2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else from 2/28 interview at JB campus get an interview decision already?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those curious what our school's response to COVID-19 has been:
-First and second year education has been moved to totally online. No idea how the physical portion of labs and OMM are going to be made up yet. Campus is open but they ask that students don't meet in groups.
-Third year rotations have been suspended. We're going to be given some sort of online education that meets our educational requirements for the missed rotations.
-Fourth year rotations are optionally suspended. If don't feel comfortable in a rotation due to lack of supplies or possible exposure you are free to suspend and make it up with some kind of online education.
-In person match day celebrations were canceled. No word on if graduation will proceed.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted to JB about an hour ago via email! Interviewed 2/28! I’m a third time applicant and this is my first acceptance so I am SO EXCITED!
Would you mind sharing your stats?

Would you mind sharing your stats?
Sure! I always hope sharing my stats will give people some hope.

I have a 503 MCAT, a 3.2cGPA, and a 3.1sGPA including both my undergrad and special masters. I have about 200 shadowing hours in different specialities, no DO shadowing and no DO letter. I have 4 years of paid research in gene therapy with 1 publication and also lots of volunteering and clinical hours in home health. This is my third cycle but the first year I have applied DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I be worried about the Partial bill due on April 16th? No one has replied to my email yet

Reactions: 5 users

I have a 503 MCAT, a 3.2cGPA, and a 3.1sGPA including both my undergrad and special masters. I have about 200 shadowing hours in different specialities, no DO shadowing and no DO letter. I have 4 years of paid research in gene therapy with 1 publication and also lots of volunteering and clinical hours in home health. This is my third cycle but the first year I have applied DO.

Congratulations buddy!! You deserve it. I'm still on waiting list hoping to get an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations buddy!! You deserve it. I'm still on waiting list hoping to get an acceptance.
+1. And congrats to those that got in! Fingers crossed more acceptances from the waitlist come out soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Do wait list acceptances tend to come out once a month or more/less frequently? Anyone know how closures are affecting the number or timing of acceptances?

Should I be worried about the Partial bill due on April 16th? No one has replied to my email yet
I just saw my bill as well. It's really weird that they'd ask for half of the bill by April 16th. What happens if you have multiple acceptances? I also emailed them, still waiting on a reply

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw my bill as well. It's really weird that they'd ask for half of the bill by April 16th. What happens if you have multiple acceptances? I also emailed them, still waiting on a reply
That’s what I’m wondering too! Seems so early...

Got partial bill due in April, but no financial aid yet. Anyone else?

That’s what I’m wondering too! Seems so early...

Don't worry about having to pay for anything by that deadline. Just make sure that you have filed your FAFSA by that date. Loans usually post in August.

Don't worry about having to pay for anything by that deadline. Just make sure that you have filed your FAFSA by that date. Loans usually post in August.

So we don’t have to apply for loans before April 16? I filed for financial aid a while ago, so I was confused as to why it didn’t show...The sudden bill email scared me haha

So we don’t have to apply for loans before April 16? I filed for financial aid a while ago, so I was confused as to why it didn’t show...The sudden bill email scared me haha

Nope. The same thing happened to me last year and it concerned me, but our financial aid/registrar said it was ok (also think they mentioned the billing cycle email was automatic due to NYIT undergrad campus something like that). I ended up applying for loan in like June/July and all was well. If you want just send an email to the financial aid office, but I'm pretty sure its still the case.

Does anyone know when we apply for grad plus loans? Would we wait until we know how much we will receive from FASFA?

anyone know when 2020 match results might be posted?

Does anyone know when we apply for grad plus loans? Would we wait until we know how much we will receive from FASFA?
From the NYITCOM financial aid page. Apparently you have to get your award letter first!

Attachments

• A30C90CA-13BF-4DAB-813D-3F8C204EBC72.jpeg
    A30C90CA-13BF-4DAB-813D-3F8C204EBC72.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 119
did anyone reach out to bursar about this matter, just in case?

Is anybody still chilling in WL land? I got axed at my state school today, so I'm wondering if sending a letter of intent makes sense now. This is my only lifeline- otherwise, I'm looking at a second cycle. I was WL'd about a month ago.

