2023-2024 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I Interviewed about 3 months ago and still no reply. A good think not to get a R back yet though.
I would reach out and see what the situation is if you haven’t already!

Members don't see this ad.

Graduation for MSMS was last week, so it's interesting to me that you'd choose to post this now. This post makes it seem like you may not have done very well and/or didn't get into the MD program and are disgruntled about it.
No, I'm advancing to year 2 now but I'm just trying to help students who are still considering PHSU for their medical education. The school is messy in every way possible and I'm surprised it is still LCME accredited. Then again we all prepped for weeks for their visit. I started studying for step this summer and can see how this school has wronged us. The previous M2's are about to take step so let's see how they do.

Also, I wanted to point out how they didn't have supplemental support to aid with classes. There were no tutors for microbiology in STL nor Ponce. That's also why they just had everyone pass that class because they had no one to teach it in the summer. Our class average was a 62% which is below passing...if that puts anything in perspective.

Bottom line just do DO. Although it is an MD degree it'll be better to go to a more established DO school. Please let me know if you guys have any questions because I will give you the honest truth!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm advancing to year 2 now but I'm just trying to help students who are still considering PHSU for their medical education. The school is messy in every way possible and I'm surprised it is still LCME accredited. Then again we all prepped for weeks for their visit. I started studying for step this summer and can see how this school has wronged us. The previous M2's are about to take step so let's see how they do.

Also, I wanted to point out how they didn't have supplemental support to aid with classes. There were no tutors for microbiology in STL nor Ponce. That's also why they just had everyone pass that class because they had no one to teach it in the summer. Our class average was a 62% which is below passing...if that puts anything in perspective.

Bottom line just do DO. Although it is an MD degree it'll be better to go to a more established DO school. Please let me know if you guys have any questions because I will give you the honest truth!
Hey there,

So, a couple things that aren’t clicking in my head! I’m not a student just an accepted student at the moment with plans to enroll!

1. Why don’t you transfer? AAMC gives you an out if feel that you’re not being educated or trained well enough by a school! Hard process but not impossible or unheard of!

2. Why are you taking microbiology in the summer? Did you fail the course and have to retake it? Typically summer classes for any med schools are for students that failed. Also, the classes should be P/F right? So, class averages do matter and 62% during a summer course sounds like it has more to do with the students than the course or school itself. Also, unless the TAs on campus were paid actors they exist. I don’t know about specifically for microbio, but I’m sure that will rectify itself, if majority of students are failing the class.

3. I responded directly to your thread and you may skipped over it! It doesn’t seem like your classmates feel the same as you so what makes your experience different? Because everything you said seems like normal things at any medical school. If you don’t prepare your self and self study or group study with classmates then you know results are what they are!

4. Could you be more specific about how the school wronged you in studying for step? What things were inaccurate that they taught you?? Seems interesting that PHSU would only have one whistleblower and not many if they truly felt that. Plus Step 1 has always been traditionally self study, you can take practice exams, questions and all that, but there isn’t many medical schools in US that has a Step 1 dedicated class. Usually they will push students to either use their own in house material (which is a mistake) or Use AMBOSS or Uworld, which probably 90% of medical student across the country use!

5. Do you think this situation is relative to just you and you weren’t prepared for medical school style studying? It seems like PHSU problem is maybe letting in some applicants who aren’t ready for medical school or even the MSMS program according to a couple former students earlier in the thread.

Please respond directly to the thread so we can all see (no DMs) and be informed! Thanks for informing us!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there,

So, a couple things that aren’t clicking in my head! I’m not a student just an accepted student at the moment with plans to enroll!

1. Why don’t you transfer? AAMC gives you an out if feel that you’re not being educated or trained well enough by a school! Hard process but not impossible or unheard of!

2. Why are you taking microbiology in the summer? Did you fail the course and have to retake it? Typically summer classes for any med schools are for students that failed. Also, the classes should be P/F right? So, class averages do matter and 62% during a summer course sounds like it has more to do with the students than the course or school itself. Also, unless the TAs on campus were paid actors they exist. I don’t know about specifically for microbio, but I’m sure that will rectify itself, if majority of students are failing the class.

3. I responded directly to your thread and you may skipped over it! It doesn’t seem like your classmates feel the same as you so what makes your experience different? Because everything you said seems like normal things at any medical school. If you don’t prepare your self and self study or group study with classmates then you know results are what they are!

