2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if Casper is required or optional for this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if it's not allowed to submit a committee letter of evaluation from a pre-health committee at my undergraduate school? VCU states the following on their website:

"Applicants should submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five). A letter packet is assembled and distributed by your school. It may or may not include a cover letter from your pre-health advisor or committee, but it does not include a committee evaluation. If the letter packet contains at least three individual letters, it will fulfill our requirements. However, if the letter packet includes fewer than three individual letters, you will need to submit additional individual letters to meet our minimum requirement of three letters."

Even though they say it doesn't include a committee evaluation, I'm wondering if they don't want it at all or are just saying that doesn't count towards the minimum I need. I have a total of five letters of recommendation. Should I still include the committee letter of evaluation since I already possess that one?

Does anybody know if it's not allowed to submit a committee letter of evaluation from a pre-health committee at my undergraduate school? VCU states the following on their website:

"Applicants should submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five). A letter packet is assembled and distributed by your school. It may or may not include a cover letter from your pre-health advisor or committee, but it does not include a committee evaluation. If the letter packet contains at least three individual letters, it will fulfill our requirements. However, if the letter packet includes fewer than three individual letters, you will need to submit additional individual letters to meet our minimum requirement of three letters."

Even though they say it doesn't include a committee evaluation, I'm wondering if they don't want it at all or are just saying that doesn't count towards the minimum I need. I have a total of five letters of recommendation. Should I still include the committee letter of evaluation since I already possess that one?
I would. You can always call and ask them. This just sounds they're defining what they consider a committee letter vs a letter packet. I think committee letters are generally preferred, if your undergrad offers them.

It was on the Casper website so I was curious

I'm pretty sure it's required this year. VCU's dean of admission came to my undergrad in April and she told us CASPER is mandatory this cycle.

Secondary received! I different prompt from last year!

"Medicine is a lifelong learning career where new understandings of diseases are constantly changing and new medications are continuously being added, yet motivating patients continues to be a stimulating challenge. Please discuss in 2000 characters or less ways physicians address this issue. You may use resources to answer this question, mention them but foot notes are not necessary."

Secondary received! I different prompt from last year!

"Medicine is a lifelong learning career where new understandings of diseases are constantly changing and new medications are continuously being added, yet motivating patients continues to be a stimulating challenge. Please discuss in 2000 characters or less ways physicians address this issue. You may use resources to answer this question, mention them but foot notes are not necessary."
+1

Is the VCU screen a 503 MCAT? Is there a GPA screen as well?

Is the VCU screen a 503 MCAT? Is there a GPA screen as well?
Reading through last year's thread they mentioned that only 1/3 of the applicants receive a secondary. I'm not sure how true that information is but it seems to indicate that there is some heavy screening.

Edit: According to the same thread 3.3 is the GPA screen

Received notification that my app was received. Anyone having difficulties with login after changing your password? I've changed it multiple times and it still won't let me back in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received notification that my app was received. Anyone having difficulties with login after changing your password? I've changed it multiple times and it still won't let me back in.

Yeah I'm having the same problem.

Nevermind, the problem for me seems to be that I can login and access the app, but whenever I logout it doesn't recognize my credentials my credentials any more.

Nevermind, the problem for me seems to be that I can login and access the app, but whenever I logout it doesn't recognize my credentials my credentials any more.

Yeah, same here. I can get in with a password reset, but once I change my password it won't let me log in again with either the PIN or the newly changed password. So, at least I know I can get in there, but still a hassle.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, same here. I can get in with a password reset, but once I change my password it won't let me log in again with either the PIN or the newly changed password. So, at least I know I can get in there, but still a hassle.
Yeah, it's incredibly annoying. Hopefully it's just a problem with too many people trying to access the system at the moment.

Can you submit your secondary before the CASPer test? I am registered for the test on Sunday but want to submit my secondary ASAP.

Reading through last year's thread they mentioned that only 1/3 of the applicants receive a secondary. I'm not sure how true that information is but it seems to indicate that there is some heavy screening.

Edit: According to the same thread 3.3 is the GPA screen

Does this mean that the secondary application is only sent out to the applicants that VCU considers as worthy, or of potential? I meet the screening cutoffs but perhaps there are other factors involved? I'm a Canadian applicant so that might be related...

I am having issues with logging on with my pin. Is anyone else having this issue too?

