2018-2019 University of Texas Long School of Medicine at San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
were you guys ever invited to take a CASPER test from here since there are no secondaries?
They actually just sent an email about this. They are requiring CASPER for students that have interviewed only, and they aren't using it for admissions decisions. Their link isn't active yet though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A very good friend of mine got an II a week or so ago. They have lower stats than mine and the same ECs. The only difference is that they are a urm, they also got the transmitted email in may, so idk what long is really looking for.
I mean, the URM aspect most likely played a part, but there are also the essays and LORs that could have contributed to him/her getting an earlier invite. Who really knows. (EDIT: other than the AdComs, lol)

II this morning- transmitted 5/23

To everyone who submitted earlier in the cycle and has not heard from long yet, I got this in an email from them.

“You might remind them that it takes TIME!! We are processing over three thousand applications at this point – we receive more than any other school in the TMDSAS system [I believe you all see the highest quality educational experience in a great atmosphere of collegiality.] So it all takes time. Plus we screen and re-screen applicants all throughout the season, so in the end of the cycle we might be inviting people from May transmissions. Just FYI.”

So there’s still hope everybody

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, the URM aspect most likely played a part, but there are also the essays and LORs that could have contributed to him/her getting an earlier invite. Who really knows. (EDIT: other than the AdComs, lol)
Very true, they did however get an II without LORs being submitted

Should I be concerned about not having an II from Long? Application was transmitted late May and I got the application received email on June 16th. IS, LizzyM 78.
I'm feeling the same way haha. LizzyM 77 IS got the received email on July 7th. Have you gotten invites from other Texas schools?

II this morning- transmitted 5/23

To everyone who submitted earlier in the cycle and has not heard from long yet, I got this in an email from them.

“You might remind them that it takes TIME!! We are processing over three thousand applications at this point – we receive more than any other school in the TMDSAS system [I believe you all see the highest quality educational experience in a great atmosphere of collegiality.] So it all takes time. Plus we screen and re-screen applicants all throughout the season, so in the end of the cycle we might be inviting people from May transmissions. Just FYI.”

So there’s still hope everybody
lol did they say that in the invite?

I wish they had a portal to check like other schools. After having 2 of my invites not come through because of my school's spam filter, I always have to wonder if any other emails are getting screened.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish they had a portal to check like other schools. After having 2 of my invites not come through because of my school's spam filter, I always have to wonder if any other emails are getting screened.
+1

They have a portal but I wasn't able to use it until they sent me the invite so I was starting to think maybe this was happening to me too. It's one of those things where you'll just need to wait it out.

They have a portal but I wasn't able to use it until they sent me the invite so I was starting to think maybe this was happening to me too. It's one of those things where you'll just need to wait it out.

Having a portal after receiving an invite that never actually arrives doesn't help solve the dilemma of wondering if their emails are getting filtered. If the invite they sent you had been filtered by your email you would in fact still not know they had a portal, lol.

It's not about being patient, if they send it now or later or never doesn't really matter, rather its the inability to check where one stands that matters.

Having a portal after receiving an invite that never actually arrives doesn't help solve the dilemma of wondering if their emails are getting filtered. If the invite they sent you had been filtered by your email you would in fact still not know they had a portal, lol.

It's not about being patient, if they send it now or later or never doesn't really matter, rather its the inability to check where one stands that matters.
You have a point there. What did you do about your other invites that got screened from your email?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a point there. What did you do about your other invites that got screened from your email?

Called one school (no portal) and checked the portal at the other school (then called when I saw it said I was invited). I also updated as many schools as I could to my Gmail instead of my school's email.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview day was awesome! Both my interviews were very chill and conversational.

Reactions: 9 users
I met the director when he was recruiting. It was a very positive experience and it was clear he and others in the administration really care about the quality of their program. I am looking for a research community I want to be a part of. I more or less "brand-shopped" my undergrad. While I wouldn't change anything, I am considering a lot more than just reputation, ranking, and prestige this time around. Plus, its hard to beat the cost of living. I have 8 years on a stipend to worry about with no outside support.
I have semi-high stats( not like you) and I applied for the same reason.

MSTP folks: Do you think they'd (they=MD only admissions) be receptive to ITA if the reason I'm in the area is for my MSTP interview?

Casper now has Long as a listed school. I just sent it to Long even though not requested because I think I did well and maybe it will help (no II so far, submitted 6/19). LM 77

Long noted that they only need Casper from those they extended II and only for info purposes.

