2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: New York Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all — current student here and happy to help out any way I can. Take a look at last year’s thread too for some valuable basic info, and feel free to tag me if I don’t answer. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all — current student here and happy to help out any way I can. Take a look at last year’s thread too for some valuable basic info, and feel free to tag me if I don’t answer. Good luck!
Do you live close to Tarrytown or White Plains? If not, do you live in areas like Yonkers or Scarsdale? How is the commute? (I LOVE that area)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live close to Tarrytown or White Plains? If not, do you live in areas like Yonkers or Scarsdale? How is the commute? (I LOVE that area)

Some students definitely live in White Plains, Tarrytown, Elmsford, Greenburgh. Etc(about 10 minutes away). and I know some also commute from Yonkers which is a little farther (around 20 minutes). Most live on campus for the first year or two. I hope that helps!

Some students definitely live in White Plains, Tarrytown, Elmsford, Greenburgh. Etc(about 10 minutes away). and I know some also commute from Yonkers which is a little farther (around 20 minutes). Most live on campus for the first year or two. I hope that helps!
It does given family situation, can't live on campus (also the 5 dogs).

Sorry to ask another question, my son is 27 (yes) and will be finishing up ugrad at, or near, where/if I should get accepted. Are there schools nearby? (he has 4.0 in chem / Mandarin, looking to finish in micbio/biochem + Mandarin)

Says on MSAR NYMC doesn't accept online english credits... should i even bother applying? kinda sucks that that's the only requirement i'm missing

Says on MSAR NYMC doesn't accept online english credits... should i even bother applying? kinda sucks that that's the only requirement i'm missing

This one is over my head — I would recommend you check their requirements and send an email to them if you have questions about the specifics.

Edit to add: the email is [email protected]

Last edited:
It does given family situation, can't live on campus (also the 5 dogs).

Sorry to ask another question, my son is 27 (yes) and will be finishing up ugrad at, or near, where/if I should get accepted. Are there schools nearby? (he has 4.0 in chem / Mandarin, looking to finish in micbio/biochem + Mandarin)

I’m not sure the local reputation of undergrad microbiology/mandarin departments. There’s Pace university in Pleasantville and SUNY Purchase not too far away off the top of my head.

Yes. It's not a necessary requirement for applying. If you get in, just take it at a community college for $1k and easy A

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like there are no essays for the secondary. Can someone else corroborate this?

I have English credits... but they were taken online
Yeah it sucks. Online classes are just seen as bad. But are you really going to complain about having to retake it if you get it? I'd retake it anytime for an acceptance.

I cant view the first link. Says the page is no longer listed. anyone else having that issue?

I cant view the first link. Says the page is no longer listed. anyone else having that issue?
Yeah but i dont think that link really matters. Just go to the bottom to start the secondary. That link was just instructions.

Does anyone know the LOR requirements? I don't know which ones to send.

Other than filling out the secondary (the 1 page about relatives and social media) is there anything else we need to do?

Does anyone know if 2 science LORs and 1 MD is fine? Or is 1 non-science necessary?

secondary received in AM, submitted today as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where we can check the status of our application/when its marked complete/check to see if CASPER/Letters are in?

Unverified, LizzyM 72, secondary recieved 6/29/19 7:07PM IST (12:07 EST)
Secondary submitted 6/29/19 7:14 IST (12:14 IST)

Does anyone know where we can check the status of our application/when its marked complete/check to see if CASPER/Letters are in?

Yeah I'm confused because the email says this: "you can check your application status online (i.e. which of your letters of evaluation have been received or where your application is in our review process) at any time in the admissions cycle. Just go to http://www.nymc.edu; click on Future Students; click on Admissions Offices; choose SOM Admissions from the navigation bar; choose Secondary Application under "How to Apply" navigation bar; scroll down and click on "Check Status of Secondary Application" link."

But on the page that pathway leads to, I still don't see any link?

Yeah I'm confused because the email says this: "you can check your application status online (i.e. which of your letters of evaluation have been received or where your application is in our review process) at any time in the admissions cycle. Just go to http://www.nymc.edu; click on Future Students; click on Admissions Offices; choose SOM Admissions from the navigation bar; choose Secondary Application under "How to Apply" navigation bar; scroll down and click on "Check Status of Secondary Application" link."

But on the page that pathway leads to, I still don't see any link?

Yeah, there was no link for me either. One of the the the previous posts, they had a PDF with a link to some login page, but it required a username and password that I don't have...

Reactions: 1 users
What does a complete email say?
Dear ___... Thank you for submitting your AMCAS application to the New York Medical College (NYMC) School of Medicine. We are delighted you are interested in pursuing your medical education at NYMC..... blah blah blah.

Sorry, I think I may have confused people.Not complete email but rather "submitted successfully email" sorry! My bad!

Does anyone know how strictly they enforce the letter of rec requirement of someone from your major's department? I'm applying straight in and sadly did not obtain a letter from my major upper divs... However, I have 2 science (bio and chem) and 1 nonscience (music), and extra ones from research and volunteering.

Does anyone know how strictly they enforce the letter of rec requirement of someone from your major's department? I'm applying straight in and sadly did not obtain a letter from my major upper divs... However, I have 2 science (bio and chem) and 1 nonscience (music), and extra ones from research and volunteering.
I asked the question a week ago and got this response: "In response to your inquiry, you should send along a letter of evaluation from someone who has taught you in a [your major] course used for your concentration."

Okay so, I filled out the secondary, paid the fee, and have taken the casper. Am I good to go? It’s super confusing with all the other emails they sent. But basically that’s all I needed to do right? We don’t have to manually send the LOR they come from amcas ?

Yeah, there was no link for me either. One of the the the previous posts, they had a PDF with a link to some login page, but it required a username and password that I don't have...

Maybe they just haven't posted it yet because it isn't even July??

I have a professor from my major (biochem), my lab PI, and the doctor that I currently scribe for as my LORs. Do I even send the secondary?

I submitted mine, but haven't gotten a confirmation email. But when I go to the portal, it says I have submitted. anyone else have this issue?

I submitted mine, but haven't gotten a confirmation email. But when I go to the portal, it says I have submitted. anyone else have this issue?
Same, portal also says submitted so I think we should be alright

Reactions: 4 users
Also n
If i dont have a non-science professor letter of rec should i bother sending secondary? I have my PI but received science credit, I also have my gap year manager letter of rec, but nothing from a non-science professor. I emailed them asking but waiting on a response and just seeing if anyone asked before me and has already heard back.

A lot of schools require a letter from a non-science professor. In my opinion, it is not nearly too late to ask a non-science professor to write you a letter for this cycle. It is still June!!

If i dont have a non-science professor letter of rec should i bother sending secondary? I have my PI but received science credit, I also have my gap year manager letter of rec, but nothing from a non-science professor. I emailed them asking but waiting on a response and just seeing if anyone asked before me and has already heard back.
A lot of schools require a letter from a non-science professor. In my opinion, it is not nearly too late to ask a non-science professor to write you a letter for this cycle. It is still June!!

It's too late for me, most of my non-science professors are retired! (I'm very, very nontrad :p )

Seriously though, I also emailed them this question and am waiting for their response before I submit the secondary.

Is it still worth submitting a secondary if I don't have a letter from my major's department, but literally have everything else? Feels bad since they don't even have an essay!!!