2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today as well! OOS, complete 7/25

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First II of the season today! 9/20 =)

Anyone know how many interviews they offer vs how many acceptance they give?
When I interviewed I was told the post interview acceptance rate was about 65%. Also, there tends to be a lot of wait movement later in the cycle.

II today! First of the cycle. If you haven't received an interview yet, do not be discouraged. It is still VERY early in the process.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup first year student, currently in second week of our first block. Because its still so early, I'm not sure how the hours might change over time, so maybe some 2nd years can chime in on this too.
#1. Right now we are in OMM lab about 2hr per week, and from talking with 2nd year students, it does not take up much time outside of lab, like some only study for it a few days before the test.
#2. Ya, most students take step 1, I'm not 100% sure about our dedicated period, because when it was explained to me I was kinda confused, but I think its like 6 weeks or so, maybe @DrRedstone can comment on this. For your last point, our curriculum is intense, we covered my entire undergrad biochemistry class in our first week here lol

Hey there,

What is the deal with rotations?
I saw on their website that there's like 10 states where students do their rotations. Does that mean that I could be going to 10 different states in my 3rd and 4th year?

Hey there,

I saw on their website that there's like 10 states where students do their rotations. Does that mean that I could be going to 10 different states in my 3rd and 4th year?
I am friends with a third year at KCU and they do a lottery system I think. You put in your top 2 choices and depending on the class (some classes may have more that want to go to Denver or Florida), you are like 99% likely to get one of those choices. It is almost guaranteed that you can stay in KC if you'd like to, also. See you on 9/20!

Edit: Please correct me if I am wrong!

Hey there,

Lol no, that would be crazy. During your second year you will rank the rotation sites, and the school will match you with one of the sites, that is where you will do your 3rd/4th year. From what I’ve heard talking with students, I believe about 70% of the students get their first choice location, and 100% get one in their top three, but that’s just what I’ve heard from a couple upper classmates. However, no matter what school you go to, during your fourth year when you do you’re away rotations, those can be anywhere in the country, so if you do four of them you could do them in four different states if you want, but it’s up to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I am friends with a third year at KCU and they do a lottery system I think. You put in your top 2 choices and depending on the class (some classes may have more that want to go to Denver or Florida), you are like 99% likely to get one of those choices. It is almost guaranteed that you can stay in KC if you'd like to, also. See you on 9/20!

The only thing is it’s not guaranteed that you will stay in KC. Again, from what I’ve heard from upper classmates is that they have enough rotation spots in KC for a little over half of the class. But at the same time a large portion of the class, about half, do you want to go to other sites around the country. I for instance want to go to Denver (a popular rotation site at KCU)

Lol no, that would be crazy. During your second year you will rank the rotation sites, and the school will match you with one of the sites, that is where you will do your 3rd/4th year. From what I’ve heard talking with students, I believe about 70% of the students get their first choice location, and 100% get one in their top three, but that’s just what I’ve heard from a couple upper classmates. However, no matter what school you go to, during your fourth year when you do you’re away rotations, those can be anywhere in the country, so if you do four of them you could do them in four different states if you want, but it’s up to you.

Do you get to swap with people if you don't get your first choice?

can somewhat confirm. friend just moved to OKC after two years to finish

#2. I understand that KCU encourages its students to take the Step 1, which I think is great. Do you know how long dedicated is during second year? I hear that the curriculum here is particularly rigorous (modeled after RVU's (?)).
#2. Ya, most students take step 1, I'm not 100% sure about our dedicated period, because when it was explained to me I was kinda confused, but I think its like 6 weeks or so, maybe @DrRedstone can comment on this. For your last point, our curriculum is intense, we covered my entire undergrad biochemistry class in our first week here lol

We essentially had May 13 through the second week of July for all things boards related. There was a course called Transition to Clerkship during that time, but it really only took up a few hours a week until the end of May. We all freaked out about it, but it wasn't that bad. You've got plenty of time to study, but you will never feel like you have enough time to study.

Hey there,

Rotations will be done at one core site for 3rd year, which is determined via a "Match-like" lottery system. 4th year you essentially get free reign to travel around the country for audition rotations, but you have to have at least one ER rotation during that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this school an MMI interview? If so what should I expect ? Nontrad here I’m not really sure what the process is like

Is this school an MMI interview? If so what should I expect ? Nontrad here I’m not really sure what the process is like
Yes, MMI, we had to sign a non disclosure about the interview day, so I can’t go into detail, but if you review basic MMI questions you should be fine (I.e. ethical dilemma, think ok you feet questions, etc.)

