2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol I think you’re the only one here whose gone through the phone II
really? a bunch of people said they got the invite the same day I did. I guess it doesn't really matter either way, though

Members don't see this ad.

So I was scheduled for a phone interview today but I did not receive a call from them. Did this happen to anyone else?

So I was scheduled for a phone interview today but I did not receive a call from them. Did this happen to anyone else?

Didn't happen to me but oh my goodness this would be my worst nightmare- I hope everything gets squared away!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is literally my worst nightmare. How does that even happen. These people literally have one job

Phone II last Wednesday!

Experience review complete 7/27 / OOS / Lizzy M ~70

I thought this was interesting:
"This interview will be carried out by an independent contractor who has no access to the rest of your application."

That will limit the type of questions they can ask.

Best of luck everyone!
As in you already did the interview?

In case anyone was curious, it looks like around 17% of applicants get invited for a phone II (600-700) and nearly half of those people get invited for an in person II according to last year’s thread

Edit- it looks like around 420 People will get an in person II so I’m guessing it’s closer to 800 phone II

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I got a phone interview last year but totally bombed it haha, hears hoping to another 1 at least.

I got a phone interview last year but totally bombed it haha, hears hoping to another 1 at least.

I thought they just asking basic questions in the phone interview. It's even conducted by a third independent company. Should I be worried about this??

I thought they just asking basic questions in the phone interview. It's even conducted by a third independent company. Should I be worried about this??
+1. Everyone including their website says you can’t really prepare for it so I’m not sure if it’s worth being overly worried anymore

Anyone else have a status where the Experiences Review was completed before it even started?

Experiences Review Completed 08/14/2018 10:30 am
Experiences Review Started 08/14/2018 10:39 am

Could you expand a little more on your experience? My phone interview is next week and I wasn't planning on doing a lot of prep but now I'm unsure

Could you expand a little more on your experience? My phone interview is next week and I wasn't planning on doing a lot of prep but now I'm unsure

I dont think you can prep for it besides just know your AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think you can prep for it besides just know your AMCAS

I kind of doubt we're going to need to know our application for the phone interview considering it is administered by a third party company. I imagine it would be closer to the "personality test"/ethics questionnaire we had to fill out for the secondary. I guess its worth looking back at previous years threads to know for sure

I kind of doubt we're going to need to know our application for the phone interview considering it is administered by a third party company. I imagine it would be closer to the "personality test"/ethics questionnaire we had to fill out for the secondary. I guess its worth looking back at previous years threads to know for sure
they're not going to ask you about the specifics of your application

My reply would be the same. In addition, with any interview for a school or a job, I would keep their mission/values in mind and how you can relate to that.. For my phone interview, I made a list on a whiteboard about details in my application in case I forgot them in the moment.

This is from the 2017-2018 WMed thread.

So yeah, good luck everyone!

Had the phone interview today. It's very friendly and relaxing, do not be stressed about this. The questions are designed to get to know you, and almost felt like some random topics I chat with my friends haha.

Reactions: 4 users
Just submitted + finished the online assessment. Good luck everyone! I saw a post in this thread earlier about a student who only felt like he was getting love because of his MCAT score.. hopefully I get the same treatment lol. Excited to apply here it seems like a great new program.

Is the experience review essentially a determination for a phone II?
Currently undergoing this step and curious what to expect next.

Is the experience review essentially a determination for a phone II?
Currently undergoing this step and curious what to expect next.
I feel like everyone goes through this step and if they like you, you get a phone II. If not, I'm guessing it's a R or a hold

Got an email saying the review is complete- but no phone II- so thats great...

Wait is that different than the under consideration for phone II email?

nope, its the same. The email says "Your application has completed the Experiences Review step in the application review process at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and is now under consideration for a Telephone Interview."