4. Could you be more specific about how the school wronged you in studying for step? What things were inaccurate that they taught you?? Seems interesting that PHSU would only have one whistleblower and not many if they truly felt that. Plus Step 1 has always been traditionally self study, you can take practice exams, questions and all that, but there isn’t many medical schools in US that has a Step 1 dedicated class. Usually they will push students to either use their own in house material (which is a mistake) or Use AMBOSS or Uworld, which probably 90% of medical student across the country use!

5. Do you think this situation is relative to just you and you weren’t prepared for medical school style studying? It seems like PHSU problem is maybe letting in some applicants who aren’t ready for medical school or even the MSMS program according to a couple former students earlier in the thread.

Please respond directly to the thread so we can all see (no DMs) and be informed! Thanks for informing us!
I would say number 1 is virtually impossible. The AAMC says a lot of things but doing this is basically kissing your medical career good bye. They need a super solid legitimate reason. Although I don't believe all of the claims, I can definitely see how a new school can have a variety of issues. It is expected.

I would say number 1 is virtually impossible. The AAMC says a lot of things but doing this is basically kissing your medical career good bye. They need a super solid legitimate reason. Although I don't believe all of the claims, I can definitely see how a new school can have a variety of issues. It is expected.
Yeah I have a different experience with this! I’ve seen two people go through it with legit reasons. 1. Grades (so that person got kicked out of their initial program gave reasoning for this (had a pretty solid reason) and was accepted conditionally at another school) and the other had family circumstances that required them to be confined in the state so they were admitted to their state school. I think the hardest part is finding a school that is willing to take a transfer student. There aren’t too many that do that, but me knowing two personally is like I said early hard, but not impossible if the reasons are there and it’s not just you’re not doing well in the program and want a clean start with no other confounding factors!

Yeah I have a different experience with this! I’ve seen two people go through it with legit reasons. 1. Grades (so that person got kicked out of their initial program gave reasoning for this (had a pretty solid reason) and was accepted conditionally at another school) and the other had family circumstances that required them to be confined in the state so they were admitted to their state school. I think the hardest part is finding a school that is willing to take a transfer student. There aren’t too many that do that, but me knowing two personally is like I said early hard, but not impossible if the reasons are there and it’s not just you’re not doing well in the program and want a clean start with no other confounding factors!
Also the second person was also already accepted to their state school that previous cycle so I’m sure that helped, but yeah! I was definitely deep diving into the claims of this Annamouse person because I just want to be ready for whatever is to come at the end of the day school is school and apart of our journey to getting to where we want to be helping people and innovating the field of medicine. Just want to be fully equipped and have the facts!

The fact that this account was made recently to solely bash Ponce makes this look like a troll. Are there any other students who can provide some insight?

Reactions: 3 users

I think perhaps you may not be familiar with med schools in general, because your concerns are either 1. fairly universal or 2. untrue.

1. If you think all med schools don't prep for LCME to come, then I'm not sure what to tell you. The school is accredited, which they have to go through a rigorous and standardized process for every 4 years, because they meet the requirements set out by LCME. It would be literally impossible for the school to "trick" LCME into thinking they should be accredited. They are accredited because they should be, period.

2. If you think all med schools don't have their own materials that they push on their in-house exams, I'm not sure what to tell you. Like I said in a previous post, my partner is a WashU med student and they have their own materials that are not at all step relevant that they have to learn because the professor specialized in the topic, etc. It's just a part of med school.

3. Several of my M2 friends on our campus who did exceptionally well in micro (as well as all the other classes) last year were tutors, and the school pays those tutors on your behalf so it's free. In fact, those tutors are instructed to reach out to students who are doing poorly in certain subjects to make sure they have help if they want it. It's the responsibility of the individual student to reach back out and set up a time for tutoring. So saying there was no supplemental support is just untrue. Also, they provide sketchy and osmosis for free, sketchy in particular being a huge help for micro.

I fear that your "honest truth" is, at best, an exaggeration of structural problems that exist at most schools, and at worst, blatantly lying.

Reactions: 1 users

Additionally, I'm not sure how you would know how the school has "wronged us" as you're trying to study for Step 1 after literally only getting half of your preclinical training. Of course there's a massive amount of stuff you don't know. I think they've done a fine job, as someone that's actually finished preclinicals. Sure, there's been tons of studying happening (mostly bc I'm a crap test taker), but there's actually been very, very little that I've seen in my Step 1 studying so far that I've thought "wow I've never seen that before." I'm just not sure your take on this is very reliable as a first year.