Is anybody still chilling in WL land? I got axed at my state school today, so I'm wondering if sending a letter of intent makes sense now. This is my only lifeline- otherwise, I'm looking at a second cycle. I was WL'd about a month ago.
Yeah I got WL'd about a month and a half ago and nothing.

Yeah I got WL'd about a month and a half ago and nothing.
For me , about a month ago. I mean WL movement really starts in April, so it doesnt meant anything. WL here is my lifeline at this pt.

Accepted to OW today off the waitlist. Interviewed 1/9. Sent thank you note to interviewer. Put on WL on Feb 21 wrote my name down for it on 3/4. So pretty fast WL turnaround IMHO
So what makes me nervous about that is I was WL'd on the same day- got my
"yes" confirmed on 2/25. I am OOS and did not send an LOU, but when I sent my interview a thank you letter he did not reply to it, which does make me nervous, like he never recieved it or something.
Anyways, congrats! This school is my lifeline at this pt.

I interviewed 2/28 and have heard nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?

Would you send an LOI even before being placed on a waitlist?

Don’t forget, they said to send updates. They don’t care for letters of interest. This is according to my interview and a lot of people agreed to this too!

Hello,
So, for my peeps on the WL.
Im gonna share a bit of math with ya'll.
So, the first year class at NYITCOM is around 440 students. They take in around 7,000 complete applications.
I remember on the day of the interview, they said they take in around 700 students for interviewing. ( I also did math on this myself based on the length of interview season+ number of folks per day+ frequency of dates available).
So, they do axe post interview by leaving you in silence.
To fill a first year class of 440, they would have to accept anout 600. But it seems like they accept not even 440 , have a WL of at least 100, and then axe the rest. Do youguys see that this means they have to pull a significant portion off of the WL?My own state school has a WL yield of around 60-70 percent. It seems like this program does,too.
Edit: It has come to my attention that the Long Island location only has a class size of around 300 and that the "440" is including the Arkansas campus. My pt. still stands tho bc most programs still have to accept 1.5-2 times as much as their class size.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hello,
So, the first year class at NYITCOM is around 440 students. They take in around 7,000 complete applications.
I remember on the day of the interview, they said they take in around 700 students for interviewing. ( I also did math on this myself based on the length of interview season+ number of folks per day+ frequency of dates available).
To fill a first year class of 440, they would have to accept anout 600. But it seems like they accept not even 440 , have a WL of at least 100, and then axe the rest. Do youguys see that this means they have to pull a significant portion off of the WL?My own state school has a WL yield of around 60-70 percent. It seems like this program does,too.
Edit: It has come to my attention that the Long Island location only has a class size of around 300 and that the "440" is including the Arkansas campus. My pt. still stands tho bc most programs still have to accept 1.5-2 times as much as their class size.
It seems logical enough. I’m just thankful for your positivity lol! We got this! It’ll happen!

It seems logical enough. I’m just thankful for your positivity lol! We got this! It’ll happen!
Im normally not overly positive, but math doesn't lie! ( for example I knew the axe at my state school was coming).

hello! To students accepted to the NYITCOM-Jonesboro location that are still looking for a place to live: I signed a lease at stadium view, a very nice apartment complex a few minutes away from campus. I ended up deciding to go to a med school closer to home and I am now currently looking for someone to take over my lease. It is for a one bedroom/one bathroom in a 2b2b apartment. The apartment includes a washer/dryer, it comes completely furnished, and you'll get your on walk in closet and bathroom (with a shower). The rent is 549/month. I have pictures that I'd be happy to share. I am willing to pay the first month's rent to whoever takes over my lease. DM me if you're interested. thanks!

Just got my financial aid letter. They gave me instructions on applying for the grad plus loan. That loan is distributed April 15th it says, so the April 16th deadline sounds like it’s still a thing. I’m going to reach out to FA today because I’m waiting on another school’s financial aid, so I’m not sure if applying to their grad plus loan would hurt my chances of getting it somewhere else.

Hello,

I wouldn't rely too much on numbers because this is combined OW/JB and also includes students already admitted in the BS/DO program and also our Emigre Physician Program.

