2018-2019 University of Texas Long School of Medicine at San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive an II that transmitted in early july?

II earlier today!! First of the cycle :) Transmitted 7/12, IS, LizzyM 72

Reactions: 1 user
Was anyone able to sign up (or "reserve") for the Casper test that isn't applying to another school requiring Casper? For me, when I go to reserve a spot, and Long SoM isn't on the list of schools to submit scores to, I am unable to finish the reservation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody hear from Long in the past few days?

Reactions: 2 users
Any mid june transmission people get an II yet?

Wondering if anyone who interviewed on the 3rd could share their thoughts on interview day?

Wondering if anyone wo interviewed on the 3rd could share their thoughts on interview day?
I love it, much more than I thought I would. Some things I noted:

Everyone is legitimately friendly, noncompetitive environment
CIRCLE curriculum (w/ shortened pre-clinical) has been in place for years
Administration is receptive to feedback on curriculum
Up to 4 months of dedicated Step 1 prep (but you can, for example, use 8 weeks for prep then the rest for electives, traveling, etc., apparently someone took Step 1 and had baby the next day lol)
A lot of MD faculty
Exams are modeled after Step 1/NBME exams
UWorld is provided
eBooks are provided
Anatomy is dissection-based (rather than prosection)
Dedicated ultrasound training
A bunch of interesting distinctions (like basic/clinical/translational research, medical ethics)
Great match list (for example, best ortho results in TX a couple of years ago, #2 overall match results in TX)
Gold's Gym membership included, intramural sports are popular
Tons of clubs
Oh, and the best breakfast and lunch on the TX interview trail so far lol

Reactions: 9 users
I love it, much more than I thought I would. Some things I noted:

Everyone is legitimately friendly, noncompetitive environment
CIRCLE curriculum (w/ shortened pre-clinical) has been in place for years
Administration is receptive to feedback on curriculum
Up to 4 months of dedicated Step 1 prep (but you can, for example, use 8 weeks for prep then the rest for electives, traveling, etc., apparently someone took Step 1 and had baby the next day lol)
A lot of MD faculty
Exams are modeled after Step 1/NBME exams
UWorld is provided
eBooks are provided
Anatomy is dissection-based (rather than prosection)
Dedicated ultrasound training
A bunch of interesting distinctions (like basic/clinical/translational research, medical ethics)
Great match list (for example, best ortho results in TX a couple of years ago, #2 overall match results in TX)
Gold's Gym membership included, intramural sports are popular
Tons of clubs
Oh, and the best breakfast and lunch on the TX interview trail so far lol
Awesome! Thanks so much for your detailed response; I’m even more excited for my interview now than I was before :D. I hope your interviews went well! From what I can gather the interviews are just traditional, right? Also were yours open or closed file? Thanks so much :)

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome! Thanks so much for your detailed response; I’m even more excited for my interview now than I was before :D. I hope your interviews went well! From what I can gather the interviews are just traditional, right? Also were yours open or closed file? Thanks so much :)
2 traditional open file 30 minute interviews either before or after lunch. Pretty simple questions like why medicine? Greatest challenge? What speciality do you want to be? Great school, very friendly people! Good luck!!!

Reactions: 6 users
so has Long been silent for everyone else too?

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know if Long does a student mixer the night before interview day like other schools? Trying to plan my travel schedule

Does anyone know if MSTP applicants need to send our casper scores to them? I never received an email about it.

I have an MSTP II and have spoken to the director twice and have heard nothing about CASPer scores.

I have an MSTP II and have spoken to the director twice and have heard nothing about CASPer scores.
when did you submit for the MSTP? stats? Still waiting patiently since the email Dr. C sent out saying interview decisions were coming.

Submitted June 1 and was verified soon after. ~3.9 cGPA/sGPA. 100th percentile MCAT. Stats-wise I am competitive everywhere, so I am not sure I am a good standard to judge against.

Submitted June 1 and was verified soon after. ~3.9 cGPA/sGPA. 100th percentile MCAT. Stats-wise I am competitive everywhere, so I am not sure I am a good standard to judge against.
gotcha. I appreciate that. Just curious, with those stats you are competitive for the top MSTP's in the country. What made you apply to Long?

