2018-2019 University of Texas Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning LizzyM 77 complete 7/10 IS

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an II. MCAT 501 (retook last week so waiting on new score) and GPA 3.94. Complete mid May.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II today! Transmitted 7/10. OOS w/strong family ties to TX

Members don't see this ad :)
II today too around 9am. IS and LizzyM ~70. I don't have LORs turned in either, so I guess they don't wait for those.

My app was transmitted on 5/24, and have a LizzyM of 71, but I haven't even received the email that they received my application yet. Poooooopy
Check your spam folders and if nothing, email or call them. They may have misspelled your email or some such glitch

I have a few friends who interviewed at UTMB last cycle and they all said the interview was chill. Everyone here seems to be asserting it's extremely stressful and bizarre. Can anyone elaborate a bit more about their own experiences or what previous interviewees have said?

(My interview is in September, I submitted my app on 6/2, II on 7/31, IS, not URM, LizzyM~77, CASPer not yet taken)

Check your spam folders and if nothing, email or call them. They may have misspelled your email or some such glitch

Yeah I checked spam and called them about two weeks ago, and they said they have have the correct email in their system and said just to remain patient. I've already gotten a few IIs from other schools, so I don't think I have any glaring red flags in my essays or something of the sort. Quite a quandary.

Would you call again? I don't want to annoy them

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I checked spam and called them about two weeks ago, and they said they have have the correct email in their system and said just to remain patient. I've already gotten a few IIs from other schools, so I don't think I have any glaring red flags in my essays or something of the sort. Quite a quandary.

Would you call again? I don't want to annoy them
nope, if you already called I would now wait. They interview through Dec or maybe Jan

II from them, and it did end up in my spam folder. that's the second invite I've gotten from a Texas school that was filtered by my school's email, including one from their own university system, lol.

II from them, and it did end up in my spam folder. that's the second invite I've gotten from a Texas school that was filtered by my school's email, including one from their own university system, lol.

Do you use gmail?

Hi, long time lurker here. I need some advice if anyone could chime in.
I'm IS non traditional with uGPA: 3.73 (sGPA: 3.94, non-sGPA: 3.43), holding a PharmD with GPA of 3.14 and 4 times MCAT (500, 506, 509 and 514 in that retake order). My primary was transmitted late May, all Texas secondaries completed mid June and all LOR's were in early July but no interviews so far.
I've heard from multiple advisers that having a PharmD actually hurts my competitiveness and was wondering if that was the reason. Any comments on my chance would be appreciated.

Do you use gmail?
I know even applicants using their college email (.edu) addresses have had IIs sent to the spam folder. Email security for colleges is erratically tight. Some email may be marked as "quarantined" and you have to release it from quarantine before you can read it (on sites using Outlook, Office 365 for example).

I'm IS non traditional with uGPA: 3.73 (sGPA: 3.94, non-sGPA: 3.43), holding a PharmD with GPA of 3.14 and 4 times MCAT (500, 506, 509 and 514 in that retake order). My primary was transmitted late May, all Texas secondaries completed mid June and all LOR's were in early July but no interviews so far.
I've heard from multiple advisers that having a PharmD actually hurts my competitiveness and was wondering if that was the reason. Any comments on my chance would be appreciated.
I'm just another random applicant (i.e.-- my opinion means nothing), but if I had to guess, it's actually the four MCAT tries that are hurting you most (stat-wise, I mean. Obvs, your essays and LORs could be a contributing factor, too).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It is too early in the cycle to press the panic button, but the multiple mcats might hurt. I have only heard from one school and I have been complete for a long time, I'll probably start to panic mid september if I continue to not hear back from other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a few friends who interviewed at UTMB last cycle and they all said the interview was chill. Everyone here seems to be asserting it's extremely stressful and bizarre. Can anyone elaborate a bit more about their own experiences or what previous interviewees have said?

(My interview is in September, I submitted my app on 6/2, II on 7/31, IS, not URM, LizzyM~77, CASPer not yet taken)

Incoming MS1 here. My interview here was very relaxed and it was more conversational than anything. I talked about my experiences and academic work but nothing out of the ordinary. I interviewed at other places in Texas that were much more stressful.

It is too early in the cycle to press the panic button, but the multiple mcats might hurt. I have only heard from one school and I have been complete for a long time, I'll probably start to panic mid september if I continue to not hear back from other schools.

I have similar stats as you and have only heard from 1 school as well. I wouldn't start panicking until October/November. I think the order of the invite invitations are predominately stats based, as the same people with similar stats are getting II everywhere in Texas at this time. Ours is coming soon I can feel it :)

Reactions: 4 users
I have similar stats as you and have only heard from 1 school as well. I wouldn't start panicking until October/November. I think the order of the invite invitations are predominately stats based, as the same people with similar stats are getting II everywhere in Texas at this time. Ours is coming soon I can feel it :)
Hopefully we get flooded with IIs in the next month or so like these high staters have been getting

*Super high staters. I’ve been told by people/advisors that I have stats above the average matriculate but I come to sdn and feel like I have no chance seeing all the 517+ Mcats lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully we get flooded with IIs in the next month or so like these high staters have been getting

*Super high staters. I’ve been told my people that I have high stats but I come to sdn and feel like I have no chance seeing all the 517+ Mcats lol
Hahahaha same

So I was complete and transmitted on 6/11. I still have not heard a word from UTMB. Should I e-mail them? (LizzyM of 70)

*Super high staters. I’ve been told by people/advisors that I have stats above the average matriculate but I come to sdn and feel like I have no chance seeing all the 517+ Mcats lol

LOL I really hope so too. Thank you guys for the encouragement

just out of curiosity, is there a specific interest you guys have at this school?

