2019-2020 Ponce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year a medical student from UPR- RCM told me in step scores goes UPR>SJB>UCC>PONCE. But that doesn't matter much because it may be pass or fail for your class. Match Rate is 88-90% in all the schools that vary from year to year.

Pros from SJB it required a research publication before graduating, at least obligated you will have research. It is also very focused on you getting community service and it uses NBME exams, SJB is accredited until 2026-2027 I think and way cheaper than the others.
Ponce's pros are bigger class size, pass or fail grading system with honors, flip classroom so classes are more discussions that learning (maybe a con depends on the person), big location and facilities, AOA, accredited until 2024

UCC pros: AOA

CONS
Ponce: Flipped classroom, pretty expensive, low step score compare to others, far from la metro where big hospitals are, big class more competition for AOA
SJB: no AOA, little underrated in Puerto Rico
UCC: Pretty expensive, accreditation is in probation

Cons of the three: low tier medical school, little to almost none residency programs associated with the school

AOA just matter if you think you can be a top-five to ten percent in your class
AOA is the medical school honor association
How hard would it be to match into a competitive specialty like derm, ortho from SJB vs UCC?

Members don't see this ad.

From any school in Puerto Rico, except UPR because it got their own program. It would be extremely hard now that step 1 will have no score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! For those of you with acceptances, would you feel comfortable with sharing your stats (GPA and MCAT)?

In State, 3.95 and 500, from UPRM. Didn’t have a lot of research and no interships. I did have community work and a nursing background from high school. I took a gap year and have been working with a neurologist as a nurse. I don’t know if that helped me for this particular school.

During my interview in late January, my group was told by our interviewers that Ponce usually picks students with high GPAs and average or slightly low MCATs. I believe this to be true as I know of two current MS1 students there who scored 496/497 and got admitted. Their class is also the biggest in Puerto Rico. 130+ applicants are accepted. I got my acceptance letter 6 days after the interview.

Good luck to everyone who is about to interview or is waiting for a response from the Admissions Committee.

Experience of how PHSU (PONCE) is from a current student

Experience of how PHSU (PONCE) is from a current student

Hello, may I ask you why did you apply to PHSU?
Thank you!

I apply to every school in Puerto Rico in hope to get accepted in one and get a MD. PHSU has a good reputation on the island. It was my first choice while applying, but now after researching the forums and asking questions to current students I am in crossroads.

Reactions: 1 user
I apply to every school in Puerto Rico in hope to get accepted in one and get a MD. PHSU has a good reputation on the island. It was my first choice while applying, but now after researching the forums and asking questions to current students I am in crossroads.
The reason I am asking you is because I was also accepted at UCC and San Juan Bautista. I am an OOS student who is currently trying to find more information about these schools. I am deciding where to go for my future studies.
Thank you so much for your input!

Last edited:

I think one of the most important things to take into consideration for your decision is how you perceive that the - tuition, research opportunities, administrative/faculty and student support, match rates and STEP scores - will benefit YOUR medical school experience. For many students, this is their only choice. As for me, I received II's from other puerto rican medical schools, however, decided to turn them down because PHSU is my first choice after touring each school and talking to MS3 students. PHSU is undergoing renovations, they aim to send students to the states for residency (my end goal), there is a plethora of research and volunteering opportunities, they have an honor society, offer clinical rotations in the states, and PHSU is known to have competitive STEP scores. At the end of the day, we have to objectively weigh the pros and cons for each school. And, unfortunately, if you dig long enough on SDN you will find negative aspects for every medical school - UCC and SJB included. Congratulations on your acceptances! Medical school will be hard no matter what and at the end of the day, we will have to make the best out of our situation.

Reactions: 3 users
I think one of the most important things to take into consideration for your decision is how you perceive that the - tuition, research opportunities, administrative/faculty and student support, match rates and STEP scores - will benefit YOUR medical school experience. For many students, this is their only choice. As for me, I received II's from other puerto rican medical schools, however, decided to turn them down because PHSU is my first choice after touring each school and talking to MS3 students. PHSU is undergoing renovations, they aim to send students to the states for residency (my end goal), there is a plethora of research and volunteering opportunities, they have an honor society, offer clinical rotations in the states, and PHSU is known to have competitive STEP scores. At the end of the day, we have to objectively weigh the pros and cons for each school. And, unfortunately, if you dig long enough on SDN you will find negative aspects for every medical school - UCC and SJB included. Congratulations on your acceptances! Medical school will be hard no matter what and at the end of the day, we will have to make the best out of our situation.
Hello, thank you so much for the information. Could you talk a little bit more about the opportunities to do clinical rotations in the mainland?

Has anyone received waitlist/rejection letters?

Ponce is accepting 150 students this year and I know a bunch of people that are holding acceptances but are not going there. I was one of them, I decided to go to SJB and will reject my acceptance tomorrow. I hope one of you get the space, have hope

Reactions: 1 users
Ponce is accepting 150 students this year and I know a bunch of people that are holding acceptances but are not going there. I was one of them, I decided to go to SJB and will reject my acceptance tomorrow. I hope one of you get the space, have hope

Hey PR premed, what helped you choose SJB? and when did you interviewed/ accepted
Thanks a lot for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PR premed, what helped you choose SJB? and when did you interviewed/ accepted
Thanks a lot for the info!

I was really undecided, so I ask a med student from SJB I knew about her opinion because she was in both PHSU MSMS (is a master's degree that simulated the first year of medical school) and is now in medical school in SJB. She explained several aspects of the medical school and in my opinion, SJB had the most to offer and a much friendly environment for the students. In addition, with just 64 students SJB requires the student a research publication to graduate and a summer research experience after MS1 that looks amazing in the CV . And even though PHSU has better research facilities for their PHD students with 150 students for MD this year I think finding research would be more difficult.

interview in november accepted in feb

Hello, thank you so much for the information. Could you talk a little bit more about the opportunities to do clinical rotations in the mainland?

It is basically up to you if you want to complete some clinical rotations in the mainland. All you have to do is ask the faculty and they will get you connected! However, It is more expensive considering you will have to seek temporary housing/flights/meals etc:. One of my mentors underwent 3 different rotations in the mainland - Louisiana, Texas, and Florida. This is not the most popular "selling point" of the school. But, I do think it is important to mention if your end goal is to get exposure in the states.

Does anyone have a list of programs and specialities where the class of 2020 matched this year?

Does anyone have a list of programs and specialities where the class of 2020 matched this year?
I am was searching and found for every other school in PR except this one. Also, send several emails to the institution a month ago about their 2019 match list and they ignored me.

I am was searching and found for every other school in PR except this one. Also, send several emails to the institution a month ago about their 2019 match list and they ignored me.
red flag

I was emailed yesterday about having an interview over Skype/Zoom due to COVID-19. Did anyone else get a message about this?

what are the stats of people getting interviews at this stage? i wonder if they will accept/interview later due to covid.

what are the stats of people getting interviews at this stage? i wonder if they will accept/interview later due to covid.
I would say they are interviewing people closer to their minimum required MCAT score (494). This school really cares about your score. I have a friend who interviewed back in November with a 501 MCAT (that’s high in PR) a 3.00 GPA and no extracurricular activities and got acceptance the week following his interview.

Have another friend with a 4.0 GPA, 498 MCAT, 700+ hours of shadowing, 1000+ hours of community service, three summer research internships and six semesters of research with publications who interviewed in February and got accepted in March.

I applied with a 495 and didn’t receive an invitation to interview with them. It wasn’t until I retook the MCAT (early February) and got a 505 that I got an invitation (the same day my score was up).

Everyone I interviewed with had ~496 MCATs.

Also, both of my friends and I are In-State applicants.

I got in with a 497 I think, im not sure anymore, but be aware, in events like "hurricanes, earthquakes, covid" the school not always respond fast and in the best way (MS1 here) JAJAJA im suffering. But congrats on anyone that gets accepted, the important thing is to become doctors and help people in moments like this one. MEDSCHOOL IS NEVER EASY, but is possible.

Reactions: 2 users
The new 80-million-campus will be built in St. Louis beginning this year. New opportunities are coming. What I don't like about the news is that I was told during my interview that it was going to be built in Ponce :unsure::unsure::unsure:

The new 80-million-campus will be built in St. Louis beginning this year. New opportunities are coming. What I don't like about the news is that I was told during my interview that it was going to be built in Ponce :unsure::unsure::unsure:

They are building a new school in St. Louis and a new building (in Ponce) with classrooms for the nursing and medicine students (I think it’s those two). There’s going to be a virtual open house April 6; maybe they’ll talk about it there or you could ask.