Hi there! I’m also a current M2 and I just had to point out a few things!

I, personally, was a tutor for microbiology this semester, which I did on top of my own classes and step studying. I had a few M1s and MSMS I helped tutor and did some reviews with them before exams. I will say they do change the exams and micro was HARD, but I also realized that not many M1s requested a tutor. Like my colleague said the school pays us so it is free for students. So, that is on the students.

As for studying for step, I’m in dedicated right now. The school makes us score a certain number on an NBME made exam before they even allow us to take step, which I was able to get. You say that the school has “wronged you” while studying for step, but a majority of step is our year 2 material (pharm, pathology, etc). A lot of what I’m studying I have definitely seen/learned before and the year 1 material I’m reviewing we learned, it’s just so far ago I have to review a lot.

I won’t deny the school has issues and is disorganized in some areas. It’s a new sister campus and of course there are going to be growing pains as it is a new campus!

If you need help or need to talk, PM me. It’s going to be ok and you’re going to get through these rough few years!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey there,

1. Rarely happens

2. I didn't say I was taking it in the summer. I'm saying they passed people who shouldn't have passed. Summer just started....ofc I'm not talking about 62% being the summer class avg lol, it was our avg for this spring semester. Just is unfair to those who were actually passing and didn't need the faux push in grades to pass. Like if you're going to push the kids into passing might as well push me to honors but oh well.

3. Yeah I only just discovered what sdn was from my peers and thought I could help with the insight I've gained in this one year.

4. Step is self-study sure but classes are supposed to help with it and classes were useless. Classes were so useless a lot of students just stopped coming to class to help study for exams. Like think about it, med school is hard with the amount of content you have to memorize and then wasting half ur day in classes that are being taught by teachers who don't understand the concept themselves, is useless.

5 I know that a lot of my peers want to gas up the school so more people come and one day it can become a good med school but right now its suppppperrrrr rough and there are loads of issues. I know its a new med school but students shouldn't have to suffer this severely because of it. Especially sucks with the main campus in Ponce not willing to help. Like I hope this changes in the future where the STL campus can create the tests, teachers actually know what to teach and that they have teachers that actually know the topic. Until then the program is going to suck.

Hi there! I’m also a current M2 and I just had to point out a few things!

I, personally, was a tutor for microbiology this semester, which I did on top of my own classes and step studying. I had a few M1s and MSMS I helped tutor and did some reviews with them before exams. I will say they do change the exams and micro was HARD, but I also realized that not many M1s requested a tutor. Like my colleague said the school pays us so it is free for students. So, that is on the students.

As for studying for step, I’m in dedicated right now. The school makes us score a certain number on an NBME made exam before they even allow us to take step, which I was able to get. You say that the school has “wronged you” while studying for step, but a majority of step is our year 2 material (pharm, pathology, etc). A lot of what I’m studying I have definitely seen/learned before and the year 1 material I’m reviewing we learned, it’s just so far ago I have to review a lot.

I won’t deny the school has issues and is disorganized in some areas. It’s a new sister campus and of course there are going to be growing pains as it is a new campus!

If you need help or need to talk, PM me. It’s going to be ok and you’re going to get through these rough few years!
Maybe there weren't enough tutors then. There weren't even tutors on the PR campus who were willing to tutor for micro. Everyone was on their own and that might be also why the avgs for MD and MSMS were soooo low.

I'm just seeing how the step book beautifully explains everything in blocks and PHSU kinda had it willy nilly which makes it hard to relate all the sections together when you're not learning it together but I've heard that year 2 is more in blocks so that is exciting! Yay for actual structure!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Rarely happens

2. I didn't say I was taking it in the summer. I'm saying they passed people who shouldn't have passed. Summer just started....ofc I'm not talking about 62% being the summer class avg lol, it was our avg for this spring semester. Just is unfair to those who were actually passing and didn't need the faux push in grades to pass. Like if you're going to push the kids into passing might as well push me to honors but oh well.

3. Yeah I only just discovered what sdn was from my peers and thought I could help with the insight I've gained in this one year.

4. Step is self-study sure but classes are supposed to help with it and classes were useless. Classes were so useless a lot of students just stopped coming to class to help study for exams. Like think about it, med school is hard with the amount of content you have to memorize and then wasting half ur day in classes that are being taught by teachers who don't understand the concept themselves, is useless.