Contrary to the advice some will say, I did call UTMB when I didn't get an email. Welp, the next day I got a "complete" email and less than 2 weeks after that a II. So, n=1 but....seems like some of you guys have higher stats than me so either it is not stats based or my phone call got my application shuffled to the pile (or option 3 is that it was a complete coincidence, which is most likely) :D

Contrary to the advice some will say, I did call UTMB when I didn't get an email. Welp, the next day I got a "complete" email and less than 2 weeks after that a II. So, n=1 but....seems like some of you guys have higher stats than me so either it is not stats based or my phone call got my application shuffled to the pile (or option 3 is that it was a complete coincidence, which is most likely) :D
How long was the wait From when you got transmitted to you calling them?

Hey all,

If anyone is planning to stay with a student host and is waiting for an email. I would suggest calling about it. Apparently, with me, there was some glitch going on where the the email with the pdf about student hosting was not coming through using my school email or Gmail. They ended up having to send a Word doc for me to finally receive it.

Hey all,

If anyone is planning to stay with a student host and is waiting for an email. I would suggest calling about it. Apparently, with me, there was some glitch going on where the the email with the pdf about student hosting was not coming through using my school email or Gmail. They ended up having to send a Word doc for me to finally receive it.

My school did the same thing and completely removed the attachment.

@Dr.ATS and other applicants, if you are sincerely in doubt that your application has been received in its entirety, you may send a polite email to the school, including your name and TMDSAS ID number, asking "could you please confirm that my application and all its supporting documents are complete?"
If you KNOW it is complete and what you really want to ask is, "so, do you like me and why haven't you invited me for an interview yet?", then RESIST the temptation. :nono:

Last edited:
No, as long as you are complete carry on along your merry way
Gotcha! Some of my close friends got an email about CASPer, but I have had nothing from them. Seeing as my application was transmitted with no issues from TMDSAS, I'll hold off on e-mailing for a bit and trust the process.

I feel the same way.. I don't know why I keep coming back for more pain..

transmitted 6/25. Never received a "we got your application" email so I called on 7/16 and I got the "complete" email 7/17 and the II about two weeks later.
Did you get an email saying they received your primary and are reviewing your application, and then another one that specifically said that your application is complete? I transmitted same day as you, but didn't get the "received" email so emailed them on 7/13 and finally also got that "we got your primary application" email on 7/17. My MCAT score and LORs were sent in mid-June so not sure what might be missing.

@Dr.ATS and other applicants, if you are sincerely in doubt that your application has been received in its entirety, you may send a polite email to the school, including your name and TMDSAS ID number, asking "could you please conform that my application and all its supporting documents are complete?"
If you KNOW it is complete and what you really want to ask is, "so, do you like me and why haven't you invited me for an interview yet?", then RESIST the temptation. :nono:

Yep, I had received a notification from every other school that I submitted to that my application had been "received". I only called b/c I wanted to confirm that it actually had been received since others had said they received a confirmation after submitting. Everyone was very friendly, and, as it turns out, office 365 seems to think all communications from UTMB are malware, so I'm glad the admissions office is so helpful.

For those who had 8/3 interviews, how was the campus/experience?

Reactions: 2 users
For those who had 8/3 interviews, how was the campus/experience?

I interviewed on 8/3. Campus is very pretty, with a tropical feel secondary to palm trees and constant sea breeze. The city is on the smaller side, which has its pros and cons. It's cheap to live there but it's also not Houston. The beach is a short walk from campus.
I was fortunate to meet a number of current students both inside and outside of the official interview day. They all seemed to love the school, especially the flexible schedules for first and second years. Student also loved to mention how the NBME testing format is the most-similar to step 1. Overall the stress level of the students seemed low, and their morale very high. I would love to go there.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 8/3. Campus is very pretty, with a tropical feel secondary to palm trees and constant sea breeze. The city is on the smaller side, which has its pros and cons. It's cheap to live there but it's also not Houston. The beach is a short walk from campus.
I was fortunate to meet a number of current students both inside and outside of the official interview day. They all seemed to love the school, especially the flexible schedules for first and second years. Student also loved to mention how the NBME testing format is the most-similar to step 1. Overall the stress level of the students seemed low, and their morale very high. I would love to go there.
Good to hear. I'm interviewing there this Friday and can't wait! :soexcited:

Is anyone in the 8/10 batch of interviewees planning on staying in Galveston Friday night? Or attending the mixer Thursday? Very excited to see what Galveston is like :D

If you don't mind sharing, how was your actual interview overall? All of my friends who interviewed in the past said their experience was pretty relaxed, but for some reason everything I've read on SDN seems like people had stressful interviews and really difficult questions.

Is anyone in the 8/10 batch of interviewees planning on staying in Galveston Friday night? Or attending the mixer Thursday? Very excited to see what Galveston is like :D

I'm going to mixer Thursday night

If you don't mind sharing, how was your actual interview overall? All of my friends who interviewed in the past said their experience was pretty relaxed, but for some reason everything I've read on SDN seems like people had stressful interviews and really difficult questions.

It's subjective and people with a bad experience are more likely to post than one who is content

It's subjective and people with a bad experience are more likely to post than one who is content
Fair enough. I was just interested in hearing about someone's opinion from this cycle.