2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application was finally moved to "experience review". I submitted my secondary on 7/25th. Hope I hear back more good news!

+1
Not sure what to expect after reading the 516 average post--- my mcat is a lot lower than that, but still moved onto experience review, maybe they're really holisitc

Members don't see this ad.

Also- Does everyone get moved onto the experience review? Or do they only choose select students to move forward?

I have been “under consideration for phone interview” since 7/20. What would be the typical turnaround time for an actual phone interview invite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email about a month ago telling me they received my primary and to expect a secondary. My MCAT score came in today. How soon can I expect to receive their secondary?

is it unwise that I am not applying to this school given that I am a michigan resident? I assumed I wouldnt have any advantages since its private and its MCAT median is way above mine.

is it unwise that I am not applying to this school given that I am a michigan resident? I assumed I wouldnt have any advantages since its private and its MCAT median is way above mine.
Current M1 here: You should really apply here. They say there’s no in state preference but I think that’s not so true. The majority of people at this school come from MI and Cali. Specifically if you’re from the south west region then they would really give you preference. Also I want to point out that although the median is 516, they take a wide range of mcat scores from 503-524. Additionally, this mostly applies to URM applicants, they simultaneously consider you for the bridge to MD program which is an SMP pretty much guaranteeing you a spot in the next class asuming you perform satisfactorily.

Reactions: 1 user
Current M1 here: You should really apply here. They say there’s no in state preference but I think that’s not so true. The majority of people at this school come from MI and Cali. Specifically if you’re from the south west region then they would really give you preference. Also I want to point out that although the median is 516, they take a wide range of mcat scores from 503-524. Additionally, this mostly applies to URM applicants, they simultaneously consider you for the bridge to MD program which is an SMP pretty much guaranteeing you a spot in the next class asuming you perform satisfactorily.
If you’re not from MI but you have ties to the southwest region, do you still get a preference

I am from the Detroit area. high gpa, exceptional research and leadership activities, but low mcat cuz of CARS (505). such an L

If you’re not from MI but you have ties to the southwest region, do you still get a preference
As long as you stated your reasoning they should give you some kind of special consideration.

Fun fact: Class of 2022's median MCAT = 516 per WMed's Twitter. Pretty high for a relatively new school! Wonder what this means for their soon-to-come US News ranking.

Was that matriculants, or just acceptees?

Hmmm. Who among my classmates is this soysizle? I must discover your true identity...

Checked portal and saw that my experiences review was completed earlier today, but haven't received an email yet

Fun fact: Class of 2022's median MCAT = 516 per WMed's Twitter. Pretty high for a relatively new school! Wonder what this means for their soon-to-come US News ranking.
I am rather curious about their strategy of targeting high MCAT scorers that fell through the cracks from higher ranked schools. I am pretty sure I was only accepted to keep their median MCAT score stat lol, the rest of my application was relatively poor. It could be a strategy to boost STEP scores to attract applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am rather curious about their strategy of targeting high MCAT scorers that fell through the cracks from higher ranked schools. I am pretty sure I was only accepted to keep their median MCAT score stat lol, the rest of my application was relatively poor. It could be a strategy to boost STEP scores to attract applicants.

that's a good hypothesis, I agree and that's why I didn't apply to here

Hmmm. Who among my classmates is this soysizle? I must discover your true identity...
You're the one person from Georgia so I know your identity! :p

When do they start sending out in person II's?

Finally done with the experiences review and under consideration for a phone II

Review started 7/24 and done sunday apparently

Anyone have a phone interview yet? What’s it like... very casual?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Average mcat last cycle was 516
Does anyone know if WMed is open to OOS students? Even if our MCAT is not that high

Anyone have a phone interview yet? What’s it like... very casual?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
they ask you 7 questions and don't give you any feedback. We were asked not to disclose the questions, but they were normal interview questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Consideration for phone interview today, Experience review started 7/24
LM 70-72, IS

Average mcat last cycle was 516
Does anyone know if WMed is open to OOS students? Even if our MCAT is not that high
I’m OOS with an mcat below their median and I call this school my home now :)

when did you under consideration? Congrats!!
Thanks! Under consideration 7/13 and experience review complete 1.5 weeks ago.

Anyone knows what kind of questions they ask in phone II? Are they pretty standard interview questions?

phone interview invite as well!

....meanwhile....mine still says review started

Anybody notice their FAQ's say 5 LORs max, but main admissions info says 4 max... I submitted 5! Hopefully its all gravy :shrug:

ie: "Applicants must submit a minimum of three and no more than four letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letters Service."

VS

"Applicants should submit a minimum of three -- and no more than five -- letters of recommendation."
I also submitted 5 letters, I'm hoping it's not a big deal!

Phone II also! LM between 63-67. Non-trad and URM. Anyone know roughly how many of these they send out?

How long does it take from primary submission to secondary invitation?

Also got a phone interview, kind of nerve-wracking though, tbh. You can't gauge the listener's response to your question. You don't even know how many people are listening in on the conversation!

Haven't done my phone interview yet, btw

While everyone is getting phone II, I am siting here, waiting for my secondary :( should I be worried?

While everyone is getting phone II, I am siting here, waiting for my secondary :( should I be worried?
Maybe, I just added this school to my primary app 2 days ago and received the secondary today

Phone II last Wednesday!

Experience review complete 7/27 / OOS / Lizzy M ~70

I thought this was interesting:
"This interview will be carried out by an independent contractor who has no access to the rest of your application."

That will limit the type of questions they can ask.

Best of luck everyone!

Phone II!

Instate with ties to the region

Last edited: