2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the WL movement steady or does most of it start in May?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s kind of hard to say. I know they really work with you to get in. There just haven’t been enough students for me to say percentage wise. I know two that have gotten in. They started with the class of 2020 and they were the first bridge to MD class, one got into the next class (2021), the other student got in my class (2022), so they were able to work with that particular student so they could get in. This year will be interesting because we have 8 students in the masters program currently and we’ll start to have a better understanding of who gets in directly after completing the 1 year program. I do know the school wants to get everyone in after successfully completing the program.

Hey thanks for the reply! I was kind of asking more around the lines of how many people who are told they are being considered for Bridge end up getting accepted into the program itself? I was told I was under consideration back in January and I'll get a final decision sometime in May.

Hey thanks for the reply! I was kind of asking more around the lines of how many people who are told they are being considered for Bridge end up getting accepted into the program itself? I was told I was under consideration back in January and I'll get a final decision sometime in May.
Oh sorry I misread your question. I’m not sure about how many people they accept into the program. If you have another option as far as a med school acceptance I would obviously take it. But I think as long as you express to them that you’re interested I have a feeling they will accept you. Hopefully. Again I can’t say for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sorry I misread your question. I’m not sure about how many people they accept into the program. If you have another option as far as a med school acceptance I would obviously take it. But I think as long as you express to them that you’re interested I have a feeling they will accept you. Hopefully. Again I can’t say for sure.

Fair enough thanks! I'm on a waitlist for another school so that would be my first choice, but if that doesn't work out it would be a really good backup option.

Is the WL movement steady or does most of it start in May?
Hey there, I noticed that you didn't get a reply to your questions and just wanted to affirm that we're in it together. I think if fellow waitlisted SDN members were accepted, they would let us know! We're all wondering exactly what you're wondering, but I think the most productive place to ask is actually WMed Admissions themselves over phone or email. Have you tried calling them? If you haven't, it might be a great opportunity to say "hey just checking in, and I'm still interested!"

@golgi body I was accepted off the waitlist back in January. But when I last talked to the Fin Aid office in March they mentioned that they are in a "holding pattern" with pulling more folks off the waitlist until after people whittle down multiple acceptances with the new AMCAS tool by the end of this month. So I'm guessing that May is a reasonable time to expect more waitlist movement.

Reactions: 1 user
@golgi body I was accepted off the waitlist back in January. But when I last talked to the Fin Aid office in March they mentioned that they are in a "holding pattern" with pulling more folks off the waitlist until after people whittle down multiple acceptances with the new AMCAS tool by the end of this month. So I'm guessing that May is a reasonable time to expect more waitlist movement.

Thanks for the info! A rep from WMed is speaking at the pre-med club at my undergrad next week so I might stop in there and ask a few questions too!

My first SDN post after years of lurking!

So I am accepted to Wmed and am wondering if someone can answer these for me:

1) When will the so called "pre-matriculation portal" be up? All of my friends who've been accepted to other schools have had a checklist of things to do before matriculation since March (transcripts, immunizations, email setup, laptop requirements, even some modules for blood borne pathogens training, etc), and I still haven't received anything from Wmed. I do see on the webpage under matriculation requirements where it says Wmed will require us to undergo a physical, immunizations and so on, but I can't find a link on the application portal to find the physical/immunization paperwork for my doctor to complete.

2) Laptop requirements. Kind of piggybacking on the first, but I read in the Student Policy Manual requirements for a laptop and that it *must* be a MacBook. Which kinda sucks ofc. But is this a hard requirement? Any current students have any suggestions on how I can get a good deal on a laptop?

3) Apartments--so I am waiting on a school closer to home (California) to see if I will be getting off the waiting list. The school is known for not taking many students off the waiting list, so it's a hail mary. Anyways, I will not be signing a lease likely until July. What decent apartments are available to sign around that time of the year?

Thanks!

My first SDN post after years of lurking!

