2021-2022 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all. I interviewed here yesterday but I can't find my interviewers' emails so I can send a thank you note. I have their names written down but I can't find their emails anywhere. Any suggestions?
if you search on the schools's site for med school faculty/staff you should be able to find them, or if not attach 2 .pdf notes (labeled by name of interviewer) to an email to admissions office and ask them to kindly forward them to the interviewers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all. I interviewed here yesterday but I can't find my interviewers' emails so I can send a thank you note. I have their names written down but I can't find their emails anywhere. Any suggestions?

You can do what wysdoc said or I wouldn't even worry about it. Your score for the interview is likely determined as soon as you finish and sending a thank you note is unlikely to change anything

Reactions: 1 users
They sent an email after the interview saying to send thank you letters as PDF attachments to [email protected] with the interview name and they would pass it along to the interviewer. It was in the email that had the post-interview survey

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent in an update post-interview? I do not see a tab on the portal to do so, should I send it in to the admissions email?

They sent an email after the interview saying to send thank you letters as PDF attachments to [email protected] with the interview name and they would pass it along to the interviewer. It was in the email that had the post-interview survey
I don't think i received the post-interview survey. I interviewed on last Friday the 5th so maybe it will be sent soon?

I completed my secondary application on 7/1 and have not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know If they are still sending interview invitations? Or should I assume I'm not getting one? I am an in state applicant with 4.0 GPA and 516 MCAT. I'm starting to get worried.

I acquired an II today.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Have anyone prematch here after Oct 15th?
I have not heard of any. Unfortunately, last year very few if any were given out after Oct, 15th. Everyone just had to wait for the match. But its a different year and who knows what good things can happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, most TMDSAS schools prematch 1:1 for seats. They have some attrition and then fill those remaining seats in the match. Usually by the end of their cycles most schools offer 2:1 in terms of acceptances to fill their class size

From my understanding, most TMDSAS schools prematch 1:1 for seats. They have some attrition and then fill those remaining seats in the match. Usually by the end of their cycles most schools offer 2:1 in terms of acceptances to fill their class size
Hi @Akela98 - for the first time TMDSAS published a report on how many people get pre-match offers. It's only about 1 in 7. Here's the link #46

It might be closer to correct to say that schools try not to go over their class size before the Match. This year the schools seem a little cautious with pre-match offers, maybe because they saw that A&M overfilled their class last year.

II about 2 hours ago! It's been radio silence for a few months

• Care
  • Love
Actually going to decline and hope someone here gets it
II, Completed on June 14th. wow... it's been 5 months. Maybe your decline helped me lol thanks

• Haha
II, Completed on June 14th. wow... it's been 5 months. Maybe your decline helped me lol thanks
I think some schools are moving extremely slowly this cycle.

Have any pre-matched TTUHSC students requested permission to change your academic plan? If so, what response did you receive and how long was the turn around?

By academic plan, do you mean what program you intend to pursue (like FMAT or a dual-degree program)? If so, I haven't personally done it, but I do know that the admissions dean talked about it during my interview day. He said it is really important to let them know as soon as possible because they limit how many students can be in each program. The admissions office is pretty responsive, so I would assume it would only take a few days for them to give you a response or at least provide additional information.
I meant more in terms of changing your course enrollment or degree completion. I'm a non-trad applicant, and I had genuinely hoped to complete a 2nd bachelors degree en route to earning all my med school pre-requisites but it just does not look like it will be financially possible (I had to borrow private loans just to pay for this semester, and also drained my savings. I need to keep what little savings I have left to be able to pay to move for school next summer). I have completed all the pre-reqs as well as a previous undergrad degree, so I am hoping they would let me change my spring enrollment plans, but I was not sure. I don't know how common a request this is, since most traditional applicants, even with a gap year, just complete the one degree.

I meant more in terms of changing your course enrollment or degree completion. I'm a non-trad applicant, and I had genuinely hoped to complete a 2nd bachelors degree en route to earning all my med school pre-requisites but it just does not look like it will be financially possible (I had to borrow private loans just to pay for this semester, and also drained my savings. I need to keep what little savings I have left to be able to pay to move for school next summer). I have completed all the pre-reqs as well as a previous undergrad degree, so I am hoping they would let me change my spring enrollment plans, but I was not sure. I don't know how common a request this is, since most traditional applicants, even with a gap year, just complete the one degree.
Plans do change, and as long as you have completed the pre-reqs for this school it should not affect your admission offer. You still might want to email them with a brief description of your change in plans, to say that in light of having an offer of admission you have decided not to continue working towards a second bachelors degree.

I was in a similar position last year it's really not a big deal. I was planning to finish my 2nd bachelor's if I didn't get accepted but when I got my acceptance I dropped the classes I was planning for the spring. I just sent in my transcripts and as long as you completed all of your prereqs and it matches what you listed in TMDSAS you're good, even if your future courses don't match what you end up completing.

my advice to students is always to drop anything they dont need for graduation or med school once they secure an admission, including dropping out of a post baccalaureate program. I know people who didnt go to med school because they felt bad about not doing well in post baccalaureate program even though they got into a DO program in the middle of the post bac.

My offer letter specifically requires me to complete the program I mentioned in my application or notify the school of any changes. There should not be any issues with not doing a second degree, but they should be sure and notify the admissions office to ensure there is not a technicality that prevents them from being able to matriculate.

Mine says the same, which is why I was asking. I have reached out via email but I have not heard anything back officially yet. I don't want to just drop my classes and then risk losing my acceptance, esp since TTUHSC is my top choice.

Congrats! Was the acceptance into any dual degree or special programs? FMAT, MD&E, MD/MPH?
Just the traditional MD program; my understanding is that the special program applicants also hear back at the same time with their MD decision

When should I expect further communication after scheduling my interview date? Will they send an email out a few days prior to the interview?

Also, any tips from people who already interviewed? Anything to expect?

Actually going to decline and hope someone here gets it
I also declined a couple days ago via email, but never received a response acknowledging. Did you? I just want to make sure my message went through.

Last edited:
Does TTUHSC have a lot of students get in through the match? Or after the match from a waitlist? Just wondering if I need to prep my plan B since I haven't gotten a prematch (interviewed 10/1).

If there are any previous interviewees or current students who could help me with the following questions, I'd appreciate it.

1. I want to visit Lubbock, but I haven't been able to yet. How's the city and the prevailing attitude? Conservative? Generally laid-back? I lived in the Dallas and Austin area for the majority of my adult life. However, the first decade of my life I lived in the Wichita county area. Should I expect it to be more of this "vibe"?

2. What seems to be the general push in regards to the mission and focus of the school? Family Med/Primary care seems to be a strong backbone considering they have the FMAT program. Any particular research initiatives? Anything else that TTUHSC seems to really be pushing?

3. How are the facilities? Are they relatively up-to-date with the latest and greatest technology or do they seem pretty behind? First glance, they seem to have some nicer facilities with iPad in the anatomy rooms and their Sim. Center.

That's all for now!

1. West Texas is very laid back and friendly. It is conservative, but campus and the surrounding area is very liberal.

2. TTUHSC is pushing big for telehealth right now. You can read about it in the strategic plan. I don't know of a specific large research push, but cardiology and oncology are the biggest clinical research groups right now.

3. The facilities are great. They had multiple buildings open within the past 2 or 3 years. For example, the university center opened in 2019 and is really nice. The anatomy lab is also nice and new.
Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Lubbock is not in any way liberal. If you come with the mindset of a college kid from Austin, you're in for a bad time. Almost all the physicians I've interacted with are conservative.

TTUHSC is not a research heavy program. If you want research you'll have to grind it out. And yes, major push for Family med here.

Many of the outdated facilities are gone. TTUHSC has updated many of the buildings

Did anyone interview with the engineering faculties here for the Engineering Medicine program? Are they more research-oriented or industry-oriented? How was the interview like?