Does this mean that the secondary application is only sent out to the applicants that VCU considers as worthy, or of potential? I meet the screening cutoffs but perhaps there are other factors involved? I'm a Canadian applicant so that might be related...
Canadian applicant here as well. I received the confirmation that my application has been received but no secondary as of yet. :/

Honestly no idea. Reading through the thread from last year it does seem as though there was some review process as not everyone received the secondary. However, I do not have the best stats and I am OOS yet I received the secondary 2 days after transmission to the school, so take all the information with a grain of salt.

Actually an interesting essay question, can't use anything I've prewrote.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually an interesting essay question, can't use anything I've prewrote.
I honestly have a new interpretation of what it's asking every time I read it.

Reactions: 3 users
Canadian applicant here as well. I received the confirmation that my application has been received but no secondary as of yet. :/

Sensing a trend here... I guess the only silver lining I can see is that there is less work for us to do. We can move onto other things.

I answered it quite literally, then expanded my thoughts on the topics.

I interpret it as "talk about how physicians can motivate patients in this confusing world." Is that what you all got out of it?
Yeah. Trying to explain the most up-to-date medications and treatments without it sounding threatening, overwhelming, or like pseudoscience... all the while doing so in a way that really motivates patients to change their behaviors/try new treatments/etc.

At first, I thought they meant how physicians address the challenges of lifelong learning and of changing patient attitudes. Then I saw that 'yet' and the singular 'issue' and I was like o_O

The password reset thing is super confusing. Reset it again and make your password between 8-10 characters exactly otherwise you can't log back in. I changed mine to an 8 character password and it works now. This is mentioned in the fine print on the reset page lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

The password reset thing is super confusing. Reset it again and make your password between 8-10 characters exactly otherwise you can't log back in. I changed mine to an 8 character password and it works now. This is mentioned in the fine print on the reset page lol.

I'll try that! Thanks!

Check your portal. My secondary invitation was on the portal although I hadn't received a formal email invite yet.

That fixed the problem! I'm used to sites prompting you when your password doesn't match their requirements. Mine was too long. Problem solved! Thanks!

Received notification that my "status has changed in the last 24 hours" via email, and logged in to find the secondary app this morning!

Yeah. Trying to explain the most up-to-date medications and treatments without it sounding threatening, overwhelming, or like pseudoscience... all the while doing so in a way that really motivates patients to change their behaviors/try new treatments/etc.

At first, I thought they meant how physicians address the challenges of lifelong learning and of changing patient attitudes. Then I saw that 'yet' and the singular 'issue' and I was like o_O

This is the only thing I can think of too when reading the prompt. Do you guys think there is a specific type of response they're looking for in this secondary?

This is the only thing I can think of too when reading the prompt. Do you guys think there is a specific type of response they're looking for in this secondary?

Tbh I think last year's prompt had more room for varying answers. I don't see how this one can have many different answers which is a bummer.

You guys seem to have taken a different approach than I did. I read it as saying that doctors need to constantly learn about new treatments and disease mechanisms as the field is ever-evolving, however it can be a challenge to motivate patients because it takes a long time before new, effective treatments can be administered due to medicine's fluid nature. I wonder if they would accept this interpretation. I essentially just wrote about how doctors cope with finding ways to motivate their patients even for diseases that may not have evident and effective treatments.
This prompt is worded very ambiguously, I don't know how they meant it! I took it as generally asking how physicians motivate their patients to follow medical direction, as that seems to be the "issue" they are referring to. The word "yet" makes it seem like the first part of the prompt is just acknowledging that medicine is a changing field, independent of the fact that it is difficult to motivate patients.

Reactions: 3 users
T
This prompt is worded very ambiguously, I don't know how they meant it! I took it as generally asking how physicians motivate their patients to follow medical direction, as that seems to be the "issue" they are referring to. The word "yet" makes it seem like the first part of the prompt is just acknowledging that medicine is a changing field, independent of the fact that it is difficult to motivate patients.

This is what I got too

Im working on this right now and this is how I see the prompt:

They are talking about how medicine is changing rapidly and its hard to get patients to change with it because many are hesitant to try new medications that dont have a long running reputation such as the old ones. So addressing the issues with physicians pushing to progress medicine with these innovations but also getting the patients to jump on board without pushing anything on them. Basically make the patients really excited about the new techniques/medications/etc. I think the best way to go about this is to draw parallels to the previous techniques/medications and be well informed to the changes that are happening so the patients feel happy and confident that you are actually pushing these because you believe they will be the most beneficial to them in the end instead of the whole feeling of "docs are trying to sell me on this because they get a payout." So being transparent about why you are telling them of these innovations and to assure them that it is to better them, not better yourself.

But Im just another applicant so who knows. I could be completely wrong haha.

Reactions: 2 users