So I am accepted to Wmed and am wondering if someone can answer these for me:

1) When will the so called "pre-matriculation portal" be up? All of my friends who've been accepted to other schools have had a checklist of things to do before matriculation since March (transcripts, immunizations, email setup, laptop requirements, even some modules for blood borne pathogens training, etc), and I still haven't received anything from Wmed. I do see on the webpage under matriculation requirements where it says Wmed will require us to undergo a physical, immunizations and so on, but I can't find a link on the application portal to find the physical/immunization paperwork for my doctor to complete.

2) Laptop requirements. Kind of piggybacking on the first, but I read in the Student Policy Manual requirements for a laptop and that it *must* be a MacBook. Which kinda sucks ofc. But is this a hard requirement? Any current students have any suggestions on how I can get a good deal on a laptop?

3) Apartments--so I am waiting on a school closer to home (California) to see if I will be getting off the waiting list. The school is known for not taking many students off the waiting list, so it's a hail mary. Anyways, I will not be signing a lease likely until July. What decent apartments are available to sign around that time of the year?

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance! Hope you join us.

1. For my year, the pre-matriculation portal appeared around May/June. If you have questions, email Jean.

2. Mac is a hard requirement because we rely on iBooks. You can get a used one. I think the checklist says that you need a new one, but that is not true. About half of my class has old macs and they haven't had any compatibility issues.

3. There are a lot of apartments in Kalamazoo. You WILL find something.
For recommendations, look at the student housing survey. It's based on aggregate data from current students and what they recommend/don't recommend.

Last edited:
The WL is probably pretty big, because 2/3-3/4 (I can't remember which) of people are accepted from the waitlist. It seems from looking at this thread and past threads, that not a lot of people are rejected post in person interview. So either you'll be accepted or waitlisted. Additionally, it seems that people are accepted 1 month from being put on the waitlist. I would worry if I was put on the wl but nothing happened after a month or so.

Hope that helped!

Just lurking around this thread and I know this is old, but I wanted to address something in it in case anyone was still wondering about the waitlist here.

The WL is very flexible. It is pretty much a pool of candidates that WMed wants. They just have to figure out how to put together the best class that has a range of experiences. So when a spot is available, they look at the people currently holding spots, then into the pool of WL people and they select someone from the WL that they feel will make the entire class better. They're looking for people who will contribute unique experiences and perspective.

Basically, time is not a good indication. Accepted people have been on the WL for 2 weeks to 6 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
When do people typically move to Kalamazoo? Is 1 week before orientation enough time to move and settle in before school kicks off?

Congrats on your acceptance! Hope you join us.

1. For my year, the pre-matriculation portal appeared around May/June. If you have questions, email Jean.

2. Mac is a hard requirement because we rely on iBooks. You can get a used one. I think the checklist says that you need a new one, but that is not true. About half of my class has old macs and they haven't had any compatibility issues.

3. There are a lot of apartments in Kalamazoo. You WILL find something. Also, your situation is not unique. A classmate of mine was accepted off the WL a week before class started and they got an apartment with another classmate who happened to need a roommate.
For recommendations, look at the student housing survey. It's based on aggregate data from current students and what they recommend/don't recommend

Thanks for taking the time to type this out! I’ll look for the survey. And hopefully I’ll be fine with an older Mac too in that case.

I wish I can make second look day tomorrow to ask, but ah I can’t afford it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When do people typically move to Kalamazoo? Is 1 week before orientation enough time to move and settle in before school kicks off?
I arrived in Kzoo a little less than a week before which gave me lots of time to bond with my classmates. The week before is welcome week (not mandatory). Basically it’s a bunch of events Monday-Friday which provides new students the chance to hang with current students and get to know your classmates.

Hi everyone! Excited to be attending WMU but was unable to attend Second Look Day. Just received the accepted student newsletter and see a few weeks of "Transition to Medical School" both before and after the first block...what do we do during this time? Is the week after the block before or after our first exam?