I met the director when he was recruiting. It was a very positive experience and it was clear he and others in the administration really care about the quality of their program. I am looking for a research community I want to be a part of. I more or less "brand-shopped" my undergrad. While I wouldn't change anything, I am considering a lot more than just reputation, ranking, and prestige this time around. Plus, its hard to beat the cost of living. I have 8 years on a stipend to worry about with no outside support.
gotcha. I appreciate that. Just curious, with those stats you are competitive for the top MSTP's in the country. What made you apply to Long?

Reactions: 5 users
I met the director when he was recruiting. It was a very positive experience and it was clear he and others in the administration really care about the quality of their program. I am looking for a research community I want to be a part of. I more or less "brand-shopped" my undergrad. While I wouldn't change anything, I am considering a lot more than just reputation, ranking, and prestige this time around. Plus, its hard to beat the cost of living. I have 8 years on a stipend to worry about with no outside support.

I recently interviewed here, and was impressed with how much the administration cares about the curriculum and are always trying to improve the program. Everyone here I met was genuinely nice and seemed to enjoy their time at Long. Interviews were one on one and very relaxing, one student and one faculty. They also have the 2nd most competitive match statistics in Texas (99%) and give you months to study for the STEP 1. San Antonio is really afforable, which is something that draws me to the school as well.

Last edited:
So TMDSAS application was transmitted 6/26 and received verification email 7/7...Im getting nervous lol, how long did it take for II??

Last edited:
So TMDSAS application was transmitted 6/26 and received verification email 7/7...Im getting nervous lol, how long did it take for II??
I’m kind of feeling the same way haha I also got the verification email on 7/7. What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking

I’m kind of feeling the same way haha I also got the verification email on 7/7. What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking

Lower than average stats for this school so I guess I am not that surprised... IS, URM, decent ECs, from a border town. I know they say they do a holistic review of applicants and don't just look at scores but idk how true that is lol

Last edited:
Lower than average stats for this school so I guess I am not that surprised... 504 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, IS, URM, decent ECs, from a border town. I know they say they do a holistic review of applicants and don't just look at scores but idk how true that is lol

Hey, don’t worry. I’m a reapp from two years ago and my stats were 3.9 GPA, 499 MCAT, IS, URM, lots of ECs, and excellent LOR. Also, I submitted my app really late due to waiting on MCAT scores so late August. I still received three II. To that end, just breathe. It’s only August, we have until December-January.

Reactions: 5 users
Man I’ve been verified by long since late may and haven’t heard from them

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, don’t worry. I’m a reapp from two years ago and my stats were 3.9 GPA, 499 MCAT, IS, URM, lots of ECs, and excellent LOR. Also, I submitted my app really late due to waiting on MCAT scores so late August. I still received three II. To that end, just breathe. It’s only August, we have until December-January.

Thank you @ThunderDog this comfort was needed! Much appreciated, seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
II today at 2:35 pm!! I received the verification email on 5/21. I am IS. 77 LizzyM.
Dates were all on Fridays, late August and Early September

Reactions: 7 users
II yesterday in the morning. I was complete late May, OOS

II just now about 20 minutes ago! Transmitted 6/22

Reactions: 3 users
II about 1.5 hours ago!!! Transmitted 5/22. LOR sent early July. 3.86 cGPA, 68 LizzieM, and IS!

Should I be concerned about not having an II from Long? Application was transmitted late May and I got the application received email on June 16th. IS, LizzyM 78.

Should I be concerned about not having an II from Long? Application was transmitted late May and I got the application received email on June 16th. IS, LizzyM 78.

Nah fam I’m with you transmitted 5/14 got the application recieved email pretty early too

were you guys ever invited to take a CASPER test from here since there are no secondaries?

A very good friend of mine got an II a week or so ago. They have lower stats than mine and the same ECs. The only difference is that they are a urm, they also got the transmitted email in may, so idk what long is really looking for.