2019-2020 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:

1. "The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions." Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

2. Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

3. The TTUHSC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities." Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

4. Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Texas Tech University - El Paso

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. "The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions." Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

2. Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

3. The TTUHSC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities." Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

4. Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

@PapaGuava

Members don't see this ad :)
Is question 4 an adversity question? I'm a little confused about the usage of the word "experiences".

Is question 4 an adversity question? I'm a little confused about the usage of the word "experiences".

I don't speak for the application, but your perspective of answering it as an "adversity question" is one of multiple appropriate approaches.

is question #2 actually optional? I didn't have any particular individuals influence me to do medicine, so this really doesn't apply to me. Is it okay to just say not applicable?

Again, I don't speak for the application, but I see all of these as interview questions. One or more person is asking you question #2, and you can either say "Next question" or you can answer the question. Unfortunately, applicants have a limited means of expressing themselves to admissions committees, so I would take advantage of every opportunity that is provided. That said, if you cannot or do not want to answer the question, then N/A is an option.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone who attends this school that would be willing to answer a few questions? I would really appreciate it!

Is there anyone who attends this school that would be willing to answer a few questions? I would really appreciate it!

If you haven't already, skim through the past year or two of PLFSOM's school specific threads so you can read some posts from current students just to fill you in. That said, myself (MS2) and others keep an eye on this thread, so feel free to ask your questions here and someone will see it. If you would rather PM, that's cool too.

Do the adcoms generally know the secondary prompts from other TX schools? I was thinking of using my human condition essay (after shrinking it) from A&M for one of the PLFSOM secondary prompts. would this be a red flag if the adcoms know that its one of the A&M prompts?

Do the adcoms generally know the secondary prompts from other TX schools? I was thinking of using my human condition essay (after shrinking it) from A&M for one of the PLFSOM secondary prompts. would this be a red flag if the adcoms know that its one of the A&M prompts?
They can’t see each other’s essays, so recycle to your heart’s content.
Just proofread CAREFULLY to be sure you don’t talk about one school in another’s essay.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II. I have interviews scheduled already on both dates available. IDK what to do. :(

II. I have interviews scheduled already on both dates available. IDK what to do. :(
Yes, call and say you have other commitments for both of those days and ask nicely if they can offer you another date.
And congratulations for being so sought-after!

II! Love this school, over the moon :)

II about an hour ago!

Reactions: 4 users
Is there something wrong with the secondary portal? I cant submit a payment.

Submitted my secondary now! Hope its not too late
The more I research this school, the more it is becoming my favorite!

I realized I made two grammar mistakes in one of my responses. How bad of a situation is it? One is a spelling error and one is the wrong use of a comma.

II! Complete 7/5. Casper sent sometime last week. August 29 and Sept 5th were offered.

How did it go? What were some questions asked, if you dont mind sharing?
Impressions?
It went well! Campus tour was a lot of standing/walking so be prepared for that. Med students are all really nice and helpful. Curriculum is actually a huge selling point for the school too because it’s very integrated. As for the interviews themselves, they were both very nice, no really tough questions. They mainly just wanted to see your motivations for medicine and really what experiences you’ve had/what they mean to you. The toughest Q I had was about what I would fix about the healthcare system. Overall everyone else who was there said their questions were easy too

Reactions: 5 users
It went well! Campus tour was a lot of standing/walking so be prepared for that. Med students are all really nice and helpful. Curriculum is actually a huge selling point for the school too because it’s very integrated. As for the interviews themselves, they were both very nice, no really tough questions. They mainly just wanted to see your motivations for medicine and really what experiences you’ve had/what they mean to you. The toughest Q I had was about what I would fix about the healthcare system. Overall everyone else who was there said their questions were easy too
Thanks for sharing.
How long was the wait from submitting your secondary to receiving an interview? I have been waiting for 3 weeks now. Wondering how long others are waiting

Thanks for sharing.
How long was the wait from submitting your secondary to receiving an interview? I have been waiting for 3 weeks now. Wondering how long others are waiting

Buckle in pal, submitted 6/8 ish, LM 75, still waiting

II today. primary 7/10 Secondary 7/31 Casper sent sometime early this week or late last week.

LM 75

Reactions: 4 users