Transition to med school is exactly what it sounds like. They ease you into med school by giving you 2 weeks to get used to the campus, the town, and your peers. You spend time doing MFR training which you heard about during your interview. Other than that, I think there are some seminars on study techniques, school resources, etc. It's a big long orientation with MFR thrown in.

The second transition to med school is after your first exam.

Does anyone know if there will be another round of merit scholarship notifications in April? Thanks in advance!

Hi all - I'm new here :) Can we talk housing a bit? For those out of state, how are you going about looking for a place to live? Are most of you sharing housing or living alone? Anyone looking for a roommate? I'd like to find a similar roommate - studies hard, non partying but likes to have fun and hang with friends, enjoy being active. This feels like a dating app!

Hi all - I'm new here :) Can we talk housing a bit? For those out of state, how are you going about looking for a place to live? Are most of you sharing housing or living alone? Anyone looking for a roommate? I'd like to find a similar roommate - studies hard, non partying but likes to have fun and hang with friends, enjoy being active. This feels like a dating app!

I'm also out of state and I've been keeping an eye on the housing sheet that was shared in the Facebook group! I've just been Googling apartment complexes in the area but haven't really started to make concrete plans yet :)

Hey everyone, current M1 here to try and answer questions. Currently in neuro, so I will try to answer when I can. I was also OOS so I can answer questions about coming to kzoo and whatnot

It's a good thing I went to my doctor for immunizations this early. My HepB titer is below 10, so I am going to have to repeat the series. Ah! Will take me a bit.

It's time to get on those pre-matriculation requirements, esp immunizations, folks. The most recent newsletter mentioned: physical, immunizations, sending transcripts, computer info. And I think we need to also have proof of insurance in order before school starts.

Current students: if you can chime in on what else we need, that would be great!

Last edited:
A question for current students:

I am a woman with a small frame and so I need to watch for my safety sometimes. I’m wondering how safe downtown Kalamazoo is to be walking alone at night after an evening of studying?

Is there any precautions I should take? Recommended self-defense? (I carry mace, but tbh I don’t trust my instincts if attacked to be able to retrieve the bottle)
Hmm I’m a guy but from my perspective, it depends a few different factors actually since some days of the week (friday & weekends) tend to have more foot traffic since folks are out and about enjoying the nightlife. Also, in the summer overall there are more people out a little later since it’s warmer and etc, but I personally wouldn’t recommend walking home (biking maybe) if you plan on staying after 9-ish pm if your walk is farther than half a mile out or farther than around the block. From what I’ve seen in my (almost) two years here and living across the street, folks often walk home earlier, come back with their car and park it in front of school if they plan on staying really late. Otherwise your solid bet may be to leave with a classmate or go study at a classmate’s place if its closer to yours.

But no worries though! Maybe another student can speak to this but I’ve not heard of any crazy stories of anything happening to someone walking home. And you’ll have more than enough time to get the hang of things and most of the classes all have some relatively small frame girls so they can speak directly to their experiences.

Cheers,

Danny

Hmm I’m a guy but from my perspective, it depends a few different factors actually since some days of the week (friday & weekends) tend to have more foot traffic since folks are out and about enjoying the nightlife. Also, in the summer overall there are more people out a little later since it’s warmer and etc, but I personally wouldn’t recommend walking home (biking maybe) if you plan on staying after 9-ish pm if your walk is farther than half a mile out or farther than around the block. From what I’ve seen in my (almost) two years here and living across the street, folks often walk home earlier, come back with their car and park it in front of school if they plan on staying really late. Otherwise your solid bet may be to leave with a classmate or go study at a classmate’s place if its closer to yours.

But no worries though! Maybe another student can speak to this but I’ve not heard of any crazy stories of anything happening to someone walking home. And you’ll have more than enough time to get the hang of things and most of the classes all have some relatively small frame girls so they can speak directly to their experiences.

Cheers,

Danny

Thank you, Danny!

