2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you need to have CASPer results in before VCU will give you a secondary? They said that they need CASPer in order to consider your application complete...

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need to have CASPer results in before VCU will give you a secondary? They said that they need CASPer in order to consider your application complete...

You do not need CASPer to receive a secondary, only to receive final decisions. I called the admissions office and they notified me that they do not need your CASPer results to grant you an interview, but need to know that you have taken the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if it is appropriate to put N/A for the second required question (listed below)? I feel like there are many in my position. What do you guys feel? :O

I have had lapses in education, but they are not terrible enough that I can well-justify them except for waking up at 4am--> less ideal mcat score and having too much on my plate one semester --> B in a course. While I view those as slip ups, others may have faced major illnesses or clearly more severe events that affect education. My slip ups then sound petty.

At the same time, I think putting N/A is entitled.

"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in what other people have to say. My instinct was to put N/A, as I have not had any major life disturbances, but similarly to you all I could talk about is why I received a B and didn't preform as well on my MCAT as I would have liked.

Anyone have thoughts?

Does anyone know if it is appropriate to put N/A for the second required question (listed below)? I feel like there are many in my position. What do you guys feel? :O

I have had lapses in education, but they are not terrible enough that I can well-justify them except for waking up at 4am--> less ideal mcat score and having too much on my plate one semester --> B in a course. While I view those as slip ups, others may have faced major illnesses or clearly more severe events that affect education. My slip ups then sound petty.

"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)"
I didn't put anything actually. I think it's better to answer those questions should they come up in the interview but I don't think it needs to be mentioned in the secondary, also I remember reading somewhere that it's not good to talk about academic lapses in secondaries but I don't remember where I read that.

I didn't put anything actually. I think it's better to answer those questions should they come up in the interview but I don't think it needs to be mentioned in the secondary, also I remember reading somewhere that it's not good to talk about academic lapses in secondaries but I don't remember where I read that.
ok, thank you!!

I called the admissions office and they notified me that they do not need your CASPer results to grant you an interview, but need to know that you have taken the exam.

Thanks for sharing this! Was going to put off writing this one thinking they needed CASPer for II, but now I'll move it back up towards the top of the pile!

I was wondering about this prompt in terms of gap years... Should we discuss all the activities we have been involved in, like Drexel's secondary?

I feel that they are only looking for explanations to academic discrepancies.

You do not need CASPer to receive a secondary, only to receive final decisions. I called the admissions office and they notified me that they do not need your CASPer results to grant you an interview, but need to know that you have taken the exam.

" A complete file consists of your supplemental application, CASPer test, your letters of recommendation, payment of the supplemental fee, and a copy of your US or Canadian green card".....

"Once your supplemental application requirements have been completed, your profile will then be forwarded to the subcommittee for review. "

"The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM should complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2019 cycle Casper results will only be utilized during the discussion for admission ranking which occurs immediately after your interview."

This is what they say on their secondary right? It makes it sound like they only give out IIs if they have CASPer? It's confusing :confused:

"The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM should complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2019 cycle Casper results will only be utilized during the discussion for admission ranking which occurs immediately after your interview."

This is what they say on their secondary right? It makes it sound like they only give out IIs if they have CASPer? It's confusing :confused:

It literally says 'after your interview' lmao.

It literally says 'after your interview' lmao.

Oh crap, I didn't read that part lol I read the first sentence and thought they needed it in to be complete before II decisions were sent out. Thanks!

What is the percentage of IS applicants that VCU decides to interview? I heard it was fairly high?

What is the percentage of IS applicants that VCU decides to interview? I heard it was fairly high?

I think it is much lower this year. It used to be ~50% and I think its like ~30% now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is much lower this year. It used to be ~50% and I think its like ~30% now :(

What! No way. VCU ends up with 50/50 of oos/is so it would only make sense that they interview similar amounts. Could be wrong but that's my take.

What! No way. VCU ends up with 50/50 of oos/is so it would only make sense that they interview similar amounts. Could be wrong but that's my take.

Yeah, they end up with 50/50 overall, but they are interviewing a much lesser amount of IS candidates now. In previous years, it was definitely higher - like close to 47% of all IS people were interviewed. I remember Dr. Cook saying the same about a few years ago, and I was so happy that my odds were 1/2 at getting an II. But idk why, MSAR shows it at 26% now :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 1.41.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 1.41.11 PM.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 115
Yeah, they end up with 50/50 overall, but they are interviewing a much lesser amount of IS candidates now. In previous years, it was definitely higher - like close to 47% of all IS people were interviewed. I remember Dr. Cook saying the same about a few years ago, and I was so happy that my odds were 1/2 at getting an II. But idk why, MSAR shows it at 26% now :(
FWIW. the applicants number is just of primary. I think 1/3 get secondaries (not sure if there is a different % between OOS and IS). So 47% would mean a little more than 600 would get secondaries.

I agree with above poster. I have heard that the initial screen is rather intense compared to most med schools. If you get a secondary IS and have a good holistic app you should be good.

It's more than 26%. As other people have mentioned that's only the primary app count. Only around 3k total people get the secondary due to screening so the numbers usually even out around there

I was wondering about this prompt in terms of gap years... Should we discuss all the activities we have been involved in, like Drexel's secondary?

I feel that they are only looking for explanations to academic discrepancies.
Hmm, yea I think it's not asking about gap year activities unless there were major mistakes made during gap year

It's more than 26%. As other people have mentioned that's only the primary app count. Only around 3k total people get the secondary due to screening so the numbers usually even out around there

Here is a useful breakdown of Total/OOS/IS applicant, interview, and acceptance data that someone (probably with a bioinformatics background...) took the time to compile from 2017; however, by your numbers, the VCU "applied" column must comprise Secondary applicants.

Last edited:
Here is a useful breakdown of Total/OOS/IS applicant, interview, and acceptance data that someone (probably with a bioinformatics background...) took the time to compile from 2017; however, by your numbers, the VCU "applied" column must comprise Secondary applicants.

I actually can't see the sheet but if this the US news google doc just know that it's not accurate for this school

Does anybody know if it's not allowed to submit a committee letter of evaluation from a pre-health committee at my undergraduate school? VCU states the following on their website:

"Applicants should submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five). A letter packet is assembled and distributed by your school. It may or may not include a cover letter from your pre-health advisor or committee, but it does not include a committee evaluation. If the letter packet contains at least three individual letters, it will fulfill our requirements. However, if the letter packet includes fewer than three individual letters, you will need to submit additional individual letters to meet our minimum requirement of three letters."

Even though they say it doesn't include a committee evaluation, I'm wondering if they don't want it at all or are just saying that doesn't count towards the minimum I need. I have a total of five letters of recommendation. Should I still include the committee letter of evaluation since I already possess that one?

In their secondary application guide they explicitly state that a committee letter fulfills these requirements. So this is probably the most important letter you should submit

Just a heads up to people: you have to open that initial e-mail from VCU stating they are considering your application in order to access the secondary.

I got e-mailed a few days ago saying that they received my application, but no obvious invitation to submit the secondary. So I click the link, go to their portal, and after I set up an account, I realize that I am actually able to submit the secondary.

and of course it's different from last year's, lol...oh well!

Good luck everyone! Besides Tulane, this is another top choice for me.

For the "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)" question, is this also a 'what did you do in your gap year' question? They start off mentioning undergrad

@medschoolzombie I would say talk about your gap year activities because it says "any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school"

@medschoolzombie I would say talk about your gap year activities because it says "any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school"
That's what I figured but specifically mentioned lapses in undergrad too so I wanted to double check. Thanks man!

Did anybody submit? I did not get anything indicating that I am done, but I cannot access my secondary anymore. This normal?

Did anybody submit? I did not get anything indicating that I am done, but I cannot access my secondary anymore. This normal?
I got an email that my Portal Status had changed, now my portal says:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

I got an email that my Portal Status had changed, now my portal says:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.
Yeah I didnt get this email, how long after you submit did you get it?

WHat are the prompts?
Medicine is a lifelong learning career where new understandings of diseases are constantly changing and new medications are continuously being added, yet motivating patients continues to be a stimulating challenge. Please discuss in 2000 characters or less ways physicians address this issue. You may use resources to answer this question, mention them but foot notes are not necessary

This prompt is worded very ambiguously, I don't know how they meant it! I took it as generally asking how physicians motivate their patients to follow medical direction, as that seems to be the "issue" they are referring to. The word "yet" makes it seem like the first part of the prompt is just acknowledging that medicine is a changing field, independent of the fact that it is difficult to motivate patients.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

This is how I interpreted it too...motivating patient in their own health mgmt.

Oh my days, this secondary man.

Finally submitted this after it being in my inbox for like 2 weeks. Took like 20 min for the essay so kinda salty I took so long to start it.

For the "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)" question, is this also a 'what did you do in your gap year' question? They start off mentioning undergrad

I was about to use my "gap years" essay but then I noticed the supplemental instructions say "The Supplemental Essay (Item #4 on the General Information section) should not repeat information we have already received in your AMCAS essay." However, the explain any lapses question is item #5 and the essay about lifelong learning is item #4. Also, they say "Read and acknowledge receipt of the Technical Standards Form (Item #9). Your acknowledgement on this form indicates you are certifying your ability to meet these standards" but item #9 is coursework and item #8 is technical standards.

SO TLDRL: do we only put info that is not in our AMCAS apps for the lapses essay? All of my gap year activities are listed on AMCAS

I was about to use my "gap years" essay but then I noticed the supplemental instructions say "The Supplemental Essay (Item #4 on the General Information section) should not repeat information we have already received in your AMCAS essay." However, the explain any lapses question is item #5 and the essay about lifelong learning is item #4. Also, they say "Read and acknowledge receipt of the Technical Standards Form (Item #9). Your acknowledgement on this form indicates you are certifying your ability to meet these standards" but item #9 is coursework and item #8 is technical standards.

SO TLDRL: do we only put info that is not in our AMCAS apps for the lapses essay? All of my gap year activities are listed on AMCAS
I was gonna go ahead and put in my gap year essay but you might wanna call to make sure

Secondary received! I different prompt from last year!

"Medicine is a lifelong learning career where new understandings of diseases are constantly changing and new medications are continuously being added, yet motivating patients continues to be a stimulating challenge. Please discuss in 2000 characters or less ways physicians address this issue. You may use resources to answer this question, mention them but foot notes are not necessary."

@gyngyn

Was the overall consensus for the second question that you only respond if you had an extenuating circumstance not just gap year plans?

Was the overall consensus for the second question that you only respond if you had an extenuating circumstance not just gap year plans?
I’m gonna go ahead and put in my gap year plans. Worst case scenario, it’s a short essay they have to read

Are you responding to the essay in a tense thats more like physicians "need to" act in a certain way to motivate patients? or more like patients "do this"

Are you responding to the essay in a tense thats more like physicians "need to" act in a certain way to motivate patients? or more like patients "do this"
I was in between. I wrote it as 'physicians do x' which is what the question implied to me