5 I know that a lot of my peers want to gas up the school so more people come and one day it can become a good med school but right now its suppppperrrrr rough and there are loads of issues. I know its a new med school but students shouldn't have to suffer this severely because of it. Especially sucks with the main campus in Ponce not willing to help. Like I hope this changes in the future where the STL campus can create the tests, teachers actually know what to teach and that they have teachers that actually know the topic. Until then the program is going to suck.
At WashU, approximately 15 students attend class on a given day in a class on 150......so, even at a top 5 med school most students decide they can learn better using 3rd party resources. Not exactly uncommon.

edit** I'm also not sure who on here is "gassing up" the school. The people on here who have disagreed with your broad and unfounded claims have also admitted that there are most definitely growing pains that happen because - dude - we are at a brand new school. Like did you not know that when you accepted the offer? Your expectations have to be adjusted to the reality. Honestly it just sounds like you don't know much about med schools and maybe didn't do much research on this school before coming.

1. Rarely happens

Lol, sorry to everyone in the thread my research job just ended so I clearly have nothing better to do that debate on SDN so back to it haha.

2. "There were no tutors for microbiology in STL nor Ponce. That's also why they just had everyone pass that class because they had no one to teach it in the summer." Referring to this sorry, that statement confused but thanks for the clarification.

4. I don't know any med students who go to class unless it's required. Yeah, I get that if the teacher doesn't understand the topic, but it seems you're in the minority thinking this about your professors, but we will see you could be very right.

5. Yeah, it's a new school, but the good thing about that is you get to be apart of the change and create something good (luckily they have a history with the PR campus being around for 46 years). You got on here and told random strangers to not go to a school because it's a new program, you seem to be struggling, and the school is disorganized. Med schools who've been around for decades are still disorganized. I get your frustrations, but just didn't seem right to bash the school for all your shortcomings.

The incoming class is in good hands with the rising M3s and M2s at the school. Things will definitely be smoother for y'all than it was for us. Exciting times ahead!

Reactions: 4 users
At WashU, approximately 15 students attend class on a given day in a class on 150......so, even at a top 5 med school most students decide they can learn better using 3rd party resources. Not exactly uncommon.

edit** I'm also not sure who on here is "gassing up" the school. The people on here who have disagreed with your broad and unfounded claims have also admitted that there are most definitely growing pains that happen because - dude - we are at a brand new school. Like did you not know that when you accepted the offer? Your expectations have to be adjusted to the reality. Honestly it just sounds like you don't know much about med schools and maybe didn't do much research on this school before coming.
I'm just pointing out that class is useless, not saying anyone has to go to class.....lol. Once again just sharing the truths of attending school here nothing more. It is a new school, give it 5-10 years and maybe things will get better but right now it's questionable and borderline laughable on how bad it is

The incoming class is in good hands with the rising M3s and M2s at the school. Things will definitely be smoother for y'all than it was for us. Exciting times ahead!
Exactly things will get smoother and smoother as the years go on and people won't have to suffer how we did! 🤗....... butttt it'll take years to get to that point

@Annamouse I would personally love to meet up with you on campus when my class starts on July 29th and ask for all the advice you have for first year because you somehow made it through it with all of turmoil you supposedly faced. I think you should come talk to our class about it and give everyone the run down. Especially since you think people shouldn't attend. Not everyone is on sdn so might be helpful advice. I trust you'd have no problem helping out some M1s right? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
@Annamouse I would personally love to meet up with you on campus when my class starts on July 29th and ask for all the advice you have for first year because you somehow made it through it with all of turmoil you supposedly faced. I think you should come talk to our class about it and give everyone the run down. Especially since you think people shouldn't attend. Not everyone is on sdn so might be helpful advice. I trust you'd have no problem helping out some M1s right? :unsure:
I am not promoting going to class or not going to class just was pointing out it's not worth the trouble.