I didn’t consider bringing my car at night even though I am planning to live close to campus. That sounds like good plan. I’m normally introverted, so I’m estimating half of the nights I’d be going to and fro solo.

Was just accepted off the waitlist this afternoon via a phone call from the Dean which was a nice surprise. But I will be withdrawing soon. Best of luck to those still waiting for that A!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my app as well and releasing those scholarships

What was the scholarship situation like at this school? I'm on the waitlist, but would only really give up my current acceptance in the context of a good financial package

What was the scholarship situation like at this school? I'm on the waitlist, but would only really give up my current acceptance in the context of a good financial package

Looking back at my notes from interview day, I asked how many students received scholarships from WMed. The answer I have written down is 35%. I'm not sure if that's all students or just first-year students, however. Hope that helps, I'm in a similar spot.

Withdrawn, best of luck everyone. Hope one of you guys will get my slot!

Accepted yesterday with a half-tuition scholarship but declined. Weird that I went from being a waitlisted applicant to getting a recruitment scholarship—surprising turn of events

Accepted yesterday with a half-tuition scholarship but declined. Weird that I went from being a waitlisted applicant to getting a recruitment scholarship—surprising turn of events

Interesting. I wonder why. I got a meager 5k scholarship and was accepted in November just 3 weeks after my interview.

Interesting. I wonder why. I got a meager 5k scholarship and was accepted in November just 3 weeks after my interview.
Holistic admissions, possibly influenced by "Plan to Enroll" data

Holistic admissions, possibly influenced by "Plan to Enroll" data

True. I think someone with a half tuition scholarship withdrew, so they picked someone off the waiting list with similar demographics/grades/experiences as the person who withdrew.

Accepted yesterday off the waitlist after ~5 months of waiting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone getting in! Really hoping for a call this week too, I’ve been on the WL since November lol

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the waitlist! :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone sorry for posting this again but I didn't get a response the last time. I'm being considered for the Bridge to MD program, and I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what percentage of those being considered end up getting accepted.
It's hard to say. I do know that they offered 10 people last year and 8 accepted. It's kinda nice because as long as you finish the requirements you are a sure in for the upcoming MD class, or if you'd rather apply elsewhere you will have a Masters degree added to your CV.

Seems like the admissions office has been busy recently? The matriculation portal was supposed to be up by now (they said mid-May in the April accepted student newsletter). And there hasn’t been an accepted student newsletter this month yet.

I just want that @.edu email already so I can get my MacBook Pro cheap on a student discount lol.

Seems like the admissions office has been busy recently? The matriculation portal was supposed to be up by now (they said mid-May in the April accepted student newsletter). And there hasn’t been an accepted student newsletter this month yet.

I just want that @.edu email already so I can get my MacBook Pro cheap on a student discount lol.

I would double check to see if you're receiving these e-mails and that they are not in your spam folder. The monthly student newsletter was sent on May 16th and the matriculation portal details was sent earlier today.

I would double check to see if you're receiving these e-mails and that they are not in your spam folder. The monthly student newsletter was sent on May 16th and the matriculation portal details was sent earlier today.

I received the info! I was looking at the wrong email the whole time. Feel so dumb.

Today was a good day. Thanks to the edu email, Im going to get a $400 discount on my MacBook Pro, and a 6 month free trial with amazon prime!!

Which MacBook pro did you end up getting?

So I ended up misunderstanding. It’s a $100 discount... not that big of a deal I guess.

I haven’t bought it yet, but I’m looking at the the 2.3 ghz 13 inch. The cheapest one basically. Which are you getting?

So I ended up misunderstanding. It’s a $100 discount... not that big of a deal I guess.

I haven’t bought it yet, but I’m looking at the the 2.3 ghz 13 inch. The cheapest one basically. Which are you getting?

I haven't decided yet, but I most likely will be getting the cheapest on as well. I am not ready for the transition from PC to Mac :arghh: