2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Secondary Prompt:

1. Which NYITCOM campus/site are you interested in attending? (The NYITCOM Admissions Committee reserves the right to recommend the best campus fit for you based upon your complete application.)

2. Would you consider attending either campus?

3. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

4. Describe an experience you have had in interacting/relating with people whose backgrounds are different than your own. What did you learn from it? How did it change your perspective? (Max. 1000 characters)

5. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)

6. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

7. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM?

8. If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)

9. Do you have any immediate family members (ONLY grandparents, parents, brothers/sisters, spouses) who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine?

10. If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

11. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

Last edited:
This is the application cycle for fall 2021 correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
How likely is it to get accepted as an OOS?
It's doable. There's definitely an IS bias but I know plenty of people who came from OOS. The data they provide says 242:194 in-state/out-of-state, but those numbers include the AR campus so they're not super helpful

Source: was an OOS applicant

It's doable. There's definitely an IS bias but I know plenty of people who came from OOS. The data they provide says 242:194 in-state/out-of-state, but those numbers include the AR campus so they're not super helpful

Source: was an OOS applicant

Gotcha thanks!! Did you select your preference for the OW campus in the secondary?

Gotcha thanks!! Did you select your preference for the OW campus in the secondary?
I don't think they instated the "select your preference" thing till the year after I applied, as far as I remember I only applied to the NY campus

I had put OW as my preference but interviewed (and accepted) at the Arkansas campus. I'm from Texas for what it's worth so I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it.

Has anyone received a supplemental yet?

Nah, I'm actually not sure how they send their secondaries. Is it by email? or through aacomas?
Also, I was wondering if they send out secondaries to applications whose committee letter are not in yet?

Nah, I'm actually not sure how they send their secondaries. Is it by email? or through aacomas?
Also, I was wondering if they send out secondaries to applications whose committee letter are not in yet?

I think all secondaries are sent through email but NYIT is definitely through email.

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted primary 6/22, received secondary 6/24

--- @PapaGuava

1. Which NYITCOM campus/site are you interested in attending? (The NYITCOM Admissions Committee reserves the right to recommend the best campus fit for you based upon your complete application.)

2. Would you consider attending either campus?

3. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

4. Describe an experience you have had in interacting/relating with people whose backgrounds are different than your own. What did you learn from it? How did it change your perspective? (Max. 1000 characters)

5. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)

6. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

7. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM?

8. If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)

9. Do you have any immediate family members (ONLY grandparents, parents, brothers/sisters, spouses) who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine?

10. If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

11. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

Reactions: 1 user

First secondary!

Is there a wrong answer to this question?
I don't think there is necessarily a wrong answer, but most DO schools look for people who want to enter family medicine or internal medicine

PSA, there's a new MSAR-akin tool for DO schools now that's free to use. Figured I should share! Good luck everyone this cycle!

• Wow
Received my secondary this morning too! With the first question (about campus choice), the biggest reason why I would want to stay at OW is because of its proximity to NYC and I have family in Pennsylvania and am originally from GA. I would really prefer to stay on the east coast for those reasons and for the fact that the campus seems to be bigger with more students in OW. However, idk if these reasons are strong enough to answer the question properly. Could any previously accepted student pls help? Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Alright so for the challenge prompt, "Describe a challenge you've faced and the steps you took to overcome it," 1000 characters is making this difficult. Since it doesn't say anything like, "what have you learned/how has this defined you," do you guys think it's safe to leave that part out? I know people say that part is important but if the prompt doesn't ask then.....?

I asked my sis about tips on ending this challenge/adversity essay.
Her suggestion:
"... now I'm a bad b**** making waves"

I just might consider it.

Reactions: 3 users
would anyone be able to help me out with the differences between Old Westbury Campus vs the AR Jonesboro one?

Alright so for the challenge prompt, "Describe a challenge you've faced and the steps you took to overcome it," 1000 characters is making this difficult. Since it doesn't say anything like, "what have you learned/how has this defined you," do you guys think it's safe to leave that part out? I know people say that part is important but if the prompt doesn't ask then.....?
I'm also a bit unsure about this. What kind of challenge do we talk about?

Do you guys think they send out supplementary to everyone?
I think what you learned goes with facing a challenge and overcoming it, so I would probably add that in if you have the space; how it has defined you is probably fine to leave out

I'm also a bit unsure about this. What kind of challenge do we talk about?
Any kind of a challenge- whether you had to overcome something at work, in a course, in your personal life- for example maybe if you were struggling in a course in the beginning and then worked consistently hard to bring up your grade (and you can talk about the different steps you did to overcome maybe a low 1st exam score); professionally- I am an EMT, I've had to overcome a lot of challenges when it comes to cardiac arrest scenes (especially overdoses that turn into arrests); or maybe personally if you lost a close family member, or maybe a family member/close friend became very sick. Just some examples, hopefully that helps a bit!

I talked about working a full time job while going to school and trying to balance everything.
So it could be any challenge really, not necessarily something that aligns with the mission statement of the school?

Any kind of a challenge- whether you had to overcome something at work, in a course, in your personal life- for example maybe if you were struggling in a course in the beginning and then worked consistently hard to bring up your grade (and you can talk about the different steps you did to overcome maybe a low 1st exam score); professionally- I am an EMT, I've had to overcome a lot of challenges when it comes to cardiac arrest scenes (especially overdoses that turn into arrests); or maybe personally if you lost a close family member, or maybe a family member/close friend became very sick. Just some examples, hopefully that helps a bit!

It definitely does! I’m worried that losing a family member, though it has been my biggest challenge, is going to be a very generic story. What are your thoughts?

It definitely does! I’m worried that losing a family member, though it has been my biggest challenge, is going to be a very generic story. What are your thoughts?
I think it can be a cliche/generic, but it depends on how you address the issue. It is quite a challenge to lose a family member, so steps you took to overcome this strategy can make it less of a generic story and make it your own story. (if that makes sense)

I have 2 possible essays, thoughts welcome.

1) Immigrant, going through culture shock
2) Dependency on my sister, when she moved away for her masters, had to find a way to be independent, mature, etc.

#2 sounds kinda weird to me but I really did go through a tough time without her - Our parents (unknowingly) joined us at the hip even though she a yr older.
#1 I've used for other secondaries.

I have 2 possible essays, thoughts welcome.

1) Immigrant, going through culture shock
2) Dependency on my sister, when she moved away for her masters, had to find a way to be independent, mature, etc.

#2 sounds kinda weird to me but I really did go through a tough time without her - Our parents (unknowingly) joined us at the hip even though she a yr older.
#1 I've used for other secondaries.
probably #1

Secondary received: 6/24
Secondary submitted: 6/25

Has anybody received a confirmation that their secondary was processed?

Does everybody’s secondary email say the supplemental needs to be completed within 10 days? i’m writing a lot already for other schools and not sure if i’ll have this one done in time. will they not accept the secondary any later past these 10 days?

Secondary received: 6/24
Secondary submitted: 6/25

Has anybody received a confirmation that their secondary was processed?
Yup, I submitted mine on 6/24 and got the confirmation that my payment went through and app is complete.

Is submission just the paypal payment?
Seems like there is no button to click "Submit"
Got the paypal confirmation but that's it so far.
I'll give it a few hours.

Is submission just the paypal payment?
Seems like there is no button to click "Submit"
Got the paypal confirmation but that's it so far.
I'll give it a few hours.
Yes! I received the confirmation email from NYITCOM the next day. (I submitted around 8 PM).

Can anyone give insight into how strict their LOR requirements are? I'm a non-trad with 2 science LORs, 1 D.O, and 1 employer. I don't have a third non-science professor.

So I can't advance to the next section without answering the supplemental questions and I was wondering, do we take a photo or upload a photo for that part of the application?

Hey. Did any of you get the email for the supplemental questions even before verification?