's a hour an a half drive to Allentown from there.

Can any current students comment on their experience at the SELECT interview?
I interviewed at Allentown for SELECT. It's not bad. The usual talk about the curriculum and what makes SELECT special, a tour of the hospital, a lunch with current students/faculty that can make it, and then the interview (or more touring. The group was split in two and we swapped). It's pretty chill. Just be honest, be passionate/excited, and be yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys know how interviews work for ED applicants? Do they offer interviews to anyone who makes the ED cutoff, or is there is more screening after that? Also any idea how many ED applicants there are per cycle usually?

From my interview day, the interviews are the same as RD candidates. Of a group of 15, only about 2 or 3 people that openly stated hey were applying ED outside of the 2 that said they were applying ED but were actually part of the 3+4 BS to MD program. The rest of the group was all RD. I think pretty much everyone who applies ED gets an interview as long as you meet the minimum MCAT and don’t have red flags or a genuinely bad application.
Ahh okay thanks! Do most people who get interviews end up getting admitted?

Ahh okay thanks! Do most people who get interviews end up getting admitted?
So IIRC they said they interview about 10% of applicants, which is around 600. Incoming class is 180ish. But, there's always people who withdraw, so it's kind of a hard stat to measure. Not to mention it's variable depending on when you interview too, just statistically speaking.

So IIRC they said they interview about 10% of applicants, which is around 600. Incoming class is 180ish. But, there's always people who withdraw, so it's kind of a hard stat to measure. Not to mention it's variable depending on when you interview too, just statistically speaking.
Are those II evenly split between core and select? Also when does interview season end and what is the chance of getting an II later in the cycle? I know some schools send out most of their II early on and only a few get II from the rereview pile later on

Are those II evenly split between core and select? Also when does interview season end and what is the chance of getting an II later in the cycle? I know some schools send out most of their II early on and only a few get II from the rereview pile later on

So you're probably not gonna like this answer, but it's what you'll get from pretty much every school. Interviews go as long as the school needs to fill spots, waitlist or accepted. I think I got my first rejection in late March or April. And even then, spots will shift everywhere as people make final choices.

I totally understand the worry, but there's not much point to guesstimating a lot of these things. Once the app is submitted all you can do is wait, as uncomfortable and worrisome as that can be.

Just be realistic with yourself and your application, and if you're still waiting around maybe late December, it might be a good time to reach out to some resources and consider how you can improve your application. I don't mean to say that you wouldn't still get an acceptance, just that it's good to have appropriate expectations at all times.

So you're probably not gonna like this answer, but it's what you'll get from pretty much every school. Interviews go as long as the school needs to fill spots, waitlist or accepted. I think I got my first rejection in late March or April. And even then, spots will shift everywhere as people make final choices.

I totally understand the worry, but there's not much point to guesstimating a lot of these things. Once the app is submitted all you can do is wait, as uncomfortable and worrisome as that can be.

Just be realistic with yourself and your application, and if you're still waiting around maybe late December, it might be a good time to reach out to some resources and consider how you can improve your application. I don't mean to say that you wouldn't still get an acceptance, just that it's good to have appropriate expectations at all times.
Ya you’re right. I was mostly wondering if this school has a real rolling admissions cycle. It seems more schools are leaning towards handing out an equal number of acceptances at different times of the cycle

Ya you’re right. I was mostly wondering if this school has a real rolling admissions cycle. It seems more schools are leaning towards handing out an equal number of acceptances at different times of the cycle
Yeah like Mya said, it's more rolling style. I got the impression they interview high MCAT, ED, and just generally really high applicants first. Then after a while it's basically a guaranteed waitlist, but then those people get pulled quite a bit once final school choices are made.

To those who interviewed in SELECT. What was the interview structure like? was it one interview for one hour or two interviews for half an hour?

Nothing but silence from my own alma mater... wonder if they're sending out SELECT II's before CORE. Anyone know?

Anyone from the SELECT interview have feedback from today?

My advice is to not bomb your interview like me. :laugh: Other than that everyone was very friendly and the students and faculty oozed excitement about the school. Seems like a great place to be!

My advice is to not bomb your interview like me. :laugh: Other than that everyone was very friendly and the students and faculty oozed excitement about the school. Seems like a great place to be!
I’m sure you did fine man! You gotta believe

What was the interview format like? Was it with one person or two?

Varied by person. Mine was with two. Overall relaxing day!
I feel like with two people in one hour, it's pretty hard to go that far in-depth before they ask you if you have any questions. I prefer that anyways haha. Thanks for the info!

Is getting a 514 good enough for USF these days lol
USF is aiming to be #1 man. Nothing under a 524 complimented by an app including curing cancer and world hunger is worthy of this school /s

Does anyone know what time the student social the night before the interview is (SELECT in allentown)? Trying to book the cheapest travel as possible but not sure what time I should be aiming for

Does anyone know what time the student social the night before the interview is (SELECT in allentown)? Trying to book the cheapest travel as possible but not sure what time I should be aiming for
Mine was at 6!

Just curious in Allentown, do they still go Panera or did they find a better place?
if you go here be prepared to eat your weight in Panera, that's always what they get for free food

IS w/ a 520 MCAT. Waiting for USF to love me