From Long admissions:

"The CASPer – What’s Up with that? We will be using the CASPer along the way, but only for data collection purposes this year, like most schools who are starting this. SO, we will only require the CASPer from applicants whom we interview, not from the entire applicant pool. Sign up for a date to take the CASPer, and you can always send the CASPer to us later, when our link is activated! Belinda, our director, will send out another note to alert y’all that the link is active. "

Long noted that they only need Casper from those they extended II and only for info purposes.

From Long admissions:

"The CASPer – What’s Up with that? We will be using the CASPer along the way, but only for data collection purposes this year, like most schools who are starting this. SO, we will only require the CASPer from applicants whom we interview, not from the entire applicant pool. Sign up for a date to take the CASPer, and you can always send the CASPer to us later, when our link is activated! Belinda, our director, will send out another note to alert y’all that the link is active. "

Did they send you an email? Where did you find that?

Casper now has Long as a listed school. I just sent it to Long even though not requested because I think I did well and maybe it will help (no II so far, submitted 6/19). LM 77
IS or OOS?

Weird. I never got that email. I've only gotten that they received my app in May.
Were you invited for interview? I believe the email says they only sent it to people that currently have interviewed/were invited.

Were you invited for interview? I believe the email says they only sent it to people that currently have interviewed/were invited.

No. I have not been invited for interview. Now I can stop searching my email lol

the information about casper was in the "we received your app" email sent when you all first submitted your primary

II just now! Complete 6/27. ORM, IS, LM 75-78

Reactions: 7 users
TMDSAS transmitted on 7/2, letters sent in on 8/9, LizzyM 77 IS, is it fair to say I've been passed up?

TMDSAS transmitted on 7/2, letters sent in on 8/9, LizzyM 77 IS, is it fair to say I've been passed up?
no not fair at all to say that. to quote the dean of admissions in an email sent to those have interviewed already: "[...] so in the end of the cycle we might be inviting people from May transmissions. Just FYI. "

Don't worry friend transmitted 5/16 LizzyM 77 ORM I'm still here with you

Reactions: 5 users
Don't worry friend transmitted 5/16 LizzyM 77 ORM I'm still here with you

My LM is only 70 (though there is an argument that veteran status adds points to your LM). Although my MCAT is 1 point below their median matriculant, my GPA is in their 100th percentile. Considering I'm also IS, I'm disappointed to have not received an invite at this point, as this would have been my number one school (at least prior to interviews).

My LM is only 70 (though there is an argument that veteran status adds points to your LM). Although my MCAT is 1 point below their median matriculant, my GPA is in their 100th percentile. Considering I'm also IS, I'm disappointed to have not received an invite at this point, as this would have been my number one school (at least prior to interviews).
Right with you, LizzyM 70, mcat At median for matriculants and GPA at 90th+ percentile, IS& URM status... also considering it’s my#1 choice pre interviews i’m disappointed that I haven’t received an invite. I transmitted July 20th hoping I get an invite soon and that today it was just a random adcom working on Labor Day!!

Congrats to all those who received IIs today! Just wanted to say that I interviewed here last week and it was the most relaxed, friendly experience yet.

Right with you, LizzyM 70, mcat At median for matriculants and GPA at 90th+ percentile, IS& URM status... also considering it’s my#1 choice pre interviews i’m disappointed that I haven’t received an invite. I transmitted July 20th hoping I get an invite soon and that today it was just a random adcom working on Labor Day!!

Maybe they are just saving the best for last :D

Fun Fact: It was inside the halls of Long SOM that I decided I was really going to move forward with becoming a doctor. I visited over the summer (2015) and the campus was basically empty. I asked the security guy if I could have a look around and he let me. I spent at least an hr just walking up and down the halls, reading the placards and envisioning what it would take to get there. It was the only medical school I had set foot in up to that point. Although I didn't know it was a "thing" at the time, that was the point that I realized I couldn't do anything else besides medicine. I guess if I don't end up with an invite here, Long will always be part of my journey regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II today as well! OOS, URM, LizzyM ~70, was transmitted on June 8th

Reactions: 3 users
II about a half hour ago! Transmitted 6/26. Stats in signature.

II today. Email received 7/7, all letters in at the beginning of August. LM 70ish. First II!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on your II! Hoping to get one as well, my app was transmitted on 7/7 so now I'm super nervous!

Just finished my mstp interview here. Some of the warmest and most welcoming people on the planet. 10/10 would recommend.

II this morning! OOS, LizzyM 76!

To people who have interviewed - What is the format of the interview day and what has your experience been?