Is there any chat or Facebook group for the 2024 MD class already created?

Is there any chat or Facebook group for the 2024 MD class already created?
There is a Whatsapp chat. I went to the class of 2023 FB page, wrote to the admin and they added me :)

I spoke to one of the admins and have the link to said group! I’ll send it through dm

How hard would it be to match into a competitive specialty like derm, ortho from SJB vs UCC?

Alejandro Bugarini PGY2 is a SJB alumnus

Robert House PGY2 is also a SJB alumnus...

You will definitely be at a disadvantage coming for these schools. But if you got the research and and the score (step 2), you will have a shot.

How long did it usually take for you guys to hear back after the interview?

n z
How long did it usually take for you guys to hear back after the interview?
Ponce is usually pretty fast, but they were out from March 15-March 21, setting up to work from home. Later they where busy setting up the virtual open house that just ended yesterday and now they are free Thursday and Friday because of Holy Week, which means we probably won’t hear from them until next week... probably.

We have to be patient.

Reading that actually made me feel a lot better. Thank you so much!!
Best of lucks to everyone!

How many people have interviewed/been offered admission? Are people choosing Ponce?

I got in with a 497 I think, im not sure anymore, but be aware, in events like "hurricanes, earthquakes, covid" the school not always respond fast and in the best way (MS1 here) JAJAJA im suffering. But congrats on anyone that gets accepted, the important thing is to become doctors and help people in moments like this one. MEDSCHOOL IS NEVER EASY, but is possible.
Hey,

I have seen from a previous post that you are currently in PHSU. Do you have this year's match list and match rate?

do you recommend PHSU over the others?

Hey,

I have seen from a previous post that you are currently in PHSU. Do you have this year's match list and match rate?

do you recommend PHSU over the others?

honestly, If I could have choose San Juan bautista I would, they give shelf-like exams, PHSU exams ... suck honestly. I was only accepted here so, I had no choice, but I really wanted to get into SJB. and I don't have the match list and match rate :/

But yeah, If you could go to San Juan Bautista, I have friends that took the masters in PHSU and then went to SJB and LOVE IT. I did the Masters in Ponce and honestly nothing changed jaja. Like I said in another post, every time PR goes under a emergency they take tooooooo much ( really too much) time to communicate with students and it sucks honestly.

honestly, If I could have choose San Juan bautista I would, they give shelf-like exams, PHSU exams ... suck honestly. I was only accepted here so, I had no choice, but I really wanted to get into SJB. and I don't have the match list and match rate :/

But yeah, If you could go to San Juan Bautista, I have friends that took the masters in PHSU and then went to SJB and LOVE IT. I did the Masters in Ponce and honestly nothing changed jaja. Like I said in another post, every time PR goes under a emergency they take tooooooo much ( really too much) time to communicate with students and it sucks honestly.

How important is it to have NMBE tests for every block when the steps will be pass/fail from now on? I wouldn’t necessarily write this or the step 1 score as something to look into for every school, because everything will change for us. We are guinea pigs.

Match rates will change because step 2 scores, research, prestige and ranking will be taken into consideration. By building a school in St. Louis, Ponce will have more prestige than any PR school. They have school ranking (AOA), research, and they are partnered with hospitals all over PR, including Menotita which was originally partnered with SJB only. For the last 6 years they have had a consistent match rate of ~84% (not bad considering they admit 100 students each year and don’t have NBME test for each block). You should also consider that there are a lot of students in PR that don’t apply to the Match or apply differently for a residency (that 84% is only through the match, but it doesn’t mean that the other 16% isn’t in a residency program). What I am trying to say is that the match rate doesn’t tell you anything about the school.

This year, SJB had a 93% and UCC had 100% match rate when both schools have always been below 90%. That only tells you how well students did this year with step 1 being scored, but we have no idea how those numbers might change now that it’ll be pass or fail.

I would say Ponce, UCC and UPR-RCM are better choices than SJB just because the resources they provide will be help us more when applying for residency than the ones provided by SJB.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying SJB is a bad school to go to. I have friend in every school in PR and they are all happy where they are. But the game will change for us and we can’t expect the same result as before. It’s better to have the most you can to be competitive.