Say we do pay half of the tuition and then get accepted to another school after that. Does anyone know if we can get a refund/how that works?

I wouldn't rely too much on numbers because this is combined OW/JB and also includes students already admitted in the BS/DO program and also our Emigre Physician Program.
Well I did look up Long Islamd class size to be 300 and AK to be around 140 ish. And if the 700 interviewed is between both campuses than my pt is even stronger-
But you right about BS/DO.
Anybody else agree w/ me? I gotta know if my math is solid.

Last edited:
Well I did look up Long Islamd class size to be 300 and AK to be around 140 ish. And if the 700 interviewed is between both campuses than my pt is even stronger-
But you right about BS/DO.
Anybody else agree w/ me? I gotta know if my math is solid.

My point is not to discourage those on the waitlist, on the contrary, I would say have a lot of hope if you are on the waitlist because NYITCOM sees A LOT of waitlist movement especially in the spring and summer as do most DO schools. I personally got off the waitlist for NYIT in March of last year and one of my classmates got off the waitlist the week of orientation, so there definitely is movement and a chance for an acceptance.

My point is, however, is that those numbers are not concrete and you should not rely on them for statistical purposes. For example, I believe the 700 interviews that you are using is just for the 300 seats in the NY campus. When I interviewed in Arkansas last year there were 65 applicants on my January interview date, and I knew that they had been interviewing from the fall and still had interviews going into the spring.

Also during our first week of classes, it was mentioned that for Arkansas they accept 1 out of 9 students/seat. Also our entering class this year only had 120 students.

As you can see there are different numbers everywhere, this is very variable, so coming up a percentage such as 70% get off the waitlist may not be accurate and may upset some applicants later on thinking that they were not part of the "70%" of students pulled off the waitlist.

I know that being on the WL is very nervewracking, but I encourage you to just keep sending in meaningful updates and have hope in the process.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Does anyone know if they are still giving out II at OW? The last few years' threads said they stopped at the end of March but with the COVID situation that might have changed?

My point is not to discourage those on the waitlist, on the contrary, I would say have a lot of hope if you are on the waitlist because NYITCOM sees A LOT of waitlist movement especially in the spring and summer as do most DO schools. I personally got off the waitlist for NYIT in March of last year and one of my classmates got off the waitlist the week of orientation, so there definitely is movement and a chance for an acceptance.

My point is, however, is that those numbers are not concrete and you should not rely on them for statistical purposes. For example, I believe the 700 interviews that you are using is just for the 300 seats in the NY campus. When I interviewed in Arkansas last year there were 65 applicants on my January interview date, and I knew that they had been interviewing from the fall and still had interviews going into the spring.

Also during our first week of classes, it was mentioned that for Arkansas they accept 1 out of 9 students/seat. Also our entering class this year only had 120 students.

As you can see there are different numbers everywhere, this is very variable, so coming up a percentage such as 70% get off the waitlist may not be accurate and may upset some applicants later on thinking that they were not part of the "70%" of students pulled off the waitlist.

I know that being on the WL is very nervewracking, but I encourage you to just keep sending in meaningful updates and have hope in the process.

I wish you all the best of luck.
basically, the essence of the math is correct. In addition, it helps to put your faith in something. But in the end, adcoms are fallible and we just dont know what the inner workings are.

basically, the essence of the math is correct. In addition, it helps to put your faith in something. But in the end, adcoms are fallible and we just dont know what the inner workings are.
Ofc,ofc. I was just doing a rough approximation as to why the WL is actually HL and not some cold comfort, is all. ( Lotta ppl on here feeling like a WL is a soft R).
I talked a lot about why DO in my interview, my stats are strong for the school, Im really praying my chance of getting Accepted off the WL are at least the average.

Just received II today... quite unexpected, but cool! It appears to be a web-based video conference interview. Has anyone done their interview in this fashion?

Reactions: 3 users
Just received II today... quite unexpected, but cool! It appears to be a web-based video conference interview. Has anyone done their interview in this fashion?
There is a thread about COVID19 affecting this process, Id look there.

Congrats! Was this for OW or JB?