2023-2024 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has there been any movement with this school yet? I finished the MSMS program with a decent GPA, so I’m definitely eager to pursue admission here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
September 11th received secondary, submitted 09/29. Have not heard anything back yet.

Current M1 at the school, happy to answer any questions you all have!

Reactions: 1 users
Wonderful! I completed the MSMS program and did (I think) decently at it with a 3.6+ GPA, so I’m hoping fortune smiles on me for admission.

It ain’t the best GPA, but I think it is on the higher end? I don’t know - a lot of folks in the program wanted to go to PA, though I know a few very high GPA folks who want to do medicine.

EDIT: So how is the curriculum there and how many folks from the MSMS program got into your institution?
That's a solid GPA. Half of our M1 class is MSMS. I like the curriculum personally. We usually have exams every week, but you get used how to structure your studying pretty quickly. We have required in-person class time everyday apart from exam days and have videos to help prepare you for each class period. Having former MSMS students in the class has been super helpful, as they are able to share study resources and advice on how to attack each course/exam.

Last edited:
Sweet! So it will be a pretty similar pace to the MSMS.

Out of curiosity, when did you get your II and interview? I recall Ponce works on their stuff later in the overall cycle.
Ya most likely, you'll have community med, clinical skills, and PBL in addition to your repeat MSMS work. I applied early, heard back in November for II, interview in Dec, A in Jan. I don't know what the MSMS-MD timeline is though.

Last edited:
Ya most likely, you'll have community med, clinical skills, and PBL in addition to your repeat MSMS work. I applied early, heard back in November for II, interview in Dec, A in Jan. I don't know what the MSMS timeline is though.

Ah! Okay. So that means it might be soon for the interview cycle to begin.

Thank you very much!

Does the secondary have any essay prompts?

Didn’t know this school existed until just now scrolling SDN, and I’ve lived in stl my whole life. How long has this school existed? Is it a fully accredited Allopathic med school because I’m shocked I didn’t see it on AMCAS? Where is it located in STL? It’s way to late in the cycle to add it but god forbid no As next cycle it would certainly make the list

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t know this school existed until just now scrolling SDN, and I’ve lived in stl my whole life. How long has this school existed? Is it a fully accredited Allopathic med school because I’m shocked I didn’t see it on AMCAS? Where is it located in STL? It’s way to late in the cycle to add it but god forbid no As next cycle it would certainly make the list
It has preliminary accreditation. It is absolutely not to late to add this school, they have not started sending out II, they started in like January or something last year.
You add this school by adding Ponce on AMCAS. Then go on the secondary portal and fill it out for St Louis.

It has preliminary accreditation. It is absolutely not to late to add this school, they have not started sending out II, they started in like January or something last year.
You add this school by adding Ponce on AMCAS. Then go on the secondary portal and fill it out for St Louis.
Oh interesting, thank you!

this is third year of applications. they leveraged their puerto rico license to start this campus with 30 people.

Its not preliminary, it is a fully accredited school

this is third year of applications. they leveraged their puerto rico license to start this campus with 30 people.
Its not too far from Saint Louis University. Its fully accredited.

Definitely not too late to apply, send an app!

I see there are not many faculty members. It looks like anatomy and physiology taught by Chiropractors. I see one MD with a Pediatric fellowship teaching anatomy and clinical medicine.

Can current students tell your experience.

I understand you have rotations at Mercy that have not started yet and it depends on each individual how the material is grasped and analyzed.

1. Are there any other visiting professors with MD/DO teaching here?
2. How well do you feel you are prepared for STEPS/COMLEX?
3. Do they give any training for these exams?
4. Do you have any clerkships or anything starting in the early years or have any student-run clinics

Last edited:
Is there a complete email sent when everything is been received?

I see there are not many faculty members. It looks like anatomy and physiology taught by Chiropractors. I see one MD with a Pediatric fellowship teaching anatomy and clinical medicine.

I understand you have rotations at Mercy that have not started yet and it depends on each individual how the material is grasped and analyzed.

4. Do you have any clerkships or anything starting in the early years or have any student-run clinics
1. Yes we have visiting faculty that are physicians. We have physicians on staff too. It's easy to have connections with physicians if you make an effort even as early as first semester. Our dean has good connections with physicians in the St. Louis area and will help you if you want to target physicians from certain specialties.

2. I feel the courses are preparing me well as a M1. Most med students across the country use 3rd party sources to study for STEP anyways. We have metrics here at PHSU that predict how likely you will pass STEP.

3. We have Osmosis and might get UWorld soon. Our class did a group MedSchool Bootcamp and saved a lot of money for this year.

4. We have a student-run clinic in the works. We have a lot of office visits and standardized patient events built into the pre-clinical curriculum. Being in St. Louis is a big plus. There are numerous med related organizations and free clinics that are looking for volunteers. Also SLU and WashU are right next door and are open to collaborate with PHSU students. The location is ideal for a medical school, there is a big need with the patient population in the area.

Last edited:
Great questions! Will get back to you in a bit

Idk about question #1, I know a podiatrist, and 2 physician -scientist who gotten their medical degrees in their own countries ( i think india and nigeria) are also the professors. In regard to #2. heard from people they they feel like they are prepared to take STEP.
#3. They have USMLE questions built into the curriculum. They also partake in NBME’s
#4. I am not a student there so idk but their rotations are at different Mercy hospitals in saint louis and out of saint louis in other parts of missouri

Is there a complete email sent when everything is been received?
They may not because they have the application portal…

They send one after the secondary and payment. I actually received two emails. In the first one it said that transcripts were required for application review; so I sent them. I know they have received and opened some of my transcripts but the portal still shows those documents as outstanding. In the second email, it also confirmed my application was complete and just mentioned the next steps if eventually accepted (final transcripts showing completion of prerequisites and degree confirmation, background check, seat deposit, etc.).

They seem far more organized and responsive than last year’s thread suggest so you could always send an email to confirm.

They may not because they have the application portal…

They send one after the secondary and payment. I actually received two emails. In the first one it said that transcripts were required for application review; so I sent them. I know they have received and opened some of my transcripts but the portal still shows those documents as outstanding. In the second email, it also confirmed my application was complete and just mentioned the next steps if eventually accepted (final transcripts showing completion of prerequisites and degree confirmation, background check, seat deposit, etc.).

They seem far more organized and responsive than last year’s thread suggest so you could always send an email to confirm.
Yea I did and they called me telling me you really only hear anything if you are missing stuff, they also said II start going out Dec 1

Yea I did and they called me telling me you really only hear anything if you are missing stuff, they also said II start going out Dec 1
Nice. Thanks for sharing that additional information. At least now I can be a little bit less obsessive until December 1st.
Ah! Excellent!

Wonder if the II include both regular and MSMS students? I’m in the latter and would obviously love to get an assured II, but I know my GPA wasn’t the highest in my cohort.
I would assume doing well in their MSMS program (I think I saw you had a 3.6) gives you a leg up because you proved you can handle the work and handle their particular methods of instruction.

Did they have a threshold for guaranteed interviews? It seems like a 3.6 would make it. Or were you referring to the fact that other programs have more directly stated linkages to their medical schools? In any instance, good luck!

Do you guys know if there average stats for admission are pretty similar for the Puerto Rico?

Do you guys know if there average stats for admission are pretty similar for the Puerto Rico?
No idea. The MSAR is only for the Puerto Rico campus.

They are a new program and it seems like they've worked hard to improve the application process (if previous threads are credible) from the first two years so I am extending them a bit of grace when it comes to my ability to evaluate them before being admitted.

Nice. Thanks for sharing that additional information. At least now I can be a little bit less obsessive until December 1st.

I would assume doing well in their MSMS program (I think I saw you had a 3.6) gives you a leg up because you proved you can handle the work and handle their particular methods of instruction.

Did they have a threshold for guaranteed interviews? It seems like a 3.6 would make it. Or were you referring to the fact that other programs have more directly stated linkages to their medical schools? In any instance, good luck!
From what i been hearing even those with a 3.0 gotten interviews.

From what i been hearing even those with a 3.0 gotten interviews.

That is interesting, though they probably had fantastic records aside from the 3.0: good MCAT and strong extracurriculars.

Does anyone
That is interesting, though they probably had fantastic records aside from the 3.0: good MCAT and strong extracurriculars.
True. Anything over 490 is decent for MSMS students. So as long as anyone has 3.0 and 490, their application will be looked at and theres a chance for an interview and matriculation. They probably also did decent on the NBME’s in the program.

Idk about question #1, I know a podiatrist, and 2 physician -scientist who gotten their medical degrees in their own countries ( i think india and nigeria) are also the professors. In regard to #2. heard from people they they feel like they are prepared to take STEP.
#3. They have USMLE questions built into the curriculum. They also partake in NBME’s
#4. I am not a student there so idk but their rotations are at different Mercy hospitals in saint louis and out of saint louis in other parts of missouri
Thank you.

Guys has Ponce St. L had a cohort complete their Step 1 yet? I can’t seem to find anywhere how they may have done. Thanks!

Guys has Ponce St. L had a cohort complete their Step 1 yet? I can’t seem to find anywhere how they may have done. Thanks!
I called Wendy and she gave me a really shady answer when I tried to get info about STEP.

Their first batch is still in 2nd year. no one in st louis has taken a step yet.