With that said, I wish everyone success wherever you end up and hope you become great MDs.

Reactions: 3 users
How important is it to have NMBE tests for every block when the steps will be pass/fail from now on? I wouldn’t necessarily write this or the step 1 score as something to look into for every school, because everything will change for us. We are guinea pigs.

Match rates will change because step 2 scores, research, prestige and ranking will be taken into consideration. By building a school in St. Louis, Ponce will have more prestige than any PR school. They have school ranking (AOA), research, and they are partnered with hospitals all over PR, including Menotita which was originally partnered with SJB only. For the last 6 years they have had a consistent match rate of ~84% (not bad considering they admit 100 students each year and don’t have NBME test for each block). You should also consider that there are a lot of students in PR that don’t apply to the Match or apply differently for a residency (that 84% is only through the match, but it doesn’t mean that the other 16% isn’t in a residency program). What I am trying to say is that the match rate doesn’t tell you anything about the school.

This year, SJB had a 93% and UCC had 100% match rate when both schools have always been below 90%. That only tells you how well students did this year with step 1 being scored, but we have no idea how those numbers might change now that it’ll be pass or fail.

I would say Ponce, UCC and UPR-RCM are better choices than SJB just because the resources they provide will be help us more when applying for residency than the ones provided by SJB.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying SJB is a bad school to go to. I have friend in every school in PR and they are all happy where they are. But the game will change for us and we can’t expect the same result as before. It’s better to have the most you can to be competitive.

With that said, I wish everyone success wherever you end up and hope you become great MDs.
I agree. The new medical campus in St. Louis will bring more opportunities and prestige to PHSU.

I agree. I have plenty of friends that are 4th-year students that tell me that the STEPS is often more about what YOU put in than what the school does. One of my friends that just matched to a surgery residency, her school did not introduce NMBE tests for every block and what she recommended me to do is to find a program online (she used Boards & Beyond) and go over the material they were covering at school within that program. These programs offer question banks similar to those we are going to be seeing in the steps. Sorry if I went on a rant, but this is something that concerned me as well and learning this information helped me gain a little perspective.

Reactions: 1 users

I mean, you have great points, I dindt consider that because Im taking the current Step, but anyways, I know im biased because I know how my school works, I dont know about the others, just by what others say. Just be sure that you ask enough people about the experience in the different schools. Mine in Ponce has never been good, but again, I havent take any clases in other schools so I dont know. I only know that my friends that did the MS in Ponce with me that are in SJB like better. But that might be relative also.

I also think that the step is what you PUT into it, like i read someone said, but again, if your school doesnt "push you" some people might not prepare until the time comes for the step ( but like you said, it will be pass/fail so that might not matter). I guess the experience is not the same for everyone, i just dont want people to get tru what im going right know here jaja but yeah. Good luck to everyone here, I really hope you all get to a school and be happy!!! its very hard, but its possible! <3 If any of you want info or something you can DM me, if I can i will help

I agree. I have plenty of friends that are 4th-year students that tell me that the STEPS is often more about what YOU put in than what the school does. One of my friends that just matched to a surgery residency, her school did not introduce NMBE tests for every block and what she recommended me to do is to find a program online (she used Boards & Beyond) and go over the material they were covering at school within that program. These programs offer question banks similar to those we are going to be seeing in the steps. Sorry if I went on a rant, but this is something that concerned me as well and learning this information helped me gain a little perspective.

BnB its great BTW. You will love it!!! and BTW! to everyone here! there are A LOT of resources, most of them are in google drives nd stuff, so ASK FIRST before purchasing!!!

I heard by current MD students that ponce is already transitioning to NBME tests...

I heard by current MD students that ponce is already transitioning to NBME tests...

Kinda. We have taken only for the physiology class but it wasnt 100% NBME, I think that only 25 questions. The first Fisiology was all nbme but we failed so they had to make a curve ***(Lectures where not for those kind of questions ( pathophysiology) ******and now they are only like 25 questions nbme and 65 from the professor. This is not good because at the end of the semester we take shelfs and they are 20 % of the final grade.

Is there a Facebook group made for class of 2024?