Meanwhile- me over here IS and with stats way above their averages waiting for a secondary... :lame:
I think most everyone gets a secondary, so just hang in there. Also, make sure you check your spam folder, I had a few secondaries and an II end up in my spam folder last cycle.

Yes, MMI, we had to sign a non disclosure about the interview day, so I can’t go into detail, but if you review basic MMI questions you should be fine (I.e. ethical dilemma, think ok you feet questions, etc.)

Thanks, are you authorized to tell me if there is a standard interview component mixed into the interview day as well? Like standard questions

Thanks, are you authorized to tell me if there is a standard interview component mixed into the interview day as well? Like standard questions
One of them was kinda like a standard interview question. I seriously wouldn’t worry much about the interview (I know that’s hard to do lol) but it was very relaxed and conversational.

I gather that you're an incoming student this year at KCU, and thanks for being in this thread! I had two questions if you had the time:

#1. I was curious about the time allotted to OMM at KCU - would you happen to have any estimates in regards to hours/week?

#2. I understand that KCU encourages its students to take the Step 1, which I think is great. Do you know how long dedicated is during second year? I hear that the curriculum here is particularly rigorous (modeled after RVU's (?)).
Maybe one lecture and 2 hours of lab a week for OMM.

It's top ten now. Or was last year. Have more info after Septembers rotation fair

I wouldn't call it true MMI, I think its 3 questions with 3 people.

Received II just now, OOS, LM 64. Complete 7/24. Will be interviewing in KC on 9/18.

Really ecstatic about this one!

Reactions: 4 users
II today.
Not sure if I want KC or Joplin.
1st world problems.

I understand that DO schools as a whole emphasize primary care. I do have an interest in primary care, but I also haven't thrown surgery out of the equation. Given this, does anyone know how KCU ranks up against the other DO schools in terms of matching surgeons. I only ask this because of its urban campus, rigorous curriculum with minimum OMM, while also having their own surgical residencies.

II today.
1st world problems.
I chose Joplin. The fact they have rotations at their own hospital is significant to me considering KC students rotate alongside students from other schools.

I chose Joplin. The fact they have rotations at their own hospital is significant to me considering KC students rotate alongside students from other schools.

Literally just reading about this on an old SDN and reddit post and I think I'm gonna choose Joplin too.

II today.
1st world problems.
I chose KC just because Joplin is less Urban. Rotating hospital aside, I need to be in a city to be happy.

Just read that where you interview does not affect where you'll end up.
Either way, Joplin is pulling me more since I just saw Saturday interviews - no work days lost.

I chose KC just because Joplin is less Urban. Rotating hospital aside, I need to be in a city to be happy.

Yea, a bit nervous about a rural setting, I've always lived in the 'burbs and worked on the city.

Yea, a bit nervous about a rural setting, I've always lived in the 'burbs and worked on the city.
Its not that rural, sheesh. I grew up in the central valley in California in the 80's. That was rural.

II OOS! Really pumped about this one

II as well! OOS. Interviewing 9/20 at KC.

I understand that DO schools as a whole emphasize primary care. I do have an interest in primary care, but I also haven't thrown surgery out of the equation. Given this, does anyone know how KCU ranks up against the other DO schools in terms of matching surgeons. I only ask this because of its urban campus, rigorous curriculum with minimum OMM, while also having their own surgical residencies.
Not sure about other schools, but we had 12 gen surgery and 8 ortho in the last match

How in the hell do you get to the Joplin campus without a car?

How in the hell do you get to the Joplin campus without a car?
There is an airport in town with Americsn Airlines from Dallas and Chicago. There is also Uber and Lyft in town as well.

II! Picked Joplin bc no dates for KC and it is closer. 9/12

I was in the same boat. I'll be in Joplin come 9/26
Did you select KC campus or did you put no preference? My portal only shows KC and shows no options for interview dates. Don’t have an option to schedule an interview in Joplin

II today as well, my first! Opted to Joplin after deliberation as I think it's better to secure that early date rather than wait for KC openings (then next one won't be until October) even though it's more pricey to fly in to Joplin.

Congrats to the people that received II's! I just got mine today also, scheduled for 9/25 Joplin

Did you select KC campus or did you put no preference? My portal only shows KC and shows no options for interview dates. Don’t have an option to schedule an interview in Joplin
I selected "both". I would maybe call if I were you.