Anyone have any advice for the phone II? Have mine coming up soon and wondering about peoples' experiences so far

Anyone have any advice for the phone II? Have mine coming up soon and wondering about peoples' experiences so far
It might be awkward. At least I thought mine was. Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification. You probably can’t do much to prepare either lol. I tried and it wasn’t very helpful

Has anyone been in "experiences review" for over two weeks? Mine started on the August 7 (submitted my secondary on the 6th). I'm not sure if I should be worried/if it's a sign that they're on the fence about me since their initial email said that the review generally takes up to two weeks, but I guess I also submitted late-ish.

Campus II today! Phone interview 1.5 weeks ago....honestly I thought I bombed that so don't worry of you didn't think you did that well!

Reactions: 3 users
Campus II! Phone interview last friday

Phone II just now. Submitted 7/23. Experience review started 7/24 and ended 8/1. So 3 weeks between experience review and phone II for those that are worried. They have plenty of 30 minute slots per day so you'll be able to complete it soon after receiving the invite and move on to campus II consideration. Doing mine Tuesday as I'm on shift the other available days. Hoping it's as easy and conversational as others have reported.

Phone II just now. Submitted 7/23. Experience review started 7/24 and ended 8/1. So 3 weeks between experience review and phone II for those that are worried. They have plenty of 30 minute slots per day so you'll be able to complete it soon after receiving the invite and move on to campus II consideration. Doing mine Tuesday as I'm on shift the other available days. Hoping it's as easy and conversational as others have reported.
+1 on phone II

Campus II! Whoooo

Reactions: 2 users
just submitted everything today finally. low gpa but high MCAT, so I'm hoping for some love from WMU!

Phone II today! Submitted on 8/1, experiences review started 8/7 and finished 8/20. Recovering from a cold with a nasty cough, so I'm scheduling my interview for a week from today in hopes that my voice will be better by then...

Phone II today! Experience review started 7/31, in consideration for phone interview 8/13, OOS

phone II! experience review started 7/31, completed 8/16, offered 8/22

Campus II!

Guess I'm headin to Kzoo

Got my phone II yesterday! Experience review started 7/24 and completed 8/7

Hey just curious what dates are some of the first campus interviews?

Good luck!

congratulations! do you mind speaking to the format of the phone interview as you experienced it?
They’ll explain the format at the start. They ask you 7 questions you give an answer after each one and they move onto the next one

That's great to know, thanks! Were the questions very straightforward and easy to answer?
They’re pretty straight forward. Whether they’re easy to answer or not is kinda dependent on you. The one thing I did learn is that You can’t really prepare for these but I would have a list of topics/stories you can talk about/adapt

So this secondary slipped through somehow when I was verified. I received it initially on 8-8 but I didn't know until they sent a second email today about it. In the email it said that they prefer to have it submitted within 10 days. I like this school, but I don't want to throw away $100 if they are pretty solid on that 10 day rule. Does anyone think it's still worth it to submit it now?

So this secondary slipped through somehow when I was verified. I received it initially on 8-8 but I didn't know until they sent a second email today about it. In the email it said that they prefer to have it submitted within 10 days. I like this school, but I don't want to throw away $100 if they are pretty solid on that 10 day rule. Does anyone think it's still worth it to submit it now?
Where does it say they need it back by 10 days or your app gets thrown out? I’m guessing nowhere. It’s a suggestion. You miss all the shots you didn’t take man

Does anyone know usually how long it takes between completing the phone II and (hopefully) getting a campus II?

Does anyone know usually how long it takes between completing the phone II and (hopefully) getting a campus II?
From last year's thread, it seems like anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks (if not more), with most people hearing back from 2-4 weeks after their phone interview. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, this is based on last year's thread).

Phone interviewer told me approximately 1.5 to 2 Weeks.

So my portal is being very weird. My preliminary review was complete on 7/31, but the portal did not move onto consideration for a phone II even though I received an e-mail on 8/1 letting me know that my app had moved on to consideration for a phone II. It still has not updated. Should I be concerned? Sorry for being so neurotic.