2018-2019 University of Texas Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fair enough. I was just interested in hearing about someone's opinion from this cycle.

School is dope. Interviews were chill af. Hoping to prematch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
This. I was thoroughly impressed with the school. Could easily see myself here.
This is great to hear. This is my first interivew that I have next week and was worried after hearing that it's a stress interview. Super excited and nervous. Are you allowed to share the types of interview questions they asked?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is great to hear. This is my first interivew that I have next week and was worried after hearing that it's a stress interview. Super excited and nervous. Are you allowed to share the types of interview questions they asked?
I can’t share what but they were common medical school interview questions. At least for me, there was no “stress interview”. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same interviewers though, so there may be variation.

I can’t share what but they were common medical school interview questions. At least for me, there was no “stress interview”. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same interviewers though, so there may be variation.
Fair enough. Are you OOS? I anticipate they'll ask me why I am applying to Texas schools as an OOS? MSAR says they only intervieeed like 50 OOS students so I feel lucky and I'm humbled to have even made it this far.

Fair enough. Are you OOS? I anticipate they'll ask me why I am applying to Texas schools as an OOS? MSAR says they only intervieeed like 50 OOS students so I feel lucky and I'm humbled to have even made it this far.
I’m IS. Just be honest, say it’s a great school at a low cost even for OOS. Like you said the fact they invited you means they’re taking you seriously, so have faith!

This school also interviews a little over 1000 applicants which is craaaaazy! So I guess I’m a little concerned if I’ll actually get offered a spot with that many people getting interviewed for 230 spots. But other than that it was a really great school and experience

This school also interviews a little over 1000 applicants which is craaaaazy! So I guess I’m a little concerned if I’ll actually get offered a spot with that many people getting interviewed for 230 spots. But other than that it was a really great school and experience

They likely accept 2x the number they need, so that means they have about a 45% acceptance rate for interviewees, which doesn't seem that bad.

They likely accept 2x the number they need, so that means they have about a 45% acceptance rate for interviewees, which doesn't seem that bad.
Is 45% interview acceptance kind of the standard? And does anyone know if you interview early if your odds go up?

Is 45% interview acceptance kind of the standard? And does anyone know if you interview early if your odds go up?

tbh I think UTMB prematches around 4-500. I think at this school the interview is just to make sure that aside from having good numbers your emotionally stable and competent.

tbh I think UTMB prematches around 4-500. I think at this school the interview is just to make sure that aside from having good numbers your emotionally stable and competent.
I think you mean to say they may make that many offers of admission. They do not make that many pre-match offers (prior to Feb 1 Match Day).

I found what you said interesting, so I crunched some numbers and saw that out of 1025 IS interviews, only 208 were accepted (I subtracted the Bac/MD and MD/PhD students. That's a solid 20% acceptance rate. However, out of the 44 OOS students interviewed (again, subtracting the MD/PhD students) 11 were accepted. That's a 25% acceptance rate! OOS students, who get interviews, actually have a better chance of getting accepted than IS students!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found what you said interesting, so I crunched some numbers and saw that out of 1025 IS interviews, only 208 were accepted (I subtracted the Bac/MD and MD/PhD students. That's a solid 20% acceptance rate. However, out of the 44 OOS students interviewed (again, subtracting the MD/PhD students) 11 were accepted. That's a 25% acceptance rate! OOS students, who get interviews, actually have a better chance of getting accepted than IS students!
More offers are made than spots though for IS

Yeah you are looking at matriculated, not accepted

More offers are made than spots though for IS

I'm just going off the hard numbers I saw in MSAR, since I could not find any hard numbers for the actual number of acceptances they give out. Either way, 20% of IS students who interviewed go to the school, and 25% of OOS students who interview go to the school. Those are still uplifting stats to see!

Yeah you are looking at matriculated, not accepted

Well the numbers would just increase from there! The number of interviews are locked in. We know that number from last year cannot change, but the number of acceptances will vary. For every 1 acceptance you add to OOS, you would have to add a bunch of IS acceptances just to match that OOS acceptance rate. For example: let's say 5 more OOS students were accepted (but chose not to matriculate); that would be 16/44 (excluding MD/PhD). That's an acceptance rate of 36%. You would have to add 160 IS acceptances (368/1025) just to match that percentage. Either way, with the extremely low number of OOS interviews, they seem to have a better chance of acceptance than IS. These are just very rough estimates, based off of MSAR data. I do not have exact numbers for students who are MD only, Bac/MD, MD/PhD, or any other extraneous variables. I am legit just working off of MSAR, but the stats look fairly promising for OOS students who get interviews!

It would be super nice if there were stats for those who were interviewed vs accepted

It would be super nice if there were stats for those who were interviewed vs accepted
if you want interviewed vs accepted you will have to purchase a US News Rankings subsciription as MSAR doesn't have that info. for reference, UTMB (not sure which cycle is the current one on US News) interviewed 1,035 in-state and accepted 487, of which 221 matriculated. For OOS, 62 interviews, 25 acceptances, 9 matriculants.

Reactions: 2 users
if you want interviewed vs accepted you will have to purchase a US News Rankings subsciription as MSAR doesn't have that info. for reference, UTMB (not sure which cycle is the current one on US News) interviewed 1,035 in-state and accepted 487, of which 221 matriculated. For OOS, 62 interviews, 25 acceptances, 9 matriculants.

Does this factor in applicants from the Bac/MD program and applicants for the MD/PhD program?

Does this factor in applicants from the Bac/MD program and applicants for the MD/PhD program?
i don't see anything on the website there that specifies. regardless, i believe it gives a fairy accurate estimate numbers-wise

I’m IS. Just be honest, say it’s a great school at a low cost even for OOS. Like you said the fact they invited you means they’re taking you seriously, so have faith!
Thanks for the inspiration.