My advice is don't go here, go DO if anything but I do understand for most this is their only MD acceptance. If any of you commit to your acceptance and end up coming here, just know that with the struggles that already come from going to med school, there will be additional struggles and stress because of how disorganized PHSU is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you're having trouble reading but I'll say it again. I am not promoting going to class or not going to class just was pointing out it's not worth the trouble. Let me know if that still doesn't make sense! Also, it's cute how patriotic ur acting for a school you don't even go to yet, like dudeee I'm just trying to tell you the truth, sorry it's not what you want to hear :rofl:

My advice is don't go here, go DO if anything but I do understand for most this is their only MD acceptance. If any of you commit to your acceptance and end up coming here, just know that with the struggles that already come from going to med school, there will be additional struggles and stress because of how disorganized PHSU is.
Patriotic isn't the word more like confused. I've only asked about you and your experience never "stood up" for the school, which is what I assume you mean by "patriotic". Fortunately, I don't have any expectations so I can adapt to whatever comes. Probably useful advice.

Also, "Especially since you think people shouldn't attend" referred to your earlier comment of "DON"T GO HERE FOR THE MD or MSMS program". Fortunately, had two acceptances (both newer MD programs), but ponce has a longer history with the PR campus so yeah!

But again all that aside you should give the incoming M1s advice since you're advising us on SDN (not a lot of the incoming M1s are on here), what's the problem with doing that in person so everyone can here your advice?

You're telling your truth and it is valid for you.

Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances/rejections is going to be? I’m in the MSMS program and still haven’t heard anything after my interview.

Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances/rejections is going to be? I’m in the MSMS program and still haven’t heard anything after my interview.
Called two weeks ago and I was told there's no timeline to receive an update. They told me to keep checking my email.But I'm guessing that at this point the class is full.

Called two weeks ago and I was told there's no timeline to receive an update. They told me to keep checking my email.But I'm guessing that at this point the class is full.
I wouldnt guess the class was full considering last time someone was accepted like first week of july. PHSU-STL is an odd one in that they are moving very slow . and i heard most recently they still trying to make decisions

I feel like someone said earlier in the thread wendy told them everyone should know by the 28th of june so im guessing between now and then.

I feel like someone said earlier in the thread wendy told them everyone should know by the 28th of june so im guessing between now and then.
Yeah, I am not holding my breath, to be honest. Many schools never send an update at the end of the cycle, and the many threads on this forum seem to indicate that this school is notorious for this. The new app cycle has already begun, so it makes sense to me for them to be pretty much done, barring any last-minute withdrawals or deferments.

Commit to Enroll is 21 days before first day of orientation. Thats when the school is certain if they still have openings or if they are full.

Has any MSMS received any response yet? I spoke to Wendy who confirmed the first day of classes is Aug. 5, and interviews/admissions will end mid-July!

Has any MSMS received any response yet? I spoke to Wendy who confirmed the first day of classes is Aug. 5, and interviews/admissions will end mid-July!

We were told the first day is end of July right after orientation

I have a question! So I got an email from main campus today that sounded like a rejection cuz it said that I won’t be receiving an interview and that the class is full. However, I already interviewed last month. I called STL campus and they said that my status is under review. What does this mean? My portal also says under review so just confused. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a question! So I got an email from main campus today that sounded like a rejection cuz it said that I won’t be receiving an interview and that the class is full. However, I already interviewed last month. I called STL campus and they said that my status is under review. What does this mean? My portal also says under review so just confused. Has this happened to anyone else?
Unless you applied to both PR and STL campuses then you shouldn’t have an admissions decision from both theoretically (I don’t know if that’s possible), but main campus makes all admissions decisions, that will change after the first STL graduating class from all the I formation I gather. I would call the main campus and get clarification! I also got two confusing decisions and received clarity from main campus admissions. One was for PR and the other for STL, but I only applied to STL campus! Hope this helps

Has anyone received an acceptance that showed through a portal before getting an acceptance letter ?.

Has anyone received an acceptance that showed through a portal before getting an acceptance letter ?.
Not an acceptance but was placed on the alternate list and the only way to know was to check the portal. Still never received an email about it but did confirm it with Wendy. And according the portal still on the alternate list.

Has anyone heard if the class is full? I think today was the last day to commit

As of right now there are 27 students enrolling in the group me but I have seen some in our meetings who haven’t joined the chat.

Anyone who got waitlisted hear any updates?
Funny enough I just received a call from Ponce St. Louis and they asked if I was still interested in the program. I told them I was and she told me that was good and if they had something open they would let me know. So probably doesn’t mean anything but wanted to share just in case.

They called me as well, I can't attend there anymore since I already moved to another state. Good luck everyone!

They called me as well, I can't attend there anymore since I already moved to another state. Good luck everyone!

Probably just shoring up the list to see that IF it became available the people on the list were still interested. Makes the most sense.