Ponce St. Louis hosted an AMCAS session this evening. It was intended for students who have not yet applied. It was interesting because students who haven't filled out AMCAS or taken the MCAT yet were still encouraged to apply as they accepted the January 31st MCAT sitting. The session was presented and hosted by Dean Kumar who seemed kind and passionate about the school and the school's mission. A few notes...
  • To date, they've received more than 2000 applications. She didn't specify if this was for both campuses or just Ponce St. Louis.
  • They will accept 150 at Ponce and 30 at St. Louis per accreditation by LCME.
  • She stated that interviews would begin "within a month" when asked.
  • The admissions committee meets weekly. The admissions committee is composed of individuals on both campuses and they consider applications for both campuses at the same time.
  • You can only apply to one campus, and they don't like transferring applications.
  • Interview invites often go out for the following week.
  • Interviews are virtual and MMI format.
  • Admissions decisions are sent via email.
  • The earliest admissions decisions will go out in December.
  • Next year they plan to begin an early admissions process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ponce St. Louis hosted an AMCAS session this evening. It was intended for students who have not yet applied. It was interesting because students who haven't filled out AMCAS or taken the MCAT yet were still encouraged to apply as they accepted the January 31st MCAT sitting. The session was presented and hosted by Dean Kumar who seemed kind and passionate about the school and the school's mission. A few notes...
  • To date, they've received more than 2000 applications. She didn't specify if this was for both campuses or just Ponce St. Louis.
  • They will accept 150 at Ponce and 30 at St. Louis per accreditation by LCME.
  • She stated that interviews would begin "within a month" when asked.
  • The admissions committee meets weekly. The admissions committee is composed of individuals on both campuses and they consider applications for both campuses at the same time.
  • You can only apply to one campus, and they don't like transferring applications.
  • Interview invites often go out for the following week.
  • Admissions decisions are sent via email.
  • The earliest admissions decisions will go out in December.
  • Next year they plan to begin an early admissions process.

2000 apps for 30 slots?!

Dear Lord! That isn’t much for St. Louis.

2000 apps for 30 slots?!

“…isn’t much…” Could you explain further? Even if they only end up with 2500 apps (she said they expected a rush closer to the deadline), if that’s for both campuses, that’s a 7.2% admission rate and a 1.2% admissions rate if that number is just for St. Louis. No matter how you look at it, competition is stiff and their admissions rate is similar to most other med schools across the country.

So if they are giving interviews in December, how long does msms grads have to wait before interview invites are given?

That's fair, I guess.

I'm just hoping my MSMS results can give me some leg up, though I do have other problems with my app besides the addition of this
Care to elaborate?. What other problems?

So if they are giving interviews in December, how long does msms grads have to wait before interview invites are given?
She didn’t mention this, as I assume this presentation seemed as if it were intended to help folks who have little understanding of application process.

It looks like they have an Open House for all programs in December. It might be a good time to ask that question then or to reach out to her directly as she invited questions; although, mentioned that responses may be delayed up to 24 hours due to seasonal busyness and her other obligations. She shared her email with the group, PM me if you’d like her email address.

That's fair, I guess.

I'm just hoping my MSMS results can give me some leg up, though I do have other problems with my app besides the addition of this program.
As a graduate of their program, I would certainly reach out to her or attend them OpenHouse in December.

PM me if you would like the email address she shared during the presentation.

She didn’t mention this, as I assume this presentation seemed as if it were intended to help folks who have little understanding of application process.

It looks like they have an Open House for all programs in December. It might be a good time to ask that question then or to reach out to her directly as she invited questions; although, mentioned that responses may be delayed up to 24 hours due to seasonal busyness and her other obligations. She shared her email with the group, PM me if you’d like her email address.
Thank you, but honestly you’re better off reaching out to another faculty member. She never response to emails

Not yet! But Ponce has metrics you can see that projects the likelihood of you passing STEP based on how well you do on the course exams.

Reactions: 2 users
2000 apps for 30 slots?!

For this year's MD1 class, we have 14 former MSMS and 16 new M1s. So you may be competing for less than 30 spots depending on which program you're coming from.

Great questions! Will get back to you in a bit
1. Yes we have visiting faculty that are physicians. We have physicians on staff too. It's easy to have connections with physicians if you make an effort even as early as first semester. Our dean has good connections with physicians in the St. Louis area and will help you if you want to target physicians from certain specialties.

2. I feel the courses are preparing me well as a M1. Most med students across the country use 3rd party sources to study for STEP anyways. We have metrics here at PHSU that predict how likely you will pass STEP.

3. We have Osmosis and might get UWorld soon. Our class did a group MedSchool Bootcamp and saved a lot of money for this year.

4. We have a student-run clinic in the works. We have a lot of office visits and standardized patient events built into the pre-clinical curriculum. Being in St. Louis is a big plus. There are numerous med related organizations and free clinics that are looking for volunteers. Also SLU and WashU are right next door and are open to collaborate with PHSU students. The location is ideal for a medical school, there is a big need with the patient population in the area.
bump

For this year's MD1 class, we have 14 former MSMS and 16 new M1s. So you may be competing for less than 30 spots depending on which program you're coming from.

That is stiff competition!

Wonder what the GPAs of the MSMS students were?