My interviews were definitely chill. The campus is very big and it's easy to get lost. Bring walking shoes and don't be afraid to ask for help getting to your second interview. I was very impressed with UTMB. Hopefully, they liked me enough to give me a pre-match. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Impressive school! I had one "stress-like" interview where I got asked hard science/ethics questions. Other interview was very conversational and relaxed. Just keep your cool and be confident and you'll be good.

For those who have already interviewed or are familiar with the area, what’s the best way to get from the Houston airport to the UTMB campus?

The shuttles and limo services seem pretty expensive. Is Uber cheaper? Are there any buses?

Thanks!

For those who have already interviewed or are familiar with the area, what’s the best way to get from the Houston airport to the UTMB campus?

The shuttles and limo services seem pretty expensive. Is Uber cheaper? Are there any buses?

Thanks!
I was able to drive because I’m from the area, but I think you can get a bus down there for cheap

Thanks!
I haven't interviewed yet, but I plan on taking the Galveston Express from the airport. It's a shared shuttle and $60 round trip, which is about the cost of an Uber going one way. That was the cheapest I could find.

I haven't interviewed yet, but I plan on taking the Galveston Express from the airport. It's a shared shuttle and $60 round trip, which is about the cost of an Uber going one way. That was the cheapest I could find.
I agree with this, take the airport super shuttle it will drop you at your hotel. Once in Galveston you can get Uber or Lyft if your hotel won't run you over to the med school. ALSO be sure to fly in to Houston Hobby airport if you can, MUCH closer to Galveston than IAH (Houston Intercontinental)

Last edited:
For those who have already had their interviews, did any of you choose the AMWA housing option? What was that like? Thanks!

Interviewed here on 8/17 and can say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like the school - especially the way their curriculum is set up. Both of my interviews were very conversational, open file, and lasted ~45 min.

Good luck to everyone else with interviews coming up!

For those who have already had their interviews, did any of you choose the AMWA housing option? What was that like? Thanks!
I did. It was a good experience. My host was very nice and friendly. He introduced me to friends, showed me around campus, etc.

Interviewed here on 8/17 and can say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like the school - especially the way their curriculum is set up. Both of my interviews were very conversational, open file, and lasted ~45 min.

Good luck to everyone else with interviews coming up!
Interivewed here on the 17th too. My first interview was a little werid because I had a change of interviewers and kinda got interivewed by a group of people. My second interview was more standard conversational and open-file.

Unsure if this is helpful or not in regards to calling the school -

Hadn't heard from UTMB until I received an email (8/6) titled "UTMB Interview?" asking me to confirm my interview date.

I hadn't received a previous email inviting me to interview, and when I checked my spam folder, nothing was there.
So, email glitches happen, and calling might be helpful!

Hi everyone, my TMDSAS app transmitted on June 14th, but I still have not received a confirmation email from UTMB that they've received my application. I called and was told that UTMB has not marked it as received yet so it's likely still under processing and that it takes about three weeks from the transmission date to process. But it's been over 2 months since my transmission date and nothing..did this happen with anyone else?

Hi everyone, my TMDSAS app transmitted on June 14th, but I still have not received a confirmation email from UTMB that they've received my application. I called and was told that UTMB has not marked it as received yet so it's likely still under processing and that it takes about three weeks from the transmission date to process. But it's been over 2 months since my transmission date and nothing..did this happen with anyone else?
That seems really odd, was it recently that you called? I transmitted June 22nd and heard back at the end of July. LizzyM of 70 for reference.

I transmitted July 20th and received the “received and under review” email on August 10th. So I would try to give them a call, maybe it’s a glitch!

That seems really odd, was it recently that you called? I transmitted June 22nd and heard back at the end of July. LizzyM of 70 for reference.

Yeah I called them this morning and that's what they told me :/ LizzyM 68

I transmitted July 20th and received the “received and under review” email on August 10th. So I would try to give them a call, maybe it’s a glitch!

Yeah when I called this morning, they told me to wait a week and call back if I still haven't received a confirmation. A little strange since I've heard from every other school ages ago, but hopefully there's not a huge glitch happening

II just now!! :soexcited:
LizzyM: 70
WARS: 83
IS & URM
Transmitted 7/20
Got the “application received” email 8/13

Reactions: 3 users
II a couple of hours ago! Super excited!!

Reactions: 3 users
II just now!! :soexcited:
LizzyM: 70
WARS: 83
IS & URM
Transmitted 7/20
Got the “application received” email 8/13
Congrats!! I transmitted 7/27 and hoping I receive an II soon! I still haven't received an email from them stating they received my app tho...

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday!!
IS
URM
LizzyM 71.5
Transmitted 7/13
Marked Received 8/7

So I received my interview invite on 07/31/18. I read the email briefly and RSVPed. I just now realized that the attachments did not download because stupid outlook deemed the attachments "unsafe." Would any one mind sending messaging me screenshots of the info? Or do you think it is best to email and ask for them to send again?

So I received my interview invite on 07/31/18. I read the email briefly and RSVPed. I just now realized that the attachments did not download because stupid outlook deemed the attachments "unsafe." Would any one mind sending messaging me screenshots of the info? Or do you think it is best to email and ask for them to send again?
PM me. I'd be more than happy to send you a screenshot if you're pressed for time. However, I'd still recommend emailing them on the off chance that there's any logistical differences from your interview day to mine!

receive email from UTMB on 7/16, took casper 7/25, IS, LizzyM 70. haven't heard back yet and starting to worry